Cheryl Burke: Two Time Champion

• Please log in to reply

2071 replies to this topic

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:27 AM

Cheryl was such a breath of fresh air when she first showed up. The first season, aside from the lovely Charlotte, left such a bitter taste in my mouth, I was more than happy to transfer my interest to this new face who wasn't one of the most hyped names or faces, but jumped right out of the starting gate in fine form. Cheryl and Drew started out great and got better and better as their season progressed. They were the underdogs, the sentimental favorites, and the stars, all in one. They had complete respect and trust in each other, true friendship, yet scorching chemistry. They rocked nearly every form of dance. They never had a bad week. Cheryl's personality was so fun and vivacious. Drew brought out her best.

I miss that Cheryl. The Cheryl of today is very competent, but one senses she would rather be anywhere else than on the dance floor. I'm not sure whether she has DWTS fatigue or if she can't stand Ian.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:53 AM

I actually thought she and Ian seemed a bit better tonight. I don't think they have much chemistry on the dance floor, but part of that I chalk up to Ian concentrating so hard on steps and being so in his head, he's not really focusing and connecting with his partner.

But whatever fight or frustrations they had with each other this week, I did think they seemed to like each other a little more tonight. I didn't get the sense that Cheryl wanted to hurt him at least.

As far as DWTS fatigue, I think the girl just has fatigue in general. She may be only 22 years old, but she is going to wear herself into the ground at the rate she's going. She needs to take the next season off and NOT tour if there is another DWTS tour this summer.

Edited by msrayrudd, Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:53 AM.

klm1

klm1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:57 AM

Cheryl is my favorite pro. While I like Drew, I never got the "Drew/Cheryl are the best ever" love fest. And I didn't see her face "light up" when she danced with Drew last week. Nor do I get the alleged aversion Cheryl has toward Ian. I can't count the number of times I've read that she "obviously doesn't like him", or is "creeped out" by him, on and on and on. I just don't see it. Since I pay more attention to her than whoever she's dancing with, or standing/walking next to, whatever, I think I would have seen something, anything, by now. Must be blind as a bat!

polka dots

polka dots

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:09 AM

I loved Cheryl and Drew. They're still the best couple of the entire series for me. I was extremely disappointed when I couldn't watch them on the tour because I had already scheduled a vacation at that time. I went completely nuts when Drew jumped out at last week's results show. And I would be perfectly happy if Cheryl didn't compete next season but came back every now and then with Drew to do some exhibitions. If only...

And then when I first heard she was paired with Emmitt, I immediately thought that he would be her Kenny Mayne/Tucker Carlson/Evander Holyfield/Etc. to make up for having such an awesome partner in the previous season. But he clearly wasn't the crap partner. And I totally enjoyed watching her win the trophy again. I think this demonstrated what a great partner and teacher Cheryl is. They didn't capture my heart the way she did with Drew but I still enjoyed them the most out of everyone that season. And they still made me smile. Just not the crazy, giddy, insane, makes-my-mouth hurt smile that I got whenever I watched her and Drew perform.

And now, watching her with Ian, I do agree with msrayrudd that Cheryl seems a bit worn down. I still think she's doing an excellent job teaching Ian and choreographing but it's clear that Ian has a huge mental block that neither he nor Cheryl can knock down. In any case, I'll be honest and admit that Cheryl is 80% of the reason that I call in and vote for them.

Even though Cheryl seems a bit tired, I'm selfish and I hope there's another tour with her and Drew so I can finally go see them.

Edited by polka dots, Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:13 AM.

Ladygirl

Ladygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:46 AM

I seem to remember that even with Drew and Emmith she was pretty quiet in the beginning. I think posters here were even thinking she was cold, and pretty much a bitch. Maybe she just takes her time to get to know her partner and to get closer to him?

Or maybe it's her 3rd season and she's pacing herself differently?

I really enjoy seeing her and Ian, they will never be Drew & Cheryl for me (whose dances I still regularly rewatch), but her choreography is great, and I always remember her dances.

A Beaverhausen

A Beaverhausen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:18 AM

This is my first season of watching, but I think her look last week (with the hair extensions) was really flattering. I don't like her "Liza With A Z" hair.

shortpplfedup

shortpplfedup

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

I didn't find the extensions flattering at all! I thought she looked terrible, and completely unlike herself. Some people just look better with short hair, and the shag suits her.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

I vaguely remember the first week of S2 people thought she was a bitch and really mean to Drew. Then once they hit the dance floor and had an obvious connection, people changed their tune.

Last season, again, I remember there was lots of talk at the beginning how people thought she was frustrated with Emmitt and didn't like Emmitt, but from about halfway through the season it was obvious that it wasn't true. People were analyzing their body language in confessionals and etc.

I also agree that I don't see most of the differences in her that people seem to see from season to season. She seems like the same hard working, driven person we've always seen--but DWTS is never going to be completely new to her like it was that first season with Drew (and the way it is for someone like Julianne now).

Like the first season she won she was as genuinely excited, or maybe even moreso than Drew. Last season she was excited, but when she won it seemed like she was more thrilled for Emmitt than for herself.

The only thing I have noted is that sometimes she looks a little uncomfortable around Ian, usually when he's gushing about her, but I thought they seemed better last night.

babyfishfel

babyfishfel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:19 AM

She's only 22?! So she's teaching these celebrities decades older than she is. I applaud her commanding respect from them. I mean, even if Ian isn't her favorite partner and he's trying to give a little too much input to the choreography, he still knows she's the one to listen to. er, he does know that, right?

Tattooed

Tattooed

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

I've always loved Cheryl! She's a fantastic dancer and has a great bod.
This season with Ian, I get the sense that she's under a lot of pressure. Also, I think that the judges are unfairly picking on Ian's performances simply because he's paired with Cheryl. Personally, I think the two of them look great out there on the dance floor!

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:19 AM

I think the short hair really suits her. The extensions make her look like something from a 1950's movie.

I think she is among the most talented choreographers ever and think that people including the judges are being unnnecessarily harsh because nobody wants her to threepeat. Even some people who liked her before, are against her now, which I don't quite get because it isn't like any Yankee fan has ever said hey the Yankees always win, I hope somebody else wins because it is too much. I can understand not liking her now if you never did cause I'm a Mets fan. I think that it is particularly harsh on Ian because he's never gotten the opportunity to win and it is not his fault Cheryl has.

jazmyne

jazmyne

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:09 AM

I love Ian, so I'm glad that he has a strong partner. I do think there's some pressure on the judges to make Cheryl & any partner really "earn" a repeat.

I do like Cheryl's hair, and I realized tonight that I'm very used to the way Cheryl throws up her arms, then turns and hugs her partner when they're safe. I think she's genuinely happy to get to keep going.

Sesana

Sesana

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 7:47 AM

I liked the long hair on Cheryl last week, but I do agree that the short hair looks better on her. And it's her signature now. I am glad that she's stopped wearing so much eye makeup. In her first DWTS, she had so much on she looked like she had two black eyes. She's really toned it down, and I think she looks much prettier without all of that.

Ripley68

Ripley68

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 9:13 PM

I love Cheryl's short hair, but after watching last night, I cant' stand how she throws it around so much. I swear she is going to giver herself whiplash.

I love Cheryl's short hair, but after watching last night, I cant' stand how she throws it around so much. I swear she is going to giver herself whiplash. I know they are supposed to make head whips, but she just looks like its painful.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

Ha. I figured Cheryl's just pissed that she wasn't paired with the favorite and only turns on her Cherylness whenever they get announced as safe. The smile, the celebratory arms in the air, the "sincere" hug.

I liked her in the first season, but with each subsequent season what seemed charming and fresh has become pat and routine. Plus, I'd really love to see how she handles having to work with someone like Jerry Springer, Kenny Mayne, George Hamilton or John Ratzenberger. The "toughest" challenge she got was Emmitt, and as we saw with Clyde, even the most gangly and awkward Hall of Fame-level jock is going to slide by a few weeks on popularity alone. But she's been given two relatively young and fit celebrities and an ex-jock who could fake dancing (because Emmitt really wasn't that great, he just could shake his hips which gave the illusion of dancing) well enough to win it for her.

And she doesn't seem to be too happy with someone else wearing her "bright and bubbly fresh new face" mantle.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 11:09 AM

I don't understand why Cheryl is expected to be happy and bubbly at all times. What human being is like that? Of course she's no longer a fresh face to the show, but I doubt she's unhappy that others are. The whole competition is never going to be fresh to her like it is to Julianne now. Let's see if Julianne's enthusiasm is still quite as intense two seasons down the line.

I've seen no evidence or heard words out of Cheryl's mouth to express that she's pissed to not be on top of the leaderboard or that she expects to win this seaon. The partnership with Ian isn't on par what she had with her last two partners, but do you honestly think she came in expecting to three-peat? It's not as if she's not putting in the time with Ian or half assing the competition.

If she's stressed about anything, it's probably all the damn pressure that people are putting on her to three-peat. If she doesn't win, then she's got people negating her last two wins as pure luck. Especially some that are still pissed about Mario not winning last season. If she comes close to the end, then of course the competition is fixed in her favor because she gets partners with a fanbase.

Edited by msrayrudd, Apr 26, 2007 @ 11:30 AM.

klm1

klm1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 12:12 PM

Thank you msrayrudd. I agree with everything you said. This Cheryl bashing is ridiculous. Sounds like a lot of bitterness still floating around from seasons past. Move on people.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:06 PM

She's not, but when she responds in the exact same way week in week out makes it seem like it's more of a front than a genuine response to being safe.

It's not bashing, just a difference of opinion. What seemed genuine and charming with Drew, seems like a mask in this third season and what once appeared unfeigned now feels manipulative. I mean, is it really likely that she forms these deep and heartfelt friendships with three very different ment that she barely knows? At least they're not trying to sell us how great her relationship with Ian is.

And if she's human, might some of her humanity not be sprinkles and puppies? I just feel that a lot of what was natural to Cheryl in season one has become a PR campaign three seasons down the line, and I doubt that opinion will change until she gets a real training challenge and comes through it with a fraction of Kym's or Edyta's sunniness.

Edited by vallegirl, Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:12 PM.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

I'm fine with difference of opinion and of course there are always going to be people who don't like someone, that's expected. But it seems what you're saying, or how I'm interpreting it, is a bit contradictory.

You're saying on the one hand because she had good relationships with Drew and Emmitt, they weren't real and it was a PR manipulation. But her partnership with Ian isn't being pimped and most don't think they have chemistry, so if it was all some big PR stunt, why wouldn't she do the same here? Why would there be no big fake PR stunt here?

Just seems ridiculous to hold the woman accountable for not being assigned a bad partner as yet.

Not to mention, you are going to form some sort of relationship with someone when you are working together with them 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. That goes for all the couples. For some it lasts when the show ends and others it doesn't. I can't fault her because her past partners genuinely liked her.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:38 PM

I said what seemed natural with Drew has ossified into what appears to be a facade with Ian, so it calls into question how genuine she's been all along.

Personally I couldn't care less if she's peaches and cream or Cruella de Vil, but what appeared to be unfeigned in the first season feels completely manipulative now, and I'd rather someone be an honest bitch than a fake angel.

I don't know which is which with Cheryl, but while she earned her first win, she was handed her second one because her partner was really popular and the best dancer in the competition was raked over the coals by the judges and the editing and now, if she loses, they've already set it up to be Ian's fault. And it just feels to me like the production has set up some kind of Cheryl hype machine that bugs me. And she bugs me along with it, because it just feels to me like either she's buying into her own hype this season, or worse, she's the one selling it.

Edited by vallegirl, Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:42 PM.

lioness51

lioness51

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:49 PM

Not to mention, you are going to form some sort of relationship with someone when you are working together with them 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. That goes for all the couples. For some it lasts when the show ends and others it doesn't. I can't fault her because her past partners genuinely liked her.

And you know for me...that's one of the biggest pieces of evidence that Cheryl really is indeed a very cool person; that she's managed to become very close and stay close with both of the partners she's had and if some want to see that as false and a calculated PR move rather than sincere then hey, more power to you. However, that makes little sense to me because that would mean Drew and Emmitt are participating in it and what would be the purpose, they already won.

What I mean by that is if Cheryl alone was going around saying, "yeah I'm still really close to them both..." without any word from either men, then it might be suspect to someone but we know she and Drew are still close, he talks about her, talks about hanging out with her and Emmitt still speaks glowingly about her too. I don't get the sense that either guy is pretending that they really adore her, they truly seem like they developed a good friendship with her and that's telling. Honestly, I didn't even truly realize that Emmitt and Cheryl were that close during most of S3, until the finals when they have those retrospective journey things and he started speaking so glowingly about her that even brought her to tears. Only then did it seem to me that they'd actually formed a nice bond so I'm not seeing how she's portrayed these over the top, calculated closeness with her partners.

As for the response to being safe...honestly, I don't get it. She looks excited and hugs her partner...what's the big deal? Half of the comments on other boards are already saying the girl can't stand Ian and isn't as close to him as with her other partners, so if she just stands there when they're safe and barely looks at him, it'd just be more ammunition for them that she hates him. However when she seems excited and embraces him, then it's a put on. Honestly, I just think Cheryl's competitive and while she's probably told herself she won't win again this season, that doesn't mean she doesn't want to last as long as possible and I think this season more than any of her others, she is VERY nervous on Results Day because she and Ian are clearly not a judges' favorite. Therefore I definitely think there's some real relief from her every time they are told they're safe.

Honestly it's like the girl can't win this season. Half of the viewers think she downright hates Ian and can't stand to be around him, other boards people have decided that she's become some uber-bitch this season even though Cheryl says as much this season as she's said in the other seasons which is not a lot. Then a bunch of people seem to resent her for what she has no control over...that being who she's paired up with. It's just funny to me because as I recall when Cheryl first started on DWTS, many did not like her. After the first show most people liked Drew but thought his partner was a shrew but by the middle of the season, with how good and close they were, people came to really like her. So the point is Cheryl's always been slightly distant until it gets further down in the season when she's gotten closer with her partners and such but this season, unlike others people just don't seem to be willing to give her any slack.

ETA: I forgot to add, it also seems like a lot of Cheryl hate seems to be residual feelings about S3 which I just don't get. Yeah Emmitt had a massive fan-base but the judges also helped in that they gave Emmitt high scores too (whether you think he deserved it or not) and as for Mario getting raked over the coals...it was because he not only broke the rules but was a smug little snot about it and Len and company weren't afraid to call him on his shit. It just seems ridiculos to me that what was more or less a fun campy show some took the results so personally that they've transferred downright hate to Cheryl because she and Emmitt won. I mean if Cheryl and Drew had lost to Anna and Jerry I'd have been disappointed and yeah I'd probably have said it was because of Jerry's fan base (and by the way I think Emmitt was a much better dancer than many give him credit for but whatever) but I wouldn't start to hate Anna just because she got paired with someone who had a strong fan base. Just like I won't think it's Kym's fault if she and Joey win even if I think Apolo is way better than him because Joey came into this thing with a massive fan base that'll vote for him no matter what.

Edited by lioness51, Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:58 PM.

SD Dude

SD Dude

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 6:26 PM

Of course she's no longer a fresh face to the show, but I doubt she's unhappy that others are. The whole competition is never going to be fresh to her like it is to Julianne now. Let's see if Julianne's enthusiasm is still quite as intense two seasons down the line.

I know this is somewhat off topic for the Cheryl thread, but when I read this comment what immediately popped into my head is that Edyta is the only female pro that has done all 4 seasons and yet she has remained smiling, glowing, sensitive and supportive, upbeat, and optimistic every single week. She always seems to be enjoying her partner and having fun, and she has had some tough cases to deal with.

She does not appear to be as talented a teacher or choreographer for amateur dancers as do Cheryl or Julianne, and/or maybe she just isn't as competitive as they are for that big silver ball (of course, there was only one season where she even had a shot at the trophy). Regardless, reflecting on this makes me think extremely highly of her. What a wonderful person she must be. Alec is a lucky fellow.

So, back to the point: It clearly is possible to maintain enthusiasm through multiple seasons. But it probably takes a very unique person to do so.

10sne1

10sne1

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 2:47 PM

Neat article/links on Cheryls website for the OK! Fashion Mag - may issue.
www.strictlycheryl.com Listed under news.

mjforty

mjforty

Stalker

Posted Apr 30, 2007 @ 3:52 PM

while she earned her first win, she was handed her second one because her partner was really popular

I don't think Cheryl was handed her second win, at all. She managed to take an athlete who had no dance experience and really raise his level of dancing. The Emmitt from the first dance and the Emmitt from the finale were miles apart and he owes that transformation to Cheryl and her hard work and her gifted choreography. And whether Mario was a better dancer than Emmitt remains a subjective opinion. I happen to think Mario was better at the Latin dances but Emmitt was the superior ballroom dancer. Which made them about equal dancers with different strengths and weaknesses.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2007 @ 3:56 PM

The Emmitt from the first dance and the Emmitt from the finale were miles apart and he owes that transformation to Cheryl and her hard work and her gifted choreography.

I agree. I watched a few of their dances yesterday afternoon and I could definitely see Emmitt's improvement. She worked on his weaknesses and enhanced his strengths and most importantly, he was having fun. To me, Mario & KAREEEEEEEEENA had this smugness about them like they knew they were going to win.

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

Burke Birthdays with the Stars

In the media thread there's a People story which talks about her having a burping contest with Ian. She bragged about getting a 10. I'm happy their relationship is better than I thought.

mcgjgl

mcgjgl

Posted May 7, 2007 @ 7:17 PM

I don't see the dislike between the two. I love Ian and I am sorry that he got Cheryl as a partner. Not because I don't like her, but because I don't think anyone wants her to win (nor Ian by default).

On a shallow note, I know it is her "signature look", but I hate that every dress, regardless of dance style, has a side cut-out. I don't find it all that flattering and I just wish she would change it up a little.

Edward83

Edward83

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2007 @ 3:50 AM

Cheryl this season makes me think of the people who have been on Saturday Night Live for years and are on their way out. They still have scenes with the newer cast members, but their hearts don't seem to be in it. Even in the pro dances, I haven't seen the same passion from Cheryl she once had. I'm not sure who is responsible for her struggles with Ian, but even though they're very pleasant in their rehearsal clips, they're lackluster enough on the floor to where I can't remember most of their dances. If she weren't a popular winner with a big fan base I'm not sure how far she would've made it this season.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2007 @ 10:57 AM

We'll have to disagree on the lack of passion thing, because the only difference I see from Cheryl is that she's a lot more seasoned than she was back during the first two seasons, as well as not having quite the same relationship as she had with her previous partners. There also may be a bit of fatigue mixed in as well. I did think she look thrilled to be dancing with Louis this week, as well as being "saved" from the red light.

I just think for whatever reason she's held under a much greater microscope--partly because of the success of her last two pairings that everything seems downhill to from there.

But while I don't doubt Cheryl's fanbase has helped them, Ian would have gotten pretty far on his own. 90210 was a pop culture phenomenon and its fanbase falls right in line with many that watch the show. So it's not as if he's unknown. Not to mention his dancing isn't that bad. It's just that the others perform better. If he goes out fourth, he goes out right where he should. We're not talking Billy Ray or Clyde situations where he is staying past better dancers.

But then again, I still don't see the Cheryl looks so unhappy thing. Nor the she and Ian look like they hate each other. I fully admit they don't have much connection on the dance floor, but I also chalk that up to the fact that Ian's not going to have a connection with anyone on the dance floor until his performance skills get better. If he is concentrating so hard on the dancing, his energy is not focused on the person he's dancing with. Cheryl can't radiate chemistry for two.

Edited by msrayrudd, May 11, 2007 @ 11:00 AM.

missmaisydaisy

missmaisydaisy

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

I don't get that Cheryl is unhappy, but I don't see the same sparkle and excitement like I did in S2 and S3 -- which makes me think perhaps she's a bit burnt out for whatever reason. Every now and then in her dances with Ian, the sparkle re-appears, but it's not there consistently like it was in the past....JMO. That said, I still think she's by far the most sensual of all the pro women dancers...others may be 'better', but Cheryl exudes a sensuality that draws you in, as well as being very sharp with her moves. Watch how she slowly and fully extends her full hand -- fingers included, not just a hand move -- or how she moves her head; no-one else does it like her.

I just wish I saw that sparkle more often this season 'cause between her sensuality, her great choreography and that sparkle (that's usually there), she really stands out, IMO, far more than any other female (although Julianne is the next best, IMO, but she doesn't have that oozing sensuality - at least not yet). I also like that she's not stick thin like some of the pros are -- while she's very slender, there's a softness/slender curviness about her (if that makes sense since she is tiny) that, IMO, adds to her appeal.

Edited by missmaisydaisy, May 11, 2007 @ 12:48 PM.