I Didn't Know Star Wars Was a Tango!: Music of DWTS

• Please log in to reply

817 replies to this topic

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Paso Doble: Adele's "Rolling in the Deep"

It's just been done in Germany; the French version, however, used this song for a Rumba.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

Good music for once. A+++

Latin dances need real Latin music. DWTS did it tonight.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

Agreed. Now, if only we could get Santana to play every week instead of the house band. Surely they could handle music for the Standard/Smooth dances too, couldn't they?

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:55 AM

The only WTF choice for me tonight was Buttons by the Pussycat Dolls.

It does work for an AT , but in Latin night where everyone else got Latin music, it just seemed out of place, like Roshon's David Cook song last week.

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

If they are going to continue to use music that doesn't fit and also have theme nights still, I would love a James Bond night.

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

If they are going to continue to use music that doesn't fit and also have theme nights still, I would love a James Bond night.

That seems excessively narrow. They've had Movie Night in the past, meaning they'll likely have it again. Close enough.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 2:14 AM

I think Bond Night would work actually. Not really narrow at all. There are around 20 official Bond Songs. And it would be a nice theme to carry through the night. Movie Night was hit and miss. Plus, I love Bond. I really wanted a Bond Night this season since Gladys did the theme for "License to Kill" and it's fantastic.

simba12

simba12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Bond night would be cool...I don't think you could do Waltzes, because none of the Bond songs are in that time signature. But, as Oakgal noted, there is enough variety. Lots of good Paso Doble and Cha Cha possibilities.

I'm surprised they've never entertained doing a Beatles night.

Edited by simba12, Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:26 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:48 AM

I don't think you could do Waltzes, because none of the Bond songs are in that time signature.

That wouldn't stop the show from doing it anyway. It's already committed that particular brand of musical sacrilege three times in as many seasons (Katherine's so-called "Waltz" to "To Where You Are" being the most recent example.)

Edited by legaleagle44, Apr 27, 2012 @ 9:51 AM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

I'd still love to see a "Disney movies" night. It would be be amazing I think.

So many good songs to use. "A Whole New World", "Beauty and the Beast", "Part of Your World", etc.

Edited by PBGamer89, Apr 27, 2012 @ 1:24 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Disney would be good. I'm amazed they haven't thought of that one. Isn't Disney the parent company of ABC? Seems logical enough. We should be programming the show.

"When You Wish Upon a Star" would be good. Could you do a Quickstep to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"?

Edited by oakgal, Apr 27, 2012 @ 10:34 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

I'd still love to see a "Disney movies" night. It would be be amazing I think.

So many good songs to use. "A Whole New World", "Beauty and the Beast", "Part of Your World", etc.

Disney would be good. I'm amazed they haven't thought of that one. Isn't Disney the parent company of ABC? Seems logical enough. We should be programming the show.

"When You Wish Upon a Star" would be good. Could you do a Quickstep to "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"?

As a matter of fact, you can. The Polish DWTS did a Disney night a few years ago, and I seem to recall that "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" was one of the numbers used for a Quickstep. I also seem to remember a special performance of a children's group ballroom number to "When You Wish Upon a Star" that took my breath away.

I'll have to see if I can hunt up any footage or a link to that particular week. The Polish version always does theme nights the best out of any of the various and sundry versions of DWTS, in my opinion (not to mention the fact that it has one of the best bands and groups of singers of any version, and that even the Week 1 dances are so well executed that you'd swear they were more like Week 9 or Week 10 dances.)

JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Just because you can dance rumba to Canon in D doesn't mean you should dance rumba to Canon in D.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I don't think Katherine got the best song. It'd be very hard to portray sexy and passion to that song, so I give her lots of props that she even tapped into it tonight. I wish she had danced Viennese Waltz tonight instead.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:11 PM

Katherine's best dances, to me, have come with her Smooth dances, not so much Latin. I liked her Jive, it was cheeky and fun enough, but not enough Jive content for me, the choreography was really lacking in some spots overall, and Mark's constant overdancing and mugging nearly ruined the performance. But her Paso, her Samba last week, and even with the bad music selection this week which hindered her Rhumba, I don't think she really taps into Latin beats all that well and, shockingly enough for the Classical singer, she does better when she is dancing a Classical dance to Classical music, imo.

I never saw her really doing a special enough Rhumba to get high scores on, I think she was over scored tonight in fact, but at least the music gave a good enough excuse for why her performance was lacking.

With all the Classical songs that could have been chosen tonight, they really scraped the bottom of the barrel with some of them. And what they did with "Bad Romance" was right criminal. That was no tribute to Classical music, it was an insult from start to finish.

Edited by CPP83, Apr 30, 2012 @ 10:11 PM.

Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

With all the Classical songs that could have been chosen tonight, they really scraped the bottom of the barrel with some of them.

The choices completely lacked imagination. It seemed that the music director and the producers only wanted familiar pieces rather than offering appropriate music from the range of Classical repertoire. Indeed, Bad Romance revealed how cheap they were being.

The truth is that dance influence a lot of Classical music, even Latin dances. Katherine, Melissa and Roshon could have danced to pieces by the likes of Villa Lobos and Ponce--composers who worked with popular and folk forms that would have gone further to introduce rhythms appropriate for the dances. Indeed, there are Classical arrangements--legitimately classical--of Tangos by Piazzolla.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

The selections just didn't seem to fit the dance. I'm sure they could've found a classical song that had a bit more of a romantic feel than Canon in D. The fact that Katherine even managed to portray a smiggen of romance and hip action in that song makes me admire her musicality.

dzidas

dzidas

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

As a matter of fact, you can. The Polish DWTS did a Disney night a few years ago, and I seem to recall that "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" was one of the numbers used for a Quickstep. I also seem to remember a special performance of a children's group ballroom number to "When You Wish Upon a Star" that took my breath away.
I'll have to see if I can hunt up any footage or a link to that particular week.

All of Polish DWTS videos have been removed from the official site, so it's really hard to find any of the older clips. Anyway, I posted about this theme week in another thread sometime ago, so if anyone's interested, these were the dances:
- Waltz to 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight' and 'Some Day My Prince Will Come'
- Cha-cha-cha to 'I Won't Say (I'm in Love)'
- Quickstep to 'The Bare Necessities' and 'I Wan'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song)'
- Rumba to 'A Whole New World'
and group Viennese Waltzes to 'A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes' and 'When You Wish Upon a Star'.

Bond night would be cool...I don't think you could do Waltzes, because none of the Bond songs are in that time signature. But, as Oakgal noted, there is enough variety. Lots of good Paso Doble and Cha Cha possibilities.

The Polish DWTS happens to have had Bond Night as well. The dances were:
- Foxtrot to 'You Only Live Twice', 'We Have All the Time in the World' and 'Goldfinger'
- Paso Doble to 'Die Another Day' and 'The Living Daylights'
- Tango to 'A View to a Kill'
and a Freestyle to 'GoldenEye'

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

So I always thought the title of this topic was a joke or something, but no... there actually was a Star Wars tango. The mind boggles.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:40 AM

Star Wars was also a paso doble if IIRC. Cameron Matheson did it in season 5. He was in the bottom 2 opposite Sabrina Bryan when she was eliminated.

ETA: Nope. I lied. It was actually the Superman Theme. Not a bad dance.

Edited by auntie thesis, Oct 3, 2012 @ 9:41 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Oct 3, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

It WAS, however, a Paso Doble on the Australian version a number of years ago, so you aren't entirely wrong, auntie thesis.

tjames

tjames

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

It's been used as a Paso on the U.S. version too, twice - for Buzz & Ashly when they came back for the S10 Finale, and for a Pro number in S13.

Cowshark

Cowshark

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

The band's version of "Want You Back" is the first time they did a cover that improved on the original. I nearly fell out of my seat, Carrie Ann style.

TheAnglican

TheAnglican

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

The show has used Pour Some Sugar On Me before, right? I thought it might have been for Donny and Kym's paso, but that's not right. At any rate, TPTB seem to have gone looking for music with the sloooowwweest tempo possible for Wynonna's samba, and then she still couldn't move.

Teagan1

Teagan1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

I tried to find this thread after week one. I know that the song choices are usually not good for the style of dance, but it finally really got to me when they used "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News for a Foxtrot.

Also, my husband and I felt bad last night that the guys from Def Leppard had to sit and listen to a bastardized version of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (for a Samba? Really?). The verses weren't too bad, but the chorus? Bleh.

sophygurl

sophygurl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

Yea, did they get new singers this season? ITA that the singing has just not been up to par so far.

raingirlnw

raingirlnw

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 2, 2013 @ 7:19 PM

I've stayed quiet about the music for years ----- but "Queen!!!" Come on. To attempt a Freddie M. song... That just should not be allowed by these singers. Next they will be doing a Springsteen number.

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2013 @ 10:44 AM

A Quickstep to Born to Run? Ugh.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 11:51 PM

I'd just like to know what tin-eared moron thought that "Hot Stuff" would make a good Foxtrot selection.  It was too hard, too fast, and too sharp to fit the Foxtrot, which is supposed to be smooth, fluid, and lyrical.  For a Cha-Cha, it would have been appropriate, but for the Foxtrot?  No, just -- NO.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:21 AM

Speaking of music, so glad that the band is stepping down on certain songs. I agree that songs like "Wings", "Blurred Lines", and "Clarity" are hard to replicate and using the recording made it better.

Sometimes in the past when the band tackled certain "clubby" or "current" songs, it just didn't come off right and it does impact the dance.

I'll never forget how awfully sung that Beyonce song was sung during Melissa and Tony's All Star freestyle, it actually made me like it less because I couldn't watch it long enough without cringing at the singing.

Edited by PBGamer89, Sep 17, 2013 @ 12:22 AM.