I Didn't Know Star Wars Was a Tango!: Music of DWTS

• Please log in to reply

815 replies to this topic

motabrody

motabrody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 11:19 PM

Oh the music of DWTS. How we love it. How we hate it.

I think Len's comment about the band tonight was as close to a veiled criticism of the rest of the show's music that we're going to get from the judges as much as it was a compliment for that particular song/dance combination.

Dbrain2004

Dbrain2004

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 11:25 PM

Before anyone else mentions it, I have to say - even though I loved that particular piece of music (and the dance that accompanied it), to this day, I still cannot believe they actually used Duran Duran's "The Reflex" for a Paso Doble.

Good on Monique/Louis for making it work, though.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

I actually don't always hate the music. I'm not on the we must have traditional music bandwagon because as we've seen, sometimes offbeat choices CAN work. But what I do hate is the horrid singers. I think some of the bad music would be much more tolerable if it were actually sung by people with talent.

When I get distracted during a dance by the music, it's usually because the singers are so completely cringeworthy that I have to mute the music.

shimi

shimi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 11:46 PM

I agree, msrayrudd. I don't have a problem with non-traditional music choices ( nor should I, considering what I choose to perform to sometimes!) at all. But the band is generally atrocious, and when they slow the tempo down ( I know they sometimes have to, but still!) it makes the song even more recongnisable.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:30 AM

What in the hell did that band do to my Shakira tonight?

Seriously? What WAS that?

E C0li

E C0li

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:34 AM

That was supposed to be Shakira's version? OMG. I just assumed she and Wyclef had remade a crappier version and that's what the singers were butchering. Yikes.

However, I will give them this: I had a fit of giggles listening to the singer grunt "I like to MOVE it MOVE it"--ditto for the pre-pubescent "Besame Mucho."

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:07 AM

Good Lord, the band and sucky singers make me beg for ice picks to be stabbed into my ears. They'd be a big hit at Gitmo.

Will this always be the thread title? Something like "hit the mute button!!1" perhaps.

motabrody

motabrody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:53 AM

I hadn't intended on making this the defacto thread about the band and singers, but rather the songs and song choices. However, if there's discussion warranted about the band and the singers, I'll start that up as well. For the time being (and until mods say otherwise), this is a thread about the songs and song choices.

ETA: Yep, this is the thread for the band and singers as well. :)

Edited by motabrody, Apr 24, 2007 @ 2:18 AM.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:30 AM

That was supposed to be Shakira's version? OMG. I just assumed she and Wyclef had remade a crappier version and that's what the singers were butchering.

Actually, that was Wyclef's earlier version of the song, called "Dance Like This," featuring Claudette Ortiz, which was used in the "Dirty Dancing" sequel/prequel/whatev "Havana Nights."

Still horrible, though.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:43 AM

I thought last night was one of the least offensive nights for this show's music. It didn't make me stand up and say "Good job, band!" but it didn't make me expect Bill Murray to start singing at any moment, either. Either my expectations for good music on DWTS are very low, or my expectations for bad music are very high.

Edited by Cyb, Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:44 AM.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:02 AM

My personal theory is that they pick one or two recognizable/appropriate songs, then hunt down the rest of the tunes with the cheapest royalty rights. I'm not a broadcast rights expert- is there a database of copyrighted tunes, searchable by cost of on-air rights? If there is, someone at DWTS is working that list like a bandit.

Edited by Decormaven, Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:05 AM.

Kris223

Kris223

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:18 AM

I only started watching midway through S2, but my vote for worst song ever was the mambo to Jump bu KrisKros.

Circling Shark

Circling Shark

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:35 AM

What I want to know is: Why did the female singer (Beverly, I think - yes, I'm bad enough to have looked up all the singers' names) feel the need to do the "cockney" inflections on the Corinne Bailey Rae song?? That just distracted me right away from the dancing.

DeputyCommSense

DeputyCommSense

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 8:42 AM

To be fair, this season we're getting more recent and recognizable song selections. Honestly, I was shocked that we got "Hips Don't Lie" and "Put Your Records On" last night. Obviously Billy Ray is working his connections to get the songs he wants since we not only have his music (plug!), but Johnny Cash. It's an improvement over past years selections, even if you're not into the performance of the songs.

tjames

tjames

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:56 AM

I still cannot believe they actually used Duran Duran's "The Reflex" for a Paso Doble.

Heh. Thanks for the reminder - now I'll be having nightmares of that singer trying to sing the overdubs of the Remix version all by himself...

The Evil One

The Evil One

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:14 AM

"What's Going On?" for the rhumba? Sheesh!

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:35 AM

For me making somebody dance the Paso to Black Betty just overtook my previous pick for Paso torture of inflicting Final Countdown on Louis and Lisa. The fact that they did it on the tour shows how proud he was of pulling that off, as well he should be. I still think Louis and Lisa could have weathered Black Betty. Billy Ray just didn't have the talent although I'm sure Karina could have come up with something for a good dancer. Louis seems to be the whipping boy for whatever sadist picks these songs because whatever dance they did to ABC (the mambo?) was so difficult to do to that.

And for God's sake if you must use Duran Duran for a Paso why not make it View to a Kill. I have no idea if the beat is right but at least the whole matador thing applies.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:42 AM

Okay, I feel a little better that it wasn't Shakira they butchered... the song was still ass, though. And I still say Shakira would be a fun musical guest.

'What's Going On?' for the rumba was indeed a bad choice. Nothing says dancefloor foreplay like 'Brother brother brother, there's far too many of you dying.'

Yeah. That's hot.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:58 AM

For all the talk about musicality, the producers sure do miss the boat on the lyrical aspect. I've already given up hope that they find songs that really fit the dance (Bon Jovi for the paso doble two years in a row? O....k.) But the only dance where the lyrics decently fit the dance recently was Kym and Jerry's waltz.

babyfishfel

babyfishfel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:01 AM

Good grief, what were they thinking when Maks and Leila danced to a friggin' march last week?!? Ay yi yi.

Edited by babyfishfel, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:04 AM.

SecretOfLife

SecretOfLife

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:07 PM

Call me dopey, but I actually really dug that song "I like to move it, move it" that Apolo and his partner used last night. We went around the house all night, singing it.

Washburne

Washburne

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 3:35 PM

The Reel 2 Real original is ok, I must admit, definitealy a catchy tune. However, last night's version was so horrendous I had to watch A&J on mute.

Whoever sang "Put Your Records On" was pretty good though, for the most part actually sounding very close to Corinne Bailey Rae. Her attempt at an English accent on the word "little" made me grimace though.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:06 PM

Move it Move it was OK because the execution wasn't totally off, but I have to say with J's tiger outfit and A&J's overall CUTENESS, I kept picturing the Madagaskar critters' version of Move it Move it. Dude, A&J are cuter than cartoon animals with humongous eyes! (what were those anyway?)

Another spinning gold out of straw Louis moment...9 to 5. I really doubt Dolly Parton was thinking ballroom.

Oh and since nobody has mentioned it yet...when they announced Cheryl and Drew were doing the paso and the first two notes of Thriller started up I thought OMG NO! But that was magical.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:07 PM.

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

I still cannot believe they actually used Duran Duran's "The Reflex" for a Paso Doble.

Somehow I wiped that out of my memory.

I have to say with J's tiger outfit and A&J's overall CUTENESS, I kept picturing the Madagaskar critters' version of Move it Move it. Dude, A&J are cuter than cartoon animals with humongous eyes! (what were those anyway?)

Lemurs. That's what I kept thinking of too. Apolo and Julianne are that cute. They should of had Borat singing the song as in the movie. Might have been half decent.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 8:52 AM

I'm sure someone will rumba to "We Are the World" next! A mix of sensuality and poverty....Only on "Dancing With the Stars...."

nera

nera

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:25 AM

When I heard the music that Laila and Maks did their Paso to I had a flashback to a Bugs Bunny cartoon. It just sounded like the kind of music Bugs would have used while doing something awful to poor Elmer Fudd.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:38 PM

The music for this show makes my family bond on Monday nights. When we hear the dances they're doing, we all immediately try to imagine songs that will be used. Sadly, the choices are never as awful as what they actually end up dancing to. We reckon we'll see a cha-cha to Careless Whisper pretty soon, can't wait for that.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 12:22 AM

'What's Going On?' for the rumba was indeed a bad choice.

Understatement of the week. The semi-serious dancer in me says whoever was in charge of the choreography was NOT paying attention to the dramatic component. The Marvin fan in me was seriously insulted. The TWoPer in me says WTF.

Call me dopey, but I actually really dug that song "I like to move it, move it" that Apolo and his partner used last night. We went around the house all night, singing it.

There is a great original version of that somewhere on iTunes. A friend of mine remixed it for me.

And on a note that relates to both, the band is hot. It's a pain in the butt to learn and cover all those tunes.

The vocalists, however? Where are they getting these people from?!? I live in NYC. Brilliant vocalists practically scratch each others' eyes out to appear on demos, especially since the work for the advertising/commercial market is shrinking. Two of the girls I work with have perfect pitch and five octaves, and someone in DWTS casting either turned them down or hid the audition date from all the good singers in NYC, or LA, or wherever they are. It's like I would imagine Cat Scratch Fever on bad drugs might be, listening to some of these butcherings. The hell?

Edited by roorooby, Apr 19, 2007 @ 12:23 AM.

motabrody

motabrody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 2:17 AM

Jennifer Lopez should have her attorneys contact ABC. The singers did an atrocious rendition of her song on national television.

tjames

tjames

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 6:23 AM

Speaking of atrocious - that version of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" sounded like it was being played by an oompah band.