Fashion on DWTS: Sparkles and Heels and Mullets, Oh My!

• Please log in to reply

381 replies to this topic

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

Half the reason I've ever watched any of this show is for the fashion. I think the dresses that the women wear often have enough sparkly stuff going on to blind someone if they look at them too hard for too long.

DarkVamp70

DarkVamp70

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 5:16 PM

I love the tight pants the professional men wear! Maksim can most definitely fill a pair of trousers! Yummy!

Edited by DarkVamp70, Apr 16, 2007 @ 5:14 PM.

wimple

wimple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 5:54 PM

I'm hoping that the next crop of Project Runway wanabes will have to do a ballroom dancing design. I know they can't do one for this show, as it will have finished by then, and it's on a rival network, but still...

Chief Elf

Chief Elf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

Whoever created Heather's outfit tonight should be shot and then buried wearing that atrocity. Seriously, that may have been the ugliest dress I've ever seen on DWTS. It was like the curtain in a whorehouse.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 8:49 PM

Heather gets stuck in fug every week. She has potential to look fabulous (and I'm saying this as someone who does not care for her), so why do they keep putting her in the spangly and bright crayon yellow outfits?!

Also, Edyta just needs to stop with those bra/curtain combos. She is my female pro crush, but seriously, enough's enough.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 8:52 PM

I really didn't need to see Billy Ray's nipples through that purple monstrosity.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Heather's dress really was bad. I liked her waltz dress, and I sort of liked that weird black and green pants outfit, just because it was different from the usual fare. But tonight it was like... they melted down part of the disco ball.

I share Unusual Suspect's desire not to see Billy Ray's nipples. They could have lined that shirt better.

But most of my fashion critique is reserved for Karina's dress tonight. From the front, it was pretty. From the back, it looked like she had a wedgie. Who thought that was a good design? That bunched fabric made it look like her dress was stuck in her butt crack.

Edited by Cyb, Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:08 PM.

sgupta4

sgupta4

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

I really didn't need to see Billy Ray's nipples through that purple monstrosity.

Yes, same here. Yikes!

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:48 PM

Heather's dress looked like it was made by a five year old. Seriously somebody in wardrobe hates her with a passion.

Michelle1

Michelle1

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Heather gets stuck in fug every week. She has potential to look fabulous (and I'm saying this as someone who does not care for her), so why do they keep putting her in the spangly and bright crayon yellow outfits?!

I thought her dress from last week was absolutely lovely, but in general I agree with you. Tonight's tunic was the worst. It was too big, covered in silver spangles the size of saucers and was completely shapeless. It is, exactly, like someone took a really ugly curtain and tacked it at the shoulders. Heather has a great body and lovely shoulders. It's not hard to make her look decent.

Edited by Michelle1, Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:59 PM.

bluvelvet

bluvelvet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:11 PM

Whoever created Heather's outfit tonight should be shot and then buried wearing that atrocity. Seriously, that may have been the ugliest dress I've ever seen on DWTS. It was like the curtain in a whorehouse.

Now the above comment had me cracking up laughing. That dress was atrocious..

But most of my fashion critique is reserved for Karina's dress tonight. From the front, it was pretty. From the back, it looked like she had a wedgie. Who thought that was a good design? That bunched fabric made it look like her dress was stuck in her butt crack.

THANK YOU, Cyb..I wondered how I could articulate what I thought of Karina's costume adn you hit the nail on the head!

Edited by bluvelvet, Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:11 PM.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

Man... the costumes tonight were awful tonight, but Heather's was especially terrible. Looked like Elmo ate a bunch of sparkly things and threw up on her. Gross. Her outfit for the waltz was beautiful.

But then... I actually thought most the women's outfits weren't great tonight. None as bad as Heather's, but overall, no stand outs.

motabrody

motabrody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:22 AM

Am I the only one who saw Julianne come out at the beginning of tonight's show and do a quick WTF? That dress (and that Sanjaya-inspired hair!) distracted me almost equally as Heather's dress. With Heather's, at least, I didn't take note of its horror until she started dancing.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:27 AM

I was right there with you, motabrody. I also had a WTF?! moment. But she pulled it off, whereas Heather... looked awful.

Edited by catray, Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:45 AM.

Dandesun

Dandesun

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:27 AM

I loved Jullianne's Tiger Tassles. I just did. Maybe it's my weakness for animal prints, I don't know.

Heather's "dress" ... what in the shit was that? It's like something that tried to sneak into Vegas and Vegas went 'Nuh uh. You crazy comin' here looking like that' and booted it back out into the desert... where it got stuck in someone's axle on the 15 and wound up in LA.

And, personally, I look forward each week to see what bikini/scarf combo Edyta will come up with. Panther Woman slinks around in as little clothes as possible and I love her for it.

Laila was born for jewel tones. She looked gorgeous tonight. Again.

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:31 AM

Whoever created Heather's outfit tonight should be shot and then buried wearing that atrocity.

Bwah! My, her dress really was awful. I don't for one minute believe it was Jonathan approved.

Julianne's Tiger Tassles (that outfit truly deserves its own name, credit to Dandesun) shouldn't have worked, but it did. She's so adorably cute and has a teeny tiny bum. A more voluptuous woman would have made that outfit offensive.

Karina's dress did have the wedgie factor, but I still liked it. Loved it actually. It was the forehead jewel that had me saying wtf. I hope someone hides her stash.

Elena is a beautiful woman with an enviable body, but her taste in costuming is dreadful. What the hell was she wearing tonight?

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:29 AM

Julianne's Tiger Tassles (that outfit truly deserves its own name, credit to Dandesun) shouldn't have worked, but it did.

When I saw the shimmery tiger leotard outfit, and her hair, I was afraid for some kind of 80s cringe-worthy routine. Perhaps a Samba set to "Physical" by Olivia Newton John. But once she was moving around, the outfit looked super cute. I still don't know about the hair. I was afraid for Apollo for a minute there when his face touched it.

On a more general note, I love Maksim's short hair this season. I thought I liked it long, but now that I've seen it short, in retrospect the slicked back style was a bit... gigolo-y. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The main thing about Edyta's outfit for me was the fringe things that went down each side. It looked like the seamstress just unrolled six feet of fringe from the spool and glued it in place. It looked a little "made up on the spot."

Edited by Cyb, Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:35 AM.

lemurgrl

lemurgrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 6:44 AM

I loved Jullianne's Tiger Tassles. I just did.

Me too... except for the angle showing her from behind as she and Apolo did a little grinding action... the shorts smacked of rap-video booty for a minute. Not the most flattering.

Mostly, though, I felt bad for Billy Ray's poor nipples. They looked miserable.

ETA: Heather, WE KNOW ABOUT THE LEG. You REALLY don't need to visually remind us; you can get a flesh-toned sleeve to cover where it attaches instead of that bright-white one that showed under your dress and made your already-bizarre outfit look even worse.

Edited by lemurgrl, Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:09 AM.

HenrysaBear

HenrysaBear

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

Why does Apolo always wear a headband?

Add me to those who liked Julianne's tiger costume. Suprisingly, she was able to pull it off!

Mostly, though, I felt bad for Billy Ray's poor nipples. They looked miserable.

I completely agree!

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 9:43 AM

I agree that Julianne pulled off the otherwise ugly tiger thing.

I too want somebody to hide Karina's head jewels.

Is it wrong that I don't even notice Edyta's outfits anymore because I expect her to show up naked? The only time I notice is when she is fully clothed.

justmy2cents

justmy2cents

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 10:49 AM

Is it wrong that I don't even notice Edyta's outfits anymore because I expect her to show up naked?

As in, she shows up wearing nothing except her partner's smile? I found John R's smile to be the most wonderful thing about their samba last night. It made up for everything that was wrong (imho) about their costuming.

babyfishfel

babyfishfel

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:11 AM

Elena is a beautiful woman with an enviable body, but her taste in costuming is dreadful. What the hell was she wearing tonight?

Seconded! I say that every week. Stop dressing in scarves, you ninny!

wimple

wimple

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:03 PM

I loved Jullianne's Tiger Tassles. I just did.

Me too... except for the angle showing her from behind as she and Apolo did a little grinding action... the shorts smacked of rap-video booty for a minute. Not the most flattering.

I LOVED when she did that unulation! I was so impressed the way the line down the back of her outfit really accented the motion. I found her outfit gorgeous, which was odd as I HATE animal prints as a rule. I cheered when they got the perfect 30, altho I think they were scoring Jullianne for that more than Apollo - as it was her preferred dance.

fallaway

fallaway

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 12:46 PM

Re the recap of last week's dance by Joey and Kym... I'd noticed upon first view that his pants were too short and flapping around ridiculously (why no regulation stirrups to keel the leg line??), but I hadn't registered the highlighting of the package when he raises his arms in the final pose. Kym is not the only person in that couple lifting and separating. Whoa </other DwTS Joey>!

That is all.

Pixigal

Pixigal

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

I agree that when Edyta does wear clothes I'm shocked. Clearly her goal while dancing is to wear as little as possible. Maybe she's trying to reduce the wind shear when she's turning.

I thought Heather's dress looked like someone had shot one of them pesky disco ball critters, skinned it and gave it to her to wear as a trophy. I have seriously never seen such an ugly concoction. How did Jonathan manage not to burst into hysterical laughter when he saw this? (Seriously - the wardrobe lady/man must be a Beatles fan. Or a McCartney fan).

I didn't like the Tiger Tassles (great name) dress on Julianne either but she certainly sold it with her charm, energy and the sass of the number. I still don't like the bananna clip for her hair. That just took me to an 80's place (is that the right decade they were popular in?)

Billy Ray's whole look just signaled I give up to me. He let his hair flop back in his face again and I think his nipples look has been covered. I must admit I didn't notice Karina's dress that much. I think I was just shocked by the sheer "no dancing to see here, move along" aspect of Billy Ray last night.

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

I still don't like the bananna clip for her hair. That just took me to an 80's place (is that the right decade they were popular in?)

Pixigal - YUP!! I rocked the banana clip back in high school. Looks especially great when you have a bad perm (of which I've had many!), you'd like to conceal.

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

Edyta's costumes don't bother me - if I had her body I would dress like that every day, just because I could.

Heather's dress was beyond hideous. If she wants to be more covered up, there's nothing wrong with that. But Ashly managed to be both covered up and attractive in pretty much all of her dresses through three seasons, so surely they can come up with something remotely appealing for Heather. The dress designer must be a Beatles' fan.

Julianne's hair was big and outrageous and campy, but it fit the dance. The rest of the pros looked fine - although I don't like Karina's tendency to want to glue stuff to her forehead. Well that and...if I am being honest - I like Jonathan, but Jonathan in a shirtless vest is just not on par Alec in a shirtless vest.

MarigoldSkye

MarigoldSkye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

Edyta's costumes don't bother me - if I had her body I would dress like that every day, just because I could.

That's a good point, and so would I, but Edyta's got such a good line to her and such an incredible body that even in a nun's habit, she'd look killer. Sometimes, it would be nice to see her rocking an outfit with a tummy cover. My favorite outfits of hers are usually the ones from things like the waltz, when she actually makes an effort to dress like a more traditional 'lady', but most of the times she makes up for covering her stomach by baring her entire back or something.

Double Delight

Double Delight

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 7:56 PM

Is it wrong that I don't even notice Edyta's outfits anymore because I expect her to show up naked? The only time I notice is when she is fully clothed.

In a line up, I'd sooner recognize edyta's bod than my own.

I LOVED when she did that unulation! I was so impressed the way the line down the back of her outfit really accented the motion.

I loved it too. It's like the outfit was its own entity.

jazmyne

jazmyne

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:41 AM

The only thing I can think is that Edyta hates the feel of fabric actually touching her skin. She has an amazing body, but I'm always amazed by how little fabric is touching her.