DWTS In The Media

• Please log in to reply

7836 replies to this topic

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

Thanks for that Elsa, I don't know how I missed it. At least my memory was right that sometimes bootees don't end up on Kimmel. Wasn't there one time when he interviewed the Pro (remotely from a studio) but not the Star - who was suspiciously AWOL?

But this makes it twice for Maks, so I still wonder if it is the Kimmel people or the DWTS people.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

But this makes it twice for Maks, so I still wonder if it is the Kimmel people or the DWTS people.

I saw yesterday afternoon that the couples voted off would not be on Kimmel. Kimmel had other guests, so I don't think it was a last minute switch this year. Last year, it was a very last minute switch with the final three couples replacing Hope and Maks on Kimmel. I think last year the Kimmel thing was aimed at Hope or Maks or both, this year, I'm not so sure.

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:05 AM

Maks still seemed to be seething a bit when they were interviews on GMA yesterday morning. They asked him about the dance duels and he started to go off a bit (but nothing bad, imo, because I agreed with him!) but then said "But don't ask me about the judges" or something like that so it probably is a bit of ABC not wanting him to spout off on any other shows. I really hope he takes next season off, he needs a break.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

I'm thinking it's the DWTS people. Maks has talked about "manipulation" in his print interviews, something that Jimmy probably would pounce on to get him to expound further. However, Jimmy likes to chat about things not related to the show, like asking Gladys about the Night Train lyrics and spending most of her segment on that. So I'd think it would be okay to let Maks be on. Yet Jimmy can be a wild cannon, which is why I like his show. I usually stay up to see the ousted dancers so was disappointed to not see Rochon and Melissa. Also missed Rochon on Kelly ... didn't know he was going to be on that. Bummer!

Edited by SaberTail, May 10, 2012 @ 9:33 AM.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

I saw yesterday afternoon that the couples voted off would not be on Kimmel. Kimmel had other guests, so I don't think it was a last minute switch this year. Last year, it was a very last minute switch with the final three couples replacing Hope and Maks on Kimmel. I think last year the Kimmel thing was aimed at Hope or Maks or both, this year, I'm not so sure.

I heard in the morning Tuesday they wouldn't be on. I assumed because there were two of them and JK already had a full plate of guests.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 12:43 PM

There have been other times when the pros weren't on Kimmel. And especially with the double elimination, Jimmy could have had just Melissa and Rochon on together without the pros, which I think would have been cute.

But I can't ignore the two seasons in a row thing - I think they didn't want Maks on there because they were afraid he'd blurt out something that would embarrass or infuriate ABC or the DWTS producers. Guess we'll never know because they certainly wouldn't say that, but it's just too coincidental that Maks is the only one who was skipped two times in a row as far as going on Kimmel. I mean, not even a few minutes via satellite or whatever - I think that's how it's been done before, and certainly I've seen that with GMA and like you say, LauraLei, they DID let him appear on GMA and couldn't have stopped him if he blurted something out. Though they may have had time to give him a warning, when maybe they didn't with Kimmel?

Oh well. Maybe it had nothing to do with Maks at all, nor did last year. It's just so suspicious. Johnny Depp may explain this time - but what about with Hope? Not having the one booted in the semi-finals, of all things, is just hard to explain unless they had a significant reason, like not wanting him to mouth off (or in last season's case, Hope might have been worse than Maks.)

Edited by Elsa, May 10, 2012 @ 1:01 PM.

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

Maybe they don't want him to say something that would hurt HIM. He manages to do that despite ABC's best efforts to protect him.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Maybe they don't want him to say something that would hurt HIM. He manages to do that despite ABC's best efforts to protect him.

Maybe Lizzie Grubman doesn't want him to say something that would hurt him -- or maybe she holds him back from some DWTS-related stuff to play up the "poor mistreated Maks" angle and keep his fanbase as rabid and protective as possible.

DotsAndStripes

DotsAndStripes

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

If they're trying to protect Maks from doing interviews, they wouldn't have had him do the press line on Tuesday night. Also, I don't know that Maks has ever gotten himself in trouble on Kimmel, but he has absolutely gotten himself in trouble on GMA. Last season, he went on GMA midseason to talk about his fight with the judges and he ended up talking about Derek, which started the Derek feud rumors. GMA seems like a riskier place for an interview than Kimmel given that history.

Also, if the Kimmel appearance were cancelled to protect Maks, they could have sent the other three. Celebrities have gone on Kimmel without their partners before.

Maks still seemed to be seething a bit when they were interviews on GMA yesterday morning. They asked him about the dance duels and he started to go off a bit (but nothing bad, imo, because I agreed with him!) but then said "But don't ask me about the judges" or something like that so it probably is a bit of ABC not wanting him to spout off on any other shows.

He made a joke about not wanting to talk about the judges and everyone laughed. I highly doubt anyone at ABC was upset about that moment.

lovemaks

lovemaks

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

I don't think Maks needs a season off, I think they need some new judges, new life into the show. I don't watch for the judges, I watch for Maks

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

If they're trying to protect Maks from doing interviews, they wouldn't have had him do the press line on Tuesday night. Also, I don't know that Maks has ever gotten himself in trouble on Kimmel, but he has absolutely gotten himself in trouble on GMA. Last season, he went on GMA midseason to talk about his fight with the judges and he ended up talking about Derek, which started the Derek feud rumors. GMA seems like a riskier place for an interview than Kimmel given that history.

Exactly. If they were trying to punish Maks and prevent him from doing post-elimination TV appearances, why was he on GMA yesterday?

I don't watch for the judges, I watch for Maks

And others watch in spite of Maks and would enjoy the show more without him. Different strokes.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Good point, lovemaks. I generally turn the channel during judge comments/scoring as the hystrionics are impossible and the scoring wack. It's too exhausting. I watch this show for the pros (most of them ... Maks, Tristan, Louis, Tony anyway) and a few of the celebs although I can't think of any besides Gilles, JR, Apolo and Evan that I've really liked over 14 seasons. If CAI, Len and Bruno completely disappeared, I would count that a blessing.

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

He made a joke about not wanting to talk about the judges and everyone laughed. I highly doubt anyone at ABC was upset about that moment.

No, I know, my wording was poor in my post. I didn't mean they wouldn't want him to be interviewed elsewhere because of the comment on GMA, just in general.

I personally wouldn't mind if they canned everyone but Tom, Tristan, and maybe Anna for a season to get some new life into the show, personally!

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Katherine Jenkins is scheduled to be on Leno Friday night.

toonces464

toonces464

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 1:32 AM

I personally wouldn't mind if they canned everyone but Tom, Tristan, and maybe Anna for a season to get some new life into the show, personally!

I've felt for awhile now that they need to bring some new pros in to try to get the show back on track. Because at this point, I feel the show has become more about the pros and that they overshadow the celebrities.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

I agree on those Tom and Tristan (and maybe Karina), and I'm especially dreading the All Star season. I wonder if all these media mentions mean it's a done deal. I'm beginning to think so.

It's funny - even as three troupers are constantly Tweeting that they want a partner next season.

Oh well, I hope Maks keeps bitching in the press, every chance he gets, about the fakery and the propping, the "manipulation." It's possible it could tamp it down a bit. Please shout it from the rooftops, Maksy boy.

Edited by Elsa, May 11, 2012 @ 4:27 AM.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Some interesting comments from Elena.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NAHJ3hEbfDg

ratherbereading

ratherbereading

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Bringing this link over from tonight's show thread

Maks talks about the show in TV Guide

I love this suggestion:

I've suggested a bye week to producers, like how athletes have in sports, in midseason. Celebrities could take a week off to recharge and we pros will put on a two-hour show to die for. They didn't want it. I suggested cutting five seconds off everyone's routines and making longer rehearsal packages. They say, no, they want to see you dance. I believe that fans want to see you, whether it's dancing or in the packages.

It seems like the last couple of season especially there have been more injuries-and more serious injuries-to both the celebrities and the stars. Granted, a show during the break wouldn't give time off to the pros but they are used to the physically grueling demands of dancing.

Serendi

Serendi

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:58 AM

to both the celebrities and the stars

I just love that. Because it's what it's turning into--the celebrities get to dance with the REAL stars, the pros!

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

I've felt for awhile now that they need to bring some new pros in to try to get the show back on track. Because at this point, I feel the show has become more about the pros and that they overshadow the celebrities.

I agree. And if Donald doesn't win next week that means in 14 seasons, only 7 different pros have won (two who haven't been on the show in several seasons now) so it'd be fun to change it up a bit.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

http://tvline.com/20...tv-lineup-2012/

This might make some people happy

WaltzinSpringTm

WaltzinSpringTm

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Well, I've bitched about Maks bitching about the judges and here his blog is aimed straight at where the questions should be directed - the producers. Why have the judges lost consistency. Why has DWTs become not even a popularity contest or a dance contest or hybrid, but a show of attrition - who can survive the ridiculous schedule. I don't know about a bye week but some of the gimmicks don't produce dancing worth watching, so IMO the producer response of "They want to see you dance." isn't credible when we reach this point and they turn the show into a circus. Anyhow, I often find him self-serving and here he still was around the edges, but I think he was bringing up all the right points and directing his questions to the right place.

They're never going to tell the teams how they did in the fan vote (with the exception of claiming Shawn Johnson and Gilles were close - in that case, IMO that was a travesty because her judges' scores ought never to have been close to his) - because celebrities use this to put themselves in the public eye and get attention. They'd rather play off an early elimination as a dancing situation than have it broadcast they didn't get any fan votes, especially if they're a "name". For a model type, it's not that bad. For someone like Shannon Doherty, IMO it is. Better to make out like it was dancing.

Edited by WaltzinSpringTm, May 15, 2012 @ 10:25 AM.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

his blog is aimed straight at where the questions should be directed - the producers.

Totally agree. And I personally love the idea of a bye week - have a recap of the competition so far, intersperced with pro dances, guest stars, whatever... I know why the producers don't want it, they fear losing their audience, but I think done right, it could really work.

TryingHarder

TryingHarder

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

On GMA yesterday they asked Tony who he thought would be leaving this week. He thinks one of the women. Let's hope so.

Interesting they asked him before they even danced last night.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:19 AM

ABC has just announced at the upfronts that season 15 WILL be an All-Star season. More info to come.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

Ratherbereading, thanks so much for that link to Maks' blog. That page should be required reading for every DWTS viewer as well as every single poster here. I like this very much:

"I just voice my opinion and this is how I feel about the show. I take the opportunity to speak my mind publicly. I came from a place where we didn't have that opportunity and if you did, you had to watch what you say. The only consequence now is that some crazy fan who doesn't like me will not like me even more. But at least you heard my opinion."

We tend to forget this person was born in a country where he could be sent to the Gulag for expressing his opinion. How lucky we are here that we can post our thoughts, even if we disagree. Imagine this: In the old USSR, Maks could be jailed for saying the DWTS judges are inconsistent!

I also like his insight into the show, how demanding the dances have become with more and more added each week, resulting in more and more stars and now dancers being injured, and TPTB not listening to input from the pros. A week of pro-only dances would be fabulous IMO, and their rehearsal packages would give us more insight into the workings of real dancers. Pro or Olympic athletes like Donald or Evan or Shawn or Apolo are used to grueling daily workouts while a concert singer like Katherine or a tv host like Maria, even though they probably go to the gym several times a week, struggle with the physical and mental demands of the crazy schedule. We see the emotional cracks during rehearsal clips and get tired of hearing about the injuries so we make fun of them here.

Sheri and Val were on GMA this morning but I just missed their segment. Can anyone comment on what they said?

LauraLei13

LauraLei13

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

From Maks' blog

I finished second with Mel and Kirstie and I think they're both deserving of being part of an All-Stars cast. Do you just ask one? What if they both can do it and want to do it? What happens next? Another thing I've heard is that the returning celebrities who didn't win last time will be paired with new pros. I think that's a terrible idea. It's like saying, "Hey, your marriage didn't work, so let's try you with someone else." What is the point of that? To prove that Derek can win trophies and Maks can't? It's not jealousy speaking.

I do agree with him. I think in some cases it would be nice to see the celebs with someone different, but I think it would sting if, for instance, Mel B was placed with Derek and they won.

On the other hand, I don't want a season without Tristan and while I think it would be fun to see former celebs back, I think at this point the show would be better off reviving itself with some new pros and scaling back on crap like the dance duels.

Twickenham

Twickenham

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

I do agree with him. I think in some cases it would be nice to see the celebs with someone different, but I think it would sting if, for instance, Mel B was placed with Derek and they won.

On the other hand, I don't want a season without Tristan and while I think it would be fun to see former celebs back, I think at this point the show would be better off reviving itself with some new pros and scaling back on crap like the dance duels.

I'm right there with you. While I would love to see Mel & Maks back, any season without Tristan would be a major downer for me. And Maks is totally right - a lot of the pros have more than 1 celeb partner that should be included. How do you decide? Do you have everyone with different partners, or some with their original partners and some with different ones? It will be interesting to see how they figure out the logistics...

Edited by Twickenham, May 15, 2012 @ 11:47 AM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

Has Louis VA posted his evaluation of last evening's dances yet?

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Yep. Apparently he thinks that no one deserved 10s.

And he called out Len:

Overall:† Even though I appreciate Lenís words tonight about this Jive lacking content yet him loving it anyway, in past weeks when people were entertaining but lacked content he would tear them part. That is not fair.