DWTS In The Media

• Please log in to reply

7836 replies to this topic

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Basketball must of been a factor. Plus all the people conflicted about watching The Voice. I had a really tough time choosing dwts and even then I was constantly flipping the channel to see what I was missing.

I'll be very surprised if ratings don't go up. Word is spreading fast that this season's dwts has one of their better casts. We're in for some really good dancing in the next few weeks. Unless of course they screw it up too much with theme weeks and horrible non-danceable music choices.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:32 PM.

portfino

portfino

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

Yeah, I think The Voice is what's hurting this season, especially amongst younger viewers, which was never DWTS' strong suit.

hoosier

hoosier

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

http://www.bet.com/n...o-bet-com0.html

Nice article this morning from BET. Linking has changed, so I don't know how to do it otherwise. Sorry.

jennifer6973

jennifer6973

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Aren't there lots of NCAA finals this week? Doesn't that hurt ratings of all the other shows in March?

The only time DWTS goes up against the NCAA is the final game, which is played on a Monday night. Otherwise the games are played Thursday-Sunday the first two weeks of play.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

The show just feels tired to me. I don't even agree that it should be once a year, because I think the biggest problem is the judges and the pro dancers.

I've heard a lot of people who said they loved the premiere, but I just couldn't get into it. I wonder if that is enough of a common opinion to affect ratings.

What I hate is when I read articles saying the ratings are down because there is no one to "get people talking." Why is Chaz Bono always included in this section? The only time anyone talked about him was when they were wondering why the hell he was still on the show. The ratings were down from the very start of the season. If anything, the show's attempt to force controversy with Chaz and Nancy Grace, on the back of other stunt casting with Kate Gosselin, drove viewers away.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

Ratings are down, but so are ratings for most other shows. For it to be in it's 14th season and still attracting almost 20 million viewers is very, very healthy.

Idol beat it in the demo, but IIRC, DWTS has more total viewers than them. So, yea, ratings are down, but they are still very healthy. It's not going away anytime soon.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Some cast pictures at the Dancing Stars Season 14 premiere after party. We have a very nice looking cast this season. Katherine was stunning in her black mini-dress. Hard to imagine that they have to pay Mark to squire Katherine around LA's hot spots. Chelsie looked like she started the party a little early. Karina is stunning as ever. Derek looks like he just finished running errands. Doesn't he ever dress up?

Cast photos from the premiere After Party.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 25, 2012 @ 12:33 AM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

Yikes, I hate being the one to bring this over here, but couldn't find a reference to it in Jaleel's thread or the General Gabbery for the Season thread...
this from Jaleel's ex.

catzy

catzy

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Yikes, I hate being the one to bring this over here, but couldn't find a reference to it in Jaleel's thread or the General Gabbery for the Season thread...
this from Jaleel's ex.

He was cleared of this two years ago. Why is she bringing it up again now?

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Two years old and he was cleared? Why is anybody bringing it up?

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:04 PM

Did I do that?

Urkel got cleared two years ago.

Edited by aceplace57, Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:06 PM.

LadyEight

LadyEight

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

(Moved link about Tony to Tony's thread instead)

Edited by LadyEight, Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:06 AM.

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Two years old and he was cleared? Why is anybody bringing it up?

It was all over Huffington Post & Yahoo & AOL the night I posted it.
I have no doubt she brought it up because he's on DWTS & it's her way to embarrass him. Never my intent to add to that, I just didn't know about the "settled" bit, which were not mentioned in the brief accounts I read.

CattyTiger

CattyTiger

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

Of course they wouldn't mention the being cleared part - then it wouldn't be (old) "news." Out of curiosity, I looked it up and the article says he wasn't even questioned or charged. Woman scorned and all, trying to retaliate.

WD69

WD69

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

So Maria Menounos "wrestled" last night ("broken" ribs and all)in WWE's Wrestlemania 28 in Sun Stadium, Miami, Fl (78,000 in attendance).

In a tag-team match Maria paired up with Kelly Kelly vs. Beth Phoenix and Eve Torres, and eventually pinned Phoenix (after being pressed over-head by Phoenix) for the win.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

Jaleel White Gets In Vicious Fight

Hope this is exaggerated. Poor Kym.

For some reason the link is not working...you have to scroll down.

Mods: Please delete this post

Edited by Palomar, Apr 2, 2012 @ 5:40 PM.

Ireland77

Ireland77

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 6:39 PM

Jaleel White Gets In Vicious Fight

Here is a better link. Good lord, what an asshole. This story would have to be exaggerated by like 1000% for him not to be an asshole.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

That link doesn't work for me, Ireland77. This one does, though.

Pro dancer Mark Ballas then tried to confront White himself. As their argument escalated, White spewed: "'You remind me of that annoying sitcom neighbor who gets into everyone's business!'"

...Like Urkel?

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

MsNBC has reported the Jaleel story too. I won't be voting for this jerk anytime soon.
http://theclicker.to...-the-stars-pros

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Pro dancer Mark Ballas then tried to confront White himself. As their argument escalated, White spewed: "'You remind me of that annoying sitcom neighbor who gets into everyone's business!'"

This quote is what makes me skeptical that it was such a 'vicious' fight. People don't speak that way; tabloid magazines speak that way. I'm no Jaleel apologist and I have no doubt that there was a fight and Mark probably did step in. These kind of things happen in rehearsal (probably more than we know), which can get very emotional especially when people are being taken out of their comfort zone. More credit to Kim for being a professional and carrying on.

setsuna

setsuna

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 6:28 PM

Tony Dovolani did some post dance interviews , including asking Mark and Jaleel and Kym about the reported incident.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

From last night's episode thread:

TMZ has Ballas denying it happened.

I've no confirmation of anything, but I can't help but think there's something to it. Even if blown up by the tabloids, US (to my knowledge) isn't the Batboy school of reporting and they must have some basis.

I think Us Weekly has gotten rather bad over the past couple years. Not Batboy kind of stuff, but, once they commit to an angle on a celeb/story, they stick with it well past reason. (And they will keep dragging it out whenever they get even a teeny hint of a reason to do so). I could easily see a scenario where, after the initial story from his ex last week, they may have some "in" with the ex, so when given an opportunity to take a story and twist and magnify it to make him look like some rageaholic douchebag with a trigger temper, they jumped on it, because it just fills in the gaps in the ex's narrative for them quite nicely.

I'm not saying nothing happened at all, because it seems obvious, to me, that there is some tension and there likely was some form of disagreement between the two, but I'm also going to take Mark at his word when he says the whole "melt down" and him having to go storming in to protect Kym is BS. I think I would be shocked to find that any pair has gotten through a season of this show without arguing. They spend too much time together, learning something brand new is stressful, and the competitive urge kicking in just adds to that mix.

Having said all of that, if Jaleel gets the boot tonight, I might be willing to believe it's possible the Us version wasn't as wildly exaggerated as I currently think it is. I say that because if this blow up did happen at all resembling what was reported, and you combine it with allegations from his ex of abuse, and you don't do something about it, you're opening yourselves up to some seriously ugly future incidents and potential liability. I could see a situation where, if they believe he needs some help, they approached it as "OK, if you agree to get help, we let you dance Monday, you get eliminated, and then you get yourself into counseling, and we will keep this as quiet as possible or downplay it as much as possible if it gets out." Mark's denial today then turns to him going company man on the paparazzi.

If he sticks around beyong tonight, though, I'm going to believe that while they did have an argument, and there is some tension, it's been wildly exaggerated by Us Weekly to fit some narrative.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:28 PM

Tony came the closest to getting Mark's real feelings about Jaleel. But, Mark quickly got back on the P.R. wagon insisting it was no big deal. The show obviously wants to move forward and pretend nothing happened. Hopefully Jaleel realizes now he can't snap at Kym like she's the "hired help". I don't really expect to hear about any further problems.

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:29 PM.

bannana

bannana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

But when "Entertainment Tonight" spoke to Johnson and White, the duo danced around the question rather than give direct answers.
"I'm gonna let my wife talk," White joked as he threw the topic to the "Dancing" champ.

"You know what? Everyone has stressful weeks good weeks and bad weeks," Johnson explained. "We probably had more of a stressful week. But it wasn't anything like, obviously, a tabloid story."
White agreed.
"People have to realize this is a competition, and I had no idea how much the tabloids just besieged this show," he added. "It's never been a part of my life at all. Hopefully we can just move past this week. I had a manicure with this girl this week. That's all I need to say. I don't need to say anything else."
Well, maybe he needed to say a little more. For instance, he had something to say about that strange breakdown he had following his "Family Matters"-inspired performance Monday night the one in which he wept as he referred to alter egos Steve Urkel and Stefan Urquelle as his personal Mickey Mouse.
"I don't share these characters with anybody," he told "ET." "You got to go deep to go to that place. (There were) a lot of distractions this week and to be able to pull that out -- you just feel like you caught a winning touchdown."
Now it all makes sense -- sort of.

So, there was definitely a something that happened. And I love how he is clarifying the other weirdness from last night -- except, not really.

Bony Prominence

Bony Prominence

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:29 AM

Tony Dovolani did some post dance interviews , including asking Mark and Jaleel and Kym about the reported incident.

In Tony's interview with Mark, Mark minimized the incident, saying, "This is supposed to be a fun experience". Well, that's what I think too, and I hate it that later in the season they always feature clips of the tensions, tears and anger of the rehearsals. They LOVE to feature flare-ups, but they have deliberately swept this one under the rug. My guess is that it was A) either too early in the season or B) too nasty.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

I hope this might make the show dial back from all the showcasing of ugly conflict. It's not fun to watch, for me anyway.

I think some of that report was exaggerated (I don't believe anyone in real life would use that "sitcom neighbor" line), but from the start I got a bad vibe out of the way Jaleel treated Kym. When he told her what a "crazy eye" she had, I was surprised, and annoyed on her behalf. That's not a cute comment, or a fun quip. It was a jab, and suggested he had little respect for her.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

Wow, I can't believe Jaleel retweeted that lady's reply. That's not very respectful to Kym.

Kym hasn't said much in interviews. I guess if she's ok with the situation in rehearsals then there's not much else to say.

Jaleel White ‏ @jaleelwhite

s/o to @kym_johnson for noticing my fly was open right before we walked out on stage last night. This woman is FOCUSED #dwts LoL

karen isaacs karen isaacs ‏ @karenisaacs

@jaleelwhite Maybe she forgot to zip u back up . LMAO.
Retweeted by Jaleel White

https://twitter.com/#!/karenisaacs/status/187621429796290560

Edited by aceplace57, Apr 4, 2012 @ 9:39 PM.

SaberTail

SaberTail

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

I was surprised while clicking through channels last night to see Gavin on "One Tree Hill." Research this morning tells me he's been on the show before, one of his songs is a feature on it. Now that I know who he is, I admit I stopped to listen to/watch his performance and enjoyed it.

While looking for Gavin/Tree Hill links, I came across this. It was posted yesterday. It's interesting that Mark has gone from saying the Kym/Jaleel fight was blown out of proportion to saying it never happened at all. I wish there was a phone line to vote AGAINST a contestant, Jaleel would get all my votes.

That tweet about the zipper is disgusting, for Jaleel to post his in the first place, then to retweet the reply ... just ewwwww. I do get a kick that his crying "I love to entertain people" confessional clip is getting some airtime, combined with WTH? moderator comments.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

That tweet about the zipper is disgusting, for Jaleel to post his in the first place, then to retweet the reply ... just ewwwww. I do get a kick that his crying "I love to entertain people" confessional clip is getting some airtime, combined with WTH? moderator comments.

I agree. For Jaleel to even retweet that was disgusting. He's getting so freaking skeevy.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Are we going to be treated to a Tony-Val 'man-go'?