Unforgettable Moments: Well, Get on With It Mother-

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

203 replies to this topic

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 7:57 PM

*Note: People may be discussing moments that you might not have caught on the show yet, so be forewarned.

For the past four seasons, this show has provided so many moments, both funny and depressing, which many of us will remember for all time.

With that being said, I'll never forget seeing Stringer trying to run away from Omar and Brother Mouzone in "Middle Ground". I seriously had to rewind the tape 10 times after that scene happened, each time thinking I'd get a different outcome.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

When Prez punches his father-in-law, Valchek, near the end of season 2. It's such a "Oh, shit!" moment, cause you knew Prez was volatile, but you didn't think he would act like that. And the reaction from everyone else was priceless; a combination of shock, anger, and a sneaking admiration.

XeRocks81

XeRocks81

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

one word: Wallace

edit: a close second would be Bodie going out in a blaze of glory.

Edited by XeRocks81, Apr 9, 2007 @ 8:34 PM.

michelec

michelec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Donut unlocking Prez' car with the slim jim. Every time I think of that scene I giggle to myself.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:06 PM

The meeting between Prop Joe and Vondas at the end of season 2, basically the only scene that linked the two season 2 plotlines. One of the most brilliantly underplayed scenes the show has ever done.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:09 PM

Prez connecting the players, Lester figuring out where the dead bodies were in season 4, the dinner scene with Kima/Cheryl & Marla/Daniels when they go back to major crimes.

bodge

bodge

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

Dukie bringing Prez the pen and pencil set, with both of them realizing what it means and neither acknowledging it. Kills me.

PatrickH

PatrickH

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

Omar going out unarmed to do some shopping in his pjs, ending up with a stash.

Edited by PatrickH, Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:52 PM.

dws1982

dws1982

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

Possibly my favorite scene in the entire series is the scene between Brianna and D'Angelo in "Sentencing"--"This right here is part of the game, D."--where Brianna gradually talks him into taking the fall for his uncle, not realizing that it'll ultimately lead to D'Angelo's murder in prison. Like so many scenes in the show, it becomes even more powerful in hindsight.

Another favorite would be Ziggy's moment of realization after shooting the store owner when the deal goes bad. The character was written (and played by James Ransone) to be one of those shrill people (and we all know some people like that) who hardly anyone can stand to be around, but it also was clear that he was just putting on a huge front. Seeing him finally pushed over the edge, and seeing that front shattered made for an incredibly powerful moment.

Grubbs

Grubbs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 12:32 AM

In season 1 when Omar takes out Stinkum. Stink is just walking along, thinking he's gonna get the drop on Omar.
There is absolutely no sound, then suddenly you hear "Hey now." And Omar fires right into Stinkum. Scared the living
shit outta me.

And then of course we get the famous line "Yo Bay! You come at the king, you best not miss."

That scene killed me. I was unprepared.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

The end of one season one episode, with a series of phone calls setting up the murder of Omar's boy toy, all of it being recorded by the wiretaps but no one there to hear it. A mesmerizing piece of editing.

lunatic96

lunatic96

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 1:19 AM

During season 2, when McNulty on one of his many benders crashes into the overpass pillar then, backs up, retries the turn and crashes into the again.

nothingforjuice

nothingforjuice

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 3:08 AM

The scene in "Old Cases" (1.04) where Bunk and McNulty reconstruct that murder scene, both just saying "Fuck" to each other over and over for 5 minutes or so.

Then, when they find the bullet:

McNulty: "Motherfucker."

Bunk: (nodding sagely) "Fuck me."

A paean to the HBO-style drama.

Edited by nothingforjuice, Apr 10, 2007 @ 3:13 AM.

Confidencecohen

Confidencecohen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 6:46 AM

The chess scene in "The Buys" in season one, it's the moment I came to love the show and in retrospect it is completely amazing because of the ultimate fates of the characters involved.

"The King stays the King", indeed.

ceg1

ceg1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 7:20 AM

In S4, when Michael stares down scary soul-less Marlo after refusing his money, and then Marlo does a double take at the audacity of the kid. The quick flashes of expressions on Marlo's usually expressionless face of surprise, amusement and then respect was a great moment. Then you realize that was when Marlo decided he wanted Michael and it was the beginning of Michael's sad fate.

Hewlett

Hewlett

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 7:49 AM

The scene in S3 where Brianna is talking to McNulty about D'Angelo's "suicide". Towards the end she asks him why he didn't come to her first instead of Donette and he tells her that she's the one who convinced D to take the years so he figured he'd try someone who would care. Even though it's true it's such a cold-hearted thing to say - typical McNulty - and Brianna's grief is hard to watch in that scene. The scene blows me away every time.

Gob

Gob

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 3:32 PM

For me, the most moving moment was in the season 4 finale, when Bodie punched out the window of the cop car and started yelling "I don't give a fuck." It was at that point that it became really clear that Marlo would have to kill him (the rules of the game sort of made it necessary). I honestly almost turned my TV off, I was so distraught. The emotional impact of watching him die was nothing compared with the impact of watching him, walking around and knowing he was a dead man. The whole thing reaches its zenith with the "You're a soldier, Bodie" line when he and McNulty were having lunch in that garden - I can't think of anything that so nakedly got across so much of what the series was trying to say. I've honestly never been sad about a TV character before, but...damn.

Also, there's a scene in the third or fourth ep of season 4 (I forget exactly which) in which VP Donelly has to explain to Bubbles the necessity of Sherrod's social promotion. I went to shitty inner-city schools (Houston, Texas, baby - thank you Rod Paige, the least qualified cabinet member EVER), and scenes like that happened every day. I was impressed with how effortlessly that got woven in.

LS28

LS28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

The last scene in the penultimate episode of Season 4. Randy sarcastically shouting at a departing Carver.

I tear up just thinking about it.

JesseSP

JesseSP

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 8:16 AM

Two moments:

Season 2: The Greek music montage, ending with Sobotka walking to meet The Greek, his fate sealed. Fade Out.

Season 4: The joyous smile Dukie gives Prez while he's on the computer that Prez brought up from storage.

Great, now I'M tearing up :)

michelec

michelec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 3:19 PM

Season 3: Avon giving Stringer the smackdown for asking Slim Charles to assassinate Clay Davis. Gotta love a show where a hardcore gangsta references Frederick Forsyth.

escpla

escpla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 3:45 PM

In season two, episode four: The panning shot between Kima and Cheryl eating dinner and Cedric and Marla eating dinner. Both listening to classical music, both looking identical.

I nearly crack up every time I see it.

BigDawg

BigDawg

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 4:54 PM

In Season 3 when Avon learns that it was Stringer behind D'Angelo's death. I've probably watched that scene over 20 times. The dialogue between them is excellent. The acting. Everything. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for Avon and String.

Avon: You know what the difference is between me and you I bleed red, you bleed green.
Avon: Not hard enough for this right here and maybe not smart enough for them out there

Stringer: Because I think before I snatch a life I ain't in this BS
Stringer: There go a life that had to be snatched Avon
Stringer: He would have taken down the whole show starting with you killa

Excellent!

DearEvette

DearEvette

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 6:40 PM

The scene in "Old Cases" (1.04) where Bunk and McNulty reconstruct that murder scene, both just saying "Fuck" to each other over and over for 5 minutes or so.

I adore that scene. I can watch it over and over and over again and still feel just floored by it. Just...brilliant.

I also liked in season 2 in "All Prologue" when Omar is on the stand at Bird's trial. Totally brilliant. The jurors are horrified yet fascinated. I also loved his tie he wore. And the little conversation he had about greek mythology just before he got on the stand. And I love how his 'get out of jail free' card he got after the trial from the DA came back into play in season 4.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 10:38 PM

In season two, episode four: The panning shot between Kima and Cheryl eating dinner and Cedric and Marla eating dinner. Both listening to classical music, both looking identical.

I nearly crack up every time I see it.

Weird how both of those relationships died later on.

I shall always remember when Bunk and McNulty go into Stringer's apartment in Season 3's "Mission Accomplished". The looks on their faces when they see where he live are priceless. Plus, McNulty's "Who the fuck was I chasin'?" line was brilliant.

Gob

Gob

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 12:21 PM

Another great scene occurs in what i believe is S1, E5, when Prez explains to the detail how he cracked Avon's pager codes way of an analogy in which he recites the first few lines of "Brown Sugar" before explaining what he means. The "Boy, what the hell did you just say?" look on Freamon and especially Kimah's face is priceless.

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 12:28 PM

Season 1, WeBay takes D'Angelo to see his fish tanks. D'Angelo believes that WeBay is gonna whack him right there. Instead WeBay gives him instructions on how to feed his fish when he's gone.

Seaosn 4, after Michael's mother allows her child-molesting boyfriend to move back into their home after promising not to, Michael tells her, "you lied to me". He looked so sad and hurt.

escpla

escpla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

Seaosn 4, after Michael's mother allows her child-molesting boyfriend to move back into their home

I don't think he was a molester, rather that was what Michael told Chris in order to get him killed.

Edited by escpla, Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:36 PM.

jadefox

jadefox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:45 PM

Oh, he was definitely a molester, and he definitely molested Michael, as shown by the conversation Michael's stepdad had with Chris and Snoop right before Chris beat him to death. Talk about an unforgettable moment! I still can't watch that scene all the way through.

Edited by jadefox, Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:45 PM.

LS28

LS28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 6:30 PM

I thought the show made it quite obvious he molested Michael. All the times he touched Michael and Michael flinched. Michael's hyper-overprotectiveness of Bug, his distrust of adults who take an interest in him (especially Cutty, whose sexuality he openly wondered about despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.) I called as soon as the guy came (back) into the picture.

What was interesting though is that the show made it pretty obvious Chris was also molested as a child, and that he is essentially Michael's future.

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 6:35 PM

I love the shot of Bodie pulling up his hood during the Season 3 montage. You see how alone he is out there now that the Barksdales are pretty much gone. And I love the last look between him and Poot in "Final Grades," where Poot is begging him to run, but Bodie refuses, and they both know he's going to die. It amazes me that a character I hated for killing Wallace ended up being someone I had a lot of sympathy for.

I loved all things D'Angelo, but the scene that always gets me (besides "Where's Wallace, String!") is the end of the very first episode, when they turn Gant's body and flash to Dee, and you see how troubled he is by it. Then he walks away and you can see those great statues in the background. Poor Dee, that was probably the beginning of the end for him.

I also love all of Stringer's meetings with his underlings, which are run according to Roberts' Rules of Order. Truly awesome.