11-8: "The Way You Look, Yeah" 2007.04.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

564 replies to this topic

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:04 AM

Fucking internet. How dare you help Charla and Mirna! I hate you, internet.

Phil said walk for both detour options.

As I recall, his exact words (both times) were "make their way on foot." That's a bit of a strange formulation -- usually "make your way" is a codeword for "get there by any means of transportation that you like." At the same time, thanks to Heave in TAR3, we know that the TAR rulebook says that "walk" means "travel on foot." But if they really meant that teams had to walk, why didn't he just say "teams must walk"?

I won't be shocked if there are penalties doled out on the next leg -- but if they were planning to tell us about that, I think there would have been more foreshadowing in last night's ep. So perhaps they'll be no penalties, or penalties that we don't find out about until post-race interviews. (ETA: Meaning that I'm counting on you again, ashfett.)

Edited by strategery, Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:08 AM.

kwnyc

kwnyc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

Were Oswald and Danny this awesome in their original season?

Yes. The Power of the Cha was on display from the beginning, and has only increased over the years...

HAB

HAB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:10 AM

To clarify what happened to U & J, they said on the Early Show that when they went to pickup their tickets in Krakow (I think) that the printer for the tickets broke but the airline assured them there wouldn't be a problem with their connection. However when they got to Frankfurt the airline had them go through hoops when they tried to make the connection and it caused them to miss the flight.

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

• Interests:Halloween and the Duke Blue Devils men's basketball team.

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:09 AM

I'm really not a horrible person, but the first thing that popped into my head when Mirna was braying about the future Mirna's and Charla's was that there wasn't a Little Person with the people on the street, so how could that be possible?

I'm sorry, it's awful, but since the internet is anonymous, I knew I could share.

Still hate Mirna, still could never ever, even under penalty of death, stomach their victory of this race.

walkingguide

walkingguide

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

I have to say I loved the Cha's "Hating You" done in a sing song. Loved it. Even when they are grumpy, they are lovable. Everybody has an off day. But if we could all take it in stride like D&O and let one be grumpy and the other be gracious and wait it out without taking offense, the world would be a much better place.

Said plenty elsewhere: sanctimonious hypocritical Mirna is repulsive. Clean race? I think not, given that you brand perfectly acceptable race behavior by others as dirty, despite having done the same sort of thing yourself. E&D? OK, if "pirate hookers" is a movie quote, then I can excuse it a little more. But man, quote a movie more people have SEEN!

Masem

Masem

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

I was quite annoyed to see Mirna getting help with the newspaper challenge. I thought this was not allowed. I remember Teri/Ian getting help with some kind of bike with giant bushels in a previous season and thought this issue was settled.

Generally, teams are allowed to receive help unless the clue spells out what can and cannot be allowed. In TAR3, the basket bike challenges, teams were supposed to pedal themselves, but both Ken and Teri received an unstated penalty for the amount of help they got. Back in the beef carry task in TAR5, as well as last week's dummy-carrying, C/M were getting help for their backpacks, but *they* had to handle the real and virtual meat themselves with no help. I would surmise both clues spelled out what they (the team members) had to do.

For the newspaper challenge, it was unsurprisingly relaxed. Ok, Mirna may have gone overboard and gotten more than "8 hands", but even I would think that one would have trouble just putting enough energy to pedal the bike back. I think, everyone once in a while particularly in India or Asian countries, having tasks where the more friendlier of people can get a lead by grabbing volunteers is not a bad idea, only to see team members mingle with the locals in a friendly manner.

jacktalkthai

jacktalkthai

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:19 AM

Someone upthread mentioned there were only four numbers on the Yield, but when D&K are pasting the picture of E&D, and when E&D arrive, there are clearly five. Also, you have to choose to Yield or not before you get to the clue, so you can't count the clues first.

On the other hand, they had just come from another clue box, so they could know from that their rough position (taxi issues aside).

FWIW, I double-checked and it looked like that when each team arrived at the Yield there were five tags with numbers on them waiting to be pulled so someone was 'restocking' them. Plus, since the crew doesn't always put the exact number of clues needed in each clue box, the previous clue box would not have necessarily told the BQs much about their position. I don't think any team could have known who was where or in what order with any certainty.

I do hope C&M and D&E get a penalty for their cab ride.

I also loved Danielle's bike helmet! At some point Eric calls her 'helmet-head' so she must've realized she had it backwards but kept wearing it that way which was cool.

I've always liked the BQs so I am pleased they are doing well. Go BQs!

puck71

puck71

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:19 AM

To clarify what happened to U & J, they said on the Early Show that when they went to pickup their tickets in Krakow (I think) that the printer for the tickets broke but the airline assured them there wouldn't be a problem with their connection. However when they got to Frankfurt the airline had them go through hoops when they tried to make the connection and it caused them to miss the flight.

The ticket printer broke in Munich, and the agent there was supposed to call ahead to Frankfurt to make sure everything was taken care of, but apparently he didn't follow through with that. One of the insider videos deals with the whole situation, and Uchenna thinks if the Munich person had done what he said he would, they would have made the flight. I'm not sure why they didn't mention their connection in Munich on the episode, but they definitely stopped there before Frankfurt.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:23 AM

Uchenna thinks if the Munich person had done what he said he would, they would have made the flight.

Karma is a bitch. (Or a "dirty pirate hooker.")

Edited by rulesoftravel, Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:33 AM.

Soupy Drek

Soupy Drek

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:30 AM

I think itís weird how teams think people who yield them are bitches (or in this case hookers) who are only doing it to make enemies.

Ah, but don't you know that teams that use the Yield aren't playing "honorably" or "fairly." They are using tricks to hold other teams back. Or at least that's what the yielded teams always think.

Ucheena & Joyce: Ha-Ha!

I'm surprised anyone took the cookie detour, especially Charla/Mirna since they went through one of those random eating challenges in their season where Charla had to bite into pieces of chocolate.

Dustin/Kandice are really good racers, they never lose their cool and seem to be having fun. I was not in favor of them returning so soon after their season, but now I'm glad they did.

Well, down to a 50 percent chance of having a satisfying finish is Dustin/Kandice or Oswald/Danny win.

burnedin

burnedin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:42 AM

[quote]What's "Guido edit"?[quote]

Ok, as long as we're asking questions that everyone knows the answer to - What the heck is a "bald snark?" Or more to the point, what's its history? I've gathered it's something of a screw up.

Edited by burnedin, Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:44 AM.

revmatty

revmatty

Couch Potato

• Interests:TAR

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

Uchenna and Joyce deserve that elimination and a pity clue in my mind, not because they got screwed by their flight, but because they used the phrase “it’s a matter of life and death”.

Absolutely. That's the crappiest thing in the entire race, in my opinion. It's a GAME, not life and death. I knew the second they decided to take the risk that it was the last we'd see of them until they checked in hours after everyone. And it looks like they were at least 12 hours behind. Which has happened a lot this season.

I thought Eric's comments when they got Yielded were a pretty good insight into his psyche, and supports my theory that his an asshole, not a homophobe. When he's mad at someone he calls them whatever he thinks they would find offensive. Which isn't exactly something to be proud of or anything, but it further explains him referring to the Guido's as queens. Though "Dirty pirate hookers" was admittedly at least funny. Mainly because I'm trying to figure out how a pirate hooker would dress/talk. I think Danielle definitely showed more spine and more drive this leg, stepping up on the newspaper task and generally speaking her mind a bit more.

I also liked how Team Psycho turned a 3 hour lead coming out of the airport into 2nd place. They are geniuses at working airports/airlines. But they suck at the tasks.

Didn't the cookie vs. batik clue specifically say to get there "on foot?" I'm wondering why Charla and Mirna weren't given a penalty for cabbing it to both spots.

I wondered the same thing, and at least one other team took a cab (I think Eric and Danielle, though I don't recall). Maybe there was enough distance between the checkins that they were assessed penalties but they didn't affect placement so weren't shown.

Every Yield I remember seeing has ended with the Yielded team recovering quickly.

Danielle and her partner (Danni?) were eliminated in their season as the result of a Yield. I think it was the first time it resulted in an elimination.

Edited by revmatty, Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:49 AM.

albertj

albertj

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:50 AM

I don't know if it's deliberate, but the Yield always comes before tasks that virtually guarantee the penalty time from the Yield will be wiped out. Every Yield I remember seeing has ended with the Yielded team recovering quickly.

Except, that didn't happen here. As far as I can tell, Dustin and Kandice were able to maintain their Yield-imposed lead over Eric and Danielle.

And Burnedin, "bald snarking a detour" refers to a team from a few seasons back, nicknamed "bald snarks", who decided mid-Detour to switch to the other Detour option. I'm not sure if that was the first time a team was shown doing that, but at any rate, "bald snarking" refers to trying one Detour option, then deciding to switch to the other, ala Charla and Mirna and Danny and Oswald.

strategery

strategery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:50 AM

One other thought on Uchenna/Joyce. Given the interesting info about flight options posted above, their real mistake was in not checking about Plan B. That is, they should have seen what their next best flight would be assuming that they missed their tight connection. Presumably that would have shown them that the risk wasn't worth it. Or maybe they just assumed that bad things wouldn't happen to "good people."

In TAR3, the basket bike challenges, teams were supposed to pedal themselves, but both Ken and Teri received an unstated penalty for the amount of help they got.

Flo once claimed that Ken and Teri got penalties (see this interview) but according to Ken (post) and Ian (post) they did not get penalties. And in this interview, Flo says they got 1 hour penalty (for basically having somebody else row Flo's boat) but that the other teams weren't penalized. Regardless, I agree that no penalty for improper helping was warranted in last night's ep.

puck71

puck71

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:04 AM

One other thought on Uchenna/Joyce. Given the interesting info about flight options posted above, their real mistake was in not checking about Plan B. That is, they should have seen what their next best flight would be assuming that they missed their tight connection. Presumably that would have shown them that the risk wasn't worth it.

Agreed, but I'll go one step further - they should have booked Plan B. There was actually a 12:30 flight to Singapore, with two connecting flight options to KL arriving at 8:30 and 9:30 the next day, which would have put them at least close to the rest of the teams. Then there was a 2:00pm flight to Hong Kong they could have used to get in around noon, and the list goes on. The problem was the flights were all packed and they had to wait about 6 hours before they finally got on a flight.

flippero95

flippero95

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:08 AM

I thought it was cute/interesting that Charla and Mirna had fans. I don't want them to win, but I will say they are one of the more memorable teams in Race history.

I don't feel bad about U and J, they can go home to their other $1million. Frankly, I'm glad they got stuck because I would have cried myself to sleep had Danny and Oswald been eliminated.

TKinBaltimore

TKinBaltimore

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

I know it's always a risk when you make a detour decision, but I wish the "needle-in-a-haystack" cookie challenge would have been a little more equitable to the easiness of the batik (although Chas couldn't count!). I would have preferred if there had been 3, or 6 licorice cookies in the 600 boxes. Even though E/D found it (well, D found it), it seemed particularly difficult -- based on what the clue said -- to have to open the clam shells and then go through the 30+ cookies in each box to find the licorice one.

I also wondered how strong the licorice in the cookie was... like if it would have been possible to just open each box and find the licorice one by smell alone?

powerofjade

powerofjade

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:16 AM

I really enjoyed this episode, mainly because they came to my home city!! And the park they went to in Sri Hartamas is only about a kilometre from my house! I doubt any Race will come so close again....sigh. But at least it was great to actually know the places the Racers were going to; it made it so much more enjoyable.

About the newspaper people on bikes - they come around to collect old newspapers, and yes, they do pay you for them (not much, obviously). At my house anyways, we store up newspapers for a few weeks and then get rid of the whole pile at once, it's much easier than recycling a paper every day. The normal newspaper guys shout and toot their horns really loudly, so it can be a bit annoying. But I guess having Mirna invading your house produces the same effect. And yes, Sri Hartamas is one of the richer suburbs, but I have never personally thought that it looked like an American suburb.

As for the trains the teams took, most of the teams took the LRT, which is like the city subway. The BQs, though, took the KTM which is the city's commuter rail. They took the train to Sentul (which luckily is not that far from the Batu Caves), but if they were not careful, they might have ended up in a far-flung suburb. It was funny to see the Racers use the city's buses. Most of the buses don't run on schedule (this is because at the bus terminals, the bus drivers usually wait until the bus is full before setting off, which plays havoc with the schedule). And they serve limited areas, which explains why I've never been on a public bus before.

About the Detour, I think both detour options were quite near the bridge where the cluebox was located. I'm not sure if the clue said not to take a taxi, but it is possible to walk to both Detour options from the bridge. The weather is really hot and humid most of the year, and the city area where the Detour was is even hotter (from all the pollution and traffic and all) so I don't blame the teams for feeling worn out. After all, they had just come off a 15-hour plane ride. I don't really know why so many teams picked the biscuit Detour; batik would have been much easier since they did not even have to trace the designs on themselves but used a stamp instead. But I guess the clue would not have specified the details of the tasks. They might have thought there were maybe only 5 big biscuits in a case, because 600 boxes is a lot.

Um...so that everybody does not get the wrong idea, not everyone in Malaysia loves Mirna. I certainly don't, but the locals that greeted them did not get the chance to watch this season yet, and so their judgment is certainly impaired. But she was not that bad this episode (apart from the lame "advice" and the criticism of someone else's house). It's a bit surprising that the locals did not recognise the other racers though. After all, TAR is quite popular here (even though it's on satellite TV) and shows only 12 hours after the US telecast. But that means I have a lot of reading to do before I post, but oh well.

The BQs raced really well this episode, and I'm still rooting for them. I really hate Eric/Pink, not only for the outburst at the Yield, but the fact their whole relationship seems to get faker and faker as the Race progresses. Oswald/Danny didn't race too well this episode, but I hope they beat out either Eric/Pink or Mirna.

M Cubed

M Cubed

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:16 AM

Does Charla do ANYTHING besides stand around and watch Mirna do all the work? (Except for the knight thing, which was hilarious). All she does is follow Mirna. As useful as scuba gear on a desert.

I think Charla's totally capable of doing her share, but whenever she tries, Mirna shrieks at her about how she can't do it until it's easier for her to just stop (as witness the sign-making task a few episodes ago where Charla was successfully carrying a bunch of stuff up the stairs and Mirna put down the stuff she was carrying, went down the stairs, and yelled at Charla to stop and let her carry the stuff.) It always has to be all about Mirna. They could easily have found something for Charla to stand on (and I noticed that she was painting the fabric at the end.)

I thought there should have been penalties for them and E.D., too, for the cab taking -- maybe it didn't change the placement so they'll just announce the adjusted times at the beginning of the next episode?

And when Danny was telling Oswald he hated him, I was thinking, "maybe if Oswald takes off his shirt that will help?" Just me? OK.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

I also wondered how strong the licorice in the cookie was... like if it would have been possible to just open each box and find the licorice one by smell alone?

It looked like the licorice filling was pretty thick, although it also might have made the other cookies pick up some of the scent as well.

Even though they got left on a different continent, I'd still rather go out by taking a calculated risk than by screwing up an easy task or getting lost... and I'll kind of miss Uchenna. Joyce not so much, but definitely Uchenna.

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

I know it's always a risk when you make a detour decision, but I wish the "needle-in-a-haystack" cookie challenge would have been a little more equitable to the easiness of the batik

I agree that there was certainly a lot of hay here, but there's still strategy involved. Charla and Mirna spent three hours searching? That's insane (and poor racing). One of them should have said, "you know, there are thousands of cookies here. We have time, the other option is less than a mile away, let's just walk and see what the other detour looks like."

Knowing when to Bald Snark is a skill in and of itself.

Edited by Hailey, Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:27 AM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:26 AM

I wish the "needle-in-a-haystack" cookie challenge would have been a little more equitable to the easiness of the batik

I agree that it seemed a bit unfair. 600 boxes of cookies and I estimated about 50 cookies per box. That's a LOT of cookies to bite into. And a lot of waste. It should have been like Danny thought - one box out of the 600 contains nothing but licorice cookies. It still would have taken a considerable amount of time to open up 600 boxes. On paper, the painting sounds like it would be hard considering some of the art tasks (the sand drawings, for one) that have been on the race in the past. But it was such a piece of cake.

Um...so that everybody does not get the wrong idea, not everyone in Malaysia loves Mirna. I certainly don't, but the locals that greeted them did not get the chance to watch this season yet, and so their judgment is certainly impaired. But she was not that bad this episode

I didn't really see any favorable treatment Mirna got. She got people to help her, but so did most of the other teams.

BlackieBear

BlackieBear

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:28 AM

Uchenna & Joyce totally got the Steve & Josh (TAR 4) edit. The editors hope we've forgotten all about them and edit the arrivals of the two teams ahead of them as if elimination were at stake

Well, I forgot and I was totally fooled! Towards the end of the Roadblock I was on the edge of my seat when it was Pink vs. Danny. Then on the taxi ride I kept hoping that E&D would get lost. I was totally bummed when E&D got there first. I was waiting for Phil to tell D&O that they were eliminated but when he did not I said "whaaa"? Just then, the amazing editors flash to Joyce and Uchenna... ahhhh!

It was a good leg! Even thought I don't want to admit this-- Mirna and Charla are doing really well, props for the internet search. Danny and Oswald ( I have a crush on Oswald!) on an off day was a good demonstration on how to be annoyed and how to deal with it well.

Eric and Danille's reaction to the Yield was kinda funny. Eric was peeved at being yeilded but he was trying to be funny with the pirate hooker line. His facial expression was of him being amused at himself. I 'got' it (although not excuseing Eric), but I don't think that Danielle did- her insults were really being insulting and venemous.

chilindrina

chilindrina

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:43 AM

GO BQs! Fuck off Eric and Danille! Up until yesterday I hadn't realized how ugly those two are. I never liked them but after last night, I have a burning hatred for those two. I would rather have Charla and Mirna in the final three than those two.

OK, how cute was Kandice yelling out for old newspapers? I too was worried about D&K when they went to another station and I was so relieved they didn't make a huge mistake. I had totally forgotten about U&J being so far behind.

Edited by chilindrina, Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:19 AM.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:46 AM

I thought it was so cute when Oswald kept saying "I'll make it up to you...you know I will", meanwhile we're hearing a chorus of "hating you........."

I want to find a way to convince Oswald that I'm angry at him, so that he'll make it up to me.

HAB

HAB

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 10:48 AM

I'm surprised anyone took the cookie detour, especially Charla/Mirna since they went through one of those random eating challenges in their season where Charla had to bite into pieces of chocolate

In their season, there were a lot of eating challenges and Charla did every one of them. The chocolate task was a roadblock so they didn't really have a choice in that (in fact, the caviar & the ostrich egg tasks were roadblocks too.) I'm assuming that since Mirna had to do the tasks that Charla was physically incapable of doing due to her size, that Charla agreed to do whatever tasks weren't prohibitive due to her size.

padzac

padzac

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:09 AM

Wow, the Chas and Phil were in my city! Awesome. TAR is very popular in Malaysia. The first winners of TAR Asia were Malaysian girls.

There are 272 (I think) steps up the Batu Caves Hindu Temple. Hard one to climb. Most Hindus perform their penance climbing up the temple. The most popular spot for the world-famous Thaipusam festival is at Batu Caves.

I donít know how the racers could eat those cookies. Especially those sold at the seediest part of Kuala Lumpur. Most locals would never buy those cookies. All of the cookies taste the same. Sickly sweet but they use different cookie designs and colour to dupe the customers. The batik challenge would definitely be a better choice.

Oswald and Danny encountered some difficulty getting taxis. I hate to say this but itís probably because Danny looks African. Taxi drivers in KL donít like picking up African customers. We have many Africans in KL nowadays and the authorities (and public) have a lot of trouble with them as well. Therefore, the nicer ones tend to suffer the consequences of the nastiesí actions.

Itís suratkhabar (newspaper) lama (old). Not Barak Obama (LOL)!

Usually we sell our old newspapers. We get about USD 10 cents for every hand. I think they arranged it in such a way where the people in the Taman Sri Hartamas neighbourhood gave their old newspapers at no charge to the racers.

We Malaysians are a friendly bunch especially when we see cameras accompanying strange foreigners people on tricycles. LOL.

Loved the episode. I think Tourism Malaysia pitched hard to have an All-Star leg to be in KL to promote Visit Malaysia Year 2007.

Hated the way Charla tried using the speak English in the local accent bit again and again. She got it all wrong. Malaysians donít say ďvayree vayree goodĒ.

I know the woman greeter at the mat. One of the nicest people you could ever meet.

huckerby

huckerby

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:24 AM

I think Ozzy did a good job with the Malay words though, looks like his Cuban accent was useful! Unlike the godawful Mirna... yikes. No one talks like that, seriously!

fraksen

fraksen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

Did they have to bite every cookie? Couldn't they just smash them up with their hands? And it always amazes me that after this many seasons teams will still choose needle-in-a-haystack tasks.

I always wonder about the teams that don't choose to Yield anyone. Why wouldn't you want to slow down another team if you were in a competition? Why is that teams never understand you are not evil for choosing to yield someone but all of us in viewerland totally get it? I do worry that this will comeback to haunt the BQs on the next Yield.

Rabrab

Rabrab

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 11:33 AM

It does appear that they were told they had to bite. After Mirna commented that the cookies didn't taste good anymore, I'm sure that she would have gone to crumbling or breaking them with her hands if she could have. The fact that none of the Racers did that indicates to me that it was forbidden, and that the clue specified that they must bite the cookies. I'm sure that if breaking them any which way was allowed, Eric at least would have been crushing them wholesale.