The Quotes Topic: "Either Play, or Get Played"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

213 replies to this topic

Prettyeyes

Prettyeyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

What are your favorite quotes from The Wire? One of mine involves the title of this thread, which was used by Omar when he was being interrogated by the cops. Of course, how could we forget the "Fuck!" scene, which is the only word Jimmy and Bunk used in the "Natural Police" episode? I would've used that for the title, but I was afraid someone would get offended.

Put your favorite quotes from The Wire here.

Edited by Prettyeyes, May 6, 2007 @ 2:21 PM.

SouthernGent

SouthernGent

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 11:07 AM

One of the first has be from Clay Davis, "Ssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttttttt"

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 11:35 AM

I can't remember the ep or the exact quote, but it was in Season 2, when Daniels is asking Kima to rejoin the task force, and he says something like, "I'll talk to your old lady if you talk to mine." Really funny.

Redshift

Redshift

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

"Boy's learnin' something!"

Schoonie

Schoonie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 1:28 PM

"The answer is B, cause it got them dinks."

seejanerun

seejanerun

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 1:41 PM

"Right now I am personally ashamed to be your snitch" - Bubbles (naturally) to Kima during the first season.

LisaJunior

LisaJunior

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 1:42 PM

Forever and all time. . .

"It's all in the game."

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 1:48 PM

A classic from the one and only Bunk--"I'm just a humble motherfucker with big ass dick."

And from the class cool Lester Freamon--"All the pieces matter."

By the way, I think the original poster really dropped the ball by titling the quotes thread "Fuck".

Edited by lynch, Apr 6, 2007 @ 1:51 PM.

ladevotchka

ladevotchka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 3:54 PM

There are way too many awesome quotes, but the ones that come to mind include:

Stringer: "What kind of dog?" '
Prop Joe: "The kind that mistakes your leg for pussy."

Rhonda Pearlman: "What's the most useless thing on a woman? A drunken Irishman."

Stringer: "Now, if this no-count nigga got two cell phones, how the fuck you gonna sell any more of them motherfuckers? That's market saturation."

lilpupdog

lilpupdog

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 4:00 PM

Herc - Hey Boy Wonder, why don't you come over here and suck my Bat-Dick?

hee.

escpla

escpla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

Don't matter who did what to who at this point.
Fact is that we went to war and there ain't no turnin' back.
I mean, shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it.
If it's a lie then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight.

-- Slim Charles

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 7:13 PM

That might be my favorite quote in the whole story, because it explains so much about... well, about a lot of things.

Landsman to Kima, as she moves to Homicide: For you I would suggest some pantsuits, perhaps muted in color, something to offset Detective Moreland's pinstripe lawyerly affectations and the brash tweedy impertinence of Detective Freamon.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

Oh so many, let's see;
Bunk yelling , "Jiimmmmmaaay!"
Prop Joe in season 2 saying something about no good relatives, "Can't pop a cap in they ass and sit down to Thanksgiving dinner".
Donut when he pulled up in The Cadillac Escalade:"Gentlemen"
Cheese on Omar and his crew: "He had this one ho pulling guns out her pussy. This shit is unseemly!"

jadefox

jadefox

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 7:29 PM

I have to add this one from S4:

Cheese to Prop Joe: "I mean, Omar had this one chick pullin' guns out her pussy. That shit was unseemly, yo."

Priceless.

ETA: dammit, puds38 beat me to it! still funny, though!

Edited by jadefox, Apr 6, 2007 @ 7:30 PM.

BlackCorduroy

BlackCorduroy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

There are so many amazing lines that it's difficult to narrow it down to some choice favorites.

Bodie: "This game is rigged, man."

Stringer Bell: "Nigga, is you taking notes on a criminal fucking conspiracy?"

and my favorite, courtesy Marlo: "You think it's one way. But it's the other way."

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 8:16 PM

Landsman to Kima, as she moves to Homicide: For you I would suggest some pantsuits, perhaps muted in color, something to offset Detective Moreland's pinstripe lawyerly affectations and the brash tweedy impertinence of Detective Freamon.

Oh come on now Orion...Landsman said that line to Beadie, not Kima.

escpla

escpla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 9:10 PM

This is long, but its a great example of the brilliance of both Ed Burns (who originated the idea of the paper bag for drugs) and Robert Wisdom, who delivers it perfectly.

Somewhere back in the dawn of time, this district had itself a civic dilemma of epic proportion. The city council had just passed a law that forbid alcoholic consumption in public places. On the streets and on the corners. But the corner is, it was, and always will be, the poor man's lounge. It's where a man wants to be on a warm summer's night. It's cheaper than the bar, you catch a nice breeze, and you watch the girls go by. But, the law is the law and Western cops rolling by, what were they going to do? If they arrested every dude out there for tipping back a High Life there'd be no other time for any other kind of police work. And, if they looked the other way, they open themselves up to all kinds of flaunting, all kinds of disrespect. This is before my time when it happened, but somewhere back in the 50s or 60s, there was a small moment of goddamn genius by some nameless smokehound who comes out the cut-rate one and on his way to the corner he slips that just bought pint of elderbarry into a paper bag. A great moment of civic compromise. That small, wrinkled-ass paper bag allowed the corner boys to have their drink in peace and allowed us permission to go and do police work. The kind of police work that's worth it; worth fighting for.

There's never been a paper bag for drugs.

-- Major Colvin

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:16 PM

I've got a good Colvin quote

"It was but a few weeks ago, I was in a room with him being called everything but a child of God."

ladevotchka

ladevotchka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

So many Omar quotes, so little space!

From ep. 2-15, "Undertow" when McNulty takes Omar shopping:
McNulty: The voucher says 150. Look on the clearance rack. It's a look.
Omar: Naw it ain't. (it's MKW's delivery here that really sells this line!!!)
McNulty: Here, you figure it out for yourself. I'm going across the street to the federal building. I'll see you in about a half hour.
Omar: Hey look, man, if I ain't here, I'm round the way on Howard Street, Lydell's. Either that, or I'll be with Muffy at the club.

Basically all of Omar's scenes in "All Prologue" (ep. 2-6, my favorite episode of The Wire) are highly quotable, including:

Levy: You are amoral, are you not? You are feeding off the violence and the despair of the drug trade. You're stealing from those who themselves are stealing the lifeblood from our city. You are a parasite who leeches off--
Omar: Just like you, man.
Levy: --the culture of drugs... Excuse me, what?
Omar: I got the shotgun. You got the briefcase. It's all in the game, though, right?

Eileen Nathan: Mr. Little, how does a man rob drug dealers for eight or nine years and live to tell about it?
Omar: Day at a time, I suppose.

Same ep - this exchange between Herc and Carver after Herc tries to ask Beadie out:

Carver: (imitating Herc) Im Thomas. You want a coffee?
Herc: Hey, listen. I was gonna ask her for her panties to make some soup with, but uh, I was afraid shed take it the wrong way. (edit)

nightowl144

nightowl144

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

"...and then he dropped the bracelets."

Every now and then when a family discussion goes off on a tangent and we have to get back on track my dad or I will point to someone and say "I believe Poot has the floor."

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:37 PM

I was always partial to in Episode 24 "Bad Dreams"...

Bunk: Man, them Greeks and them twisted ass names.
McNulty: Man, lay off the Greeks they invented civilization.
Bunk: Yeah, and ass fuckin' too.

Edited by RoxieVelma, Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:38 PM.

mralbert

mralbert

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 12:05 AM

My favorite is by Norman - his advice to Corcetti: "Don't burn your bridges, unless you are sure you can part the water"

Edited by mralbert, Apr 7, 2007 @ 12:06 AM.

ChiliMac

ChiliMac

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 1:40 AM

Mine's kind of lame, because I can't remember the first part, but McNulty asked Omar something and his answer was, "Oh, indeed." Omar's delivery was the bad-ass part -- I rewound it twice.

RoxieVelma

RoxieVelma

Fanatic

• Interests:http://myspace.com/roxievelma<br />http://lifetimemovieaddikt.blogspot.com

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 9:22 PM

I don't know why, but this one always made me laugh in Season One:

Pearlman: Let me understand. You're married and a date is a room at the Best Western with the blinds closed. Now you're single, and a date is you coming over unannounced to learn the legal requisities for a pager intercept.
McNulty: Pretty much.

Hamiltone

Hamiltone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 10:47 PM

It kills me when Bunk calls McNulty "bitch." He does it a few times throughout the series - like, Bunk will stick it to McNulty, then grumble/smirk, with that awesome voice of his, "...happy now, bitch?"

Cracks me up every time.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 10:53 PM

The Bunk/Jimmy friendship is one of the best things about the show, whether he's yelling "Jimmaaay!" or calling him a bitch.

Hamiltone

Hamiltone

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

Also, the quote that will always sort of define the show for me:

D'Angelo: "Where's Wallace, String? Where's Wallace?"

Grubbs

Grubbs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 11:07 PM

Spiros: They have my name, but my name is not my name.

I love his delivery. It perfectly fits this calm, cool murderer. Excellent line.

Also, can someone please transcribe the "fuck" murder scene from season 1? I'm too lazy, but that always cracks me up.

und1sk0

und1sk0

Channel Surfer

• Interests:TV

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

McNulty: Jameson's, please.
Bartender: Bushmills alright?
McNulty: Bushmills?! That's protestant whisky..
Bartender(glibly): The price is right, ain't it?

Schoonie

Schoonie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

Also from Cheese, right before Omar busts into Prop Joe's fixit shop: "You know who got the best ass and pussy? Midgets, yo. I'm not even playin'."

Edited by Schoonie, Apr 8, 2007 @ 8:54 AM.