Indeed: The Omar Little Topic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

145 replies to this topic

Prettyeyes

Prettyeyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:10 AM

He's everyone's favorite shotgun-toting, grandma-loving, openly gay thug. He knows the rules and knows how to break 'em, when necessary.

Chat about Omar Little here.

SpiitakeMshroom

SpiitakeMshroom

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 10:53 AM

We can do better than this. No offense.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

The Cheese stands alone. I was kinda happy to see Omar riding off into the sunset at the end of season 4. As much as I want to see him again, after that last big heist I fear for his life if Omar returns to the game.

alex90028

alex90028

Video Archivist

• Interests:Tv of course, love going out with friends to bars/clubs. The beach, mountains. Weekend trips to Vegas, Santa Barbera or Big Bear

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 8:16 PM

...but what would be the last season of The Wire without Omar?

ndmgill

ndmgill

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 11:25 PM

It is bad enough I may not get any Avon in the last season but no Omar oh the horror!

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

Seriously, is there anything more awesome than watching Omar on the stand?

TarHeelTeacher

TarHeelTeacher

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 10:02 PM

Omar makes the sun shine, the birds sing, and the flowers bloom. He is, IMO, the best character on the show. Love him.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 5:34 AM

And he looks gorgeous walking down the street in blue satin pajama bottoms.

praeceptrix

praeceptrix

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 11:20 AM

And he looks gorgeous walking down the street in blue satin pajama bottoms.

And even better when waking up, grabbing a gun, & walking to the window to check out what sounded like gunfire before putting on those blue satin pajama bottoms. Sigh. The thing is, as sexy as he is in that scene (& the rest of the time), what made it so much better was the sheer ordinariness (other than the gun, that is) of it all: waking up, leaving Nardo sleeping, getting some breakfast, then yelling at Nardo for using up the cereal, plus the comic touch of trying to figure out how to stick the gun in the pajama bottoms.

I loved how the honey-nut cheerios continued to be referenced later. Was his preference for honey-nut cheerios a running joke before season 4?

Sure -- Omar kissing Brandon.

Anifan19

Anifan19

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 12:09 PM

I was kinda happy to see Omar riding off into the sunset at the end of season 4. As much as I want to see him again, after that last big heist I fear for his life if Omar returns to the game.

Yah, in contrast to Bubbles (who seems to be at rock-bottom), Omar's at the top and has nowhere to go but downhill... he's definitely gonna be going through some tragic moments in S5, especially after Butchie's ominous warning at the end of S4. Will they actually kill him off? I tend to think so, because he is that sort of Wild West "outlaw" character whose reputation would just be cemented by some sort of legendary death that everyone would be talking about. But would something like that really fit the theme of the show? Maybe we're in for an ignominious deconstruction of the legend of Omar in S5, and he'll be brought back down to Earth in a brutal way. Hmmm...

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 1:22 PM

Omar kissing Brandon.

As much as I like Omar and Reynaldo, Omar & Brandon will always be my OTP.

Will they actually kill him off? I tend to think so, because he is that sort of Wild West "outlaw" character whose reputation would just be cemented by some sort of legendary death that everyone would be talking about. But would something like that really fit the theme of the show? Maybe we're in for an ignominious deconstruction of the legend of Omar in S5, and he'll be brought back down to Earth in a brutal way. Hmmm...

Didn't Simon say that the Omar character was based on a real person ? I think he's still alive, so I hold out hope that Simon won't kill off Omar.

ladevotchka

ladevotchka

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 1:34 PM

Omar is apparently a composite of several stick-up boys. I'm not sure, but apparently Simon had originally intended to kill Omar off in the first season, or at least had told that to Michael K. Williams. But, MKW did such a fantastic job, they expanded his storyline.

Anifan19

Anifan19

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2007 @ 3:20 PM

Didn't Simon say that the Omar character was based on a real person ? I think he's still alive, so I hold out hope that Simon won't kill off Omar.

Yah, Omar was a composite. One of those two huge guys who protected Omar in prison in S4 was played by one of the "real-life Omars."

But Simon always says that he's not "telling the story" of any real-life people and that the characters (who are all composites) will serve the needs of the plot-- for example, I believe the "real" Stringer Bell just went to prison and wasn't killed, but it made so much more dramatic sense to have Stringer die. That's why I think the plot is headed toward an Omar comeuppance of some kind.

Prettyeyes

Prettyeyes

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 9:16 AM

Seriously, is there anything more awesome than Omar on the witness stand?

Sure--Omar kissing Brandon.

Or the way the mere mention of his name causes everyone on the street in his neighborhood to run for cover.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

Or just walk down the street and have people nervous. Remember the kids in season three running ahead yelling, "Omar's coming!" when all he was doing was a making a breakfast run?

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

• Interests:Being TWoP Howard

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 6:55 PM

And the bag of cocaine someone dropped in his path in Season 4, just to save him the trouble of sticking them up.

BDasus353

BDasus353

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 2:45 PM

And the bag of cocaine someone dropped in his path in Season 4, just to save him the trouble of sticking them up.

If I remember correctly, when he got back to his pad, he was pissed. Not because he recieved the coke, but it was given rather than 'earned'. It was the principle of the thing, rather than the drugs themselves.

Omar is just a case of great writing and great acting on the part of Michael K Williams. The idea that a drug dealing thief being seen as sympathetic, hell, even likable is something not seen everyday.

LS28

LS28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 9:19 PM

It's because a man's got to have a code.

Grubbs

Grubbs

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

What's great too is that the kids shouting out his name the same way they shout "5-0"
Instead of "5-0 strollin'" They shout "Omar strollin'"

smallaxe0217

smallaxe0217

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 4:07 PM

The idea that a drug dealing thief being seen as sympathetic, hell, even likable is something not seen everyday.

I didn't think that Omar was/is a dealer. A robber yes, but he doesn't sell the stuff to junkies/users.

neighbors

neighbors

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 8:27 PM

No. I just finished watching season 2, and that is *hands down* my favorite episode of the series so far.

Zycron

Zycron

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 12:39 PM

I wonder if Omar's new boyfriend will still be around next season? It still seems that Brandon was the love of his life. Dante kinda idolized him, but he wasn't tough enough for the game. This new guy comes off more like a business arrangement.

MisterKennedy

MisterKennedy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:10 PM

I didn't think that Omar was/is a dealer. A robber yes, but he doesn't sell the stuff to junkies/users.

Did you see Season 1???

LS28

LS28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 6:15 PM

Omar is Robin Hood if Robin Hood was a capitalist.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 9:36 PM

I wonder if Omar's new boyfriend will still be around next season? It still seems that Brandon was the love of his life. Dante kinda idolized him, but he wasn't tough enough for the game. This new guy comes off more like a business arrangement.

I hated Dante, but for some reason I like Omar with 'Naldo. I think he's a close to love as Omar may get after Brandon.

LS28

LS28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 11:22 PM

Even though this would never happen in a million years (nor should it), I thought that Kimmie was a much better match for Omar in Seasons 2 and 3 than Dante was.

I was so glad to see Kimmie back in Season 4.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2007 @ 7:45 PM

If I remember correctly, when he got back to his pad, he was pissed. Not because he recieved the coke, but it was given rather than 'earned'. It was the principle of the thing, rather than the drugs themselves.

Yes, there's that line, something to the effect of getting soft playing with puppies, how's it going to be with the wolves.

Severian

Severian

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 5:23 AM

Yah, in contrast to Bubbles (who seems to be at rock-bottom), Omar's at the top and has nowhere to go but downhill... he's definitely gonna be going through some tragic moments in S5, especially after Butchie's ominous warning at the end of S4. Will they actually kill him off? I tend to think so, because he is that sort of Wild West "outlaw" character whose reputation would just be cemented by some sort of legendary death that everyone would be talking about. But would something like that really fit the theme of the show? Maybe we're in for an ignominious deconstruction of the legend of Omar in S5, and he'll be brought back down to Earth in a brutal way. Hmmm...

I think the whole Bunk/Omar thread may play out in Season 5. Do you remember the scene in season 3 where Bunk told Omar the story of his childhood (and Omar had that gross spittle-thread on his chin)? It seems to me that, as a character, Omar's always just on the verge of realising the hypocrisy/moral emptiness of his "code".

As a character, Omar always struck me as Bubs' opposite - Bubs realises how crap his life is, but lacked the will to change until now. Omar could change in a heartbeat if he wanted to - but seems to either be in denial, or unable to work out how hard he really has it.

(Not that I don't love Omar with a passion, and hope he keeps doing his thang forever. Ten bucks says that the last shot of the season is him whistling "Farmer in the Dell" into the darkened streets of West Balmer.)

minisprout

minisprout

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:33 AM

The fact that Omar sings children's ditties while hunting down his prey? Freaky, terrifying and awesome, all at once.

The fact that Omar does not kill those who are not "in the game"? Earns him a measure of respect from me.

The fact that Omar totally took the piss out of the fancy smartass lawyers while on the stand in his cheap clip on tie? Awesome.

I am hoping that Omar is instrumental in bringing down Marlo, who kills ANYONE for ANY reason...just because he can. That should stick in Omar's craw for two reasons: he's stealing some of Omar's thunder (fear factor) and has no code.

Edited by minisprout, Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:34 AM.

smallaxe0217

smallaxe0217

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 19, 2007 @ 12:20 PM

Did you see Season 1???

Yes I did, back in 2004. I haven't seen it since then, so I may have forgotten parts. Where in Season 1 did Omar sell dope?