braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 8:59 PM

Big Chill reunion! I love it!!

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2008 @ 11:16 PM

I want to enjoy my summer, but all of my favorite shows(Damages, The Shield, Dexter, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, etc.) start in the fall and winter! Still, I can't wait for the new season. I know that William Hurt will kick major ass in this role.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 8:35 AM

Mo Ryan reports that Deadwood's Timothy Olyphant will be joining the cast for S2 and is somehow entangled with Ellen.

elvira7

elvira7

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2008 @ 9:15 AM

William Hurt AND Timothy Olyphant? The Damages cast is a true embarrassment of riches.

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Jul 14, 2008 @ 7:30 AM

Remember Agent Harrison? He'll be back too.

Link

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 1:45 PM

A couple more pieces of casting news. Marcia Gay Harden will play a rival attorney and Ted Danson will be back for an unspecified number of episodes.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 2:03 PM

You know, I'm starting to feel sorry for the poor set builders for this show. With all the scenery that's gonna get chewed, they'll be busier than one-armed paper hangers!

JeanPoole

JeanPoole

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

William Hurt? Marcia Gay Harden? Mario Van Peebles? All wonderful and good and often over the top. I'm with attica finch. If they add Julie Walters they'll have to deforest a continent to keep up the supply of chewable scenery.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:29 PM

How the hell did they get the budget for this crowd? I just hope there's enough room on the "small" screen to hold all these people. William Hurt is not my favorite actor. So wooden, so I'm not excited to see him.

Timothy Olyphant, Hells Yeah! Glad to see Ellen is getting some better dude than what's his face. He was way too wimpy. I wonder if he'll be paid by Patty Hewes to distract Ellen if she gets too close. Nothing can be too easy.

We we figured Ted would be back.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2008 @ 10:51 PM

Eh, Van Peebles seemed relatively restrained during his brief performance last season.

Princess Lucky

Princess Lucky

Fanatic

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 2:23 PM

William Hurt is not my favorite actor. So wooden, so I'm not excited to see him.

Timothy Olyphant, Hells Yeah!

Heh, I'd think Olyphant is the more wooden one between the two (I mean, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Broadcast News, Body Heat!) but to each their own.

And I say that as someone who actually loves them both. In fact I'm going to start watching the show because they joined the cast. It was already on my radar but these additions tipped the scale.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jul 16, 2008 @ 4:09 PM

William Hurt is not my favorite actor. So wooden, so I'm not excited to see him.
Timothy Olyphant, Hells Yeah!

Heh, I'd think Olyphant is the more wooden one between the two (I mean, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Broadcast News, Body Heat!) but to each their own.

And more recently, A History of Violence (fantastic!), Nightmares and Dreamscapes (on TV), and Into the Wild.

I also like Olyphant. I wasn't a Deadwood watcher, but I loved him in Samantha Who? and My Name is Earl.

As for Danson returning, I just hope it's flashbacks. I thought he was great on this show, but it made sense for Frobisher to die. Sometimes even popular characters need to die for drama's sake.

OneWomanArmy04

OneWomanArmy04

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:15 AM

Congratulations to Glenn Close, Zeljko Ivanek, Ted Danson, and the series as a whole on the Emmy noms. It's too bad Rose Byrne didn't sneak in, but this is still pretty freaking cool. Damages has also made Emmy history by being one of the first ever basic cable series to be nominated for Best Drama.

Outstanding Series, Drama
Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

Outstanding Actress, Drama
Sally Field, Brothers & Sisters
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer
Glenn Close, Damages
Mariska Hargitay, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
Holly Hunter, Saving Grace

Outstanding Supporting Actor, Drama
William Shatner, Boston Legal
Ted Danson, Damages
Zeljko Ivanek, Damages

Michael Emerson, Lost
John Slattery, Mad Men

Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series

Boston Legal The Mighty Rogues ABC David E. Kelley Productions in association with 20th Century Fox Television
Arlene Sanford, Director

Breaking Bad Pilot AMC High Bridge Productions, Inc. and Gran Via Productions in association with Sony Pictures Television
Vince Gilligan, Director

Damages Pilot FX Networks FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television
Allen Coulter, Director

House House's Head FOX Universal Media Studios in association with Heel and Toe Films, Shore Z Productions and Bad Hat Harry Productions
Greg Yaitanes, Director

Mad Men Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Pilot) AMC Lionsgate Television
Alan Taylor, Director

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series

Brothers & Sisters ABC ABC Studios
Jeanie Bacharach, C.S.A., Casting Director
Gillian O'Neill, C.S.A., Casting Director

Damages FX Networks FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television
Julie Tucker, C.S.A., Co-Casting Director
Ross Meyerson, Co-Casting Director
Avy Kaufman, Casting Director - Pilot

Friday Night Lights NBC Imagine Entertainment, Film 44, Universal Media Studios
Linda Lowy, Casting By
John Brace, Casting By
Beth Sepko, Texas Casting Director

Mad Men AMC Lionsgate Television
Kim Miscia, Casting Director (Pilot)
Beth Bowling, Casting Director (Pilot)
Laura Schiff, Casting Director (Series)
Carrie Audino, Casting Director (Series)

The Tudors Showtime Showtime Presents in association with Peace Arch Entertainment, Reveille, Working Title, An Ireland Canada co-production
Nuala Moiselle, Casting By
Frank Moiselle, Casting By
Mary Jo Slater, C.S.A., US Casting By
Steve Brooksbank, C.S.A., US Casting By
Stephanie Gorin, C.S.A., C.D.C., Canadian Casting By

Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series

Battlestar Galactica Six Of One Sci Fi Channel Universal Media Studios in association with R & D TV
Michael Angeli, Written By

Damages Pilot FX Networks FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television
Todd A. Kessler, Written By
Glenn Kessler, Written By
Daniel Zelman, Written By

Mad Men Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Pilot) AMC Lionsgate Television
Matthew Weiner, Written By

Mad Men The Wheel AMC Lionsgate Television
Matthew Weiner, Written By
Robin Veith, Written By

The Wire 30 HBO Blown Deadline Productions in association with HBO Entertainment
David Simon, Teleplay By/Story By
Ed Burns, Story By

Sources: ComingSoon and TV Guide

Edited by OneWomanArmy04, Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:32 AM.

bumblehare74

bumblehare74

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:26 AM

I am glad to see that this show is coming back. I really don't like the timing of the new episodes, but I suppose that can't be helped. I think this is the type of show that does far better in the summer since there isn't as much competition.

Jaundiced Eye

Jaundiced Eye

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 12:59 PM

As for Danson returning, I just hope it's flashbacks. I thought he was great on this show, but it made sense for Frobisher to die. Sometimes even popular characters need to die for drama's sake.

Totally get your point, but, to me, the show just wouldn't be the same without Frobisher. Needless to say, I hope he survived the shooting.

I'm also very intrigued by William Hurt's joining the cast. Like this show wasn't awesome enough last season!

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 2:20 PM

How the hell did they get the budget for this crowd?

My guess is that they all offered to work in exchange for the minimum salary, which is pretty common amongst big name actors, as far as them taking less money for the chance to work on certain projects that interest them.

needsleep05

needsleep05

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 4:03 PM

Congrats to the show and to Glenn Close, Ted Danson and Zeljko Ivanek. I was hoping Rose Byrne and Anastasia Griffith might make the cut, but they're not exactly recognized names.

Yay for William Hurt, Timothy Olyphant and Marcia Gay Harden!

As much as I love him, I do kind of agree that Olyphant can be a bit wooden. I loved his sleazy and smart mouthed character from GO and I loved him in Deadwood, so I'm hoping his character falls somewhere between them. He does shit-starter/hothead quite well, but he looses me when he tries to do the outright romantic good-guy thing.

My guess is that they all offered to work in exchange for the minimum salary, which is pretty common amongst big name actors, as far as them taking less money for the chance to work on certain projects that interest them.

That true. Based on their work, WH and MGH seem to fall into that group of actors who'll work for less than usual if they really like the material they're given. I also don't think TO is someone who could really ask for a lot of money.

Totally get your point, but, to me, the show just wouldn't be the same without Frobisher. Needless to say, I hope he survived the shooting.

At first I didn't want him back, but I've been rewatching season 1 and I think he'd be great as more of a tertiary character. I'd assume he's taking legal action against the former employees who shot him and I'd imagine Patty Hewes & Associates would be dragged into the proceedings somehow.

JeanPoole

JeanPoole

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:27 PM

Re: Frobisher alive. According to the producers he is, "but not very." I assume he'll be hanging on and will present more of a threat if he lives? They can still use him in flashback to expand on his shenanigans but also allude to the fact that if he lives, he's got something incriminating and huge on Patty. Just a hunch.
I don't find William Hurt wooden at all. He does play some tightly wound, inexpressive men on occasion, but when called upon to emote or go over the top, he gets a lot of lift.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:33 PM

ITA. It's a great cast and I'm happy to see Danson back, plus all the new names.

And I don't give a shit how they got the budget for it. It's Hollywood. No matter how much they cry poor mouth, they bleed money and always find a way to get what they want. And for many, many A-list actors, television is where it's at. So be it.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 10:46 PM

To each their own re: Olyphant vs. William Hurt. Cage match, anyone?? :) Just can't wait to the next season!

Congrats to all the noms! I hope they get the writing award. It could have been a cliched legal thriller, but it went way beyond that and keeping track of all the threads that came & went (nowhere) couldn't have been easy to track.

Of course the individual noms are great. Too bad Rose didn't get one as best "supporting" actress. Maybe they couldn't figure out where to put her. She wasn't really supporting, but I don't know if it would be right putting her in lead actress on par with Glenn Close. YMMV...

JesseBaker

JesseBaker

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:15 PM

Re: Frobisher alive. According to the producers he is, "but not very." I assume he'll be hanging on and will present more of a threat if he lives? They can still use him in flashback to expand on his shenanigans but also allude to the fact that if he lives, he's got something incriminating and huge on Patty.

My guess is that they'll have Frobisher involved in a B-Plotline for an episode or two. Maybe run the angle where Ellen goes after him to try and get him to confess to having orchestrated the death of her fiance, while he's on his deathbed from the injuries he substained at the end of season one.

Edited by JesseBaker, Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:17 PM.

lynch

lynch

Fanatic

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

I agree. I'm guessing 3-4 episodes for Frobisher at most. With all of the high profile talent they're signing up for the show, they pretty much have to be cutting somebody loose.

Cgr

Cgr

Fanatic

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 7:27 AM

Damages has also made Emmy history by being one of the first ever basic cable series to be nominated for Best Drama.

NPR even did a piece on it yesterday. They covered Mad Men more then Damages but both are great shows. Can't wait for them both to have new shows on.

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2008 @ 1:02 AM

It's a shame that I'm out of town this weekend for the marathon, but I'm glad it's being played. I loved this show so much, I need to watch it again. Thankfully I have the DVDs.

(TWoP Gods, please recap this show. PLEASE?)

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2008 @ 10:07 PM

There's a marathon this weekend? I don't see it in my tv guide. Are you in the U.S. Pinwiz?

Still Sammy

Still Sammy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2008 @ 12:26 AM

I've seen several banner ads pop up on this site promoting the marathon. Saturday from 7 AM to 8 PM FX will be reairing the entire first season. I don't have the DVDs, but I'll definitely be TiVo'ing it.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2008 @ 4:00 AM

I started watching this show when it originally aired. I recommended it to my mom and younger sister who both became devoted fans. But eventually *I* had to give up after TiVo ate a few of the eps that had backlogged. I now have a TiVo with a much bigger hard drive, so I'm planning on recording the entire marathon on 8/9. And then, at some point in the next two weeks, I plan to sit my butt on the couch for ten hours--or whatever it'll take the watch (scanning through commercials)--and power through.

**very excited**

Arizonaguy

Arizonaguy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2008 @ 10:15 PM

Wow, the marathon reminded me of how much I love-love-love Damages! January (I think that's when it returns for Season Two) sure sounds like a long ways off...

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

I realized the marathon was on too late, but I got to check out some of my favorite scenes from the last two eps: Ellen walks out of jail and into real time, and the docks: PAYBACK!

Black Knight

Black Knight

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 6:27 PM

I watched the entire marathon yesterday without once getting bored or wanting to FF. Instead I'm just blown away anew by the brilliance of the show. Watching it knowing what happens just illuminated more moments of genius. One small example - in Frobisher and Larry's first scene together, they're looking at one of Frobisher's guns! From the very first, the show knew that they were going to have Larry shoot Frobisher at the end and put in that bit of foreshadowing.

Watching the entire season in one go also helped me keep straight which questions have already been answered, and which ones still need to be answered. The latter include, of course, what the backstory is with Julia Hewes, why Patty hates Frobisher, what specifically the Feds are looking at Patty for (we know the charges, but not what case or people are involved), why Patty's son didn't want her and Phil to know he was at their place the night before Ellen was attacked there, what caused Patty to throw her drink against the wall at the beach house, if Patty's men planted a bug at Ellen's place and if so what did they hear during the confrontation in which David died, who tried to get into the apartment that sent Ellen fleeing out the window, and what Uncle Pete meant by "It's done."

Yes, that's right, after re-watching the entire season I don't think Patty tried to kill Ellen. I don't think the guy she struggled with and killed was there to kill her at all. A very important point that stood out to me on the rewatch is that he didn't attack her first - she heard him come in, understandably jumped to conclusions, ran down the stairs past him, grabbed a knife from the kitchen, and attacked him. That's when he got violent. He was wearing no gloves and had no weapon. Why would Pete make a confirming call of "It's done" to Patty before he knew Ellen was dead? Why would Patty set up Ellen to be murdered in her own apartment? Either Ellen's body is left there for the police, in which case Patty immediately comes under suspicion - and the police dump the phones and find that she received a call from her shady "fixer" right about the time Ellen was murdered, another reason why Pete's call to Patty makes no sense in this context. Or Ellen's body is removed from the apartment and dumped somewhere, which is unhelpful because first, people saw Ellen at the apartment and Patty has no way of knowing that Ellen didn't call someone to say where she was staying the night, which means that her murder or disappearance still gets traced back to Patty's apartment anyway. And finally, if the plan was to remove Ellen's body, her intended killer could not have done it by himself, so why didn't Pete just send in a second or third guy with him in the first place to make sure that the strangulation or whatever went as planned, since a physical struggle is a lot dicier than simply shooting Ellen from a distance? And as for motive, Ellen is complicit also in the blackmail - she can't take Patty down without taking herself down. Heck, she told Patty to do it. Ellen may have been feeling regretful, but she's never been shown to have the sort of strength of conscience that she'd actually hurt/destroy herself to make amends (remember the contrast between her and her father, with the car accident lawsuit). Finally, this is Patty freaking Hewes, who does not like murder to begin with and to whom Ellen is still not on the same playing level - and she thinks that she can't get around Ellen some other way than to commit murder, which she's never done before and, if we are to believe that she did it now, we saw such utter horror, fear and devastation over? For Patty to get to the point of murder (and no, I don't feel Patty considers the dog-killing to be on the same level), I'd need to see her in a lot tighter of a situation than whatever threat Ellen represented here. It's not any one point in itself that I find bothersome per se, and each individual point can be explained away, but all of the points together is what makes the "Patty tried to kill Ellen" theory hard to swallow. If it were a different show, then maybe. But Damages is too much of a smart, subtle, character-driven show for me to believe it. A show where Hollis Nye gets Ellen to first sign her name, and then writes above her signature as if she knew what she was signing to, as a wonderful microcosm of the way he eventually entraps her with the Feds - that is not a show that sets up one of its central characters to attempt to murder its other central character in a way that brings up so many problematic points I have to explain away.

The closest parallel - and this is a show that loves its parallels as means of character-building - to the Patty and Ellen situation is Patty and Ray. Ray could have simply opted to expose Patty's blackmailing, and they both know that's how you stop a blackmailer. But she knows he won't do it because he'd take himself down too. To make it go down smoother and sort of make amends, she offers him a job. That's her m.o., and that's just what she does with Ellen, too, twice - at the settlement celebration and on the dock. There's just been nothing to indicate that Patty would have chosen murder to handle the Ellen problem.

My theory is this: Ellen's apartment was bugged. Whoever Patty had listening heard David being killed, and alerted Patty. Pete sent a guy to Patty's apartment to move her somewhere safe. Pete's "It's done" referred to Ellen being set up with a bodyguard. The way it was done was creepy, but the way Patty and Pete do protection tends to be creepy - Gregory got the wrong idea about the man Patty/Pete sent to protect him, too. Patty's freakout in the beach chair had to do with guilt over deaths she feels her machinations have caused - David's on top of Ray's. And the guy(s) at the door that sent Ellen fleeing out the window was Pete, trying to find Ellen and bring her to safety. (I always thought it was interesting the guy at the door didn't break through the chain lock, and if it were the relatively frail Pete, it'd make sense.)

My prediction for this next season is that Ellen starts off working against Patty and once again ends up in over her head, only in the completely opposite way. Whatever it is Patty's done that the Feds are looking at her for, my guess is that Ellen finds out it was for reasons she agrees with - like Patty, Ellen's personal morality has nothing to do with whether something's illegal - only she finds out too late and her "payback" ends up being very bitter to her. The Frobisher subplot, I agree, will be relatively minor and mostly about tying up the loose ends of David's murder - as well as causing Ellen to learn that Patty didn't try to kill her. And then maybe season 3 is about Ellen and Patty finally working with each other rather than one against the other for a change, with Ellen's blossoming complete. Remember, Ellen's a young Patty (which is another point against the theory that Patty's a murderer or almost completely evil). And that, I think, was the reason for Patty's obvious disquiet when Ellen said she regretted what they did - she wasn't afraid that Ellen was going to expose her, she was simply upset that her junior self thought it was wrong. It was something of a morality check for her.