ACTOR: Matthew Rhys

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

137 replies to this topic

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 6:27 AM

Three pictures of Mr. Rhys at the GLAAD Media Awards:

Matthew Rhys accepting the "Best TV Drama" award

Matthew Rhys

Matthew Rhys

Edited by UnfamousLoser, Apr 21, 2007 @ 6:27 AM.

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I'm never posting in the Big Brother board again. Ever. I promise.

Posted Apr 21, 2007 @ 6:40 AM

Ooh nice. Thanks for posting those UnfamousLoser. :)

James4000

James4000

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 4:07 PM

Matthew Rhys is just ridiculously hot and ridiculously talented.

I personally love him, but I have read other forums where they compare his looks to an unattractive, beaker-headed Muppet.

One of the creators of the show indicated that Kevin is a gay man who is not a conventionally attractive pretty-boy. The writers and Rhys may understands this, but it ‘s not certain that Kevin is likewise aware. On the last episode Kitty was listing all of Kevin’s positive qualities to the Senator, such as intelligent, compassionate, sensitive, etc., and it was Kevin who had to chime in with “handsome.” Kitty then added something like, “Ah, yeah, handsome.” It wasn't the first thing that occurred to her.

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 4:29 PM

I think Kevin was kidding about the "handsome" though. Not that he doesn't think he's attractive, but I took that as an example of Kevin's humor more than anything else.

idonmatrix

idonmatrix

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

Three pictures of Mr. Rhys at the GLAAD Media Awards:

Pretty, pretty, pretty. sexy, hot, gorgeous. I think the other two actors who play Walker brothers are good looking in the tradtional sense but for me Matthew is the PRETTY and really the only shallow reason I continue to tune in. He just has that indefinable thing called presence.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 8:16 PM

I personally love him, but I have read other forums where they compare his looks to an unattractive, beaker-headed Muppet.

Not a muppet. Not even close.

Rietro

Rietro

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 8:34 PM

I agree with Lewisfan48, Kevin was just joking. As for Kitty not thinking he's handsome, she pretty much said he was attractive in the Kitchen scene, so I think she knows Kevin's a handsome man. It's just not the first thing you think of when listing your brother's qualities, IMO. And after rereading his comments I don't think that Baitz meant that Matthew Rhys or Kevin are unattractive so much as their not the Jason Lewis/Brad Pitt type of pretty. Which is fine, since those pretty boy types have never done anything for me. Whereas Matthew does a lot of things for me. And to me.

Thank you for that picture, UnfamousLoser [is that a reference to anything? It sounds kind of familiar...]. If that's a muppet, it's the most fuckable muppet EVER.

Edited by Rietro, Apr 22, 2007 @ 8:35 PM.

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 8:37 PM

Thank you for that picture, UnfamousLoser [is that a reference to anything? It sounds kind of familiar...]. If that's a muppet, it's the most fuckable muppet EVER.

LOL! Word.

I've said this before, but what I like about this cast is that they're all attractive people - but they're good-looking in a relatable way. Matthew definitely fits the bill.

jekalNY

jekalNY

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 22, 2007 @ 11:36 PM

If that's a muppet, it's the most fuckable muppet EVER.

Thank you, that made my night. LOL

but what I like about this cast is that they're all attractive people - but they're good-looking in a relatable way.

Exactly. Instead of in the plastic, don't-know-anybody-that-looks-like-that way.

And to continue the viewing pleasure, a few of my pics. This isn't exactly the best shot of him but the accent more than makes up for it. ;) And a full length shot.

silentwilight

silentwilight

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

I think Matthew Rhys is very attractive.
I think he was the most attractive in "The Abduction Club"- and he spoke Italian, which was swoon-worthy :)
Some pics of him from the movie:

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

Edited by silentwilight, Apr 23, 2007 @ 12:21 PM.

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2007 @ 4:33 AM

Ha! Oh that Abduction Club hair. Personally, I found Matthew hottest in "Deathwatch". Dirty!Matthew is super hot. I wish I had caps or something. "Deathwatch" is a free movie on Comcast On Demand if anyone is interested. It's quite good if you like bloody, somewhat-scary films with a not so clear ending. (Which I do)

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:52 AM

If you live in the U.S. and get the cable channel BBC America, they're showing Beau Brummell: This Charming Man on Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 8:00 p.m. Rhys plays Lord Byron.

Edited by UnfamousLoser, Apr 26, 2007 @ 1:52 AM.

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 5:14 AM

Oh, thanks for the information. I've been wanting to see him in that.

Edited by velvetmorning, Apr 26, 2007 @ 5:15 AM.

Rietro

Rietro

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

Thank you! Beau Brummel: This Charming Man looks all kind of awesome. Mostly because it has Matthew and James Purefoy in it, which means that even if it sucks it'll be chock full of the Pretty. I think it'll be good though, or at least between Matthew and James the acting will be. And Lord Byron was a huge man-whore, so there's a good chance the movie'll have nekkid!Matthew.

In other Matthew Rhys news, is anyone else totally psyched for Virgin Territory? I hate Mischa Barton and Hayden Christensen more than I care to explain, but Matthew has a Russian accent which just makes me ridicously happy. Although, I still think the movie's going to suck, but in a fun, mockable way. Like Fantastic Four.

Edit: Now I notice the double post.

Edited by Rietro, Jun 15, 2007 @ 1:41 AM.

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2007 @ 11:47 PM

I loved seeing Kevin The Babysitter.

And, please, more of Kevin/Paige. They were simply delightful together.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Pictures of Matthew and Keira Knightley during filming of Best Times of our Lives.

PureGlam

PureGlam

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2007 @ 2:40 PM

He is definitely good looking in the show!! I love the pictures of him and Kiera, very cute. I'm going to defintely see that movie when it's released into theaters.

Rietro

Rietro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2007 @ 5:20 PM

Thank you somuch for linking those pictures, Mary Ann. I was having a really shitty day, and the Pretty!Smiling!Matthew just made it all better. And the curls are back in all their glory.

And based on all the laughter, it looks things are going pretty well on set so far. Those pictures alone would've have made me want to see it. If I hadn't already, due to Matthew and Cillian Murphy anyway.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2007 @ 11:55 PM

Three more articles about The Best Time of Our Lives (courtesy of inlovewithnight at LiveJournal. Thank you, inlovewithnight):

ICWales: "Stars step out as Dylan film gets under way"

BBC: "Miller and Knightley film in town"

Celebs Planet: "Hey big suspenders! Sienna gets to grips with saucy new role"

Photos ripped from various articles:

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley, Rhys, and crew guy

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley and Rhys

Knightley, Rhys, and crew

Miller and Rhys

Miller and Rhys

Miller and Rhys

Rhys

There's a rumor that there's a scene in The Best Time of Our Lives in which Mr. Rhys is in bed with Keira Knightley and Sienna Miller. Sigh. Poor, poor Matthew. The sacrifices an actor has to make to perfect his craft.

Editing again: This is going to be the longest post ever.

So they're not sure what they're going to call the movie; it's now being called The Edge of Love. New interview Matthew Rhys did from the set: BBC Wales: Matthew Rhys interview.

Wales Tonight: The Edge of Love footage.

Edited by UnfamousLoser, May 16, 2007 @ 4:57 PM.

Rietro

Rietro

Channel Surfer

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 1:56 AM

Really great interview with Matthew here:.

I wonder when he started gaining the two stone [twenty eight pounds] he put on for playing Dlyan? It had to be after they finished filming Three Stories. I'm kind of surprised by that, actually. He doesn't look any different [weight wise] in the on-set pictures that have been all over the net. He looks damn good in all of them, IMO. Of course, he's also been wearing shirts in all of those so it might just be covered up.

In less shallow news, I really find Matthew's passion awesome and it has gotten me really excited for the movie. I was pumped for this movie mostly out of love for the Pretty!factor it was bringing with Matthew and Cillician Murphy, but now I just want to see Matthew's performance. Because even if the rest of the movie sucks, it sounds like he's going to be fabulous. The fact that Dylan Thomas' own daughter thinks he's perfect gives me a lot of faith in his portrayal of the man, though I expected Matthew to do well already based on his previous work.

And even if it is bad [as a title like the Edge of Love would imply], Matthew's going to be really pretty.

Edited by Rietro, May 20, 2007 @ 1:58 AM.

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 2:30 AM

What a wonderful interview. He comes off passionate and so down to earth, I hope he stays that way. I have no doubt he will be great in that film, which actually sounds pretty good despite the cheesetastic title.
Can I just say I'm so relieved Lohan isn't involved anymore. She would have dragged everyone down with her. And I'm going to throw in a blushing Woot! for this: "and in fact the only naked body to be seen is that of Rhys" :D
But again, great interview and thanks for sharing Rietro.

epstein

epstein

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2007 @ 10:44 AM

Great interview, thanks for posting.

I wonder when he started gaining the two stone [twenty eight pounds] he put on for playing Dlyan? It had to be after they finished filming Three Stories. I'm kind of surprised by that, actually.

And it's nice to know that I'm not imagining things. I noticed in that early scene in Grapes of Wrath where Kitty is trying to pawn the cake off on Kevin, that his face looked a bit fat. I thought it was just a bad camera angle. [And I also thought his hair was odd, but I had since figured out that he'd started growing it out for the movie.]

I think Matthew is a wonderful actor, with great presence.

monopoly19

monopoly19

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2007 @ 8:59 AM

So cute!

duckgirlie

duckgirlie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 24, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

He's so great...

I saw him when he played Romeo for the Royal Shakespeare Company. Tights and a sword, what more can I say?

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 3:05 AM

Don't forget the Matthew fro!

Only Romeo & Juliet picture I have

Very handsome.

AllAboutMBTV

AllAboutMBTV

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

Anyone else see M. Rhys as a rather debauched Lord Byron (threeway included! woo!) in "Beau Brummell: That Charming Man" on The Robin Hood Network, I mean, BBC America? It's an odd, not-uninteresting little movie that feels like it was hacked down from three hours to one (90 minutes with all the Oxy-Clean commercials), but for lovers of male pulchritude you get Rhys and -- butt bonus!! -- James (Marc Anthony) Purefoy as Brummell. Read more here.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2007 @ 4:24 AM

I liked how they didn't shy away from the implied bisexuality. When Beau Brummell (James Purefoy) sees Lord Byron (Matthew Rhys) for the first time, he said, "Who is that beautiful boy?" Which is pretty much what I would say if I met Rhys.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 1:37 AM

During Kevin's scenes in the latest repeat ("Date Night"), I could only think of what flawless skin Matthew Rhys possesses. They put him in so much makeup, I didn't quite realize how beautiful he is.

He also has this knack for transitioning from one emotional state to the next, even multiple emotions simultaneously, without batting an eye. Is this something you get from intense theater training? Someone once said about Joan Crawford that if you asked her to show betrayal, she would give an entire presentation on the life of Benedict Arnold. You can never see the effort with Matthew. Maybe that's why he doesn't get more notice. Usually, actors only find recognition if they're all about LOOK AT ME, I'M ACTING!

Edited by MarkC99, Jun 4, 2007 @ 1:39 AM.

Rietro

Rietro

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 11:04 PM

Mostly pretty new pictures of Matthew here!

And even though the last three aren't my favorite, it's okay. Because he was pictured with Ioan! Not touching, but still. My day is complete and full of Pretty. Those two are the best TV/Movie boyfriends ever.

Edited by Rietro, Jun 6, 2007 @ 11:05 PM.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2007 @ 10:25 AM

I can't see the photos. That's Ioan from the Horatio Hornblower movies? I'd forgotten they're friends.

Matthew Rhys has dinner with co-star Sienna Miller. Naturally this leads to tabloid speculation. I like the leather jacket.