Kevin Walker: Lawyer I'd Like to Debrief

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

206 replies to this topic

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 7:24 PM

Oh, handsome, smart, funny, slightly insecure, but totally yummy Kevin Walker (Matthew Rhys). If only you weren't gay. And, y'know, a fictional character.

Schroeder

Schroeder

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 7:30 PM

What's wrong with him being gay? I love that he's gay. He can have a crappy love life just like the rest of the world.

"I'd like to defrief?" /snerk. Funny.

Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 7:33 PM

You know, UnfamousLoser, there is thing called a sex change operation. :P

But of course that wouldn't do because Kevin is afterall a fictional character. :P

(edit: my grammar sucks)

Edited by Kong Chang, Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:33 PM.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:25 PM

Two photos of Matthew Rhys at the premiere of the movie The TV Set. Rhys's ex-roommate Ioan Gruffudd is in it.

Jeaux35

Jeaux35

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

Matthew is SO hot. That scene with him in just his boxers was like a dream come true. More of that, please! If you've got a major hottie like him, you need to make best use of his assets.

The only thing about him that I would change is his hair. The one-finger cut is too severe for him. His hair should be slightly longer.

As for the character, I am just glad that we have a fully realized gay character on a successful major network show, and every indication that they intend to fully explore all aspects of his life, including his love life.

Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:37 PM

You can totally tell that Matthew, in real life, actually hunked up some because he wasn't this buff before. It really suits him his teddy bear image. :)

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 11:21 PM

This is the clip at YouTube of Matthew Rhys and Ioan Gruffudd speaking Welsh. Rhys's part starts about a minute into the clip. I have no idea what they're saying, but it's sexy.

I've played it an absurd amount of times. There could be a movie called "Matthew Rhys Reads the Cardiff Phone Book Aloud" and I would watch it.

Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 11:24 PM

I believe there was a translation somewhere. They're quoting from a book, I believe it was. But I love the accent and the Welsh language. Reminds me of the old Chaucer English.

velvetmorning

velvetmorning

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I'm never posting in the Big Brother board again. Ever. I promise.

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 1:58 AM

Oh boy! We can discuss Matthew on TWOP now?? My world just got a little bit brighter! :)

monopoly19

monopoly19

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 2:42 AM

I love it when you start watching a tv show becasue you're interested in certain actors but actually keep watching for someone you never knew existed before. That's what Matthew Rhys is for me on B&S. I think he is so unbelievably wonderful in this role.

Can't wait for the Chad arc to end, though.

lupitabumbelina

lupitabumbelina

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 3:21 AM

I'm coming from the exact opposite end of knowing about Matthew Rhys: I've been a fan for years so it's great to hear that he's doing well in "Brothers and Sisters". Unfortunately, we don't get the show here yet in Belgium so I'm relying on you all here to torture me with stories about how wonderful he is (Like, I am going to live on the idea of a buff Matthew Rhys in nothing but boxers for days!)

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 7:47 AM

I had never heard of Matthew Rhys before either. He's been a revelation in the role.

And, yeah, not too bad on the eyes either. (Ahem.)

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 8:45 AM

When I saw TWOP added B&S, my first thought was yeah, now we get a whole thread devoted to Kevin! This is so going to the longest character thread.

monopoly19
, I totally agree. Chad is beautiful but he sucks. And not in a good way. I was so miffed when Kevin threw away a chance to maybe get back with Scotty for stupid Chad. Go away, Chad! Come back, Scotty.

I read in TV Guide that Kevin was originally supposed to have a kid & have been married. I guess that changed when MR was brought in to the show. I am so glad they did not go there. Kevin is flawed but he seems way too self-aware & thoughtful to marry a woman just to prove something.

And does anyone else think Kevin is the only sibling with a tv worthy love life? Calista & Rob Lowe are boring, Sarah & hubby are dull, Justin & the boss were cliche, and Tommy's wife doesn't actually exist does she? I think he hires out that blonde for the occasional family dinner. I'm hoping that if Justin does go back to Afganistan or Iraq, he meets a hot lady solider. But that's another thread.

izzybee

izzybee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 9:13 AM

Love Kevin. Love, love him. For me, it's fun to watch his love life - and the love lives of his sibs - take off..... or unravel. I don't find any of the romances boring, dull or cliche (per the previous poster). But I am especially anxious to meet Kevin's new love.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 10:24 AM

Love that this has gotten it's own forum, well deserved. I plan to post here frequently and Mr Rhys is one gorgeous guy.

Kevin is part of the reason why I love this show a lot!

Edited by darkestboy, Oct 4, 2010 @ 7:02 PM.

Sungal

Sungal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 10:41 AM

Dropping in to say that I love the title. And I can't wait for this week's new episode!

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

I liked that clip...now if only Ioan Grufford leaned over and gave Matthew a nice sloppy wet kiss. That would really make it just so much better.

They did play gay lovers in RG's film, Very Annie Murray. But I don't think they actually showed any Welschman-on-Welschman action there.

So what do y'all think about that overall arc that Kevin had with Chad?

Personally, I agree that it made him look stupid. However, I think he was also necessary to get him closer to where he wants to go in a relationship.

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 1:35 PM

Since there are so very few gay characters on primetime network TV, particularly ones that aren't punchlines, I'm fine with the "Kevin dates a closeted guy and learns a lesson" storyline. They probably had to go there. But my problem is it's gone on for too long. Kevin's a smart guy; I would have expected his "Chad's hot but he's treating me like a whore and I deserve better" revelation to have happened by now.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 3:09 PM

But aren't gay men, especially of Kevin's generation, a little bit retarded emotionally when it comes to relationsips? Since they don't get to date in high school, and alot of men are still in the processing of coming out in their early/mid 20's, they don't have that kind of dating experience that heterosexual counterparts would have at 34...ergo, he's more emotionally around college age when it comes to relationships.

Lewisfan48

Lewisfan48

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 3:34 PM

Since they don't get to date in high school, and alot of men are still in the processing of coming out in their early/mid 20's, they don't have that kind of dating experience that heterosexual counterparts would have at 34...ergo, he's more emotionally around college age when it comes to relationships.

Not to mention he's a gay man of that generation who went to law school and spent 8+ years working his ass off to make partner at an LA law firm. I have no trouble seeing how he'd have neglected developing his personal life before now.

Schroeder

Schroeder

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 4:41 PM

But didn't Kevin himself say that Kitty forced him out either his junior or senior year?

I get that he might not have dated guys in high school, but being openly gay since around 16, 17 or 18 should have helped him a bit. Unless he's always had self-esteem issues, which I'm not sure from where they stem.

pinkbird

pinkbird

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 5:14 PM

Unless he's always had self-esteem issues, which I'm not sure from where they stem.

Could be from being #4 of 5 children, especially if he was more studious than jock. With an eldest sister like Sarah who ended up at Wharton, I think there's plenty of room for self-esteem problems.

Edited by pinkbird, Mar 31, 2007 @ 5:14 PM.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 7:23 PM

I get that he might not have dated guys in high school, but being openly gay since around 16, 17 or 18 should have helped him a bit. Unless he's always had self-esteem issues, which I'm not sure from where they stem.

From what I understand, he was openly gay to his family, not to the entire world during that time. And when he and Kitty was talking about growing up and coming out, I got the feeling that he was way embarrassed that his family knew so early, and would have wanted to stay in the closet than be subjected to that much scrutiny from his family, much less the outside world.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

And when he and Kitty was talking about growing up and coming out, I got the feeling that he was way embarrassed that his family knew so early, and would have wanted to stay in the closet than be subjected to that much scrutiny from his family, much less the outside world.

I got the impression that Kevin didn't exactly want to stay in the closet but just didn't really want to talk about it. I know that's a tiny difference but the former implies shame and latter a need for privacy. Kevin just seems very private & reserved -- but not at all ashamed about who he is.

I'm curious to see what happens (if anything) with the Senator's gay brother. As for Chad, I think I expressed my feelings earlier. But yeah, I mainly object cause I think Kevin's been looking foolish. It doesn't affect my Kevin love but I'm ready for a new chapter in Kevin's life.

quentin312002

quentin312002

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 9:27 PM

I think if we knew what Kevin's relationship with William was like before and after coming out it would probably tell us a lot about how Kevin saw himself. I mean we saw how William praised Sarah infront of people all the time because of her accomplishments, and obviously he didn't think Kevin was a slouch as a lawyer or he wouldn't have made him a company lawyer. And William was more conservative than Nora. I wonder if Kevin had 'best little boy in the world' syndrome growing up.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 9:35 PM

Tommy seems like the one most impacted by their father -- as if he never measured up. Kevin seems like a typical "middle" who didn't depend as much on parental approval/disapproval.

cmstevens

cmstevens

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 9:35 PM

obviously he didn't think Kevin was a slouch as a lawyer or he wouldn't have made him a company lawyer.

Not to mention selecting him to be executor of his estate. He could have chosen someone else since Kevin was available for legal assistance. He must have trusted him and held him in some esteem.

I would like to see some Kevin/Dad backstory.

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2007 @ 12:46 AM

I got the impression that Kevin didn't exactly want to stay in the closet but just didn't really want to talk about it. I know that's a tiny difference but the former implies shame and latter a need for privacy. Kevin just seems very private & reserved -- but not at all ashamed about who he is.

I said Kevin seemed embarrassed, not ashamed. It's semantics, I know, but my point was what teenager wants his parents to know that he's interested/thinking about sex? And then add the weirdness of knowing your parents know you like guys, whatever the acceptance level they may have had in the Walker household. Which was further exacerbated by the fact that you were outed before you were ready.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2007 @ 2:39 AM

I said Kevin seemed embarrassed, not ashamed. It's semantics, I know, but my point was what teenager wants his parents to know that he's interested/thinking about sex?

I have never understood those teenagers who were completly open with their parents about sex -- totally foreign to me. I certainly never talked to my parents, and that wasn't my parents doing. They were perfectly open, willing to talk, etc., and probably would have liked to. I think most people that age are anxious to establish their own identity, sexually or otherwise, and parents are not seen as a resource but as a millstone.

On Topic: I love Kevin, mostly because he's a real, mutidimentional character. I remember on Six Feet Under, when Nate first discovered that his brother David was gay: "wow, that makes him a lot more interesting!" as if before he was just chopped liver. But Kevin is interesting way beyond his sexuality.

Edited by Zzingerific, Apr 2, 2007 @ 4:32 AM.

fadooski

fadooski

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

I think that in Kevin's case he just hated not having control of his coming out process vis-vis his family. We've seen how the Walker clan turns into a swarm of bees when they get together. He probably just resents that he couldn't come out to them one at a time when he was ready and figured out what it meant to him. Instead, Kitty spilled the beans and the (albeit loveable) swarm descended.

Kevin's relationship with Chad does very little for me. What he had with Scotty was something I could sort of connect to because it had a depth to it. It was about who they were as people. With Chad it's about external stuff. He's an actor, he's closted he's 'beautiful' etc. I'm just waiting for the relationship to end and for kevin to meet someone more interesting.