Justin Walker: He may be the youngest, but he isn't the baby

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

38 replies to this topic

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 6:52 PM

(Played by the hot Dave Annable) More often then not, Justin acts more mature than his older siblings. While they are fighting over who told/knew about Rebecca, he goes over to meet her. When Paige needed her shot, Justin steps up and does it (thanks to his medic training). He is facing his drug abuse and being called back to the war like a man. He was even mature to realize that he couldn't be in a relationship after all (although his Valentines talk at the table was swoon worthy). I can't wait to see where is character goes.

Edit: I had forgotten Sarah's daughter is Paige.

Edited by moemac, Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:16 PM.

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 6:56 PM

My favorite moment was Justin going to talk to Rebecca.That was an 'awwww' moment for me. But I think the moment that really made me like him was his realizing that he is not ready for a relationship. That definitely showed maturity.

Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 6:56 PM

Once Justin comes back from Iraq war, he should really go back to pre-med and finish his schooling. I would love to see his character mature over time and yet still be tormented by his past in the war.

RianD

RianD

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 7:28 PM

Was he in college for Pre-Med before his first war stint? I know he dropped out (was kicked out?) of college, but I never knew what for...

I think MoeMac is on target that as of late, he really has been one of the more responsible, even-headed Walker kids. Maybe because he knows what it's like to be "on the outs" and struggling to get somewhere, he just seems more tolerant than the rest of them. Esp. in regard to Rebecca--he knows what it's like to have the Walker Clan look at you as the "black sheep" and fave their sielnt judgement. So it makes oodles of sense that he's been the most embracing of all of them.

Fave moment was the insulin shot with Paige. At that point in the season, he seemed like a perpetual screw-up, and to see him take charge, when everyone else was either jsut standing there or freaking out, was such an "Ah-Ha, look what he's capable of doing" sort of revelation. He's good with those kids in general.

pinkbird

pinkbird

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 8:39 PM

Justin seems a natural to become a paramedic -- level headed in a crisis, already has some of the training, no college degree required. And who wouldn't want Dave Annable to rescue them?

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

I bet he'd be good at mouth–to–mouth resuscitation. I volunteer to find out.

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 8:54 PM

Justin seems a natural to become a paramedic -- level headed in a crisis, already has some of the training, no college degree required. And who wouldn't want Dave Annable to rescue them?

I'm feeling light headed. I think I need an ambulance. ;)

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:09 PM

Hey, perhaps Justin gets an internship at a L.A. hospital/clinic where a certain red-headed neo-natal surgeon/certified OB-GYN from Seattle has just arrived. Gee, I wonder if Dave Annable knows anyone in the cast of that spin-off...

UnfamousLoser

UnfamousLoser

Fanatic

• Interests:Twilight Zone, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Monty Python's Flying Circus, It's Garry Shandling's Show, My So-Called Life, Oz, Henry VIII, The Soup, Best Week Ever, The Staircase, White Collar

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

Heh. He and Ms. Walsh are ridiculously pretty together.

Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2007 @ 10:36 PM

I bet he'd be good at mouth–to–mouth resuscitation. I volunteer to find out.

Get in line. :P

He's just awesome in general...both in and out of character. :)

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

Justin's best display of "last-born angst" had to have been the rehab episode. The way in which the siblings all spilled their problems to the "baby" is pretty much how it works in real-life in a big family. Older siblings don't mind(at all) in pairing off with each other against the younger ones, but when it comes to telling secrets or personal stuff, they usual prefer confiding in the youngest. I think part of it was that now that the percieved problem with Justin has been "tamed", so to speak, they now went back to thinking that their own problems were *so* much more mature and adult and worthy of attention, which is how older siblings usually think because of the fact that they hit adulthood(with all the accompanying adult problems) before the baby does, therefore they can spill all of their problems because what else does the baby have to do?

I think part of why Justin is excited about having Rebecca around is that he FINALLY gets someone to boss around...or so he thinks. lol

moemac

moemac

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2007 @ 6:07 PM

I must say, I loved seeing Justin act like an older brother. I bet that doesn't happen very often.

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 2, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

I agree; I enjoyed how he defended her against Tommy ("She's turned out fine!") and Sarah (The job interview comment was spot-on). But the best interaction was those looks he kept shooting at Kevin the whole meal.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Apr 3, 2007 @ 11:03 PM

Justin discovering his role as Rebecca's big brother, instead of being the youngest, has been great. I love seeing his protective side. Justin is my favorite character and I think this is a great development for him. I can't wait to see next week's episode.

Vixen77

Vixen77

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

I think Justin really showed the way he fits as a Walker in the family day rehab episode. He comented that the family fights and just excludes him as the baby. The only one that ever made him feel like a worthy sibling of the same treatment was Tommy. In turn Justin sees Rebecca as someone who will be treated differently from the rest of the family. Not like the baby but instead as an outsider which is how he sometimes feels more often then not.

RianD

RianD

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2007 @ 4:54 PM

"Outsider" is perfect--I think he did always feel like the odd man out. Didn't Julia (in one of her rare lines) in the pilot make a comment how they had Justin under the "Walker Stare" or something as such, implying they always had him on the watch, at a distance to watch his behavior? I think all that treetment had a lot to do with forming his personality as thinking of himself as the "bad seed" and a "screw-up" and perpetually on the outs.

I really like an episode next year featuring flashbacks of all the kids interacting with Dead! William. All their dynamics with him so formed who they are today and how they view themselves now, I want to see it play out.
In Justin's case, I think that his dad's death "freed" him a bit; allowed him to make a mistake, screw up, then learn from it. Somehow, I can't see Dead! William embracing the fact of sending Justin to rehab, but rather, trying to "fix" Justin himself w/ a new job and heaps of criticism. Free from Dead! William's control (and free from the thought that his dad was some perfect humna being)I think has allowed Justin to blossom, slowly but surely.

DaisyBuchanan

DaisyBuchanan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 9:29 PM

See, I think a lot of Justin's issues stem from Nora. That moment where Justin overhears her talking to Dead! William about not having the same abilities and strengths he had when he went to war--that hurt Justin. She always coddled him, made excuses for him (even to Dead! William) and undermined his confidence by making allownaces for him and not giving him tought love; expecting the worst of him, then telling him "that was okay." She's as guilty as William of helping feed Justin's view of himself as a permanent "screw-up," as you say.

amikaro

amikaro

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 2:40 AM

I just wanted to add that I think it's very realistic that Justin would jump at the chance of playing the "big brother"-role. I have three much older half-siblings, when I was born the youngest of them was 17. My parents told me that he was very enthusiastic about me and about the fact that finally he was not the youngest anymore - he was someone's older sibling now too, after being his brother's and his sister's "baby" all his life! It's fun to see this portrayed on the show, eventhough the age difference is much smaller between Justin and Rebecca (which of course makes it much easier for them to develop a real relationship).

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2007 @ 6:29 PM

She always coddled him, made excuses for him (even to Dead! William) and undermined his confidence by making allowances for him and not giving him tough love; expecting the worst of him, then telling him "that was okay."

Getting coddled like that definitely makes you feel less confident about yourself and what you can do, because you can always just get the 'rents or some older sibling to help if you can't figure it out. That moment in last night's episode where Nora just zeroed in on the fact that Justin had a black eye just kinda reiterates how Nora still sees Justin as her precious baby that can't handle things for himself. (Of course, he has made a mess of his life, but the coddling still doesn't help.) I think alot of last-borns can relate to what it feels like when you're given the double-edged sword of being the youngest- on one hand, you get spoiled and get away with stuff that other sibs wouldn't have dreamed of doing, but on the other, the constant mothering/pampering can be really smothering and a serious cramp in someone's development as an adult.

I just wanted to add that I think it's very realistic that Justin would jump at the chance of playing the "big brother"-role

When you get that line, "I'm older and I know better" growing up, it's definitely something you'd jump at...finally having the chance to be the big sib for once. I did like how Rebecca pretty much just shot that down, though.

viftrup

viftrup

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 2, 2007 @ 2:59 PM

am I the only one, who hopes, that he wounds up dead, when he goes back to Afghanistan?

Dude is seriously annoying...

hypertwink

hypertwink

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2007 @ 4:08 PM

I love you, Justin but sweetie, you've been totally snowed and drop the self-righteous act, it's not flattering.

MarkC99

MarkC99

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 3:59 AM

This repeat of the pilot was my first glimpse at the non-serious Justin, the out of control mess with the substance abuse problems.

As awful as it is to say, I think I preferred this Justin. He's very endearing as a loveable screw-up, and I like the juxtaposition of his siblings feeling so superior to them until he reminds them all he went through to Afghanistan, which they never experienced.

Dave Annable is so skinny, but I couldn't get over those abs he had when he stripped down to his boxers in the kitchen.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2007 @ 7:25 AM

Dave Annable is so skinny, but I couldn't get over those abs he had when he stripped down to his boxers in the kitchen.

ITA, and then some. Although the look he got from his siblings was hilarious.

oufti

oufti

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 7:51 AM

I never have thought I would like this show. But after 7 episodes, I'm in love.

My favourite character is Justin. I'm the youngest of my familly with 5 children so I kind of relate to him easily.
Hopefully I never had the kind of problems/behaviours Justin had (my brother sort of did) but I can totally understand the bond between him and the others (still, I've only watched seven episodes) or maybe I can see some ressemblances between the others and my own brother and sisters LOL.

My favourite moments (ep1 till 7), when he learned his father cut him of his will and when he "rescued" Paige.

LM28

LM28

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 6, 2007 @ 2:05 AM

I never really got what kind of relationship Justin had with his father, in the first episode when William was still around, he was so mean to poor Justin. But in the second episode Nora said something like: "Your father loved you more than anything on earth.", "anything" would also include the other children. But maybe she just said that to calm him down.

Cesstar

Cesstar

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 7, 2007 @ 2:04 AM

But in the second episode Nora said something like: "Your father loved you more than anything on earth.", "anything" would also include the other children. But maybe she just said that to calm him down.

I think you're right LM28 that she said that just to come him down. I think she was trying to convince him also that his father did love him despite the restrictions he placed on Justin's inheritance.

It would be interesting to know what kind of relationship Justin had with his father. So far, we've probably had the most information regarding Kitty and Tommy's relationship with him. All we really know is that they used to go surfing together, and also that William was supportive of Justin's decision to enlist. If I had to speculate, I would suggest that Justin made William feel young and adventurous again and they shared a playful but not terribly deep connection. Totally projecting here though! I think that William also worried about Justin's apparent lack of direction in his life and that is why he supported his move into the military. I think he recognised that in many ways, it would be good for Justin.

AllieM

AllieM

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 12:21 AM

It would be interesting to know what kind of relationship Justin had with his father.

It would... I have some ideas, though I suspect my interpretation of it might be a little different from many other people's! I think one of the reasons that Justin annoys me is that, like Kitty, he comes off as being rather spoilt, somehow, in ways that the other siblings don't. It may just be something in the actors' performance styles getting to me, but it's something I've felt right from the first episode. I suspect that Justin and Kitty were Papa's pets--especially as a kid, in Justin's case--and that that was part of the reason William seemed so angry at his various stupidities.

LM28

LM28

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 15, 2007 @ 2:17 AM

I agree that Justin seems rather spoilt, but I got the impression that this is more because of Nora than because of William. He's definetly Mama's pet.

SeaHawk

SeaHawk

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 10, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

I think Justin and Kitty come off as spoiled because they are the two highest-maintenance children in the Walker clan.

William did give Justin a lot of attention -- because Justin came along later in William's life and career, William had more time for him than the others.

LM28

LM28

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

I hate thah Justin's on drugs again. He's such a sweetie when he's sober.