jophan

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 5:16 PM

Starts June 28 The Futon Critic

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2007 @ 11:51 PM

I just saw the tail-end of a promo for this show and started squeeing like a little girl when I saw Jeffrey Donovan. I haven't been following his career as closely as I used to, but I did know he was going to be in a new USA series and then I forgot about it, so I was a little surprised to see him. I never watched The Equalizer, so the premise of this show is new to me. It sounds pretty interesting and I'm excited about it. If this show is any good, I just hope USA doesn't screw over Jeffrey and the viewers yet again by cancelling it too soon. Yeah, I'm still bitter about Touching Evil.

Anyway, here's a description from Zap2it.com:

On Thursday, June 28 is the debut of "Burn Notice," starring Jeffrey Donovan. The series revolves around secret agent Michael Weston (Donovan) who gets the titular burn notice, which is how a spy gets fired and taken out of the game. Unfortunately, Weston has no idea why he's suddenly an untouchable, and trying to get to the bottom of the mystery is rather difficult and dangerous without being able to use his previous resources and contacts. Gabrielle Anwar, Bruce Campbell and Sharon Gless also star.

topdeck

topdeck

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2007 @ 12:42 AM

Did someone utter the magical words "Bruce Campbell"?

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 1:18 AM

The USA website finally has the show's page up. Not much there, but there is a small description of the show and a very brief clip.

BrainyBlonde

BrainyBlonde

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

Count me in. I loved Jeffrey on Touching Evil and was totally bummed about its too-early demise. The premise of this new series is intriguing and it looks like it will be a great showcase for Jeffrey and his sarcastic intensity. Wonderful supporting cast, too!

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted May 28, 2007 @ 7:47 PM

Count me in to watch Burn Notice. I'm also a former TE fan who was po'd when the show was canceled. I hope this does well enough to get the entire run.

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

I just saw the promo tonight during The Starter Wife, and went to the USA site to check. Jeffrey Donovan and Bruce Campbell!? Whee! Another former TE fan, hoping this time USA will pony up and promote Donovan's show. Maybe we can get some Psych/Burn Notice promos this time.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 10:50 PM

Here is a little interview with the show's writer/exec. producer. He talks a bit about Jeffrey's character and how Miami was chosen as the show's location. I'm really glad USA put the kibosh on setting this thing in Newark.

JulesP

JulesP

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2007 @ 1:25 AM

Does anyone know the name of that song they're playing in the commercials? (Not the one on the USA site, but the one that played the first time during the Starter Wife.) It's on the tip of my tongue, but it's driving me crazy that I can't figure it out.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2007 @ 1:31 AM

It's "Connected" by Stereo MC's.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2007 @ 2:16 AM

Love Jeffery Donovan! Love Touching Evil! I hope this last too. USA hasn't been very good to this guy.

JulesP

JulesP

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2007 @ 1:48 PM

Thank you Nikki125, that was driving me crazy. This show has enough to at least interest me in watching the first episode. If it doesn't wow me, I'm out.

Lizrd

Lizrd

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 2, 2007 @ 4:21 PM

Wow, Princess Beef Jerky is busy these days, neh?

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 11:44 PM

Here is a favorable review from The Connecticut Post (about halfway down).

janeway452

janeway452

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 2:52 AM

Looking forward to Burn Notice and Jeffrey Donavan. Loved him in TE! For years now I've been thinking someone ought to resurrect The Equalizer...this looks like it's pretty close.

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 9:16 PM

The official site has a little more information now. He looks amazing, btw. Hee. I can't wait.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 12:38 AM

Yes, he does look amazing. That tan suit and those shades. Very nice. Actually, there are quite a few nice photos up now. It's crazy how excited I am getting about this show. So excited in fact, that I signed up for the newsletter. Oh, Jeffrey, the things you make me do. But really, I am glad that this show actually looks pretty good and I won't be tuning in just for JD.

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 2:57 PM

I'm not the only one? YAY. I signed up for it immediately. I keep going to the site to watch the trailer. I can't wait.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2007 @ 3:50 PM

USA has a bunch of outdoor ads running in Manhattan right now. (Yeah, actual marketing support!) I think they're a rehash of James Bond ads circa the Brosnan years, but unlike the old Touching Evil posters, at least they're clearly about a TV show. And they don't look too airbrushed and plasticky like those things can be. Like others have already mentioned, Donovan's blue shirt/tan suit combo is also ~swoon~ worthy.

Between Campbell & Donovan, I expect a lot of well delivered snark/camp and the bar may be set too high by their past work. I still giggle whenever someone mentions Touching Evil because I always think back to when our version of Creegan said "Yeah, I'm an exotic dancer. G-man by day....g-string by night." Totally could have fallen flat but Donovan can really work an off-kilter line.

Let's hope this show finally gets him off the Should-Be-Famous list.

Edited to add link

Edited by halo_pub, Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:23 PM.

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

I always think back to when our version of Creegan said "Yeah, I'm an exotic dancer. G-man by day....g-string by night." Totally could have fallen flat but Donovan can really work an off-kilter line.

That was one of the best lines in the series and when he capped it off with a little hip shake. Hee! Yeah, I still miss that show.

I'm really excited about this *hopes, hopes, HOPES it's a huge success*. The site has been updated with videos from Bruce Campbell, and another ad called "Dating a Spy".

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 5:30 PM

I, for one, am looking forward to cable's summer season. Psych, The Closer, The 4400, Army Wives and now this. L, to the O, to the V, to the E. I love Mr Donovan! We were all gypped when USA cancelled TE.
The Psych/Burn Notice combo is a no brainer!!!

mellen

mellen

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 7:36 PM

Count me in. I loved Jeffrey on Touching Evil and was totally bummed about its too-early demise.

I'll drink to that. I love Jeffrey. Didn't like him so much in the movie "Sleepers". One of my fave movies, but he played a bad bad man.

This show looks great. Bruce Campbel, Jeffrery Donovan. Good Lord! Even Sharon Gless. Another familiar face. Cool.

Plus, we needed a cool show for the summer. Rescue Me, and 4400 are back, so, summer aint lookin so bad.

Edited by mellen, Jun 13, 2007 @ 7:38 PM.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2007 @ 9:02 PM

Jeffrey Donovan is fucking hot. I'd watch him pick up trash all day or read a phone book. I cannot wait until next week!!!

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2007 @ 1:59 AM

I'd watch him pick up trash all day or read a phone book.

I actually sat through an episode of Law and Order recently just to see Jeff. Watching him pick up trash or reading a phone book would have been preferable. I really don't know why that show is still on the air.

Let's hope this show finally gets him off the Should-Be-Famous list.

After TE ended, I hoped that Jeff would get another series or some good film roles. The guy has leading man written all over him and he just leaps off the screen. He deserves to have a big career. Hopefully this show will lead to better things for him. I was glad when I heard that he got another series because I would hate it if he had to spend his career doing TV guest shots or films that go directly to DVD.

Anyway, I'm happy that most of the reviews I've read have been favorable. Here is another one from Variety, but this reviewer at Scripps News has a problem with the voiceovers (bottom of the page).

Edited by Nikki125, Jun 21, 2007 @ 2:09 AM.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2007 @ 11:35 PM

Glad to see that critics are generally responding well.

Today's Entertainment Weekly also has a positive review (shirtless pic alert).

Gillian Flynn actually loves the narration. And her description of Westen as a slightly "glibber" version of Creegan piqued my curiousity. Compared to Robson, Jeffrey's take on Creeg was already so snarky and unfiltered. Maybe this implies that Westin has fewer dark, moody self-reflections?

stele3

stele3

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2007 @ 5:52 PM

HOW have I not found out about this show before today???

Oh, Jeffrey. Jeffrey, Jeff, Jeffrey. I will follow you into the sun's core. Hell, I watched a "Crossing Jordan" episode for you. *shudders* (apologies to any CJ fans; not my cup 'o tea)

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2007 @ 6:27 PM

Today's Entertainment Weekly also has a positive review (shirtless pic alert).

In the same review, it says Gabrielle Anwar's character is ex-IRA. Does anybody know if she's capable of a believable Irish accent? Or is this another David Boreanaz situation?

snuffles

snuffles

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2007 @ 6:38 PM

Did JD play the killer astronaut on "Monk"?
He is really cute, I cannot wait to watch the show.

halo_pub

halo_pub

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2007 @ 7:41 PM

Yep, he was the murderous astronaut.

Not sure if Anwar can pull off an Irish accent, but something about her native English accent sounded weird at the recent tribute to Al Pacino.

stele3, got you beat there. I sat through 3 episodes of Crossing Jordan, hoping his character would actually get to do something besides smirk.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2007 @ 2:28 AM

Gillian Flynn actually loves the narration.

The whole voice over narration is used a lot these days, but I don't really mind them. I actually like them most of the time, especially if it adds to the show and doesn't just state the obvious. And it doesn't hurt when the actor has a great voice and line delivery like Jeff.

And her description of Westen as a slightly "glibber" version of Creegan piqued my curiousity. Compared to Robson, Jeffrey's take on Creeg was already so snarky and unfiltered. Maybe this implies that Westin has fewer dark, moody self-reflections?

I have to admit that when I first saw the promo for BN, my first thought was that this was just a Creegan-redux, but in nice suits, and I was a little worried about that. I guess the comparison is inescapable. As much as I loved Creegan's tortured soul and the overall darkness of TE, I hope and think BN will be much lighter in tone, if the promos are any indication. This show and Westen seem to be a lot more fun, a word I never would use to describe TE, even if there were lighter moments peppered throughout. However, JD does tortured and moody very well, so I hope we get a little of that, especially when hes dealing with the fact that hes blacklisted.