1-18: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" 2007.03.22 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

175 replies to this topic

hideandseek

hideandseek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:00 PM

Best Episode Ever.

whyistherumgone

whyistherumgone

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:04 PM

MUCH better than last week. Although, that isn't saying much.

Loved the Daniel/Alexis scenes. Oh how I want Daniel to win one over her. Poor Daniel.

Wil is putting her schemes into overdrive! Rawrrr!

And I loved the Daniel/Betty scenes, as always. America and Eric have such great chemistry. They really lucked out with the casting there.

Not a lot of Henry, and I thank God for that. It's now official: Henry bugs me. He has now crossed that very thin line between cute and creepy. YMMV of course, but I am done with that boy.

kenyaj

kenyaj

Stalker

If Claire owned Mode, why did she let her husband's mistress stay on as editor-in-chief? No matter, because Claire rocks. She just can't go to jail, because I can't bear to lose her from the show -- especially if it means more awesome scenes like that one between Claire and Wilhelmina. Holy crap! I had goosebumps, between Claire's mama bear protectiveness and Wili's stone-cold bitchiness. JL and VW totally brought it. More of that, please!

Nice to see Deputy Leo getting some work after stealing Haaron's sex tape and getting fired from the Neptune Sheriff's Department. Hee! I wonder if Nick will be sticking around for a while?

The Betty/Marc storyline was as entertaining as I hoped it would be when I was inadvertently spoiled about it by the Entertainment Weekly article. I think I scared the neighbors when Marc kissed Betty to prevent her from spilling the beans about his gayosity. The shenanigans at the Suarez residence grew hilarious once Justin showed up. That kid is so awesome. But then I go from laughing my ass off at Justin to being so proud of Marc for being honest with his mother to being absolutely devastated for him following her rejection of him. I love this show's ability to turn emotional corners on a dime.

Mabius broke my heart at the end. *sigh* I'm so unhappy with Alexis right now.

I freaking love this show.

agsquared

agsquared

Loyal Viewer

Did anyone else notice Marc WIENER (spelled that way for correct phonetic pronounciation) and make the Nickelodeon connection?

I think I need to see an episode without any of the Alexis/Wil/Bradford et. al. drama because I dig me some comedy. And also, Wil trying to seduce Bradford and possibly succeeding? Vomit.

Nancee

Nancee

Channel Surfer

I had a post all planned but nothing did it justice.

Best episode ever.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:03 PM

This was definitely my favorite episode. So many great one liners.

Ugh, Alexis broke Daniel! That bitch. And Marc's mom is a bigger bitch.

Yeah it hit me, I'm over Henry. I was looking forward to him not being the episode until he popped up just in time to add more angst. And that whole thing about how he knows her so well. Whatev.

Bradford is a real dog if he takes Wil up on her evil "Becoming a Meade" plan. Go Claire for seeing Wil as she is and not being afraid to call her out.

Not a lot of Henry, and I thank God for that. It's now official: Henry bugs me. He has now crossed that very thin line between cute and creepy. YMMV of course, but I am done with that boy.

Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:05 PM.

LateToTheFiesta

LateToTheFiesta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:12 PM

Good episode. But not enough Amanda!!

PeachesNCream

PeachesNCream

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:15 PM

And I loved the Daniel/Betty scenes, as always. America and Eric have such great chemistry. They really lucked out with the casting there.

So much WORD to both of these points. I'm really starting to dig Daniel/Betty over Henry/Betty now. I thought it was a little sweet that he remembered that stuff about her, but yeah. American and Eric are just awesome together.

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

• Interests:30 Rock, The 4400, Battlestar Galactica, Deadliest Catch, Family Guy, Heroes, Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, The Office, Rome, The Simpsons, Ugly Betty

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

If Claire owned Mode, why did she let her husband's mistress stay on as editor-in-chief?

Did Daniel say when Bradford moved Mode to Claire? Maybe it happened after the way Fey incident. Or, maybe by the time Claire finally had enough she decided to terminate her employment... permanently.

JoeTheBartender

JoeTheBartender

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:14 PM

Fab episode, great one-lines, Patti Lupone was wonderful, in my top 3 of all episodes thus far.

BUT.

I have one minor quibble.

I'm getting a little irked by...well, how do I describe it? Marc saying "but that doesn't mean I like you"? Well, it's come from him, Amanda, et al this season before. And it sucks, for the characters and for the story.

I know Betty and Marc, or Betty and Amanda, are not to be BFF's. But it makes Marc and Amanda look stupid and foolish to bite the hand that helps them.....a simple snark or two would suffice. Betty being nice to someone who says "I don't like you?" Is frakkin' insane. It makes HER look incredibly brain damaged.

But otherwise, all good. I heart Claire Meade/Judith Light!

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

I didn't enjoy this episode nearly as much as the last one. This one was heavier on the drama, and I like it more when they're being silly and funny. To their credit, TPTB do both well.

I was so sad for Marc; I thought his mom would be surprised, but accepting. I wasn't expecting full-blown rejection.

So, what exactly is Wilhemina's plan? Seduce Bradford and get him to divorce Claire? Not likely; she'll just make a fool of herself. At first, I thought she was going to try to get one of the Meades to adopt her or something.

Poor Daniel. Seems like his ego is extremely fragile. He needs to get away from his family and do his own thing for a while. He needs to prove to himself what he can accomplish. I hope Betty sends that letter to Alexis, causing Alexis to feel extreme guilt.

I feel like Henry has reached a critical juncture. So he needs to make a decision, already!

Will Betty be out of a job, again?!

Edited by johchi, Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:28 PM.

hideandseek

hideandseek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:24 PM

"but that doesn't mean I like you"?

I think in Marc's case tonight, that was more of an understanding. He's definitely warmed up to Betty, in a sense, but he just had to add in that little bit of snark because it wouldn't be right if he didn't.

Word to not enough Amanda, but her time on screen was fabulous. LOVED her hissing back at Buttons.

The only thing that bugged about the Marc storyline tonight was that it was completely out of the Will & Grace book.

Giggitty

Giggitty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:31 PM

Did anyone else think that when Alexis ran ahead of Daniel on their way to the printer, she was going to get hit by a bus? I got kind of scared there for a moment.

It was an ok episode. Not the best. Not the worse.

hideandseek

hideandseek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

I know the "Chariots of Fire" scenes are completely cliche, but I can't help but roll over laughing every time it's used.

johchi

johchi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:46 PM

Did anyone else think that when Alexis ran ahead of Daniel on their way to the printer, she was going to get hit by a bus? I got kind of scared there for a moment.

When Daniel stopped, I thought he was actually at the printer's. I thought that Alexis had unknowingly run past the place in her desire to get ahead of Daniel.

LateToTheFiesta

LateToTheFiesta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:52 PM

When Daniel stopped, I thought he was actually at the printer's. I thought that Alexis had unknowingly run past the place in her desire to get ahead of Daniel.

That's funny. That's exactly what I thought too. Wishful thinking I guess...

Edited by LateToTheFiesta, Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:52 PM.

Munchiewoman

Munchiewoman

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:52 PM

I so did.

And then I thought that.

Poor Daniel. Hearing that letter made me cry. He deserves better than that nasty family he has.

And so does Mark. I actually gasped out loud when his mom said she wasn't interested in getting to know him.

Great episode.

Edited by Munchiewoman, Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:16 PM.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 8:57 PM

I have to say that "Will & Grace" did this plot much better, complete with the angle of fake girlfriends.

That's not to say that this episode wasn't full of the usual Ugly Betty goodness; Judith Light and Vanessa Williams sparring in the same scene was TV heaven. I thought we had just the right dose of Henry -- enough to tease the inevitable getting together (and to please those who are so patiently waiting for it), but Henry/Betty didn't overshadow the episode like it did last week.

I must also admit that I didn't see the mom being such a bitch coming; I suppose that's the one thing they did differently from "Will & Grace."

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Really not my favorite episode. In fact, I thought it was something of a mess. I could deal with them re-hashing the old "gay guy has a fake girlfriend to make his mother happy" plotline if they had done anything remotely interesting or different with it. They didn't. And the racing thing toward the end was just stupid. It pretty much sent the ep from "meh" to "not great" for me.

That said, there were a couple of good lines:
"You're just so . . . sparkly!" Heh. Loved that.
"I keep waiting for Mr. Roper to show up!" Double heh.

And did anyone think how excited the fictional Justin would have been could he have actually met Patti LuPone--you know, if she wasn't playing Marc's mother? Yes, these are the trippy thoughts that go through my head.

Am I the only one getting whiplash trying to follow the rationale and machinations of Alexis and Wilhemina from week to week? Seriously, it's starting to become farcical, and not in a good way.

Edited by RhondaGC, Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:07 PM.

hideandseek

hideandseek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

I suppose that's the one thing they did differently from "Will & Grace."

Yeah. Thank God Marc didn't find out he was the son of one of 11 Black brothers.

nycmom

nycmom

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

Okay, I know this show is a fantasy, and I shouldn't get so upset about these things, but holy crap, do these writers have NO idea about how a magazine is produced? Especially something as huge and complicated as Mode? You don't just throw some pages together, and voila, a few hours later you have a magazine. There are so many layers of production and fact-checking and copy editing and bluelines. And the printer is never in New York City! It's usually somewhere like Arkansas. Daniel and Alexis would have to run pretty far for that.

I guess I'm just peeved because this episode didn't have nearly as many yummy one-liners as I'm used to. More Amanda and Justin!

Bulldog

Bulldog

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

I thought it was funny that Betty's ringtone was La Cucaracha.

Do we know the nature of Willi and Alex's relationship pre-surgery? Willi said something tonight about being a mother (to Claire, I think) and it got me to wondering if maybe Alex(is) could be the father of Willi's child.

I like that even though Marc is clearly suppose to be in the "villain" camp, he does show flashes of decency like when he stuck up for the Suarez family against his mother.

Speaking of which, I thought PL fell a little flat tonight. I was expecting more.

dc chick

dc chick

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

Ok...I loved this episode and all of the posts above mine pretty much say why. I just wanted to add a couple of things.

LOVED the wacky hijinks at the Suarez household. I thought it was so cool that they were all in on it ("Just call me Papi" - hee). It was hysterical. I also loved that Marc was completely not going to tell his mother at all and then lost it when she was making fun of the family and especially Justin. His "that little boy" had me a little teary.

Oh and Judith Light is a goddess.

chyde

chyde

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:45 PM

Well, I for one loved this episode. I thought it had a great balance of humor and drama. Michael Urie is one hell of an actor. He can make me hate him, love him and feel sorry for him all in the same episode. (Okay, so I've never really hated him).

I loved the Wili/Claire scene. Wili is so bitchtastic, and Claire is so protective of her family. Two wonderful characters played by two wonderful actresses.

Wilhamina Meade? Nooooooooo! Not quite sure I like the direction this is going...

I loved the whole pretend g/f stuff. I didn't watch Will & Grace, so I wasn't burdened by a comparison. I thought the whole dinner scene was a hoot! But it also had a great seriousness to it. Seeing Marc go to such lengths to hide from his mom made me appreciate the special relationship Hilda and Justin have. She supports him no matter what. He'll never have to worry about her, or the family, accepting him when he inevitably comes out later in life. Just great!

I loved all the scenes between Daniel and Betty. I agree the Eric and America have a great chemistry. And my little Detty heart leapt when he told her he wanted to see the look on her face when she wasn't disapointed in him. Awe! Great mushy scene. But I was a bit pissed at Daniel at the scene in the bar. He's hurting, I know, and I feel bad, but his giving up doesn't just affect him. It will affect Betty as well. He's being a bit selfish considering everything she's done for him.

So as much as I'm tired of the whole they-like-each-other-but-keep-dancing-around-the-bush story between Betty and Henry, I have to say Henry earned some points with me tonight. I just thought it was very cute the way he knew things about her. I don't find it creepy, because I'm sure he learned it all honestly (I'm sure Betty told him all this), and he's good with remembering facts. I was very charmed. And I laughed so hard at Marc's "Hey, whose girlfriend is she? Go away!"

What little we did see of Amanda was great! "I'd love to help, I just hope my drug and sex addictions don't get in the way!".

My favorite line of the night was Betty's "What happened, is this a celebration drink, are you buying, can i have a bananna daqueri?" I thought it was too adorable the way it was all rushed together, and the look on her face, just cute...

Marquis

Marquis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:50 PM

I very much enjoyed it. I think Marc's story line veered from the old "gay guy with fake girlfriend" story when he stood up for Justin the way he did. I loved that because he had connected with Justin before during the Xmas shoot and I'm just tickled pink that they brought that back.

Favourite lines:

Alexis: I have bigger dreams than this.
Daniel: What? Getting a uterus?
Alexis: You can say it but can you spell it?

ETA:

I thought it was funny that Betty's ringtone was La Cucaracha.

That reminds me of when Betty and Claire were doing the mud bath thing at the spa, and when Betty's phone rang Claire thought she was back in "that mexican whorehouse". They are so good at the continuity I find, much better than most shows.

Edited by Marquis, Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:52 PM.

Niuxita

Niuxita

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

Was anyone else kinda disappointed that Betty's favourite Disney princess was Cinderella and not Mulan, as Marc said? Hee, I just happen to be writing a paper on just that and Mulan just kicks ass in comparison to Cinderella, who's kind of a pushover. Then again, it probably just speaks of Betty's romantic nature which, aw.

No other show on TV could have me rolling on the floor laughing in one scene (the whole shenanigans at Betty's with the whole house arrest alarm thing and Justin and Marc snarking on Babel was comedy GOLD) and close to tears a few scenes later (Daniel's letter to the editor was so honest and heartfelt and the "Welcome back, Alexis" just made me tear up, especially after realizing he wrote that before he knew she'd screwed him up). I freaking LOVE this show.

I actually found the running in slo-mo thing kinda sweet because, for a moment, you forgot that they were racing for the printer (however inaccurate that was) and it was just the two brothers, like old times, and they both seemed to be happy at being back in that moment that was flashbacked earlier by Daniel. I don't know, maybe I'm just a huge sap.

Holy crap, was Alexis' photo shoot HOT.

When Wili wrote "Meade" over "Slater", I actually thought she was planning on marrying Daniel or, even better, Alexis. I tend to overlook the most logical option. Are we to assume she was successful in seducing Bradford? I'm praying she wasn't because he didn't look like he'd just had sex with the Creative Director in that last scene of his. But hot damn, did Wili look hot in that coat.

And yes, Claire Meade + Wili = some seriously awesome TV. I hope Claire keeps showing up because I'm just loving her more and more with every passing episode.

chumpthreads

chumpthreads

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

Did anyone else think that when Alexis ran ahead of Daniel on their way to the printer, she was going to get hit by a bus?

Yes. Yes I did. And then I was very glad that she wasn't.

I totally loved this episode. One of the best, for sure. I especially like how, gasp, things didn't really work out in the end. This was totally Michael Urie's 'nomination' episode, right? He broke my heart so much. What an actor, what a find.

I adore Alexis and Claire and Willy and all them. Not enough Amanda, but in an episode this jam packed and this good I wouldn't want anything throwing it over the edge.

Also, Lady Buttons of Camelot, hee! And a High School Musical shout out, (of course it's Marc's favorite!), double hee! Plus, the line of the series:
Betty: I keep expecting Mr. Roper to show up.
Totally obvious but so unexpected.

pirouette

pirouette

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

ITA. I figured Henry would tone down his crush on Betty when his girlfriend came to town, but he is still in love and as creepy as ever.

I feel so bad for Marc! But it was nice to see him plummet to a low point and see him get hit where it hurts. He's usually seen making fun of Betty, kissing Wilhemina's ass, or doing something with Amanda... he's not serious often. Not that I don't love that, but it was nice to see him really dejected for a change (although it didn't last long).

druish princess

druish princess

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

I loved the casting decision to have Patty LuPone play that role- I am sure theater geeks are loving the irony.

PetiteReveuse

PetiteReveuse

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 22, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Loved it! I thought this episode was the cat's meow.

Was anyone else kinda disappointed that Betty's favourite Disney princess was Cinderella and not Mulan, as Marc said? Hee, I just happen to be writing a paper on just that and Mulan just kicks ass in comparison to Cinderella, who's kind of a pushover. Then again, it probably just speaks of Betty's romantic nature which, aw.

I have to nitpick this too. I understand Cinderella makes more sense, poor girl turns into a beautiful princess. But c'mon! Who could forget the awesome Ariel sheets?!