Toonami

• Please log in to reply

244 replies to this topic

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Toonami did air late at night.

Meguzmi was the after school block in it's last years.

Leanan

Leanan

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

True, but I see where Last Time Lord is coming from. I don't remember exactly when the Midnight Run began, or when Toonami was shifted over to Saturday nights, but "after school" is what comes to my mind when I think of the block. I remember rushing home to catch Sailor Moon and wanting to rush through my piano lessons so I could watch Gundam Wing in time.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see Toonami will be back. I hope they keep the video game reviews and bring back showing off fanart.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 3:08 PM

I remember watching Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Draonball Z, stuff like that. The good old days.

I cannot believe I just said that.

I remember rushing home to catch Sailor Moon and wanting to rush through my piano lessons so I could watch Gundam Wing in time.

I had similar experiences of this with Soccer Practice and Dragonball Z.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

Sailor Moon got me started on Toonami and viceversa.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:59 PM

I think I understand the logic of the time shift.

The "Toonami Faithful", i.e. us, may have been in school when Toonami first aired, and subject to rules not of our own devising.

But in the 15 years since Toonami began, we've grown up. We make (most of) our own rules now. If we want to stay up all night watching anime, we can and will.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I would certainly have trouble watching new episodes of an afternoon show now. Evening-night is good.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

This just in from a FUNi tweet:

FUNimation We need your help! Let adultswim know you want #PantyandStocking on air. Spread the word and please retweet.

I have no clue if Panty and Stocking has a chance on Toonamified [adult swim], but it will be interesting to see what new shows get added to the lineup. Didn't [as] mention they had acquired two, but they never announced the titles?

The "Toonami Faithful", i.e. us, may have been in school when Toonami first aired, and subject to rules not of our own devising.

But in the 15 years since Toonami began, we've grown up. We make (most of) our own rules now. If we want to stay up all night watching anime, we can and will.

Yeah, the Toonami audience is now the [as] audience. If [as] is going to continue to show the same anime (and it looks like they are for the time being), they can add some new life with Tom's intros and AMVs.

What I'm interested in is if they choose to acquire new anime now that they have everyone's attention.

Domina Nocturna

Domina Nocturna

Couch Potato

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

So, according to Anime News Network, the Toonami lineup isn't being released. You basically have to tune in to see what it is.

Also, that whatever the TV Guide listings says is incorrect.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Just checked the [as] schedule. Unless we're getting yanked around, we'll be receiving Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins.

(watching a tumbleweed roll by)

Huh?!? Does anybody know the deal about those shows?

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:38 PM

From what I understand the schedule for the premiere is supposed to be a surprise like the April Fool's event was.

Casshern also spelled Casshan is a pretty famous series that dates back to 1973 and has spawned several anime series, manga including a live action movie.

Casshern Sins is a 2008 reboot of the series. It debuted back in October on the Funimation Channel in the US.

Wonderland Deadman got released in Japan in 2011 and comes from the people who did Eureka Seven.

Ryan227

Ryan227

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

It's funny because I just watched Casshern Sins last week and I said in the "What are you watching" thread that it would have been a good fit with Adult Swim. It kind of gave me the same feeling as Paranoia Agent, Wolf's Rain and Ghost in the Shell... as in slow but kind of nice and interesting. But I mean even though they showed those shows I didn't think they ever got good ratings for them.

Deadman Wonderland isn't really by the same people as Eureka Seven, the manga is written by the same mangaka but Eureka 7 was an original story by BONES and Deadman Wonderland has nothing to do with them. I've never seen DW but I've heard it's violent and a lot of people like it. Also it's only a 12 episode show so it should be good for the summer.

They wanted the schedule to be a surprised but the higher ups decided not to do that.

Domina Nocturna

Domina Nocturna

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

Another ANN article.

Highlights:

Toonami will not be showing Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and similar titles since "the rights to those shows are owned by our competition or are out of our price range."

They ain't got no damn money.

Former Toonami producer, Jason DeMarco said that he'd love to have One Piece and Gundam Wing back. Also, he'd love to acquire/run Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha: The Final Act.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I liked Deadman Wonderland quite a bit. It's violent, bloody, and dark, with generous helpings of pathos and ass-kicking.

I did a bunch of motivators for it (over in the motivators thread), if you want to see what it looks like.

InternalParadox

InternalParadox

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:06 PM

I watched the entire series of Inuyasha dubbed on Adult Swim. I'd love to watch Inuyasha: The Final Act dubbed on Adult Swim. Is that too much to ask?

I guess they can't get it right now, but at least there's hope! Meanwhile, Casshern Sins (which I don't know anything about--it has giant robots, right?) and Deadman Wonderland (which I stayed away from because I heard it gets weird toward the end) will definitely give [as]/Toonami some fresh air on Saturday nights. I wouldn't have chosen them, but I do want to check them out now.

Is Tiger & Bunny even on their wishlist? It's definitely on mine!

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

Casshern Sins

Casshan was post apocalyptic robots with a android with human consciousnesses fighting them to free humanity from enslavement/destruction to the robots that were initially built to serve mankind. Not exactly giant robots but has lots of robots and death of meat bags.

Casshern Sins the title character is actually well you have to watch why it's talking about his sins. Let say it's dark unlike Casshan.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

Cox listings are now showing Deadman Wonderland at 12:30 and Casshern Sins at 1am. Guess they gave up on keeping the schedule a secret.

Domina Nocturna

Domina Nocturna

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I'm excited. Both shows look like something I'd watch. They're fairly short at 24 and 12 episodes, so I wonder how many replays they're going to get before a) we get sick of it or b) they acquire something else to replace them.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

I saw a thing on Facebook about how they have very little money, and this revival is wholly dependent on good ratings.

Here's hoping it goes well. I would love to see Toonami back on a full time basis.

Bleu

Bleu

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

I'm hoping to love Casshern Sins at least. Haven't yet read up on Deadman Wonderland, but I was planning to look for Casshern Sins.

Sandman87

Sandman87

Fanatic

Posted May 23, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

They're fairly short at 24 and 12 episodes, so I wonder how many replays they're going to get before a) we get sick of it or b) they acquire something else to replace them.

I don't know about Casshern Sins, but Deadman Wonderland left all the necessary elements in place for a sequel, and the manga is ongoing.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:30 AM

Iím just excited that there will be new bumps that might actually acknowledge that weíre watching anime, instead of those horrid bumps theyíve been using forever, let alone get new shows. At this point, closing out my week by watching anime on [as] is an engrained tradition, even if Iíve seen it all umpteen times before. I hope this works for them.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

It works if people will tune in to watch rather then freaking torrent it.

olvidado

olvidado

Fanatic

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

At this point, closing out my week by watching anime on [as] is an engrained tradition, even if Iíve seen it all umpteen times before. I hope this works for them.

It works if people will tune in to watch rather then freaking torrent it.

I can't imagine not watching.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 26, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

Did they get Steve Blum back for Tom? I think it sounded like him, but I wasn't sure.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:05 AM

Until somebody sets up a thread for Deadman Wonderland, I'll post my [brief] first impression here: holy shitsnacks, that was friggin' depressing. "I got an idea! Let take Shinji from Evangelion, put him in DC Comics' short-lived Hard Time, make things fifty times more bleak . . . and just for kicks, lets put it in a giant amusement park! Maybe Cartoon Network will pick this up and pair it with Superjail!"

Still convinced One Piece would've made a good addition. Maybe a second Toonami block on Friday nights?

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

There is no more "What The Fuck?"s left in the world. Deadman wonderland has used them all.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

Lantern 7: Is it possible for something to be more depressing than Evangelion?

Last Time Lord: Perfect one sentence description of Deadman Wonderland. I am willing to give it time but damn, this show makes "Death Note" look like "Hamtaro."

I hope Toonami sustains good ratings, then perhaps we will have more new programming? I saw "One Piece" on 4Kids TV many years ago and it sucked on that programming block. I bet if Toonami got the show, I will like it a lot better.

(Yeah yeah I know....4Kids. That was before I could afford cable.)

Edited by ninjawirehead, May 27, 2012 @ 12:23 AM.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

I just made a thread for Deadman Wonderland.

And I used ninjawirehead's description in the thread title. Hope you don't mind. It was too perfect not to use.

ninjawirehead

ninjawirehead

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

No problems Last Time Lord.

I enjoyed the opening episode of "Casshern Sins." That little Ringo character was just so adorable! I think I liked Casshern a little bit more that Deadman Wonderland. But it is only the first episodes. I wasn't a monster fan of "Darker than Black" until the 6th episode, now it is one of my favorite animes of all time. Interesting choices for new Toonami block. Let's hope the ratings means that Toonami will stick around.

I think that is Steven Blum voicing Tom again. Or someone that sounds a heck of a lot like him.

Last Time Lord

Last Time Lord

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

Casshern Sins was written by Yasuko Kobayashi, who is my favorite Japanese writer, though I'm more familiar with her Tokusatsu works. If she writes her anime like she does her Toku, expect to see her name in the credits a lot.

Her past few Toku series:

Kamen Rider Den-O: Aired Jan '07 - Jan '08. Wrote 45 of the 49 episodes

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Aired Feb '09 - Feb '10. Wrote 42 of the 49 episodes

Kamen Rider OOO: Aired Sept '10 - Sept '11. Wrote 38 of the 48 episodes

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters: Current series, will air Feb '12 - Feb '13. 14 episodes have aired so far, wrote 11 of them.

[/Fanboy]