Toonami

• Please log in to reply

244 replies to this topic

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2007 @ 5:51 PM

Tonight's the tenth anniversary of everyone's favorite action block. In celebration of this most auspicious event, I decided to start a new thread. I myself am not particularly looking forward to the new look they will unveil, but in the end, change is always good--at least it is when dealing with Toonami. The current look IS getting pretty old, I just hope that TOM is still somehow involved. Here's to another ten happy years.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2007 @ 7:22 PM

Nope, not TOM that I've seen, but a tiny little floaty guy who sounds like Billy West. It's a shame if this isn't a new version of TOM. I'll miss him, and David Lucas/Stephen J. Blum's voice work.

ETA: There is a new TOM, although he looks really lame. Dorky, actually. Lucas's voice doesn't go with that face. The Billy West-sounding guy must be a helper.

Edited by the fresh maker, Mar 17, 2007 @ 8:06 PM.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2007 @ 10:18 PM

Tom is like Optimus Prime...he should never have a mouth. And what's with the new support staff?

Toonami memory from the top of my head: Tom puzzling over the clip from Hamtaro. There's the little hamster doing a little dance, and Tom's all, "Uh...huuuuh."

Wiki link. Damn, some of the shows take me back, man.

Pat Agonia

Pat Agonia

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2007 @ 10:44 PM

Hamtaro would have been right at home on Miguzi.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2007 @ 10:46 PM

Moltar! I knew Tom wasn't the first host, and have been wracking my brain to remember who it was.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 12:22 AM

How could you not remember Moltar? Moltar was freakin' awesome!

But man, those sound clips that were playing over that random crap really took me back. Its been a while since I heard dub Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon. Man, I really wish it could be 1998 all over again. I wish Toonami was back on weekdays.

The new Tom design sucks. A lot. Where's Sarah? Instead of a new design, I would like to have seen an updated version of Moltar. Gah! There's so much to complain about, I don't have enough venom and no one would be able to read it all.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 12:35 AM

TOM 4 is such a butterface. Or butthisface.

SugarcultAddict

SugarcultAddict

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 12:47 AM

What the hell did they do to TOM! *Cries* It's like TOM fell into Happy Sunny Bizarro world, Bring back TOM2!!!

MSkyDragons

MSkyDragons

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 12:53 AM

oh, wow...I watched Toonami the day it premiered. Whoah, that was a loooong time ago.

InvaderNorbert

InvaderNorbert

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 1:08 AM

I've been wondering who that deep-based VO was recently...holy crap, I forgot it was some kind of Moltar impersonator!

Fortunately or so I'm reading, I did not see the 10th Anniversery TOM Bastardization. I actually remember when the first TOM was killed off...Jeez, I feel old.

While the Toonami of old is something to be cherished, I like that they actually show all-anime, I remember when suitable programming for the block was the Powerpuff Girls. Even back then, I was going "WTF?!"

And curse Toonami for shifting Bobo-bo Bo-bobo to the 8:30 slot, while I'm working my retail job! I liked it when it was at 10pm! Grumble grumble, dubtitled dvds, grumble grumble...

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 1:26 AM

Tom's now some kind of giant bug? Looks goofy.

Back when Napster was still an illegal song-stealing service, I downloaded a couple of tracks from the Toonami soundtrack. Remember that? I kind of miss the musical interludes.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 2:58 AM

Tom's new look is a step down from the previous ones. Just because they can create more realistic CGI facial expressions nowadays doesn't mean that he needs a face. Ugh.

I really hope they aren't planning to make a series out of The Condor. That was just the movie promo, but I think it's going to be awful.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 7:52 AM

I really hope they aren't planning to make a series out of The Condor. That was just the movie promo, but I think it's going to be awful.

Agreed. It looked uber crappy. Skateboarders injected with nanobots? Sounds like a crappy version of a bastardized Max Steel. I miss Max Steel. Knew it wouldn't last though.

bossu

bossu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 10:38 AM

Wow. The new TOM looks stoned. Seriously. However, the trip down "memory lane" was, uh, memorable. The CG has sure come a long way, huh?

Remember that? I kind of miss the musical interludes.

Wasn't the entire IGPX soundtrack pretty much a mix of all those musical interludes? I wonder why CN never released a soundtrack? Or did they? Maybe clearing the rights to all those tunes was too expensive to be bothered with.

And just out of curiosity, is there anyone else here who misses the Saturday Video Entertainment System (SVES)? Y'know? The one with all the 8-bit looking graphics and the Not!Samus character running around. I loved that. I thought it had one of the most well designed, entertaining bumpers and 2D/3D graphics I'd seen in years. Then, CN just shoved it aside for Saturday Toonami. A shame.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 12:29 PM

Old Tom's gone?!

Truly, these are the end times.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 1:40 PM

Wasn't the entire IGPX soundtrack pretty much a mix of all those musical interludes?

Yeah, that was kinda cool, and funny when the tone of the music wasn't appropriate for what was going on in the show. I thought the end credits music especially didn't fit. It has a rather sinister, brooding quality, and is too dark for that show.

I kind of miss the musical interludes.

My favorite is the Gundam Wing montage. There's all these scenes from GW, then, suddenly, up pops Vegeta's face. Say what?

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

Those montages were awesome. My favorite was the "Pardon Our Dust" one, which was just a bunch of clips of shit getting blown up in true anime fashion.

SugarcultAddict

SugarcultAddict

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 2:32 PM

Midnight Run was the best, I used to get yelled at for staying up and watching Gundam Wing, man Cartoon Network used to rock, I'd rather see them bring back the Midnight Run and get rid of the craptacular adult swim.

GDex86

GDex86

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 5:48 PM

Ah Toonami Midnight Run how I miss Adult Swims more laid back, techno music playing, anime loving older brother.

Those montages made me feel really old. Since I can remember watching all those shows. I remember how happy I was when they picked up sailor moon after USA dropped it when they ended their afternoon/morning cartoons run. I remmeber how happy I was when they showed 3rd Season Reboot. I remember the first time we got TOM.

I feel very old now.

Wildkat

Wildkat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 9:33 PM

Wow 10 years huh? I think I'm starting to feel old. Did original Toonami have Jonny Quest and Robotech, or was that the precursor? I remember watching Robotech and I think at 6pm Jonny Quest came on right after it. I don't even watch Toonami any more and barely watch adult swim--- and I remember when that started.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 10:43 PM

Pardon Our Dust and Strings, used as the closing music on IGPX, are the two I've got. Complete with Kai-Ou yelling "Time out!...Get set...and go!"

I wonder why CN never released a soundtrack? Or did they? Maybe clearing the rights to all those tunes was too expensive to be bothered with.

If you go back to my post, I linked to the only soundrack ever released, as far as I know.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 10:52 PM

Jonny Quest

Yep, the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest used to air on Toonami. I loved that show, I remember when I used to watch it on weekday mornings. So awesome.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

I might not like the shows that are on there now, but while I watched it Toonami was always just plain fun. Didn't try to be anything other than that.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2007 @ 12:19 AM

Wasn't the entire IGPX soundtrack pretty much a mix of all those musical interludes?

Yeah, that was kinda cool, and funny when the tone of the music wasn't appropriate for what was going on in the show. I thought the end credits music especially didn't fit. It has a rather sinister, brooding quality, and is too dark for that show.

I thought of it as "Fantine's Theme."

New TOM? No weekly fix of Steve Blum's voice? Toonami hates me too.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2007 @ 1:33 PM

When I first saw the new look of TOONAMI last saturday, my first thoughts were:"OMG! I HATE IT! I HATE IT!!". Then I sat there for about five minutes. The I realized that it was absolutely perfect. So it's different. So it's a sharp contrast to the old look. I still love it. It reminds me of good ol' TOM 1, right down to the way TOM 4 walks. I even like the two new co-hosts, especially the one that says "your about to see some non-toonami related images", even if that one is voiced by Tom "Spongebob" Kenny. I was, however, hoping for some backstory on the new look. Some kind of explanation as to the new look and new hosts and lack of SARA and the ABSOLUTION. But, in classic TOONAMI fasion, all they do is take a small look back, make a slight reference or two, and continue on with the show, not making a big deal out of anything. And that's what I've always liked about Toonami all these years. It doesn't make a big deal out of itself or take things too seriousely. Though the absolution and SARA will be missed, the overall theme is that change is a good thing, and I'm behind them %100. Besides, I never really cared about SARA anyway.

If you go back to my post, I linked to the only soundrack ever released, as far as I know.

Actually, there are technically two TOONAMI soundtracks. I say "technically", because the second was an online exclusive, courtesy of the ARSENAL. And even though the first is a CD intended for "buying", both soundtracks can be found here, listed alphabetically starting with "toonami".

New TOM? No weekly fix of Steve Blum's voice? Toonami hates me too.

Quite the contrary. Despite the sharply different new look, our old friend TOM is still voiced by Steve. In fact, the voice still sounds almost exactly the same, albiet a slightly different digital "echo" effect.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2007 @ 9:02 AM

I even like the two new co-hosts, especially the one that says "your about to see some non-toonami related images", even if that one is voiced by Tom "Spongebob" Kenny.

Are they co-hosts, or the new replacement hosts? It sounded to me as if Tom 4 (Thomas the Tank Engine Tom) was replacing the Steve Blum-voiced Tom.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2007 @ 12:44 PM

They're both voiced by the same guy! God, did you even WATCH last Saturday!? TOM 4 is still the main host, he's still voiced by Steven Jay Blum, and as far as I can tell, the other two are just the co-hosts. TOM 4 still does the "next week on Toonami" promos and show introductions, the big green "Tom Kenny voiced" guy does the "going to commercial" bumps, and the other floating guy does the game reviews and "coming up next" bumps. These are of course just my observations as of one weeks worth of watching. Bottom line: TOM 4 IS STILL VOICED BY THE SAME GUY, HE JUST LOOKS DIFFERENT. Sorry for being rude.

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

Actually, there are technically two TOONAMI soundtracks. I say "technically", because the second was an online exclusive, courtesy of the ARSENAL. And even though the first is a CD intended for "buying", both soundtracks can be found here, listed alphabetically starting with "toonami".

Thanks for this. I downloaded both, although since I have dialup it took for-freaking-ever.

Dariendude15

Dariendude15

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2007 @ 4:50 PM

After watching toonami last saturday, I admit, I was totally wrong to fly off the handle. TOM is, in fact, very unseesn throughout. Maybe it's because of the super-long movies this month, but the entire show seems to be being run by those other two robots. He's still there, of course. It's just that he's barely there, if at all.

canuck31003

canuck31003

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 9:04 PM

Anyone else been having trouble loading up the CN website? For at least the past month whenever I try my browser (Firefox) locks up. It's annoying that I can't look at the schedule. I'd be happier if CN and Disney et cetera would get of all the flash bits, music, and videos that play automatically.
Takes too long to load everything up. Ugh.