American Gladiators

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1767 replies to this topic

Screamie

Screamie

Fanatic

Posted Aug 9, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Is Hurricane/Breaux going to the Olympics? The newest US Weekly says he is but I thought I heard he isn't. (It also says that Phoenix is his "live in" girlfriend.)

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 3:12 AM

If that's true, he has surprisingly good taste. Outside of the weird hair, she seems like she's a catch.

FHM seems to agree: http://www.fhmonline...e.aspx?ID=35820

And she gets BONUS POINTS from me, because she says she wants "Breakthrough and Conquer" back.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Aug 10, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

Is Hurricane/Breaux going to the Olympics?

He is now. He didn't qualify at the trials, but got in on a medical bye.

glounit

glounit

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

Speaking of Hurricane and Phoenix has anyone heard the story, that the reason he has the pink streaks in his hair is that he was helping her dye her hair pink and decided to put some in his hair.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Speaking of Hurricane and Phoenix has anyone heard the story, that the reason he has the pink streaks in his hair is that he was helping her dye her hair pink and decided to put some in his hair.

That would actually be...

Almost sweet.

Ick!

curemode

curemode

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 12:31 AM

If that's true, he has surprisingly good taste. Outside of the weird hair, she seems like she's a catch.

On the contrary, her pink hair gets bonus points from me. But honestly, she'd look great with any color hair with that exotic doll face of hers.

And I'd almost buy Hurricane's streak story if Hollywood wasn't so utterly obsessed with image. I doubt they'd allow the athletes to dye their hair whatever color they want. I'm sure there's something in their contract about not drastically altering their appearance without prior consent or something.

AngleMan

AngleMan

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 15, 2008 @ 1:11 AM

City TV in Canada is reairing the old episodes, and it's shocking to to see the very first season and how cheap it was. I think we're at the second season. Still no Zonka. Looking back it's clear it took AG a few seasons to find itself. I think one more year and AG might be really fun.

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2008 @ 7:38 PM

I think we're at the second season. Still no Zonka.

If it's Mike Adamle with Joe Theissman, it's the first half of season one. If it's Mike with Todd Christiansen, it's the second half of season one.

devans00

devans00

Fanatic

• Interests:Calligraphy, chocolate, movies, Art Deco, internet message boards, reality TV, graphic novels &; comix and being a do gooder and my dog Culo.

Posted Oct 3, 2008 @ 12:20 AM

I was in TV heaven tonight. On Tabatha's Salon Takeover (Hairlab: Woodland Hills, CA) on Bravo, who should show up on the scene as local TV celebrities but a few of the ladies from American Gladiators. I was gobsmacked.

Hellga, I didn't recognize until she started talking. Even then, Robin's husky voice was softer and dare I say, sexier. Maybe because she wasn't bellowing over cheering fans. Definitely more attractive in civilian clothes.

Steel, Venom and Panther, I recognized right away. I had already seen Beth, aka Venom, on Family Feud, so there were no surprises there. Besides the electric blue bustier, that is.

Erin, aka Steel, got to talk more on this show than whole episodes of American Gladiators. Erin got a wacky hair dresser who didn't want to do blue streaks, so she had plenty to say. The woman from the salon actually moped and kept insulting her customer to her face because she personally didn't like the idea. Yeah, that's the way to grow your business. I can't imagine a dark haired woman asking for blue highlights is the most outlandish request she's ever gotten in a suburb of Los Angeles.

They didn't really show what was going on with Corinne, aka Panther. So there must not have been any drama.

I'm so tickled that American Gladiators showed up on one of my girly shows.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 1:48 PM

Erin, aka Steel, got to talk more on this show than whole episodes of American Gladiators.

Wasn't "never talks" part of her gimmick on the show? Or as I call it, the last gimmick they had in the file?

In other, vaguely Gladiator-related news, Gina Carano actually made weight for a fight! Of course, she had to get bare-ass naked to do it.

Fishercat

Fishercat

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 8:56 PM

If they brought back "Breakthrough & Conquer" who would you use?

There's also "Human Cannonball", a kind of reversal of the current Sideswipe. I imagine the "tanks" like Hellga and Beast would get stuck on this.

Sorry for the late (late, late) response, but here I go

For B&C (one of the all time great events, simple, fast, exciting, powerful), I actually think it's one of the few where you have to change the criteria based on gender.

This AG has only cast sticks for women. I don't think we've had a seriously powerful female who could challenge the likes of Crush or Hellga in full body strength on either season thus far. Assuming that continues, you want a woman with a minimum level of strength, and then focus on agility and speed. I'd avoid putting Siren (on the small side) in either event, I'd obviously avoid Hellga on Breakthrough, and I'd avoid Steel on Breakthrough as well. I'd avoid Panther on conquer. I'm only using my pared down roster, so

Females (no particular order)
Breakthrough: Crush, Panther, Phoenix
Conquer: Crush, Phoenix, Steel, Hellga

As for the men, there are powerhouse men, so you need to consider strength more. On my list, it's a big hole for the Breakthrough portion. Beast would be too slow, Justice would probably be too slow, Titan's okay but not ideal. That leaves Toa, Militia, and Wolf. I think Wolf may fail to stand up to the big guys though, so he's in reserve.

I think all six could do conquer. The most interesting would be Titan and Toa with the speed in the ring, but Justice and Beast would be a challenge.

Breakthrough: Toa, Militia (secondary: Wolf, Titan)
Conquer: Any guy but Wolf really.

mparcher

mparcher

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 21, 2008 @ 2:56 PM

Looks like Crush lost her day job:

http://sports.yahoo....e...o&type=lgns

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3655102

Kingtut

Kingtut

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 22, 2008 @ 12:47 PM

I had the chance to hang out with Justice and he is a great guy.

Very smart and you can tell he enjoys his job.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 1, 2008 @ 5:06 AM

Looks like Crush lost her day job

That could actually be good for her in the long term. She wasn't likely to be any kind of champion there, and despite the CBS coverage, I don't think it was really getting that much public attention. She's gotten her face noticed a thousand fold more with A.G.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 6:45 PM

CANCELLED!

Edited by TWoP Gadget, Dec 23, 2008 @ 12:22 AM.
Broken link

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

CANCELLED!

I know, right? NBC hasn't said anyting about the show since it went off the air in the summer. Unless their looking for advertisers or unless the SAG strike pans out, I'll consider this show dead.

While A Coyote

While A Coyote

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 22, 2008 @ 11:37 PM

Its not that straightforward I think.

The show is getting a kind of pocket veto, not a cancellation. And I think its to keep people under contract, because NBC DOES rightfully fear they may need them again--they just don't want to commit to when.

Remember that NBC is taking this huge gamble with 5 hours of Prime Time Jay Leno a week. That's assassinating a lot of "on the bubble" shows. But in turn, NBC likely needs potential long range filler if Leno tanks. So I bet Gladiator is being held in suspended animation because of that. It would be cheaper and quicker to start up than new 1 hour dramas if needed, but they hope they won't need it.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Dec 25, 2008 @ 1:20 AM

CANCELLED!

I am not really that surprised. I mean I never really understood why NBC thought a show that was a modest hit during the strike when there was no competition, would continue to be a hit when it had to go up against actual competition, especially when the format was fairly repetitive (I mean how many times can you see someone run the gaunlet or get their ass kicked in Joust before it gets old). Plus the main complaints about the first season (the filler, the bad play-by-play, the overdone interviews, Hogan) weren't really corrected for the second season.

Dora Milaje

Dora Milaje

Couch Potato

• Interests:African-American cinema and television

Posted Dec 28, 2008 @ 10:54 AM

If Gladiators is canceled, what excuse will Gina "Jelly Roll" Carano have for going over weight for her fights? (Oh, wait...EliteXC is over with, isn't it?)

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Dec 28, 2008 @ 5:24 PM

The ratings were decent when the show first premiered during the strike; but viewers like myself became tired of the competitions being shoved out of the limelight by the excessive competitor interviews and history segments, not to mention the excessive spotlight grabbing by Hulk and Laila. If the show focused on the actual events (instead of cutting two or three per show in favor of filler), then the show may have found audience. Maybe a move to Friday, Saturday or Sunday would have allowed the show to find a bigger audience because who doesn't like to see a 300 pound gladiator pound on a normal 190 pound mortal?

Shelly98

Shelly98

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2009 @ 5:59 PM

IMO, if any of the hosts was a "spotlight grabber", it was more Hulkster than Laila. I thought she did fairly well; but she ended up lost in his shadow.

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2009 @ 6:57 PM

Season 3?

AMERICAN GLADIATORS Cast Members MAYHEM (William Romeo), STEEL (Erin Toughill), FURY (Jamie Kovac), HELGA (Robin Coleman), LASER (JIm Starr), and TOA (Tanoai Reed) appear to sign autographs from 12:00 P.M.-3:00 P.M. There is no charge if you bring one item for them to sign, but the cast will have a SPECIAL AMERICAN GLADIATORS POSTER available for purchase that they will all sign together. Though AMERICAN GLADIATORS will no longer be seen on NBC-TV, an announcement will be made at the Convention of where new episodes will air. New Cast Members from the new season of AMERICAN GLADIATORS will also appear.

This could be good news for the show. The presumably cheaper budget could force them to cut out some of the needless flash, including the Hulkster and Ali. Mike Adamle and a previous glad (Laser or Nitro, please) would make better, cheaper replacements.

Any guesses on the new channel? If it's kept in the NBC family, I'm guessing Sci-Fi Channel. Sci-Fi already shows wrestling, so AG wouldn't be too far of a leap.

jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2009 @ 10:32 PM

Any guesses on the new channel? If it's kept in the NBC family, I'm guessing Sci-Fi Channel. Sci-Fi already shows wrestling, so AG wouldn't be too far of a leap.

I'm thinking it would be a lead in (or temp. replacement for) Moday Night Raw on USA.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 4:04 PM

Because you demanded it... the movie!

Johnny Ferraro, creator of the "American Gladiators" TV franchise, is bringing a live-action adaptation of the property to the bigscreen...

Former Legendary Pictures chief marketing officer Scott Mednick is producing "American Gladiators." The goal is to create an action story that takes place inside the world Ferraro has created.

"I look forward to creating a compelling story that launches a whole new set of characters," Mednick said...

Ferraro noted "American Gladiators" was originally conceived as a film, but the property "took a detour and became a TV phenomenon."

Biggie Shorty

Biggie Shorty

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 21, 2009 @ 5:19 AM

Who the hell demanded THIS?

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

• Interests:The Braves, other sports, TV, nicknames, Mountain Dew, and puppies.

Posted Aug 6, 2009 @ 8:43 PM

I'm watching a rerun of S2 new AG on WGN right now (started at 9pm ET) -- any ideas if this might be the new channel on which S3 might air?

toejam

toejam

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

I demanded an American Gladiators movie like 2 decades ago.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2010 @ 3:35 PM

In Denver,

His father describes 23-year-old Rohit Mukherjee as a "gentle giant."So, Tom Mukherjee said it was hard to hear recordings of what he believes are Denver police officers torturing his 6-foot, 230-pound son until he shrieked in agony and begged for his life.. . .

In a federal civil rights lawsuit filed Monday, Rohit Mukherjee accuses three police officers of bursting into his apartment and slamming him against a door.He accuses Officer Abbegayle Dorn of choking him with her forearm across his windpipe until he couldn't breathe, according to the lawsuit that named Dorn, two male officers and the Denver Police Department as defendants. Police have identified one of the male officers as Richard Fischer, but the second male officer's name has not been released.Dorn is a professional fitness model who was a contestant on the "American Gladiator" television show in 2008. Her gladiator show bio described Dorn as 5 foot 6 inches, 152 pounds.