6-8: "Bend It Like Donald" 2007.03.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

138 replies to this topic

CrazyIndian

CrazyIndian

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 8:31 AM

OK so I read Surya's blog entry and comments by Tim. What seems fishy to me is, This is happening first time. A contestant defending another contestant after show. Another rating game may be?

clairedawn

clairedawn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 8:59 AM

Isn't Surya Indian? In India they shake their heads "yes" like we Americans nod our heads. It's hard to switch something like that if you've done it for years; it's almost a reflex. It's just like the rest of the Apprentice candidates nodding away at everything DT says.

They all look like bobbleheads

NYTeacher

NYTeacher

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 10:50 AM

I'd like to see Muna as project manager as I think her obsessive detail controlling would make any task fun to watch while hideous to be under her management. I don't think Heidi would enjoy being managed to that extent as much as she says that she and Muna are alike in their attention to detail.

What amazes me about the "It's time for Tide to Go" chant is that I very clearly remember it and think of it any time I use the product. During the episode I was appalled with the team that came up with it and heartily agreed the other team deserved the win. Until I read it a few pages back I completely did not remember the winning teams boxing skit. Clearly a simple repititive jingle is terrifically dynamic in the marketing world but no one seemed to have recognized its impact during the actual episode.

clairedawn

clairedawn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 10:57 AM

What amazes me about the "It's time for Tide to Go" chant is that I very clearly remember it and think of it any time I use the product. During the episode I was appalled with the team that came up with it and heartily agreed the other team deserved the win. Until I read it a few pages back I completely did not remember the winning teams boxing skit. Clearly a simple repititive jingle is terrifically dynamic in the marketing world but no one seemed to have recognized its impact during the actual episode.

you know, that is really true. Too funny. I remember their time for tide to go performance as painfu/God awful, but in an extremely annoying way, it was catchy and got inside your head. Who would have thought Hateful Jim & Bethany were so brilliant!

paulyb84

paulyb84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

Neither of this week's events were as bad as Primarius's Tide to Go skit, but also, neither were as good as Matchstick's boxing gloves skit.

Who ever thought Bethenny and Jim would reach the final three after that "De-bah-culllllllllll," as Hateful Jim (tm Keckler) put it? Then again, I suppose the Buzzkill Spinters (also tm Keckler) earned that loss more than the other three.

Edited by paulyb84, Mar 14, 2007 @ 11:57 AM.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 1:51 PM

Isn't Surya Indian? In India they shake their heads "yes" like we Americans nod our heads. It's hard to switch something like that if you've done it for years; it's almost a reflex. It's just like the rest of the Apprentice candidates nodding away at everything DT says.

But Surya isn't foreign. He was raised in the US. Most first/second generation kids are able to culturally switch themselves depending on what environment they're in.

meowing

meowing

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 6:38 PM

I think this show is in serious trouble.

The show was already in trouble prior to this week. Moving a reality show to 10:00 signifies that.

Now Trump's fighting with Rosie again but I don't think that's going to save this show.

Too bad, because there was finally a good episode on.

"It's time for Tide to go!"

It was catchy. Maybe they should have won that task.

Neither of this week's events were as bad as Primarius's Tide to Go skit, but also, neither were as good as Matchstick's boxing gloves skit.

Perhaps, but I have no memory of their boxing skit but I remember Tide To Go.

Edited by meowing, Mar 14, 2007 @ 7:13 PM.

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 12:42 PM

Kinetic's show seemed to be making claims that vitamins cure diseases. I don't know if what they portrayed crossed the line into fraudulent health claims under FDA regulations, but it looked like the type of thing that lawyers would have advised against. I'm assuming that there is always a lawyer somewhere, checking things out.

paulyb84

paulyb84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 12:56 PM

Meowing, I meant that the Matchstick boxing gloves skit was Matchstick's Tide-to-Go skit. Ryan was dressed up as Tide-to-Go Joe and Marcela was ketchup stain.

CheekyCricket

CheekyCricket

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 1:02 PM

I recall hearing that herbal (and other) dietary supplements sold by GNC and similar companies aren't regulated by the FDA, so they can make much broader claims for their products than pharmaceutical companies. (For instance, they can claim that glucosamine supplements help help alleviate painful joints, that echinacea prevents the common coldm etc. without the requirement of regulated, monitored testing.) Otherwise, I suspect many of the dietary supplement companies would go out of business tomorrow. Also, both Kristine and Muna are lawyers, so presumably, they'd have some awareness of the issues.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 2:16 PM

"and Marcela was ketchup stain."

For some reason that just made me laugh out loud. And I saw that episode, but I don't remember the ketchup stain girl. How does one represent a ketchup stain anyway? How do you differentiate 'ketchup stain' from 'horrible gory murder stain' or 'my first period' stain?

paulyb84

paulyb84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 2:58 PM

Good point, nikitakitty. I just remember her wearing a big red outfit and a tutu I think.

albertj

albertj

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 3:04 PM

As I understand it, so-called "nutra-ceuticals" walk a fine line in what they can and can't claim.

For example, an herbal supplement can't claim to "cure prostate cancer", but it could claim to "increase prostate health".

I, also, thought some of the claims that Kinetic was making were very close to crossing the line, especially the bit about clogged arteries.

Of course, courtesy of Orrin Hatch and the boys in the '90s, the FDA has next to no enforcement capability in these areas.

JellyBellys

JellyBellys

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 3:48 PM

you know, that is really true. Too funny. I remember their time for tide to go performance as painfu/God awful, but in an extremely annoying way, it was catchy and got inside your head. Who would have thought Hateful Jim & Bethany were so brilliant!

You guys have really made me feel SO much better about the fact that that jingle gets stuck in my head at random moments, along with Hateful Jim's more "freestyle" versions of it. God I loved Hateful Jim. Now THAT is a good reality television villain!

Surya, on the other hand...ugh. Dude, when some of the worst contestants on this show, ever, show more grace and class when fired than you, that is a horrible sign.

It was nice seeing Bill back, even if I didn't agree with his assessment of James, cause I love James and he can do no wrong. At least I know I'm biased. ;o)

I never, ever want Sean or Junior to come back. Junior got on my shitlist the episode Michelle quit, and Sean just blows. I'd rather have Lee as a Viceroy. Isn't he working for Trump now, anyway? I like having two viceroys so much better than the winning PM, because the winning PM is boring, and either too smug or too quiet, generally speaking, although I thought Kristine and Heidi both did pretty good jobs. I would love to see James or Frank as a Viceroy. That would be entertainment.

Did anyone else notice that the "zip it" Kristine supposedly said to Muna in the van never happened? Damn promo monkeys! At least they misled me into thinking Surya was bitching about Frank.

meowing

meowing

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 8:04 PM

Meowing, I meant that the Matchstick boxing gloves skit was Matchstick's Tide-to-Go skit. Ryan was dressed up as Tide-to-Go Joe and Marcela was ketchup stain.

That's the thing. I remember Jim's "Tide to go" but not the winning team's stunt. Although the boxing event is starting to come back vaguely into my memory, I could have lived without it entering my brain again. Whereas Tide to Go hasn't gone out of my consciousness yet. So Jim's team should have won.

Vetasimmons

Vetasimmons

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

I checked and it is the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) that regulates advertising claims of dietary supplements. It is correct that the FDA doesn't approve them, so they don't have to go through the hoops that are required for drugs.

According to the FTC website:

he FTC has taken action not just against supplement manufacturers, but also, in appropriate circumstances, against ad agencies, distributors, retailers, catalog companies, infomercial producers and others involved in deceptive promotions. Therefore, all parties who participate directly or indirectly in the marketing of dietary supplements have an obligation to make sure that claims are presented truthfully and to check the adequacy of the support behind those claims.

Supplement manufacturers still cannot make false claims about the effectiveness of supplements,and they absolutely cannot claim that they cure diseases or medical conditions if it hasn't been scientifically proven. They can sell any useless crap they want to as long as it is safe and they don't actually say it works. If anybody is remotely interested, here are the
FTC Rules for Advertising Supplements

I think The Apprentice definitely crossed the line in televising this nonsense.

But what is even more interesting is the fact that the spectators were asked to vote for the presentation they liked best, yet that was edited out. Was the result originally supposed to be decided by this vote, and then changed to have the GNC guy choose? I'm going to have to watch the show again to see how it was edited when they were told how the winner would be chosen.

Edited by Vetasimmons, Mar 15, 2007 @ 10:58 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

• Interests:Foreign language and culture study, cooking, dancing, music, reading, and television, of course!

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 11:08 PM

Who ever thought Bethenny and Jim would reach the final three after that "De-bah-culllllllllll," as Hateful Jim (tm Keckler) put it? Then again, I suppose the Buzzkill Spinters (also tm Keckler) earned that loss more than the other three.

Speaking of HatefulJim, check out what he had to say about Kinetic's boxing match in his latest recap of the show. He had quite a few Martha flashbacks of his own!

umrguy42

umrguy42

Video Archivist

• Interests:Apprentice, Doctor Who, Star Trek (most varieties), CSI, Scrubs, History Channel, Law & Order (the original), Farscape, Cowboy Bebop, MST3K, Red Dwarf, Sopranos

Posted Mar 16, 2007 @ 3:24 AM

But what is even more interesting is the fact that the spectators were asked to vote for the presentation they liked best, yet that was edited out. Was the result originally supposed to be decided by this vote, and then changed to have the GNC guy choose? I'm going to have to watch the show again to see how it was edited when they were told how the winner would be chosen.

I watched carefully when I reviewed my tape the other day... while The Donald is saying they'll be judged by GNC-boy, they're showing a shot of the Apprenti, NOT him speaking. So it coulda been dubbed...

Flashbacker

Flashbacker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2007 @ 8:53 PM

[quote]Once the money's been spent, the props have been made, and time's just about run out, it really doesn't do much good to say, "Maybe we should have done something else." I do think there's a point of no return where you just have to suck it up and go for it.[/quote] What I heard James doing was to say, "Let's fix this", not "Let's trash this." If Surya had wanted to listen, the proper action would have been like that famous scene in Apollo 13, where you take all the equipment you have, stick it in the middle of the room, and figure out what you can do with it to solve your problem. Instead, it was simply "no." The problem I've had with Surya all along is that he is like the one soldier on parade who follows all the commands perfectly, but finds himself standing all alone. It's natural that he be the one who gets shot.

[quote][quote]As for the reason they lost, it was a failure of the concept. Everything else was executed correctly. Why weren't there any better concepts? Because James and Frankie didn't take the brainstorming session seriously, and were distracting to everyone else. Certainly not because of the PM[/quote]Surya didn't think of any ideas either, though. He LOVED their idea, he gave an interview blathering on about how awesome it was. Totally deserved firing, IMO.[/quote] ITA. It's not that Surya can't do everything, it's that he doesn't do anything. He never engages in an idea, he just stands there and describes a process, regardless of whether it is useful, as they were to break Arrow's losing streak, or useless, as his whiteboard sessions and his brainstorming "think" session. Even if your team is seriously revolting against you, a good manager learns how to read a room, how to win someone over, something. He kept telling Angela he would win someone over to his side, but in fact he never did a damn thing to even try.[quote]

Am I wrong that they actually edited the two productions so they were in the opposite order of what happened? The link to the Express fans' forum indicated that Arrow went first. That is just weird. Two different GNC commercials in one halftime is stupid enough, though. Who would stand there for it?