Private Practice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5769 replies to this topic

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

That makes more sense. Thanks for sharing!

minirth

minirth

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:59 PM

I think it would have been far more dramatically interesting to have Amelia's baby be diagnosed with something that actually was the result of her drug use.

Could not agree more. Complete cop-out and waste of a dramatic opportunity... unless... maybe... Jake is lying. Amelia is a doctor with access to medical texts and the Internet. If she didn't already know, or look it up on her own, maybe she know she couldn't handle the truth. Jake either immediately got that, or he was being kind, and he lied. He told her a lie that wouldn't hurt anyone to spare her more pain. I don't get Sam/Addison, I like Jake/Addison, but the most human, humane, and compassionate relationship on that show is Jake's toward Amelia.

Law and Order is my legal standard, and it must be Shonda's too, from what you are describing.

Adam Schiff would like to demand an immediate apology!!! :)

AddisonLove

AddisonLove

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

ABC revealed their fall schedule. PP returns in the fall on Tuesday at 10/9 central. There were rumors it was for 13 episodes, but there has been no official announcement from ABC. Since no official announcement, I would think it means we get a full season. Not sure.

Private Practice Season Finale Promo # 2 and Sneak Peeks.

TVGuide Scoop: Will Addison Get To Have It All?

TVGuide Scoop: Pete is in the slammer. Will He Get Out?

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Oh Addison, please just say no. You can't agree to marry one man in the same few hours that you sleep with another man.

I have really loved watching Charlotte become Mason's step-mom so I squeed a little when Mason asked if he could call her "momma" (which is what my daughter calls me).

I hate Sam. I know I used to like him, but I just don't remember why.

I have no idea what was going on with Pete/Violet. I didn't pay attention.

Not even going to touch the Amelia's baby storyline. Other than to wonder if we'll see the repercussions of Charlotte's decision to harvest the organs.

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I have really loved watching Charlotte become Mason's step-mom so I squeed a little when Mason asked if he could call her "momma" (which is what my daughter calls me).

This scene (really all of the Charlotte/Mason scenes tonight) killed me. I lost my mom 4 years ago and it freaking sucks. And I'm almost 30...I can't imagine what it's like for a 10 year old.

I rolled my eyes at pretty much everything else. Especially the very end...gross.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:15 PM

Hopefully the 13 episodes for next season will allow for tighter and BETTER writing.

I am tired of Addison's bed hopping. I (sort) of like Sam, but I wanted him to get up and go home. I also wanted Jake to get busy and go home. Let's let Addison spend some time on her own instead of hopping into a new bed minutes after the last guy decides to bail.

I have no ideas why this show's writing has gone off the rails and is about to crash 2000 feet below. Gah!

TVisMyMcLife

TVisMyMcLife

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV, TV and more TV ;) Oh, yeah, and roller hockey, reading, writing, my black lab, drinking, movies, just hanging out. Did I mention TV watching?

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

Oh Addison, please just say no. You can't agree to marry one man in the same few hours that you sleep with another man.

This. That's just ... yeah, no. She needs to just pick Henry. I'd be fine with Jake (there might have been some squeeing when they had sex. Also, prior to that, the whole scene, with him comforting her and the "unicorn baby" speech, was really sweet), but I cannot stand Sam. He can't just decide he wants her and Henry because he doesn't want Jake to have her. And Sam, do not refer to Henry as yours. He is not. Get over yourself.

All comparisons to real life and actual medical considerations aside, the Amelia and the baby parts were really heartbreaking. Although I cannot believe they showed the actual organ harvesting. That was a little too much. Hearing them talk would have been enough.

Charlotte was awesome this episode. Mason saying he would call her momma made me tear up.

I'm glad it gets a final season. I won't be glad if that final season is all Addison/Sam, but I'm holding out hope she'll say no. If she learned anything at all from her mostly pointless therapy sessions, then she should say no.

ParadoxLost

ParadoxLost

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

This episode, Amelia's baby storyline started to feel like the purpose was to have all the Doctors violate the law by doing the transplant so Pete wouldn't look so bad for killing his patient by comparison.

So are we now down to one Doc that isn't likely to be suspended from practice or tossed in jail?

roydenlea

roydenlea

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:54 PM

Incredible. In-fucking-credible.

Would Sam want to be with Addison if Henry wasn't so dang cute?

This show jumped the shark when Addison and Sam got together and has never recovered. Just when it seemed like it was trying to go out with some shreds of dignity, we get this. The dream of every forty-something woman who never really left high school. Only Addison doesn't just get two,cute boys fighting over her: both cute boys are DOCTORS!!!! Yay!!!!

Did Child Protective Services bother to investigate Addison before simply handing Henry over to her? Because the revolving door of men she has going on at her house can't be a good environment to raise a child.

TVisMyMcLife

TVisMyMcLife

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV, TV and more TV ;) Oh, yeah, and roller hockey, reading, writing, my black lab, drinking, movies, just hanging out. Did I mention TV watching?

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Did Child Protective Services bother to investigate Addison before simply handing Henry over to her? Because the revolving door of men she has going on at her house can't be a good environment to raise a child.

She's been with 4 guys in 5 seasons (5, if you count Mark). Four of the five she's been in a relationship with. I doubt that makes her ineligible to be a mother.

renatae

renatae

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

Oh Shonda, how you do disappoint. Illegal organ harvesting, delivering premature immigrant babies just to put them in the foster care system, and a 10-year old child with gender identity crisis? All in one 44 minute show? I'm out. This is worse than the worst soap opera ever written. Kate Walsh should be embarrassed to act in this debacle.

Wow, how true.

Oh, and now Addison is all smiley after Sam's proposal. I'm ill. I was literally yelling, "Yes, Yes!" when she told him he was too late. He doesn't know his own mind, not committed enough to her and late to the party. She's no better. One person then another. Is there anyone on the show she hasn't slept with?

Edited by renatae, May 15, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

AddisonLove

AddisonLove

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

I doubt that makes her ineligible to be a mother.

Agreed and I am pretty sure mother's are allowed to date.

Is there anyone on the show she hasn't slept with?

Cooper and Sheldon. Violet and Charlotte have slept with two men on the show. Addison has now slept with three. Only one more than them.

The season finale was pretty boring. I loved the moment when Addison went in to help Amelia during child birth. Then, when she broke down with Jake (KW was amazing!). Gotta say that scene was pretty hot.

Addison saying she had it all then smiling at the end was all about baby Henry. She didn't pick either of them. IMO.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Why am I still watching this crap?! Ick & eww & barf. Really show? I was already a little sick to my stomach from Addison & Jake having sex at the hospital after just seeing one of their "family" live thru such a horrific ordeal & then harvesting tiny baby organs (& I can't even address that storyline because it makes me want to beat my head against a brick wall) but to have to watch Mr. No Baby for Me do the flip flop shuffle was too much. I wanted to puke.

Is Addy's answer to everything sex? I'm sad, I'll have sex. I'm celebrating, sex it is. I think I've stubbed my toe, better sex that up. Keep your pants on for a week woman & enjoy that baby you longed for so much for that week. Just try it. You'll survive! Why do you have to have a man during that week? The world won't empty itself of sex hungry men in one week. Promise!

Pete & Violet are a waste of TV. I want him to get convicted & be shipped off to a prison far, far away. Violet can follow & visit every single day to talk thru big, deep, talky topics & be off screen at all times.

The only bright spots for me were the Charlotte as mama portions. But then again I've found her to be the only character to display interesting growth in the past year. So I'm back to the question... Why am I still watching this crap?

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:40 PM

Was there ever an explanation for why Sheldon was off globe-trotting with his ex-wife? (Was he interviewing for other shows IRL? making a movie?)

AddisonLove

AddisonLove

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

Is Addy's answer to everything sex? I'm sad, I'll have sex. I'm celebrating, sex it is. I think I've stubbed my toe, better sex that up. Keep your pants on for a week woman

I don't think so. If that was the case, she would be having lots more sex. She has kept her pants on for a week actually a few months. She got Henry when Amelia was 5 months pregnant and just tonight had sex.

renatae

renatae

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:22 AM

Maybe they could contact some true ethics professors all around the country, since they have explored this issues to its deepest level. (I could refer you to some if youre reading this, PrP writers!)

Oh wait, that means they'd have to want it to be correct. Never mind.

At least we can all have a good snark when we see how shallowly they treat the subject.. If they treated this realistically, Amelia and Jake would have to find a Congressman and a Senator to sponsor a bill that redefines the current brain death standard, thus moving our society further away from the "brain death" standard we have come to accept (with the exception of some religions such as Orthodox Judiasm, which does not accept "brain death"). Then it would have to move from sub-committee to the floors of both the House and Senate, pass through all those votes, then go to the President to be signed into law.

At that point, we would live in a country where that law would have to apply to anyone with limited upper cortex function and presumably, a predictable death. That could include all PVS and comatose patients, those with syndromes such as Trisomy 18 or other global defects, and even stroke victims. Anyone who is breathing and eating on their own, but still has brain stem function would now be seen as a source for organ harvesting. This would be the cause of their death.

This bill would have a VERY difficult time passing and is completely unrealistic. So if Super-Jake and his sidekick, pregnant, Harvard-educated, preeminent neurosurgeon and crack addict Amelia were to tackle this realistically, that is what they would have to do. Let's see if that happens. (In every case where this law was challenged by a pregnant mother carrying an anencephalic infant, the baby passed away before any legislative action could really even begin. So even if Super-Jake and Amelia tried to pursue this by challenging the current laws, the likelihood that Amelia's baby would be born in time to benefit from the changing of those laws is virtually zero. Except on TV, where we willingly suspend our brains for the sake of following the show. This gets more difficult the more one knows about a topic.

P.S. Something interesting I learned during the process of becoming informed on this topic - the real reason the AMA pushed to redefine brain death in 1995 to include anencephalic babies in the first place is because car seat laws and safer cars have so cut down on the amount of traumatic infant deaths that they are looking everywhere to find new sources of organs for infant transplantation.

So at its core, the desire to pursue the anencephalic for organs is purely utilitarian on the part of the medical profession. They want to find a new source of organs for transplantation to sick infants since they no longer have enough usable organs (for the reasons I explained earlier - the baby can't die a natural death as its organs are unusable.) Thus, they need fresh, healthy, continuously oxygenated organs - such as you'd find at a car crash, when a body is given full life support before the cessation of brain stem function. Only in those cases can they keep the organs continuously perfused. Those are the only organs that can be transplanted.

One possible compromise to this heart-breaking issue is that after death has occurred naturally, although the solid organs are unusable -meaningful donations such as corneas, skin and tissue grafts for burn victims, and stem cells and umbilical blood banking can all be harvested from the anencephalic infant after it has died. So that is a compromise I hope they offer to Amelia on behalf of all the parents in this situation who desire their baby with anencephaly to "live on" via transplantation, without having their baby actually die as a RESULT of the transplantation of their solid organs. If the writers on PrP are at all on the ball, that is a conclusion they could reach, working within the current laws in our country. Unless they get these laws changed in a episode or two? /snark/

Again, sorry for the enormous soap box. I've talked too much, but with such intelligent thinkers on this many-layered topic, its hard to resist. The topic of harvesting from anencpahlic infants doesn't often come up, so I may have seized this opportunity a little too much. If so, apologies to all. Thanks for listening.

Thank you, teaandabook, for your insight. My heart goes out to you. When I was a nursing student, things were more barbaric. I was pregnant and sent one night to the peds ICU "for the experience" when an anencephalic baby arrived. I was told the baby would just "not be fed." In those days, these types of decisions were unilateral on the part of the doctors, who told the parents it was "best." In those days, no one argued with the doctors. They tried to tell me the crying baby was not suffering.

I certainly hope the AMA never is able to redefine brain death in order to gain access to more organs. I was unaware of that attempt and can't say more as I'm too overwhelmed by the prospect to make much sense at this point.Although I try to keep up with these issues, you have been incredibly informative, as on this particular front, even I had no idea what has been transpiring.

So sorry to hear about these bills in other countries. Are they intended for terminally ill people or just those that have medical conditions that have a large cost to support? Because if it's the latter, the "extra benefit" of harvesting organs from those deemed "not worthy to live" could indeed become a medical happy hour, coming with a side order of abundant quantities of harvestable organs! Plus, no sick people to take care of! Benefits all around! (Unless YOU are one of the ill, of course!)

I didn't want to use this term before, but are we really talking about a form of infanticide when we harvest organs from sick or handicapped infants?

One of my favorite quotes on this topic came from preeminent ethicist Dr. Shlomo Shinnar, Albert Einstein University, a second generation Holocaust survivor and a pediatric neurosurgeon: "Noble goals should never be achieved by improper means."

Agreed, Dr. Shinnar.

The former governor of Oregon, who was in office when they passed their Euthanasia bill, and whose name escapes me at the moment, said handicapped people had a "duty to die" to free others from the cost and 'burden" of their care. These ideas are unfortunately, not foreign in the U.S. and there have been many movements and philosophers who propound them. The "ethicist" Peter Singer used to say that a child under age 3 wasn't really a person, so that euthanasia for say, a Down's syndrome child was acceptable.

Not too much hope that Shonda will have a reality based outcome for this situation, but I suppose she may surprise us.

Edited by renatae, May 16, 2012 @ 12:52 AM.

EditorJax

EditorJax

Video Archivist

• Interests:Shows I watch: Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Brothers &amp; Sisters, Big Love, Project Runway, America's Next Top Model, Army Wives, Top Chef. <br /><br />Former loves: Friends, Sex and the City, Lois &amp; Clark, The Sopranos, Once and Again, Frasier.

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 3:17 AM

Feasibility aside, I bawled like a baby. When Amelia held her son and said how beautiful he was, I got teary. When she tried to calm him as he made that squeaky little noise, I sobbed. I do wish they hadn't been so graphic with the organ retrieval but I think they were trying to show just what a noble sacrifice Amelia was making.

I loved when Mason decided to call Charlotte "Momma." The tears in her eyes reflected in the glass were so telling.

And I was incredibly moved by Addison and Charlotte's discussion in the hallway about how they had both become mothers without giving birth, but Amelia was going to give birth and not be a mother. The pain was palpable on both of their faces.

A very touching, emotional ending to the season.

dvrsavedtv

dvrsavedtv

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I agree with most comments. Best parts were Charlotte and Mason. Very touching. Her questioning whether it was inappropriate to bring him to see sick babies was so sweet and innocent.

While I know Amelia's story line was unrealistic, as I've learned here, I still teared up when she held her baby. I was glad she held him, that was a very tender moment. The surgery was a bit much, seeing an infant opened up like that was very difficult to watch.

Violet and Pete, didn't care, fast forwarded through their scenes.

I really really hate Sam. I find him to be so smug and self righteous. I think him seeing her with Jake is what prompted him to change his mind. I think the moment the baby is crying in the middle of the night, he'll roll his eyes and change his mind again.

I think Jake is the perfect person for Addison, out of all the men she's been with. He's the only one I can envision her growing old with, raising a family, taking care of each other. I think they have great chemistry and Jake is just an all around great guy. Addison will be stupid if she picks Sam. They just don't work. If it were up to Sam Henry wouldn't even exisit in her life. Sam is selfish, unyeilding. Jake and her have a lot more in common and he listens to her.

I'm just really hoping she tells Sam no, but judging by her smile at the end I figure she'll probaby say yes. Ugh.

Bavct

Bavct

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

All in all I thought the finale was good, not great.

I'm hoping Addison's smile at the end was about her having her Kelly Taylor moment (plus Henry of course).

However, I'm afraid that she is going to choose Sam and we end up with a WTD story for Addison to start the season.

Can we have a spin off with Charlotte and Mason - "I'm the Mama"? They may turn out to be one of the best relationships this show has ever had.

Amelia's story had the tears flowing, the baby "squeaking" had me doing the ugly cry.

Don't care about Pete/Violet - they can go into hiding and never come back.

SilverLake0315

SilverLake0315

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:33 AM

Violet and Pete, didn't care, fast forwarded through their scenes.

I have to say, the scene at the end with the two of them in bed? That was a horribly lit and/or executed scene. Violet looked AWFUL. When the camera first panned to her, I actually thought, "Am I supposed to know who that dude is?" Then they switched to Pete and I realized, "Oh, shit, that was Violet!"

I really really hate Sam.

It's not adding much, but WORD. For me, "really really hate" isn't even strong enough. I'm not sure there are words to accurately describe how I feel about Sam. If Addison accepts his proposal, or even agrees to start dating him again, I'm out.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:09 PM

I have to say, the scene at the end with the two of them in bed? That was a horribly lit and/or executed scene. Violet looked AWFUL. When the camera first panned to her, I actually thought, "Am I supposed to know who that dude is?" Then they switched to Pete and I realized, "Oh, shit, that was Violet!"

Good grief gravy! This x 1000! I FF'd thru it at first because I thought it must be an ad, I didn't recognizes the guy, then I saw Pete & RW just to see if that really was Violet. Of course then I went ahead & FF'd because it was Pete & Violet & they are always FF material for me. Geez, who hates AB in the lighting/camera/effects department? That was horrendous! I don't think AB's a luminous beauty but she is attractive, not the butt ugly that scene turned her into.

Edited by ramble, May 16, 2012 @ 12:10 PM.

Palomar

Palomar

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:17 PM

I still keep thinking that Addison is going to end up pregnant.

Sure hope Addison sticks to "it's too late" with Sam and that her happiness and saying she now has everything she wanted isn't due to her accepting Sam's proposal.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Can Amelia stop treating Sheldon like dog crap after their last scene together? That would be nice.

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

So I'm back to the question... Why am I still watching this crap?

It's an addiction. A sick, crazy addiction. At least that's my excuse. <wink wink>

Can Amelia stop treating Sheldon like dog crap after their last scene together? That would be nice.

THIS! I wish I could find someone like Sheldon.

Charlotte/Mason were the best parts of the episode. Amelia holding her son broke was heart-wrenching. The rest was blah. I'm totally over the Sam/Addison/Jake triangle. Addison please pick Henry!

ChelseaMcQ

ChelseaMcQ

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

From TVLine:

Question: How many episodes was Private Practice renewed for? And is next season the show’s last? —Karen
Ausiello: TVLine’s Matt Mitovich made it a point to clear up any confusion and spoke to ABC prez Paul Lee at the network’s upfront soiree. Lee confirmed that yes, Private was renewed for just 13 episodes — for now — but he added that this is not necessarily the final season. Speaking of Shonda shows, Lee noted that Scandal, which aired just seven episodes in Season 1, will be back for 13 — maybe more, but very likely just that amount, since Rhimes seemed to like the shorter, State of Play-style schedule/pacing.

CleoCaesar

CleoCaesar

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

The baby squeaking was incredibly sad. And I loved Charlotte and Mason. I couldn't stand Charlotte the first couple of seasons, but now she is the best character they have. (Huge props to KDS for that.)

Ugh, Sam. Yes, Taye Diggs has an adorable smile but I still want Sam off my screen.

HappyBerry

HappyBerry

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

Amelia's baby was sad, but didn't really provoke a strong emotional reaction out of me. Charlotte on the other hand, her face when Mason said he'd like to call her Mama...the tears started flowing. I've always liked the character of Charlotte, and she just seems to be getting better and better. Even when they've softened her up, I never doubt that bitch Charlotte is ready to come out when she needs to, she just no longer feels has a reason to be angry at the whole world all the time.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

I cried when Amelia held the baby and he made those gasping sounds. Really loved the Mason/Charlotte scene. I hope that they continue to show this relationship next season. I could care less about the rest of the episode.

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

As much as Amelia works my nerves, Caterina can always break my heart when she cries. I think she's one of the best criers on television.

I want Pete to go to prison. No, I NEED Pete to go to prison. What a vile, self-righteous bastard he is. When Cooper said that they were alike that reminded me of how Cooper stole that one family's cord blood. Yes, Cooper, you and Pete are very much alike. You are both sociopaths.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

As much as I did not like the the Amelia/anencephaly storyline, Caterina Scorsone got me crying, especially when the baby started making those gasping sounds. My heart broke for heart. And a sick part of me laughed when she told Sheldon not to come any further unless he wanted to see her big maternity panties (probably because I myself am in big maternity panties right now and told my husband the same thing at an appointment yesterday).

Is there any way we can send Pete BACK to jail? I hate him, I don't really like Violet and I kind of wish we could send them both there (harsh, I know). I LOVED Charlotte's face when Mason said he would call her momma and saying to Cooper about how much she loves him. I love that she is allowed herself to be surprised and she is my favorite character just for how much growth she has shown.

Addy/Sam/Jake- ugh. Addy and Sam, stop beating the dead horse. Either make it legit or don't. I like Jake. I think him and Addy have good chemistry.