Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?: Burnett and Foxworthy Together At Last

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

419 replies to this topic

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

He didn't know one single answer except the woodpecker one, and he wasn't even certain on that one. I thought this set of questions was particularly easy. If they had a better contestant, they almost certainly would have had a pretty good shot at much bigger money.

I mean, proper nouns? What state is north of California? These people must not study at all before going on this show.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2008 @ 12:12 PM

The producers aren't anxious to give out lots of money and know that viewers like to feel smarter than the contestant, at least once in a while. I think they've been pushing it a bit lately; if the contestant is too academically challenged, you don't get to the answers that viewers can feel good about knowing.

michigander

michigander

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2008 @ 9:26 PM

Are schools not teaching US Geography anymore? First there was the contestant who didn't seem to know of a single city in Arkansas and now this contestant didn't know what state borders northern California.

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 30, 2008 @ 12:17 PM

I presume the contestants were not from around those places; it can take time to dredge up what is, for a particular person, trivia learned 20+ years ago, and they're under pressure. If it was a Californian than couldn't come up with Oregon, that's just sad, even if the producers are going out of their way to find contestants like that.

24addict

24addict

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 17, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

My son asked tonight,and I didn't know the answer--how much money has been won on this show? Has anyone won a million?

mookiestarz

mookiestarz

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2008 @ 12:09 PM

I don't think anyone has won the million. I've missed the last 2 or 3 shows so I am not sure about that. I've seen people get up to 500,000 and drop out there in order to keep it. I've also seen people get up to 500,00 and go for the million and lose.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Jul 25, 2008 @ 1:10 PM

No one has won the million. Last night I was floored when the contestant, a teacher, had zero clue of what country Canberra was the capital (this would have given him $250k with one cheat left).

Then, when he dropped out and guessed Pakistan (WTF?) they showed Mackenzie's answer "Australia". His principal was in the audience and said, "I don't know the answer, but I do know it's not Australia." Jeff Foxworthy had the biggest grin on his face when he said that he loved that the principal said it was definitely not Australia because, in fact, the correct answer was Australia. Heh.

MoreRidonkulous

MoreRidonkulous

Fanatic

Posted Sep 5, 2008 @ 7:28 PM

Kathy Ireland does NOT look 45.

Not that you can't see lots of lines around her face, but she looks pretty okay for her age.

pk124

pk124

Fanatic

Posted Sep 6, 2008 @ 4:12 PM

Glad to see someone finally win the million, but I don't know why they gave it away in all of the previews.

myintermail

myintermail

Fanatic

• Interests:Drawing, Reading, Photography, Travel, Music, Computer Games and of course watching TV!

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 3:52 AM

For what it's worth, I have to admit this is possibly one of my guilty pleasures. Yes there are so many knollish things happened throughout the show (contestants, the kids, the format), but I happened to grow some interest to even enjoy watching it.

The kids (especially the 1st cast) won me over by their cheeky personalities. Spencer always comes up something witty when he was answering the questions.

Not the best game show we have seen, but at least it makes me realize that we forget what we have learned in the past and makes me want to pick up a book and read.

RBK Premier

RBK Premier

Fanatic

Posted Sep 8, 2008 @ 9:58 AM

Glad to see someone finally win the million, but I don't know why they gave it away in all of the previews.

I don't know why they did that either. It took all the suspense out of it.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2008 @ 3:39 PM

the male moron twins made that episode intolerable. Their constant hooting , hollering and self congradulations were even more than usual the producers seem to love douchbags. I swear that if the question was 1+1= ? and they got the answer right with '2' they would be bumping chests, slapping five and running through the audience.

24addict

24addict

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 11:21 AM

So what did everyone think of Ken Jennings? Is it evil that I wanted him to go for the million dollar question and lose?

jcpdiesel21

jcpdiesel21

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 4:35 PM

I generally don't care for this show, but I had to watch when I saw that Ken Jennings was going to be on. He was a lot of fun to watch, and his little boy Dylan is super adorable. I don't think that it took Ken nearly as long as it looked to come up with some of those answers; he knows so much that the producers most likely told him to stall to stir up the drama a bit.

I kind of wish that Ken had gone for the million dollar question (I loved his comment about the mesmerizing dollar signs, hee), but it seemed like having the "winningest" game show contestant title back was more important to him, and half a million dollars was a pretty nice prize. Now Dylan can get that playroom!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

It was a play house. I assume he and his sister already have a playroom.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2008 @ 12:33 PM

I really wish Ken had gone for the million. The guy is KNOWN for answering difficult game show questions. And then he turns it down. If that's the only reason you're famous, then you have to take the chance.

Heck- if he had gotten it wrong, maybe he could have worked out another commercial deal, and since he would have gotten it right- that's half a million more.

Remlab

Remlab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2008 @ 11:14 PM

Since no one's posted it, and I think its kinda funny, here is Ken's take on his appearance on the show.

It starts out talking about something else, but he does go into the show, how long he took to answer the questions, and the million dollar question.

Edited by Remlab, Oct 26, 2008 @ 11:17 PM.

Kingtut

Kingtut

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2008 @ 2:31 AM

That was a really interesting read, thank you Remlab.

Remlab

Remlab

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2008 @ 9:51 AM

No problem Kingtut. I read Ken's blog all the time because its surprisingly funny most of the time.

mikemedeiros

mikemedeiros

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2008 @ 3:18 PM

Interesting coincidence from the Celtics fan episode: The last question that he dropped out on was about "Moby Dick" and the Celtics cheerleader who was by his side at the time was from New Bedford Ma. which is where the novel was set.

Allie303

Allie303

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2008 @ 2:03 PM

Ken Jennings was on this show???

How could I miss that, I love Ken! I can't believe even he did not win 1 million.

MarleysGh0st

MarleysGh0st

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2008 @ 3:32 PM

Allie, the episode with Ken Jennings, like all the 5th Grader episodes, can be seen on Hulu.com.

And Ken didn't win the $1 million because the rules of the game, requiring you to commit to answering the question before seeing what it is, makes that a risk most people are unwilling to take. Sure, most of those questions turn out to be relatively easy, but you can't tell when they'll ask something totally obscure. It's better to go for the easy $500,000.

michigander

michigander

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2009 @ 8:29 AM

Is this show ever coming back?

bonnie77

bonnie77

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2009 @ 6:14 AM

Was that "cougar" on Friday night's show for real or was she a plant? The reason I ask is because I googled her name just out of curiosity, and I found out that her name, Veronica Lodge, is the same name as the character Veronica from the Archie comics. I didn't know the character's last name before. Also, one of the sites I read about the comic said that the characters are known for being "ageless". This women did not seem old enough to have a 27 year old child. So, I'm wondering if that was her real name or a stage name. I don't need to know her real name or anything, just wondering if she's an actress or something. She didn't seem like someone they just randomly picked to be on the show.

Edited by bonnie77, Jul 5, 2009 @ 7:10 AM.

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Jul 5, 2009 @ 11:05 AM

Yeah, that did seem weird. Also, what happened to Olivia? She got replaced by Kimberlee (?) I think, but in the classroom shots, they kept showing pictures of the class including Olivia.

Run Forest Run

Run Forest Run

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2009 @ 11:43 AM

Saw the 1/2 hour daytime format on Friday - it was great! Pacing was nice and quick, the prize awarding format was way more interesting, and nice to see that a contestant could get a question wrong and keep going, although they started back at $0. My son plays the video game on his DS, but the primetime show was too slow and didn't hold his attention. He didn't have school on Friday, and now wants me to record it for him so he can see it after school today.

pandora spock

pandora spock

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

I saw the celebrity contestant on Friday, Giuliana Rancic. What in the hell is she famous for besides looking like a living Bratz doll?

Humans have three pairs of chromosomes? Really, Giuliana?

raceguy120390

raceguy120390

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2009 @ 3:16 AM

Cancelled in Australia after one episode. Shame, really. I was enjoying it so much more than our local version.

KYBlonde

KYBlonde

Fanatic

• Interests:Snarking on TWoP

Posted May 6, 2010 @ 4:27 PM

I think the title of the show should be changed from "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" to "Can You Recall Random Facts from 20-30 Years Ago That These Kids Learned Last Week??"

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Jun 23, 2010 @ 2:34 PM

Oh, come on KYBlonde, but that would go against every single show on TV that lets us all know that kids are oh so precocious and always smarter than their TV parents./sarcasm.