Terror of the Zygons

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

17 replies to this topic

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Feb 18, 2007 @ 12:20 AM

Just finished up this arc tonight on our PBS channel. I really enjoyed it. It made me rather squee to recognize that this was the Loch Ness monster episode referenced in "School Reunion".

There was plenty of Heroic!Doctor, and Sarah Jane and Harry were both useful, too. And the Brigadier was cool as ever. I love that he wore a kilt.

And it was funny that a quarry was used here as - a quarry. Heh.

I must say, though, that the Zygons' voices are really annoyingly hard to understand. Sort of like the Ice Warriors - that whispering through the costumes is not a good idea. The Loch Ness Monster itself was not very impressive, but I guess it could have been worse, in terms of effects.

But all in all, very enjoyable. Sorry to see Harry go, but I know it's not his last appearance.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Feb 18, 2007 @ 1:45 PM

I love the Zygon design myself and never had a hard time understanding them. I also love the organic quality of their ship. Both they and the ship look really good for the time. Alas, the Loch Ness Monster, the Skarasan, is really bad, so frozen and fake looking. Broton was a particularly effective villain both disguised as the Duke and otherwise. It was fun seeing the Brig in a kilt.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2007 @ 8:29 PM

I have been watching this story the past couple of days. I still have one more episode to go, but so far, it has been great. I would like to see the Zygons make an appearance in the new episodes. They are creepy villians.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted Feb 27, 2007 @ 9:35 PM

I enjoyed this arc quite a bit. The organic look of the Zygons' ship was pretty cool, as was the area where the humans that they were disguising themselves as were kept (whoa, did that sentence make sense?). I did find them a bit hard to understand, because of the whispering - also, the fact that our dorm room TV is tiny and has bad speakers probably doesn't help.

Harry is cool. Sarah is cool, of course.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2007 @ 8:34 AM

Heh! I just had a month of my nephew lecturing me. He was desperate to see the monster.

Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hippos, Classical Singing, Shopping

Posted Mar 7, 2007 @ 3:35 PM

"Terror of the Zygons" also had one of the best musical scores going. Geoffrey Burgon's music was haunting and otherworldly.

marina to

marina to

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2008 @ 5:18 PM

Just saw this one - my first four adventure. Was pleased to see both Sarah Jane and the Brigadier after hearing so much about them. This was a compelling story which was well acted. Too bad the monster didn't quite work, but I was amazed at how well the very basic effects otherwise came together. So this was the last time we see Harry?

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 8:49 AM

No he's in one more story the Android Invasion. I think the effects are probably quite good for the seventies.

Edited by kwynne38, Feb 19, 2008 @ 8:50 AM.

fredfreddy

fredfreddy

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:11 PM

I don't blame Harry for staying behind: he got shot in the head, kidnapped, alien impersonated, and knocked out at least twice. I might stay home after that as well.

Cygnia

Cygnia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:25 PM

The Zygons ended up appearing in one of the more recent DW novels with Ten. It's actually not bad.

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2008 @ 6:26 AM

Surely its time for the Zygons to appear in the new series I think they would fit right in, it was mentioned in this story and/or the tie in book that there other ships out in space somewhere, one of those ships could be involved. Though I expect we would have to wait until S5 in 2010.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 4:05 AM

I've only just got to see this episode for the first time - oh, how I wish this one was out on DVD! And that it had been released in time for Lis Sladen and/or Nicholas Courtney to record a commentary for it. It had me hooked from the moment the Tardis trio appeared on-screen, with Harry wearing the Doctor's trademark scarf! This is my all-time favourite Tardis team and I just wish they'd stayed together longer...although I can understand why Harry chose to stay at home as soon as he got the chance. It wasn't even as if he'd actually agreed to the trip in the first place, the Doctor tricked him into the Tardis to prove a point. He worked so well with both the Doctor and Sarah, though, it's a real shame. At least Ian Marter got the chance to really show a little of what he could do in the scene where he was playing the doppelganger, menacing Sarah!

I was impressed at how gritty this story was - we tend not to think of Doctor Who in the mid-70s being a show that would allow a regular character to get shot in the head! And as alien menaces go, the Zygons worked surprisingly well - I loved the design both of their bodies and their ship, so organic. The hissing, whispery voices worked for me, as well, even if I did have to strain a little to follow the dialogue - it helped reinforce that impression of them as amphibious aliens.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 11:41 AM

I just can't understand why this one isn't on DVD yet. It is one of my favorite stories for all the reasons mentioned. Also, I love the moment between the Doctor and the Brigadier when the Doctor's getting all persnickety about why the Brigadier called him back: "Oil an emergency?..." and the Brigadier shuts him down with "do you want more men to die?" I must admit I love the relationship between the Doctor and the Brigadier, perhaps especially when they disagree.

Really the Zygons deserve a come back. They did look really good, even if the Skarasen didn't.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Oh, the Doctor and the Brigadier together are absolute gold. I sometimes struggle with the UNIT stories as they can drag a bit at times, but this one rattles along at a fair pace, and all the character beats work for me. The Brigadier gets to stride around issuing orders and blowing things up, Benton runs around rallying the troops, Sarah does her investigative journalist thing, Harry gets to actually do his job and be a doctor, rushing to the aid of the injured (getting himself shot in the process) and the Doctor is, well, the Doctor. I also like that Harry gets to save the Doctor's life (while a prisoner and still concussed from his head injury - and no one ever knew that he'd done it, either), while Sarah then gets to rescue Harry. It's all very reciprocal and circular, so that everyone gets the chance to be a hero.

Plus, the Doctor gets the human hostages off the Zygon spacecraft by setting off the fire alarm. What's not to love about that?!

Edited by Indeg, Nov 11, 2011 @ 4:20 PM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2011 @ 6:09 PM

I just can't understand why this one isn't on DVD yet.

The BBC are trying to avoid the situation they had with the videos,, where the fan favourites and well regarded stories were released first, and then the last couple of years of the range saw nothing but bad stories released, and the sales tanked. The idea with the DVDs is to mix up the dross and the gold, so that people will keep buying until the end. I'm looking forward to this story on DVD, but I am a little worried that the RT will offer an option to replace the Skarason with a cgi insert, as they did with Ark in Space and Kinda. I like the Skarason we see here - I know it killed dozens of people, but it looks so placid that I expect it to moo as it roams the moors. It's sweet!

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2011 @ 9:28 AM

I just can't understand why this one isn't on DVD yet.

HauntedBathroom is absolutely right. I do believe this one sees the light of day in late 2012 or early 2013.

Edited by WAnglais1, Nov 22, 2011 @ 9:28 AM.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 2:58 AM

The BBFC has this week passed a whole bunch of extras for Terror of the Zygons - including a 'director's cut' of episode one - implying that a release might finally be just around the corner, most likely Jan 2013.

Apparently there was an opening scene featuring Four, Sarah and Harry exiting the Tardis that was filmed, went through post-prod, but was then cut at the last minute for technical reasons - speculation is that this has been found and re-inserted for the director's cut. That would be awesome, if true - a whole new never before scene of Tom, Lis and Ian!

Edited by Indeg, Aug 3, 2012 @ 3:00 AM.

Indeg

Indeg

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 15, 2012 @ 2:29 AM

Isn't that what I just said above? ;-)

The commentary for the DVD has also been passed by the BBFC. No news of a release date yet, though - hopefully sooner rather than later now.