Adult Swim: The Network that Hates You

• Please log in to reply

2559 replies to this topic

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 1:52 AM

Thought there should be a thread for general [Adult Swim] talk.

I'm wondering what impact the resignation of the Cartoon Network president will have on [AS]?

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 7:31 AM

I'm just going to edit the subject to make it search-friendly.

Also, please remove all anime from AS and place it in a special mylar bag that can be shot into the sun.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 9:05 AM

Glark, you are horrible! Have you even watched a full episode of any anime that aired on [as]? Jesus, that was cruel. Do I fill TWoP with my hatred of Futurama needlessly? No... (J/K ;-))

And there probably won't be much of an impact (of a new CN president) on CN/[as]... Unless, you know, they actually enjoyed animation (period) and could provide a decent schedule without egregious reruns.

I can't imagine they'd do anything to improve/police [as], but Toonami (also by WS) is another story.

manticoraus

manticoraus

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 9:08 AM

Huh? All anime? I mean they've had their dogs but I don't get the cool to hate on AS attitude. FMA, GitS:SAC, Bleach, and etc are good shows with strong followings and fine adaptations. Shin Chan and Milk Chan are not good. Neither was Pilot Canidate but Cowboy Bebop is gold, even if more antique than freshly minted nowadays, and sharing the joy of Lupin isn't a crime. There are some shows that just wouldn't help but suck if they weren't broadcasted as to requiring money to get at four. episodes. 25 dollars. a. disc. Plus no one is telling me Paranoia Agent belongs in the sun

Edited by manticoraus, Feb 15, 2007 @ 9:09 AM.

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 10:54 AM

Oh come on, not all Anime makes me want to rub glass into my eyes. Only most of it.

I do miss the 2004-2005(?) action bumps. Overall the quality of the bumps has been declining, I think.

I can't imagine they'd do anything to improve/police [as], but Toonami (also by WS) is another story.

Care to expound on that? I'm a geek for TV management gossip.

Edited by MrBananaGrabber, Feb 15, 2007 @ 10:58 AM.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:02 PM

I do miss the 2004-2005(?) action bumps. Overall the quality of the bumps has been declining, I think.

If you feel nostalgic, I recommend visiting BumpWorthy. They have a collection of [as] bumps, past and present.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:06 PM

Care to expound on that? I'm a geek for TV management gossip.

Well, there's not much to say about it. Its just seems as though CN is in a position that exerts more control over Toonami (a block on CN) than [as] (a mini network that's on the same channel).

If WS/[as] got in trouble with CN, then CN couldn't do that much to [as], [as] is its own separate entity. But CN could certainly screw with Miguzi and Toonami behind the scenes, if need be. Both Toonami and Miguzi are apart of CN, and any events that occur with Toonami (it's tenth anniversary in March) could be axed or sabotoged.

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:07 PM.

Anthrophile

Anthrophile

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

As long as they never show me another live-action Pee Wee Playhouse or Saved by the Bell, we'll be cool.

The Real Nemo

The Real Nemo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:31 PM

Also, please remove all anime from AS and place it in a special mylar bag that can be shot into the sun.

That's funny, I feel the same way about all the non-anime shows on AS. Just a matter of preference for me though... :p

Gharlane

Gharlane

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:32 PM

Praise Jebus! Anime is so 1990's.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:52 PM

HAhahahaha.... that being said... I do enjoy FMA a lot, and I've grown to like Bleach. The rest.... zippit and shipit!

Saved by the Bell

OMG, from your keyboard to Mike Lazzo's eyes...

Praise Jebus!

When Jebus was president he ate babies all the time!

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

Isn't that trolling?!? You were trying to make me cry, weren't you?

My problem with [adult swim] is not so much the programming, as the unprofessional and non-viewer-friendly way they go about their programming day. Starting shows anywhere from three minutes before or after the scheduled time, making it tough to properly record things? Changing the schedule haphazardly, and rarely getting the information to cable/satellite systems in time? Rerunning a series, and stopping it midway because they want to put something else on? All these things just make me want to pull my hair out and scream at the TV.

They have threatened before to do away with the bumps entirely. I think they're tired of the work involved. For me, that was one of the things I liked about the channel when I first started to watch. It seemed fresh, and a more intimate involvement with the viewer than is typical on a TV network.

And their ever-changing, never-improving crappy website? Don't get me started.

Edited by Orion7, Feb 15, 2007 @ 1:48 PM.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 3:01 PM

Toonami (it's tenth anniversary in March)

WHAT?! Thats insane. Man do I feel old.

MrBananaGrabber

MrBananaGrabber

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:33 PM

Thanks Nagurikorosu, I didn't realize how much autonomy [AS] has.

And word to everything Orion 7 says. Seriously, how long has their web-store been down? Do they not like money?

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:34 PM

Yep, I feel old too. But the 17th of March, Toonami is going to be doing something (if the 3.17.2007 promo is any indication).

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:35 PM.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:19 PM

The thread title is apt, because that is the attitude that oozes throughout their website, their scheduling, and their bumps. There's a "We're so cool, why are you losers watching us because you can't possibly understand what we're doing," tone to almost everything.

mrow

mrow

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:26 PM

I kind of have a love hate relationship with Adult Swim. They experiment, but sometime they produce things I just don't like. I liked Venture Brothers, but I didn't like Tom goes to the mayor. Obviously the only answer to this problem is for Adult Swim to continue experimenting, but to only produce things that I enjoy.

I consider this a completely reasonable demand, and not crazy talk of epic proportions.

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:42 PM

There's a "We're so cool, why are you losers watching us because you can't possibly understand what we're doing," tone to almost everything.

And, really, they're not that cool.

Their hostile attitude towards viewers is mindboggling. I can understand [as] being snarky with some of the idiot comments left on their website, but they seem to enjoy making fun of people who support them.

Don't get me started on the Big O finale fiasco, and the party [as] was throwing at the time. At least they seemed chagrinned in the aftermath.

Oh, and while we're talking about the crappy website, let's not forget The Fix. Old School Fix was awesome. You knew the shows would be up on schedule, and the player* actually worked. Now, we've got The Fix Beta, which may or may not work, and you don't know when they're going to pull down shows. Forget about any explanations as to why. The only good thing about the new Fix is that some primiering shows are up for the entire week. Oh, did I mention that when I switch to a full screen, it's not truly a full screen? In fact, it's so small that the top and bottom portions of the screen get cropped off.

*With apologies to Mac users, who only were able to use the Fix recently. You mean to tell me they didn't have web administrators smart enough to make the Fix Mac friendly? Oh, wait. There are [as] board users smarter than them, who can hack into [as's] parent site and get access to videos. I find that hilarious.

Despite all of my problems with the network, I'm extremely happy that it exists.

Edited by the fresh maker, Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:43 PM.

mangaqueen

mangaqueen

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:49 PM

As long as they don't get rid of Bleach, they're cool with me.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 6:24 PM

I wonder if Betty the senior synchronized swimmer eventually got the routine right.

Pat Agonia

Pat Agonia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 6:45 PM

Shin Chan and Milk Chan are not good.

Shin Chan is hilarious. Really, it's as much as home among the comedy shows as it is the anime shows. (Considering some of the lesser comedy shows, that could be taken the wrong way.)

Oh, and considering the quality of the likes of Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop, not to mention that there's nowhere else they'd be able to air outside of pay or digital cable, keep the guillotine away from the anime part of the block.

ParasiteTwin

ParasiteTwin

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 7:04 PM

I was actually able to view the Fix on my Mac (with Firefox) before November. It didn't work very well, but still, I was glad that it worked. Imagine my shock and dismay when I went to the Fix one day and came upon that damn mini-Fix version. At least they finally fixed the compatibility issue, but I do miss the Old School version.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 7:33 PM

Oh, and considering the quality of the likes of Paranoia Agent and Cowboy Bebop, not to mention that there's nowhere else they'd be able to air outside of pay or digital cable, keep the guillotine away from the anime part of the block.

Seriously. Outside of ATHF and a few others, the anime (for the most part, definetely not counting Inuyasha) is a hell of a lot better than the other WS originals (How do Tim and Eric continue to get chances from Adult Swim?)

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 9:12 PM

Dear [adult swim],

Yes, I'm sure you think you are cutting edge. Yes, you might not pander to what your faithful audience whats, but good for you! Way to stick it to those people who are willing to watch you every night, and who are responsible for the revival of two-canceled-before-their-time shows. Who do those punks think they are anyway? And we concede that you are far to hip and trendy to actually acturately tell us when our shows are airing.

But, oh dear [adult swim] the network that is so uncool it swings to cool, back to uncool and ends up right back at cool again, I was wondering, if you are not too busy mocking us scumfilled pussbags of fans, will you please, seeing as you are on Cartoon Network, make sure your shows are actually cartoons!? No matter how po-mo they are.

Thank you,

jedicaboose.

blank stare

blank stare

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

They'd probably respond to that with a bump of Inignot flipping the bird. That's probably one of their canned responses.

As long as they never show me another live-action Pee Wee Playhouse or Saved by the Bell, we'll be cool.

That would've been understandable as an April Fool's prank but someone at [as] must have thought it was funny enough to continue for weeks. Probably the same guy who wants to show Tim and Eric's Awesome Show.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 11:56 PM

They'd probably respond to that with a bump of Inignot flipping the bird. That's probably one of their canned responses.

Maybe not anymore, seeing how it bombed in Boston.

rexbanner

rexbanner

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 12:15 AM

Sadly we might not see much more of Ignignokt shooting the bird, which makes me sad. But that flip-off cost them quite a bit of cash, and the head of the network his job, so probably not.

Adult Swim does seem to enjoy mocking their viewers for being dolts or just deliberately antagonizing them in their little promo talks, I don't know what that's about. I love almost all of their stuff, except Tom Goes to the freaking Mayor, which I did watch with an open mind. And, ah, anime, don't care for that, though seemingly I am in the minority on that.

Nagurikorosu

Nagurikorosu

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 12:42 AM

I would say you're in the majority as for not caring for anime. I will never, for the life of me, understand why the shit and trash that makes up [as] comedies is so damn popular. Or funny.

Yeah, some of the Action and Comedy anime may not have been grade A material... But [as] Comedy is equally as crappy and boring as any of the "bad" anime. And a hell of a lot uglier....

There's no way to convince me anything outside of Venture Brothers or Futurama is entertaining or funny on [as] Comedy.

Edited by Nagurikorosu, Feb 16, 2007 @ 12:44 AM.

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 1:34 AM

Their hostile attitude towards viewers is mindboggling. I can understand [as] being snarky with some of the idiot comments left on their website, but they seem to enjoy making fun of people who support them.

It's worked pretty well for the Carnegie Deli over the years.

Orion7

Orion7

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 4:10 AM

It's worked pretty well for the Carnegie Deli over the years.

But that's like street theater, with the audience/customers in on the joke. The [as] attitude seems to be to despise the hand that feeds them.

Don't get me started on the Big O finale fiasco, and the party [as] was throwing at the time. At least they seemed chagrinned in the aftermath.

Oh, God, I'd forgotten that. Their response to that mistake showed a corporate culture that also surfaced during the ATHF promotion that just happened. They were smugly congratulating themselves with how funny it was to make such a mistake, and then scrambling to cover their asses once it sunk in that people were genuinely upset.

Another thing that puzzles me is their reluctance to cross-promote the Action/Anime offerings during the comedy block. Comedy gets plenty of exposure during the anime, but I almost never see a promo for anime air in the comedy time. Yet they complain about the ratings for the anime.

Edited by Orion7, Feb 16, 2007 @ 4:11 AM.