• Please log in to reply

5380 replies to this topic

Jayelle

Jayelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 12:29 PM

Okay, so maybe I don't like Kennedy.

I love Season 6.

I think Andrew is hilarious and the redeeming quality about Season Seven.

...discuss.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 12:31 PM

I like Kennedy, and think that she was needed as a pushy potential. I wasn't overly excited about her being drapped casually over Willow in every scene, but Kennedy? Not a bad gal.

Andrew makes me laugh, and after Season Six, I needed that. I loved Storyteller!

And I never liked Oz... (prepares to be stoned to death)

Oh, and I despise *everything* about Drusilla!

Edited by Erratic, Feb 9, 2007 @ 12:49 PM.

wwhk

wwhk

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 1:48 PM

And I never liked Oz... (prepares to be stoned to death)

I, an Oz-lover, won't stone you- but why don't you like him? I can't stone, because I have many unpopular opinions.

I didn't feel the Bangel romance should have ended after Season 2. Actually, I loved the Bangel romance more in Season 3 than in the lead up to Surprise throughout Season 1 and 2. The fact that she loved him even after seeing him at his worst was tremendously emotionally affecting for me.

I can't stand Tara. I find her hypocritical, boring, poorly acted, not funny, and a total Mary Sue. Plus, the Willow/Tara relationship was weird and unhealthy from its origins. They could sugar coat with all the kitty-cats and baby-talk, Tara loved Willow for her magical power and built in friends- and Willow had a slavish neediness for Tara. Plus the lack of chemistry and baby-talk cast a shadow over AH's acting, even though I find her extraordinary in pretty much every other context on or off Buffy.

I loved Xander/Anya. It is probably one of my favorite ships. I realize that it had problems, and Anya was an unrepentant ex-demon. However, it was so funny and chemistry filled that I couldn't help but have fun watching it. I also think it made Xander look quite mature to love her and want to care for her, while still pointing out that some of the things she was doing were wrong.

Although Giles's love for Buffy is the most powerful and obvious, I strongly believed that Giles loved Willow and to a lesser extent, Xander. The love that Giles has for all three Scoobs is possibly the most affecting, poignant aspect of the show- that's all to often ignored.

I always seperate Season 1-5 Willow and Seasons 6-7 Willow. I'm sorry but I don't see how tricking Cordelia into drinking sour lemonade or having a vampire double who's actually *gasp* evil indicates that a few years later a sweet, bright, moral, supportive girl will turn into a mind-wiping, deceitful, pathetic, evil junkie bitch.* Perhaps if her dark magic was written much better, I could buy it. But I don't even have it in my personal canon, considering it's catastrophe.

*Wow. That was a run-on, awkward sentence. Tends to happen when I get upset.

Edited by wwhk, Feb 9, 2007 @ 1:48 PM.

gadzooks

gadzooks

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 2:09 PM

Still Hate Kennedy with a fiery passion (tho' I've revised my opinion of Connor on Ats).

Ambivalent about Andrew, but liked 'Storyteller' a lot. Loved, amongst other things, the opening tribute to the 'storyteller-in-the-smoking-jacket-and-wingback-chair-introducing-the-creepy-tale-in-a book-lined-study' motif. ( Don't know if you read those Erratic? - the British 'June' comics used that archetypal character) Can see why many would hate Andrew tho' and think Jonathan got the short (hee) straw.

Liked Oz and loved Dru, or more accurately Landau's portrayal, and Benz's Darla.

From what I can gather 'CWDP' was well-received initially but seems to have fallen from grace. Is liking it a popular or unpopular opinion?

Okay, so maybe I don't like Kennedy.

Sneaky!

gal

gal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 2:40 PM

I don't think much of Alyson Hannigan's acting skills. I think she's alright, perfectly competant and actively good at the comedy side of things but I think she is dreadful at dramatic scenes and just shouldn't have been given any.

I think Amber Benson was the worst actor in the cast by some distance. I wanted to like Tara but she ruined the character for me by portraying her as a not particularly alert stoner.

I really like Buffy as a character. I don't think she's a selfish bitca at all.

I like Beer Bad. I think it's funny. Particularly enjoy Cave!Buffy's interactions with Willow, Xander and Giles. "Don't make Cave Slayer unhappy!" Hee.

I really like Season 1. It may even be my favourite season, I think it was beautifully crafted as a whole.

Edited by gal, Feb 9, 2007 @ 2:44 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 2:41 PM

Aside from the relationship with Willow, apparently brought about entirely because Joss didn't want to end the show with every major character single, I didn't mind Kennedy. I felt really bad for Iyari Limon while watching S7; she lands a role aboard a very popular show, only to be stuck with a character that the hardcore fans are sure to hate. She really did the best she could trying to sell Kennedy's attraction to Willow (those flirty faces in that Bronze scene were pretty cute, I thought) but there was just no way she was going to be accepted.

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 2:42 PM

Let's see: I didn't like Killed by Death. A bad Freddy Krueger villain and the Xander staredown of Angelus in the hospital didn't work.

I didn't like Gingerbread. Bookburning bad. Check. Mob mentality not good. Check. Whew. If they hadn't told me that, I'd be rousing rabble to attack puppies. Thanks for saving me from that.

I did enjoy Beer Bad. It was funny and one of the most subversive PSAs I've seen. "Foamy." "Its beer." "Don't make Caveslayer angry."

And perhaps the biggest unpopular opinion (certainly on this board) -- I liked all seven seasons, including season 7. So there.

Jayelle

Jayelle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:09 PM

I feel like this is a confessional...

I love Tara's corsety dress in OMWF.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:14 PM

I liked Dawn. I know, get out. I especially liked S7 Dawn, I thought the character grew into herself well.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

I never really liked Buffy. She had her moments when I thought, "Oh, that was nice/cool/strong/selfless", but for the most part, (even in Season One), I thought that she was self-involved and whiny.

rachna78

rachna78

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:31 PM

I liked season 6, even evil willow.

I HATED Dru.

I hate spike and want him staked :)

wwhk

wwhk

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:32 PM

I never liked "Hush" or "The Body." I didn't like Hush because dialogue is one of my favorite aspects of Buffy- and most TV that I watch (case in point- my sticking by Aaron Sorkin even after he's gone downhill). I thought "The Body" was overwrought, melodramatic, and took too long for what they had in it. The performances of the entire cast were excellent, but the writing was empty.

However, I liked "Inca Mummy Girl" and loved "Amends." Inca Mummy Girl was excellent, cheesy fun- an important part of Buffy. I loved that Ampata was a somewhat sympathetic villain with interesting parallels to Buffy. The episode has sparkling dialogue, the first appearance of Oz, great Buffy/Giles interactions, and Willow as a cutest Inuit ever.

Amends is one of my favorites. To be sure the "miracle snow" was overwrought. However, there are so many touching, poignant scenes in the episode. Angel being taunted by his victims was brilliant and the first time I was struck by DB's acting when he wasn't playing Angelus. The Willoz scenes were all kinds of cute and romantic, and the Bangel dream scenes were all kinds of twisted and romantic ;) Best of all, was the scene between Angel and Giles. The scene is exquisitely written with Giles justifying his hate for Angel in a classy, reasoned way. Plus, I have major Tony Head love.

twwguy

twwguy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

I did enjoy Beer Bad. It was funny and one of the most subversive PSAs I've seen. "Foamy." "Its beer." "Don't make Caveslayer angry."

LOL, I agree. I loved Beer Bad...

Alright here is my dirty little secret. I actually kind of like Where the Wild Things Are, and I dont mind Biley sex. I thought the orgasm wall was great, and I thought Xander was really good in the episode (which is pretty much all it take for a good episode on my part). You may now make fun of me...

merrymisfit

merrymisfit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:33 PM

Riley was my favorite Buffy-boyfriend. Plus, I thought Marc Blucas was really hot--okay, except for when his hair looked greasy. And I didn't mind all the sex--I was happy for her! Yay for things not going horribly wrong the morning after, or the next, or the next!

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:36 PM

and Willow as a cutest Inuit ever

[nitpick]'Inuit' is the plural, and simply means 'The People' in Inuktitut; 'Inuk' is the singular.[/nitpick]

Riley was my favorite Buffy-boyfriend

Wow!

I actually kind of like Where the Wild Things Are, and I dont mind Biley sex. ~twwguy

Coming from *you* "Wow!" to infinity!

Edited by Erratic, Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:38 PM.

merrymisfit

merrymisfit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:41 PM

It's true, Riley warms my poor Spuffy-overloaded heart. There's an opinion essay somewhere online called "Captain America" about Riley, and it touches on a lot of the reasons I loved them together. I'll try to find a link for it. Wait, I just did. Captain America
Well, after re-reading it just now, it doesn't really defend their relationship, just his character. But still, in order for them as a couple to have validity, so does his character alone.

Edited by merrymisfit, Feb 9, 2007 @ 3:46 PM.

Gaymo2

Gaymo2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:19 PM

I was sometimes embarrassed by Tara and Willow's baby talk was the biggest turn-off ever. It made me not want to be gay now, thank you. And I realise that I should thank Joss and defend them and think they're 'OMG the greatest like, evah!'. But the more I re-watch, the more I remember my fervency in those days with shame.

And I wish Tara had been brain-sucked earlier so I didn't have to endure New Moon Rising which rates as one of my most cringe-inducing episodes ever. I was happier when Tara was pissed off because at least then she was more interesting and feisty. I hate passive people. I hated her stutter. Or, I should say, I hated the way Amber interpreted it. Blech.

I thought Spuffy was kind of hot sometimes.

I'm going to regret saying that, aren't I?

Edited by Gaymo2, Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:19 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:33 PM

I thought Spuffy was kind of hot sometimes.

I'm going to regret saying that, aren't I?

Yes!
Spuffy makes me miss Riley, and trust me, that is saying something!

New Moon Rising didn't bother me too much, with the exception of two things, one was AB's "Do what makes you H-h-happy." which is extremely cringeworthy, the second was the cheap way they ended the episode. They were going for the unambiguous "Gay Now" moment, and the dialogue went as follows:

Tara: You should be with the one you love.
Willow: I am.
Tara: You mean...?
Willow: I mean. Okay?
Tara: Oh yes.

Huh? Now obviously, we get it. But the fact that they couldn't even dialogue that they were about to get it on, coupled with the stupid blowing out of the candle drove me crazy. If you can't show any physicality because of network rules, that is fine, but to make the dialogue so stupid as to allow the Conservatives to still agree to this day that Willow and Tara were just good friends who liked candles is just plain silly.

As far as unpopular opinions, did *anyone* ever enjoy the baby talk?

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:40 PM

I really like Kendra's accent.

Anya is more interesting than Xander could ever hope to be.

merrymisfit

merrymisfit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:42 PM

I liked the pet shop story from Family.

WILLOW: "Tell me a story."
TARA: "Okay. Once upon a time, there was, um, a kitty. She was very little, and she was all alone, and nobody wanted her."
WILLOW: "This is a very upsetting story."
TARA: "Oh, oh, but it gets better. 'Cause one day the kitty was running around in the street and a man came, and swooped her up and took her to the pound. And at the pound there were lots of other kitties, and there were puppies, and some ferrets..."
WILLOW: "Were there dolphins?"
TARA: "Yes. Many dolphins at the pound."
WILLOW: "Or was there a camel?"
TARA: "There was the front of a camel. A half camel."
WILLOW: "Did the kitty get chosen by some nice people?"
TARA: "Well, now you ruined the ending."

Anything after that, or before, I agree--blecchhh. But that story appeals to me, as it always sounds like one I might have come up with on the fly.

SoniaPL

SoniaPL

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:43 PM

Riley was my favorite Buffy-boyfriend

I'm not the only one! I didn't really care one way or the other about Angel unless he was evil or on his own show and Spike I flat out didn't like, but something about Riley just worked for me.

Also I might as well state my love for Inca Mummy Girl, Teachers Pet, I Robot You Jane and Go Fish.

And I loved Kendra's accent. Well really I just loved Kendra in general.

Edited by SoniaPL, Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:51 PM.

Gaymo2

Gaymo2

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:46 PM

Willow and Tara were just good friends who liked candles

What are you saying? That they weren't???

And so I like a bit of Blondie Bear now and then. I can give it up any time I like. *sniff*

merrymisfit, you've just reminded me of the whole "Vixen" line in that scene. Now that would have been hot if Tara wasn't saying it after Willow had been doing a fair impression of a 5-year old. Brrr. Nasty.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:50 PM

I liked Spike better than Angel. I didn't have love for Angel until AtS. I hated Spuffy though.

Ohh, I enjoyed the cookie dough speech...I thought it made perfect sense.

Beer Bad rules!

merrymisfit

merrymisfit

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

Agreed, Gaymo2. Sometimes couple do get cutesy talking. Okay, fine, whatever. But it just can't be properly channeled into sexy! Right? I know this is the thread for someone to disagree with me, but I'm hoping no one will. But speaking of unpopular, I may have found the cute talk more enjoyable than the "sexy" talk, because that was usually just awkward.

And Beer Bad does rule! I laugh harder while watching it than during the more popular funny episodes (Tabula Rasa, anyone?), especially watching Buffy interact with the TV. And this dialog:
Giles: I can't believe you served Buffy that beer.
Xander: I didn't know it was evil.
Giles: But you knew it was beer.
Xander:Well, excuse me, Mr. I-spent-the-sixties-in-an-electric-Kool-Aid-funky-Satan-Groove.
Giles: It was the early seventies, and you should know better.

Such a typical, wonderful exchange between them!

Edited by merrymisfit, Feb 9, 2007 @ 4:55 PM.

Shattered

Shattered

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:01 PM

I unashamedly adore Angel. I 'ship Buffy and Angel like there's no tomorrow. I love Amends.

There, I've said it.

the hero factor

the hero factor

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:02 PM

I love Amends, and I love the magic snow.

Tara's OMWF dress is the only part of s6 I genuinely like.

I like Dawn, and my BtVS canon ends at s5. So, yeah, that means I like s5-Dawn.

Willow's gay, and I'm okay with that.

I like Beer Bad. And the Buffy/Riley sex scenes in Where the Wild Things Are don't bother me enough to detract from the rest of the ep, which I think is a pretty fun ghost story.

I loved Glory, and I think that Clare Kramer did a good job in the role.

ETA:

I unashamedly adore Angel. I 'ship Buffy and Angel like there's no tomorrow.

Me too.

Edited by the hero factor, Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:03 PM.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Season Five was my favourite season. Glory was my favourite Big Bag, and The Gift, inconsistancies and all, was the best episode of Buffy ever made.

Oh, and I hated Restless! I keep trying to enjoy it, but I can't, and it sucks as a season finale!

JerseyGirl291

JerseyGirl291

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:07 PM

I hate "Beer Bad," but I do love that Giles/Xander dialogue.

As far as unpopular episodes go, I like WtWTA and Amends. The first episode, first of all, had Giles singing. It was nice to take a Biley break for a while, and actually focus on the Scoobies, and the sex wasn't that bad. And Anya and Spike at the party was awesome. (That is the right episode, right?)

And "Amends" is fun. I too heart the Giles/Angel scene, because Giles is so awesome. The miracle snow was sweet, even if it didn't make any sort of sense at all. The only thing I didn't like about it was Xander sleeping outside (because that made me horribly sad) and Buffy's bangs.

Xanya is not a popular couple? I love them, even if they are screwed up, but they are so cute.

And season five is my favorite season too, although I sometimes (though not often) like season three more. It's just so much fun.

And out of all the episodes I've seen so far, I've never not liked Dawn, not even during "Blood Ties." I can totally understand how she feels, and she really seems like a fourteen year old girl, which isn't often portrayed on television.

Edited by JerseyGirl291, Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:09 PM.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:10 PM

I 'ship Buffy and Angel like there's no tomorrow.

I actually meant to imply that. Love Bangel and totally hope Angel ends up with the cookie. Spike just makes me laugh more.

Season Five was my favourite season. Glory was my favourite Big Bag

Mine too.

twwguy

twwguy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 5:17 PM

Season Five was my favourite season. Glory was my favourite Big Bag

I always thought that Glory was a tragic figure and that she was supposed to represent what Buffy could have been had she not had the scoobies or been the slayer (and you know...was a goddess), and in that sense, I always thought she got shortchanged as a big bad. She was a great big bad, and the only thing that keeps season 5 from being my favorite season is that seasons 3 and 2 are simply too brilliant. I too love season 5...