Skins (UK): From the Makers of "Shameless," with Teens

• Please log in to reply

2868 replies to this topic

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 2:07 PM

If there's a previous thread then I apologise but I haven't spotted one.

Two episodes in and I'm liking this series a lot. The fact that the Shameless crew are behind this reflects in the superior writing and acting.

Episode 1 was cool but Episode 2 centring on the brilliant Cassie kicked ass. I love that character. And Sid and Jal and Maxxie and possibly Chris.

lozzy

lozzy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 1:26 AM

I looked for a thread too and couldn't find one.

I just watched both episodes over the weekend and I'm loving it. Cassie is probably my favourite so far, and I like Chris and Sid too. And woah, the About a Boy kid sure grew up.

Does anyone know how many episodes there'll be?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 6:36 AM

There's nine episodes.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 6:29 PM

I am about twice as old as the target audience but I thought it was a hoot. Really funny script, completely unrealistic obviously. Sid and Cassie are endearing but oh my, the girl who plays Cassie can't act. Admittedly it is a difficult part, all that "ooh gosh pretty flowers hello sky now I'll just say something unexpectedly insightful then la la la I'm not eating wow I'm naming all the stars" dialogue. Sid is probably a really nice-looking guy under the hat and glasses combo they've Ugly Bettyed him in.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 10:40 AM

Thoughts on Episode 1 "Tony"

Tony - Nicholos Holt can certainly act. Tony is the kind of lad you wouldn't want as a friend or a boyfriend but he has a certain level of charisma that makes you see how he gets mates and laid. His treatment of Sid is pretty horrible though. Plus the lad can sing.

Michelle - Poor girl gets branded with the name Nips fro her loving boyfriend and has Sid after her tail as well. I though she was an OK character but a bit one dimensional.

Sid - I like him, I really do but it's obvious that he's set up as a fall guy who will suffer tyhe consequences of any of Tony's mad schemes, like the Mad Twatter/drug thing. Obviously the writers want you to ship him and Cassie and I have to admit they are good together.

Cassie - I like her a liot but the anorexia thing scares with how she casually arranges food and takes pills and tells people in a casual way. She's my favourite character so in the series run.

Jal - Love her. Funny and pretty sarcastic. I want to see a bit more of her. She certainly knows how to talk Tony down as well.

Chris - I like him too. He's pretty funny and his cracking on to his teacher is interesting. I bet they'll do the business halfway through the series though.

Maxxie - The most confident and not overtly camp gay teen on TV so I'm looking forward to his episode a bit more as well.

Anwar - Not as vocalised in the opening episode as others aside from the peeing incident but yeah, I like him.

Um, interesting debut episode so a 7/10. Episode 2 to be tackle in my next post.

Ashiva

Ashiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 2:33 PM

I was a bit iffy about the show based on pilot episode, but the second episode totally kicked ass, mainly because Cassie was so likable character in some weird twisted way. (I wonder if it's wrong to have a girl!crush on crazy drug addict anorexic teenage character.) I even did a fanvid of her. I'm a bit concerned about the show though as it seems like every episode will be mainly based on different character - So will the episode suck if the character that it is centereing is less likable than Cassie?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2007 @ 1:14 PM

Thoughts on Episode 2 - Cassie

Cassie - She's my favourite character and this episode definitely showed that Hannah Murray is an excellent performer. Cassie doesn't really have people fooled, it's just that most of them are ignoring her problem with eating so it appears that she's pulling the wool over her parents, classmates and the clinic. Sid wasn't fooled and her method of distracting people as she pretended to eat failed to work on Alan as well. I also loved her for getting one up on Tony.

Alan/Cassie's parents/clinic - The lady at the clinic was the mother of the girl whose house the gang trashed in the first episode? I hated her immensely I admit. Cassie's parents are weird but they're not ogres but they are a little too self-obsessed so it's easy to see why Cassie feels that they don't care about her even if they probably do. Alan on the otherhand - he confronts her but does it in a genuinely concerned manner and Cassie seems to be able to talk to him after the disappointment with Sid.

Sid/Mad Twatter - Aww, Sid's got an admirer and he's not even really aware because he's too busy wanting Michelle and being in deep doodoo with Mad Twatter. His conversations with both Cassie and Angie definitely endear him a lot but the guy needs to stand up to Tony in a big way. Mad twatter makes me laugh a lot, the guy certainly knows how to take thing quite personally.

Tony - Can I personally give Cassie a pat on the back for making Tony look like he wet himself. The guy was acting way too smug and vicious around Sid so he deserved the smackdown all that bit more.

Michelle/her mother/Malcolm - Um Nips needs more of a personality because aside from being nice to Sid, there's not much of real interest in this girl. Trashing the place with food was very funny but her mother and Danny Dyer's usual performances didn't make much of an impression.

Chris/Angie - So when are supposed to bet that Chris gets his way with Angie? She's certainly not the most professional of teachers and it was a bit too obvious that she dug Chris leering at her in the nude.

Jal/Maxxie/Kenny/Anwar - Not as vocalised as last week although I loved Anwar/Cassie's god and pills discussion and Kenny making an eejit out of himself. Jal and Maxxie had barely anything to really do.

A superb episode IMO, 9/10.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2007 @ 11:31 AM

I am about twice as old as the target audience but I thought it was a hoot. Really funny script, completely unrealistic obviously. Sid and Cassie are endearing but oh my, the girl who plays Cassie can't act. Admittedly it is a difficult part, all that "ooh gosh pretty flowers hello sky now I'll just say something unexpectedly insightful then la la la I'm not eating wow I'm naming all the stars" dialogue. Sid is probably a really nice-looking guy under the hat and glasses combo they've Ugly Bettyed him in.

Really? Cause I was so impressed by Cassie's acting in that second episode. The lunch table scene between her and Sid was one of the best things I've seen on TV in ages. The way she moved through the emotions when Sid said "Isn't that a bit fucked up?" was amazing. But then, I'll admit to being a Sid-Cassie shipper (Sissie?). They're easily my two favourite characters. Sid is so much like a male version of myself in sixth form that I can't help but adore him. And the guy playing him is pretty darn cute.

As for the rest of the show, I'm enjoying it. First episode was a decent intro and the second episode rocked, although the third was a bit too dull for me. I'm impressed with a lot of the cast, and in particular Sid, Cassie, Jal and Chris because those 4 really don't look like they're acting. I also love the balance of drama and comedy, which is something I've rarely seen in British drama outside Doctor Who. Is Shameless like that? I've never seen it.

What I don't like: Mad Twatter: An evidently fake character with an evidently fake moustache destroys the otherwise excellent realism of the show everytime he appears. Any adult who's role is to say "Fuck! Shit! Wankstain! Look, we're on after the watershed and we swear! Aren't we edgy?!" (cf. Harry Enfield). Tony, for being an arrogant narcissist who's only use for friends is proving them inferior to himself. And lastly, Michelle, for being far too self-involved.

swordfire

swordfire

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2007 @ 1:25 PM

Jal is awesome. I know Cassie and Sid and Chris are too, but I just thought I would send that out there. I really like these characters the most so far (although probably something to do with them being the only ones who have had thier own episodes so far...actually, no, I really don't like Tony...ok, stop rambling...), but so far, Jal is awesome and Cassie is one fucked up sweetie. And yes, I am liking this show.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2007 @ 6:30 PM

I really like Jal after the last episode. She's a cool girl doing her best. Michelle however - what a bitch. I'll be impressed if they can somehow redeem her when it's her turn for an episode, because so far she's awful. I mean, "my role is to look shaggable"? Girl, you don't even. I have no idea why Sid likes her so much. She certainly loves herself to bits.

I like the character of Cassie, as we're meant to, but I do think it's very difficult to act a character like that. So far the "oh wow" is still putting me off.

All the adults are parodies really (except Jal's hot dad, maybe).

ChrisJWJ

ChrisJWJ

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2007 @ 8:13 PM

I like the character of Cassie, as we're meant to, but I do think it's very difficult to act a character like that. So far the "oh wow" is still putting me off

I love Cassie and think that she's superbly acted. It's hard to believe this is the first thing Hannah Murray has done. To me the "oh wow" is not the real Cassie, it's her strategy, along with her "watch me eat" sleight of hand, to avoid being sent back to hospital by convincing everyone that she's OK. Like many in her situation, she's a hell of a lot smarter than those around her and very good at disguising the truth.

It would be nice to think that Sid will suddenly see the light and save her with love, but this Digital Spy interview with Hannah implies that things are going to get a whole lot nastier for Cassie.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 2:22 AM

So this is what the UK kids watch? Heh, it's amazing the amount of nudity and profanity a teen drama can get away with. Is this what most of the shows in the UK are like? If it is, then i'll be damned, we should get rid of the FCC. One thing was odd though. I've only seen the first episode but within the first five minutes I saw nudity and cussing, but when Tony and Michelle kiss, they're not actually kissing, as in they were more like smooching. In fact I haven't seen any tongue kissage. Am I missing something here?

I do like the show, as it is something completely different from what American teenage shows are like, but I can't imagine these kids are accurate portrayals of british kids, much like the kids of the OC aren't accurate of American kids.

edited: Just watched second epi, and I officially adore Cassie. I actually liked her in the pilot but after her episode I totally love her as prob my favorite character. I wish she didn't have that weird Ophelia front though. The saddest part is Cassie would be considered normal sized in American television, though even real world she would still be considered petite but not someone who has an eating disorder. It's disturbing how media skews our perception of whats healthy or not.

For the people that don't live in the UK or don't have satellite email me and I'll send over a link or whatever.

Edited by BostonsKrissy, Feb 13, 2007 @ 2:49 AM.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 6:32 AM

I do like the show, as it is something completely different from what American teenage shows are like, but I can't imagine these kids are accurate portrayals of british kids, much like the kids of the OC aren't accurate of American kids.

That's an interesting point, actually. Having been a British kid just a few years ago, there are certainly some characters who seem to be just like people I've met, and others who don't. I've known people who are Sid, Jal, Anwar and Michelle. Cassie is obviously OTT, Tony is a bit unreal, very few gay kids would be as confident about it as Maxxie and I don't really know Chris enough to judge.

Edited by rdb, Feb 13, 2007 @ 6:32 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 11:53 AM

Music video to the song frequently blared in the trailer

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=QGRuKbCn09E

The hedonistic as hell trailer for the series. No Us series would promote a teen show like this ...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=X24Fc357OWA

Ashiva

Ashiva

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2007 @ 3:59 PM

There is also longer version of that trailer available here.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 1:10 AM

That's an interesting point, actually. Having been a British kid just a few years ago, there are certainly some characters who seem to be just like people I've met, and others who don't. I've known people who are Sid, Jal, Anwar and Michelle. Cassie is obviously OTT, Tony is a bit unreal, very few gay kids would be as confident about it as Maxxie and I don't really know Chris enough to judge.

Right, well I definitely think we can see people we know and even ourselves in these characters, but of course in common teenage soap drama the kids in Skins are all still representing the typical "characters: ie: crazy girl, charismatic bad boy, virgin boy, etc. But I wonder, did you and your friends have wild outlandish drug and booze parties like shown in the trailer? Would your teachers be so nonchalant about having been seen nude? And obviously some of these characters aren't so much characters as they are caricatures, but are the parents, for example in the UK that lax about their language around kids and their punishments?

I've had my fair share of crazy shit in high school, but not to the extent that anybody had OD'd or trashed somebody's house that bad, with little consequence. Damn America, but I can't see any of this EVER being shown in the US, even if the nudity was blurred or the swearing was censored, unless it was on HBO or one of the other non-basic cable channels.

That said, I'm really enjoying the show. I'm curious to see more shows from the UK if they're half as good as Skins. (I've seen The Office and Coupling, but that's about it)

Also, the editors who produced the Skins trailers are geniuses. Same goes for the people picking the music in the episodes. Shuggie Otis in Cassie's episode was perfection. I just don't get the fascination with American rap music, and the weird rap imitations Jal's brother had. Is that what people outside of the US think of American culture? Yikes.

Edited by BostonsKrissy, Feb 14, 2007 @ 1:24 AM.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 5:06 AM

Right, well I definitely think we can see people we know and even ourselves in these characters, but of course in common teenage soap drama the kids in Skins are all still representing the typical "characters: ie: crazy girl, charismatic bad boy, virgin boy, etc. But I wonder, did you and your friends have wild outlandish drug and booze parties like shown in the trailer? Would your teachers be so nonchalant about having been seen nude? And obviously some of these characters aren't so much characters as they are caricatures, but are the parents, for example in the UK that lax about their language around kids and their punishments?

Every adult in the show is an unrealistic charicature, so no to that question. But in my first year of uni we had some amazingly wild parties (no drugs, though) that are pretty much the same as what I've seen in Skins. And we were all pretty middle class, while the kids in Skins are (supposed to be) more lower class, which would tend to mean even wilder parties. So that part doesn't seem to be that exaggerated to me.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 10:23 AM

Are they? Surely Jal's rap-star father must be pretty wealthy, look at that house (her brothers are actually putting on all that "from the streets" stuff, they have no more clue about American culture than they do about anything). And Tony's and Cassie's parents seemed fairly solidly middle-class. I think Cassie's anorexia clinic was private, too. Of course they're not as posh as the posh girls' school Tony's been hanging out in.

The booze etc is pretty realistic. You've got to remember that the legal drinking age here is 18 and nearly everyone drinks before that anyway. I think the only drug we've seen them take is cannabis which is also very common among teenagers. If they were snorting coke every night I agree it would be a bit over the top.

Few teachers wouldn't freak about being seen nude but then again see Notes On A Scandal for what can happen! Take this real life case for example. And sadly it's even more common with male teachers/female students, eg the former chief inspector of schools.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

Wow, that's really interesting, do most kids take pills and such as well? The drinking age is 21 in the US but most kids start drinking when they reach high school, though recently drinking has reached the middle school kids, which to me, is very disturbing. There have also been isolated events where kids have been found with harder drugs like coke or heroin but it's definitely not as common as weed or alcohol. I can't say for the whole of America, but I believe my experience in high school, with a moderate amount of partying (with no hard drugs), but not enough to distract from school work, athletics or work, exemplifies what most kids have or had.

And out of curiosity, what does society or the media say in the UK about alcohol and drug use? In America there are endless PSA's and health courses that you're forced to take starting in middle school, that supposedly educate you on the risks of drinking and smoking. In fact, I just finished a mandated online MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) course, which I guarantee everybody in my class muted through. I personally think these attempts are useless; kids who want to drink will drink, and those who want to smoke will smoke. It's really not hard to get your hands on either drug. Furthermore, people seem to look down upon smoking much more than they do on alcohol, (which I personally think is stupid and a result of alcohol corporations and their relationship with the government), when many more accidents occur when people are under the influence of alcohol, than weed. I have never heard of an incident where a kid died or drove when they were high on weed, but countless times when kids decided they could drive totally wasted. It's totally because of America's Puritan roots and our current administration that has this weird outlook on drug use.

I wonder, if America started to have the kind of outlook the UK has on underage drinking, whether we would have less binge drinking or alcohol
related accidents or more?

And because this is getting OT from Skins, can somebody clarify some of the terms for me? Am I right that 'Skins' are the papers people use for smoking, and college is my version of secondary school, and university is post-secondary?

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:11 AM

Are they? Surely Jal's rap-star father must be pretty wealthy, look at that house (her brothers are actually putting on all that "from the streets" stuff, they have no more clue about American culture than they do about anything). And Tony's and Cassie's parents seemed fairly solidly middle-class. I think Cassie's anorexia clinic was private, too. Of course they're not as posh as the posh girls' school Tony's been hanging out in.

I'm fairly sure most of them are meant to be. After all, they're at a state-school college. Cassie's not, obviously, but has such a messed up family that her going to a normal college is understandable. Tony's dad seemed fairly lower-class to me, although this might be my own inate ignorance. Jal, on the other hand, clearly has a rich dad and is so intelligent and talented that the only reason I think she's not getting private education is Plot Contrivance.

And out of curiosity, what does society or the media say in the UK about alcohol and drug use?

There is a general binge drinking culture in the UK that is seen as undesirable, but nobody ever seems to do anything about it. Most people accept underage drinking as something that's fine as long as you don't get caught. As for drugs, cannabis gets much the same attitude but not anything harder than that.

And because this is getting OT from Skins, can somebody clarify some of the terms for me? Am I right that 'Skins' are the papers people use for smoking, and college is my version of secondary school, and university is post-secondary?

Skins - yes. College = school for kids between 16-18 (as kids can drop out of school at 16 in the UK). University - yes. What you need is this thread from the Doctor Who forums, which is devoted to translating UK slang/jargon for Americans.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:19 AM

Yes, skins are the slang term for Rizla papers. The characters are at 6th Form College which is the last year of secondary school and has more freedom than the previous five years. They might then go onto university or other types of colleges (or not).

I think it's pretty similar in that every now and then people get worked up about underage drinking. For instance here's a news story about it: tax binge drinking and a link there to a typical advert.

I thought maybe Jal was at a state school because her father didn't want to damage his street cred by sending her private? Depends how hip and current a rapper he's meant to be.

Edited by Promethea, Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:21 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:40 AM

Thoughts on Episode 3 - Jal

Jal - Outside of Sid and Cassie, she's becoming one of my favourite characters of the series and like her father, the only one with actual musical talent to brag about as well. Her snarky attitude, underlying layer of vulnerability make her as endearing as hell and daddy issues on display are nicely dealt with as well.

Jal's family/her Dad's girlfriend - The brothers are twits, funny but ultimately twits and her father's girlfriend has the amoeba of a one year old. I don't whether her or Jal's brother/doltish friend's atttempts of being street was more embarrassing. Her Dad's got some demons that I woyuldn't mind seeing more of and he clearly cares for her upon dealing with Mad Twatter himself.

Sid/Mad Twatter - The face off with poor Jal's clarinet caught in the crossfire. Luckily though Mad Twatter picked the wrong girl's clarinet to smash. I'm kind of hoping that plot has been dealyt with now and Sid can concentrate on other things like noticing Cassie, forgetting Michelle and eating more cookies in front of Jal.

Tony/Michelle/Abigail - The dullest triangle between three of the most vapid characters on the series, maybe i'll care more in further episodes but now I'd rather not. Michelle kissed to make Tony jealous and it failed miserably like it would because Tony didn't notice and even if he did he would never view Sid as a threat.

Cassie/Anwar/Maxxie/Chris - Not much going on except the lads leering Jal and Cassie's unsuccessful attempts of wooing Sid.

Not as good as the previous episode but an 8/10.

ChrisJWJ

ChrisJWJ

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 3:41 PM

So, I was looking at their myspace pages in search of a bit of backstory (sad, I know).

They're in the 1st year at Roundview Sixth Form College, ie. aged 16/17. Cassie is 16. Sid 17. Jal 16. Anwar 17. Chris 17. Tony 17. But both Kenneth and Michelle claim to be 18, despite Michelle stating that she and Jal have been in the same class since they were 4. Teens lying about their age on myspace, eh? Who'd've thought it?

Effy is 16. She must be doing her GCSEs at what looks, from her uniform, to be a private school (it's quite common these days for kids from private schools to go to state 6th Form College for 2 years to take their A levels). Abigail, the posh one from the girls' school, is 16 and her profile's painfully funny.

But here's the strange thing. None of them have Maxxie (17) as a friend. Upcoming "outsider" storyline, do you think?

Edited by ChrisJWJ, Feb 16, 2007 @ 8:06 AM.

rdb

rdb

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 4:16 PM

I retract this statement on account of being so blind that I couldn't even see a damm link.

Edited by rdb, Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:56 AM.

ChrisJWJ

ChrisJWJ

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 7:01 PM

I figure what is more likely is we're meant to suppose Maxxie isn't the type of guy to have a MySpace account. He's not even listed on the Skins MySpace friend list (yes, I've had a sneak peak too) and if he had one he'd be on there surely.

But he has got one. I linked to it. I doubt it'll play a large part in the plot, but I'd lay bets there'll come a point when one of the others asks why he hasn't got a myspace page and Maxxie will have to admit the existence of it and explain why he never told them. Probably because they weren't the sort of friend he was hoping to attract.

TPTB no doubt expect fans to do as I did, notice his absence from the list, go searching, find his page and leave puzzled comments (not that I did that last bit I'm not that sad). A depressingly emo blog will be along shortly, I'm sure.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 3:42 AM

You'd think he'd be more likely to be on Gaydar. I wonder if it's just a production error, they somehow forgot to link to his page? In general the MySpace pages they've made are great, spot on.

Chev

Chev

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 11:57 AM

I'm really enjoying the show. I'm curious to see more shows from the UK if they're half as good as Skins. (I've seen The Office and Coupling, but that's about it)

Shameless
, then. One of the only other decent (better, even, than Skins IMO) British comedy/dramas on TV.

And of course go see Hot Fuzz when it comes out in the cinema. Watched it this afternoon and its all I'm thinking about.

Edited by Chev, Feb 15, 2007 @ 11:58 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:35 PM

Skins is made by the same people who do Shameless and I think that reflects in the writing.

I'm always weirded out by MySpaces for characters but it seems to be the trend.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:37 PM

Oddly I can't stand Shameless (so patronising!) but I like Skins.

ChrisJWJ

ChrisJWJ

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 2:05 PM

I'm really enjoying the show. I'm curious to see more shows from the UK if they're half as good as Skins. (I've seen The Office and Coupling, but that's about it)

Get yourself a multi-region PAL to NTSC DVD player from Amazon US for about $30, then scoot over to Amazon UK. Since you like Skins, I'd certainly recommend: Sugar Rush, about a 15 year old lesbian in Brighton lusting over her straight best friend (look, there's even a TWOP forum for it); Shameless (series 1 & 2 are gloriously funny but a lot of the original cast have left now and it's getting a bit formulaic); Teachers, as with Shameless, the first 2 series are the best; The Book Group; Green Wing; and you definitely should get the original Queer As Folk.

But if there's one UK series everyone should have, it's Spaced, from the people who would later bring us Shaun Of The Dead and the above-mentioned Hot Fuzz.