Matt Lorenz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2007 @ 8:18 PM

OK, just read in Kelly's blog that stressed-out Matt lost 17 pounds during the taping of this show. Yowza. That's a heck of a lot of weight on an already thin guy. Granted, he's tall, but wow! His clothes weren't bagging off of him in last night's episode, but he definitely was looking like a wafer ...

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to comment on that, Kolohe. I was looking at that picture of him and Todd and Carisa on the Bravo site, and I was thinking before I read Kelly's blog, "hmmm, isn't he much skinnier than he was before? Or did he get taller and stretch out or something?"

Also tells you we're not imagining the level of stress that leads to the drama. I think that's why I at least try to snark more on the process than the actual people (unless someone does something inexcusably stupid. Hee). I'm sure I'd have done something evil to someone by now under these conditions. Or pulled a Goil and just melted right on down under the pressure.

Also, I'd be stressing too if my loved ones said "don't come home unless you win". The hell? I'm sure it was half a joke, but looking around the blogosphere, I wouldn't say that to someone I wanted to come home -- with 2 design mag features and a pretty smile, the Mattman has far too many other options by now.

Zzingerific

Zzingerific

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

And check out pictures of Matt's wife and little girl here: pics from Matt's Bravo photo diary . I must admit, I'm a sucker for the fact that he calls them his "two greatest gifts," and his daughter's quite the cutie.

Golly, Kolohe, now I almost feel bad about snarking on Matt this whole time. Almost.

Wow, 17 pounds is a lot. It's a lot even if you're 20 lbs overweight, but Matt was really skinny already. What is he losing? Bone mass? Well, if he wins the money, maybe he can afford to go have one of the Top Chef cheftestants put some meat back on his bones.

Kelly thinks Matt has a 'distracting' crush on Margaret? HA! Someone in the episode thread mentioned that Matt has clearly focused on Margaret as the client and is tayloring his designs to her. Perhaps a bit of jealousy from Worstler?

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2007 @ 9:42 AM

Smart business sense is what it is. It's her magazine that's planning on featuring the winner, so why not tailor your designs to the judge who probably has more sway than the other two?

But after looking at photos of the Viceroy, I can't fathom even attempting to design to Kelly's liking because dark, ugly patterned carpeting, appliqued cats and plates as wall decorations seems a bit nichey.

jcpbmg

jcpbmg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 10:30 PM

And check out pictures of Matt's wife and little girl here: pics from Matt's Bravo photo diary . I must admit, I'm a sucker for the fact that he calls them his "two greatest gifts," and his daughter's quite the cutie.

Very funny, on this week's 'watch what happens' (yes, I watch it, but to clarify I didn't watch it live and I watched it at work when I was bored) someone e-mailed in asking if they, as in Margaret and Andy, thought Matt was gay, and Margaret just answer succinctly 'he has a wife and daughter that he loves a lot... so let's just leave it at that.' Just the way she said it was quite funny. I'm actually surprised they even used that question to begin with.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2007 @ 11:57 PM

I like Margaret's answer about the speculation about Matt's sexuality. He does seem to love his wife and daughter, and if his relationship with his wife works for them, ultimately that's what really matters. Maybe Matt is bisexual, and chose to be with a woman. Or, maybe he's actually straight. I can see why people would think he's gay, but things are not always what they seem. Not all gay men fit into the stereotype, and not all straight men are macho. Who knows?

But Matt's sex life aside, I'm rooting for him to win. Not only do I like his style better than Carisa's, but I really would rather not see her smug, eye-rolling ass win.

Dale

Dale

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2007 @ 10:35 PM

Congratulations on your victory, Matt. I guess you did earn it.

"I guess," because going on this last challenge alone, I actually liked Carisa's loft more than his.

duandsku

duandsku

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 2:16 AM

At least Ilan's food apparently tasted really good?

but I think here what we see is what we get.

CorkyStClair

CorkyStClair

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 8:32 PM

I love me some MattkyStClair, but I thought he got a little bit of the Bitch Edit in this final ep with all of his "I can't LOSE TO A STUDENT!" (I WON'T BE IGNORED! GET ME A RABBIT, ED! NOW!") drama. I was getting so annoyed with his confessionals I started to root for Carisa and her Give-Carl-and-His-Babies-All-The-Money-Edit even before I saw the finished lofts.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 10:44 PM

I love me some MattkyStClair, but I thought he got a little bit of the Bitch Edit in this final ep with all of his "I can't LOSE TO A STUDENT!" (I WON'T BE IGNORED! GET ME A RABBIT, ED! NOW!") drama. I was getting so annoyed with his confessionals I started to root for Carisa and her Give-Carl-and-His-Babies-All-The-Money-Edit even before I saw the finished lofts.

Just goes to prove that the judges aren't all BASTARD PEOPLE!

Corky, you are bad, bad, so bad ...

Edited by roorooby, Apr 12, 2007 @ 10:45 PM.

SnarkBoi79

SnarkBoi79

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2007 @ 10:47 PM

He seems really gay to me.

Edited by SnarkBoi79, Apr 13, 2007 @ 9:11 AM.

Tanner

Tanner

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2007 @ 8:17 AM

Maybe Matt is bisexual, and chose to be with a woman.

Maybe he's a gay-straight man like the one Charlotte dated in "Sex and the City."

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Apr 13, 2007 @ 8:41 AM

I love me some MattkyStClair, but I thought he got a little bit of the Bitch Edit in this final ep

Yes, but Carisa was given the Bitch Edit (because she seems to really be a bitch) throughout the series.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2007 @ 9:20 AM

I had no problem with Matt's opinion about not wanting to lose to a student. Clearly from what Andrea's said there wasn't much respect for Carisa as a designer among the other designers so it's not just that she's a student, but that she works like a student. Everything is flat, obvious and the only refinement in her "designs" come from the craftsmanship of others, not her own aesthetic.

But the judges had been arbitrary earlier and even rewarded Carisa for a failed design. Losing to someone with so little grasp on construction and spatial design beyond just buying pieces she likes would be a slap in the face to someone like Matt. And the show already slapped Felicia, Erik, Goil and Andrea by letting them lose to Carisa. I can see why Matt would have been pissed off if he, too, lost to her because she likes really obvious "retro" furnishings and loud colors, but the panel interpreted it as being "bold."

SeeingI

SeeingI

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:13 AM

I had Matt pegged to win for weeks now, but I have to say, I liked Carisa's loft better. She did make some big mistakes, though, like the ping-pong table. Matt's loft felt chilly and sterile, way too conceptual, like a lot of his designs.

I admit to crushing on Matt early on - he's cute, seems sweet, plus he's lanky & wafer-thin, just like I like 'em. (Lost 17lbs? I thought he got cuter as time went on.) He's got a really grating voice, though. He could use elocution or even singing lessons. And the more I saw of him on the show, the more I started to see his bitchy side.

But oh well - congratulations anyway, Matt, you definitely deserved it, more for overall performance than that particular space. Unlike Top Chef, this show at least had a winner we could all feel pretty good about.

Edited by SeeingI, Apr 16, 2007 @ 10:21 AM.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2007 @ 9:19 PM

Who saw WWH with Andy? Leather?? Boob jobs??? Carson Kressley impersonations????

Hysterical.