Matt Lorenz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

74 replies to this topic

Mr. Sobell

Mr. Sobell

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 1:15 AM

His bio says he considers himself a dramatic designer: If you touch that ottoman, we're doomed!

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 3:01 AM

I wonder if I'm alone in being a little confounded by the idea of Matt being married with a kid.

Here's an article about him. The Christmas tree story is kind of cute.

Ethos

Ethos

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 9:58 AM

You're not alone fuzzbear. The whole time I was like "Married with a kid...riiight Mary."

SeeingI

SeeingI

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 1:16 PM

Wait...married with a kid? Wow. Mr. L had my gaydar pinging all over the damn place. I wonder if he's bi & settled down with a chick, or if his "wife" is a "lady" along the lines of Alexis Arquette, or what?

Not, of course, that it's any of my damn business.

Penelo

Penelo

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 2:07 PM

My gaydar was pinging, too. I'm surprised he's married with a child. I have to go with SeeingI that he's likely bi and leaned toward marrying a woman.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

Amen to the sexual ambiguity. I just looked at my screen with my head tilted when he talked about the wife and kid. But then with this show before it ever started instead of wondering who was gay I was wondering if anyone would be straight.

SecretCover

SecretCover

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 8:10 PM

Top Chef - Ok, there should be one or two gay guys here.
Project Runway - Half of the guys are probably gay.
Top Design - GAY TO THE MAX, EVERYONES GAY, EVEN THE HOST AND THE JUDGES. GAYGAYGAYGAY.

I'm still not buying it, it's a show about interior decorating for the love of God. I cracked up when he said he had a wife and a kid.

Having said that, I think he's pretty cute.

duandsku

duandsku

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 3:17 AM

Hey, was it just me or wasn't every guy gay in the second season of PR? Santino, Nick, Andrae, Dan V., Emmett, Raymundo, John? I don't think a reasonable case for any of them can be made for straight. The only guy I figured was straight was Daniel Franco. On TD, I'll go ahead and buy Matt as straight. My guess is Ryan is probably straight too.

Anyway, if Goil is TD's Kara Saun or Jay, Elizabeth TD's Uli or Laura, then Matt could be the Daniel V. The underdog made good over the course of the season.

greeper

greeper

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

I think his wife's name is Bonnie. We never see her because if, for instance, she needs a fabulous pantsuit, he goes out to buy it for her. I'm just saying.

Spicy Tuna Roll

Spicy Tuna Roll

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 7:55 PM

In the first 10 seconds upon meeting Matt we learn he is 1. Married; 2. To a woman; 3. Has a child; 4. Likes to do wholesome things with his hetero nuclear family like pickin' pumpkins; 5. Did we mention he's married?

Just seemed a bit overkill....I wonder if something 'happens' with one of his roomates and this is the set up?

KillerTofu

KillerTofu

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

You know, I'm so cynical about the editing shenanigans on these "reality" shows...I'm almost positive that the writers (or whoever stands behind the camera and asks the contestants questions for their so-called 'confessionals') asked him an open-ended question about his family and/or personal life, and he responded in a completely appropriate manner.
They then took this sound-byte and inserted it in this guy's first 10 seconds on the show, all to make the viewers go "Wow. He sure wants us to know he's married with a child. You know, completely heterosexual-like."

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:53 AM

I have to agree with Killer . I never trust the editing elves. We'll have to keep watching to see if thats really him or editing. He didn't mention it again during the challenge did he? I would think if it was his emphasis we'd have seen it more regularly throughout the episode.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 10:20 AM

Just seemed a bit overkill....I wonder if something 'happens' with one of his roomates and this is the set up?

I don't think something will 'happen' with a roommate, but I do agree that all the married-kid-hetero talk was overkill, and feel that it was the editors' snarky way of saying. "Yeah, right."

To which I giggle.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 10:44 AM

I didn't see anything weird about him saying he's married with a kid and likes to take her to the pumpkin patch. It's no different than Heather saying she has no experience and got into interior design by helping a few friends decorate their restaurants.

It was just shorthand to help identify the various designers when there were still so many. I liked Matt and thought he seemed like a sweet, if somewhat meek, person. I didn't think he, or production, was beating us over the head with "He's a heterosexual with a wife and child."

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 12:15 AM

His room should have won based on the sheer fact that his client loved the black that the judges hated. Oh duh, that's why he didn't win.

Alvardan

Alvardan

Posted Feb 9, 2007 @ 1:00 AM

I think his wife's name is Bonnie. We never see her because if, for instance, she needs a fabulous pantsuit, he goes out to buy it for her. I'm just saying.

Awesome. Is Matt going to break out into a musical odd to stools?

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 8:36 AM

A short interview with Matt from the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Comfrey Native Has Designs on Winning Bravo Show

What is your design philosophy and do you feel like it was well represented on the show? I have a minimalist clean aesthetic. What I usually create is a very soothing environment that isn't completely barren of objects or decoration, but it usually has this whole calming undertone to it. Personally, how I live, I like to be really relaxed like a meditative state. … I think the rooms that I did on the show represent my style somewhat, and when you see the rooms together I think you can recognize them as one of my rooms — that I'm happy about.

Penelo

Penelo

Posted Feb 14, 2007 @ 11:23 PM

I don't know how Matt lucked out tonight, but he should've at least been in the bottom two, not bottom three.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 2:38 AM

I don't think so. He was bullied out of the way by Elizabeth. She was being pretty strident about the colors. Matt didn't perform worse than Elizabeth or Ryan, so he placed where he should have placed. Bottom three for not being enough of a presence in his design, but not bottom two because he didn't make any major errors.

Kolohe

Kolohe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:22 PM

I thought Jonathan Adler was going to say to Matt, "Matt, you can stay...but go take a shower and wash your hair." Dude needed some serious degreasing. Just back away from the product, Matt.

Three Olives

Three Olives

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 11:26 PM

As a gay man, I loath to say this because stereotypes, blah, blah, blah, but if Matt isn't gay I seriously need a tune up for my gaydar. Are we sure that he is married to a woman or is in a romantic relationship with a woman?

I've known a few gay people legally married to the opposite sex for tax/healthcare/travel benefits.

If he is indeed straight, bravo to him, he obviously has a lot of courage to be himself no matter what people think. I think the would would be a better place if more straight men stopped worrying so much about gender roles and did whatever the hell they want.

Tylene

Tylene

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2007 @ 5:12 PM

Three Olives, I hear you. But as a gay man, I get really tired of straight people [in a situation where they are judging someone's sexual orientation] judging people to be most likely straight in the face of so much evidence to the contrary, and then acting like they're the enlightened ones for not buying into the stereotypes when in actuality, their reluctance to recognize someone who is gay indicates a deep desire not to acknowledge the ubiquitousness of queers. So, essentially I get veiled homophobes lecturing me about open-mindedness. And it makes me furious.
So, in response, I'll just say it. Matt might be married. He might have children. He may love his wife; he may have some arrangement that works for both him and his partner. But the DUDE SUCKS DICK. That is all.

Edited by Tylene, Feb 20, 2007 @ 2:03 AM.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 11:48 AM

I don't care what the judges said, Matt won, Erik was second and Carisa bottomed out with Ryan and Felicia.

Matt's room was the most successful, had storage and no major design flaw. He should have won, hands down.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 12:12 PM

Ah, that explains much. The judges must originally be from the planet N-E-B-A-L-I.

(Those TWoPers sick of the injokes -- b/c I suspect those of us who are fans will keep recklessly on regardless -- please refer to Christopher Guest's mighty mockumentary oeuvre.)

OT: Still, reproducing "Armani Casa"-esque from garage sale? Badass design sense, IMO. I wouldn't mess with Matt on a bad day. Isn't he already head of the ID department at his firm or something?

Kolohe

Kolohe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 1:29 PM

I'm of two minds about Matt's double-lamp thing. I like it in theory and thought it was innovative and an interesting conversation piece. I wouldn't want it in my home. In general, I thought his room rocked and agree that he should have taken the win, w/ Erik taking second.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 5:55 PM

Matt was totally robbed.

yulichka

yulichka

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2007 @ 7:30 PM

Matt is gorgeous.

And I'm sorry, I just don't see the gay. Maybe it's wishful thinking. But it seems odd that a guy who hangs with interior design types would go to such great lengths to cover up his sexuality. He gives off the same vibe as Top Chef Marcel and Ilan. I don't think that automatically makes him gay.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2007 @ 12:07 AM

We'll have a better idea which way the wind blows if he either starts stalking and taunting Goil or if he starts calling himself soigne.

snowvillage

snowvillage

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

Matt does great work. He just needs to exude the same confidence in himself personally that he displays in his product. A top designer doesn't have to be aggressive, obnoxious or vain, but a strength of presence would help.

roorooby

roorooby

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2007 @ 9:23 PM

We'll have a better idea which way the wind blows if he either starts stalking and taunting Goil or if he starts calling himself soigne.

*helpless laughter*

Matt does great work. He just needs to exude the same confidence in himself personally that he displays in his product. A top designer doesn't have to be aggressive, obnoxious or vain, but a strength of presence would help.

snowvillage, it may be an "on camera" thing. I know men who do incredible work and have great confidence in it that just don't "show up" optimally on camera without some media training.

And after all, isn't he head of his department at his firm at home? You don't ordinarily get to that level without exuding some confidence.

Plus, maybe some of my friends are just sneaky, but there's a lot to be said tactically for knowing how to fly under the radar. Worked for him in Challenge #2. Elizabeth, cool and professional as she is? Not so much.