Elizabeth Moore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

40 replies to this topic

saffronista

saffronista

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:00 PM

AGE DISCRIMINATION.

I think the more mature designers are booted off first...just like in Top Chef (except for Betty)

Bravo stinks

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 4:05 PM

What I didn't fully understand was how Elizabeth got solely tagged for the color choice, but didn't get any credit for the cabana design, which the judges admitted was the most functional of the three. That should have counted for a hell of a lot, and certainly should have put her ahead of Ms. French flag and Mr. Invisible.

I've disagreed as a matter of taste with judges' choices on Bravo reality competition shows before, but I've never found one patently unreasonable. This one was. Truly BS.

Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hippos, Classical Singing, Shopping

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 9:24 AM

AGE DISCRIMINATION.

I think the more mature designers are booted off first...just like in Top Chef (except for Betty)

I've been noticing this pattern myself, although you can't count Cynthia on TC1, since she removed herself to be with her dying father. However, the fact that she wasn't invited to compete in season 2 says worlds to me.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2007 @ 10:21 AM

If deconstructed, though, the decision to boot her is valid, and not just for "agism."

Although I think Carisa should have been in the bottom three instead of Matt, of those three, it was clearly a choice between Ryan and Elizabeth, and for similar reasons. Ryan's pedestrian furniture v. Elizabeth's horrible color palette. Ryan had less control over how the furniture ended up because the original pillows and cushions actually fit the breezy, summery scheme better than the dark and dank covers Carisa put on them, but Elizabeth, and Elizabeth alone, was responsible for the colors.

So while Ryan's failure was not all due to his own lousy design instincts, Elizabeth's was. She did seem like she wouldn't brook any arguments to her counter-intuitive color scheme, because she wanted it to be "sophisticated" and I don't think she was involved in the design of the structure because although we didn't see who was talking about the louvered design, that would be an element completely in keeping with Matt's aesthetic.

profreader

profreader

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2007 @ 11:34 AM

But I think that what bugged me was the Elizabeth was not solely responsible for the color choice ... and I think she didn't protest loudly during the judging, because she didn't want to be the Mayoress of Excuses Village. Who knew that a color choice would be ranked below awful furniture and fabric? I'm sure she stood behind her choice the way Team Tahiti did with their choice of no roof.

simon920

simon920

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2007 @ 3:23 PM

I know this is slightly off topic, but we don't know (or at least I don't know) for a fact that Cynthia from TC1 wasn't invited back. I'm not aware that it was ever an issue. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't.

It's possible that she may have been or that she simply had other things to do--not everyone wants to give up how ever many weeks/months of their lives for (relative) reality TV. She clearly has a family and she had a job--she also had a taste of the show. She may have just had enough of the BS.

And I'm speaking as someone in their 50's who really has had the ageism card played against me.

Of course, if you have some inside scoop I've missed, well...that's different and I'd love to see it (on the right forum, natch).

I suspect the producers have a slew of lawyers who watch out for that kind of thing--blatant ageism, sexism, racism--you name it. If a legitimate, provable charge was leveled against them they'd be in serious deep doo-doo, whatever show or contestant you're talking about.

Did Elizabeth get hosed? Maybe, but these judges haven't impressed me all that much with their comments or positions (of course you can design a room around a cat--ask anyone who owns pets). I'd be more tempted to chalk it up to idiocy in the white room.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2007 @ 5:33 PM

I also think that what may appear as "ageism" because the older contestants tend to get booted early may also be a function of the contestant pool of those over 40.

It's more likely that a 48-year-old will be in a more comfortable position career-wise and not interested in using a television show to promote that career whereas a 25, 28 or 33 year old can still see it as a viable option. So with a smaller pool to choose from the attempts to keep a "diverse" cast and include at least a couple of contestants over 40 also produces weaker contestants over 40.

Just a devil's advocate opinion, but once Elizabeth was working on her own, her aesthetic was lacking to me. I don't think she lost because of her age as much as that cabana probably was much uglier in person, and because of the colors.

saffronista

saffronista

Posted Feb 20, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the contestant at a given age..I think older contestants are booted because they are the least likely to cause "drama" ....except Betty.

Laura Bennett was able to hang in on Project Runway because her personality appealed to all age groups, such an interesting woman.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:22 AM

I found Laura to be a self-aggrandizing twerp who CAUSED plenty of drama by insinuating herself in places she didn't belong, and was outclassed in the final runway show by the two working, professional designers, Uli and Jeffrey, which just showed how kind of underdeveloped and amateur her aesthetic was.

And Laura is a classic example of the "older" contestant on these shows. She'd already had a successful career as an architect and was using the show as a lark to help her transition into fashion design. She hadn't put in the work to create a line, she wanted PR to help her not have to do a lot of the leg work Jeffrey and Uli did.

Same with Elizabeth. She's not an interior designer, she's a set designer. Two different things. But she wants to transition, and at 48 she doesn't have the years that a 23-year-old would have to develop the skills and experience. So she's on the show. If she'd been an interior designer for the last 20 years, I doubt she would be on the show. I know Lisa DID have those 20 years experience, but she really was more of a decorator who had a limited range and aesthetic.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 10:53 AM

I didn't care for Laura either, but at least her personality translated to television. "Serious ugly" has become part of my vocabulary. By comparison, I can't think of one memorable thing Elizabeth did or said. I don't know if it's because they are editing it that way or they cast dishwater dull types. Probably a little of both.

I think the reason Elizabeth was on the show was for publicity. There was a press release floating around the net. I think it said she's started a jewelry and home accessories business. Good for her. I don't mind them casting people who want to be on television. In fact, I'd prefer that. Shrinking violets aren't fun to watch. I just want them to cast interesting people who want to be on television and people who are as interested in their craft as they are in their fifteen minutes of fame.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Feb 21, 2007 @ 11:21 AM

Word to everything vallegirl said.

I don't think agism is a super-concern here; I think Elizabeth got booted because her color choice error compounded her previous glaring design error: the soccer bedroom. Serious ugly, indeed.