Todd Oldham: The Host With the Most

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

105 replies to this topic

RaffTupp

RaffTupp

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 3:20 PM

lindseyquinn, once you start, you can't stop. I refuse to let it ruin my enjoyment of the show, so I only laugh about it during commercials. I totally have a crush on him now.

withwonderly

withwonderly

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 4:32 PM

He only does that horrible inflection when he's reciting the scripted intros.

I found him quite personable when he was just talking to contestants.

When he started to talk to the designers for the first time outside the PDC, I got worried. I wasn't sure I'd be able to take more than one episode of that voice. It was so, "I am an actor! I am reading a script. I am hosting a show!" But I agree - his voice didn't really bother me when he was going around talking to contestants. He seemed like a nice guy when he was chatting with everybody, but in my opinion he lacked the "mentor" feeling Tim Gunn gives off.

Jer2002

Jer2002

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

Is he trying to be Tim Gunn? Because seriously, Todd, just give it up. No one can be Tim Gunn except for Tim Gunn.

I doubt it, and thank God, I don't really care for Tim Gunn. I seriously love Todd. He's the main reason I watch this. I hate that he's not a judge though, I'd like to have heard more of his thoughts on the rooms.

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 7:11 PM

I absolutely love Todd Oldham's voice! I agree with those that thinkhe seems like a nice guy, too. He reminds me of a younger Tim Gunn. Perfect choice for the TD host!

kittycat2002

kittycat2002

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 8:21 PM

His face was oddly shaded. Like too dark around his mouth and yet there was no hair. I was looking for something-- an indication of rosacea or natural coloring but there was nothing. Just this strange hint of orange.

It was very distracting.

moonchildbeast

moonchildbeast

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 10:27 PM

Word on the weird voice and the orange compelxion. I thought his voice, combined with his demeanor was very soothing. References to HAL upthread and happy cheery muppets seem particularly apt. This is a show I would like to fall asleep to.

VeryWellDone

VeryWellDone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 12:53 AM

He seems like a nice guy, and I loved him on house of style, but something has gone bad on this guy. I think all that make-up is to hide some even worse plastic surgery. I feel sorry for him because he was, in my opinion, a perfectly pleasant looking man. His voice is not made for TV. And Bravo really needs to work on the obvious ADR. I hear it all the time on this show. Yeah, he seems like a cool guy who knows his stuff, but his appearance is just really upseting.

taosgirl

taosgirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 2:27 AM

I've decided to work past the voice thing. I really hope he (or the editors) loosens up and brings the snark.

I've been looking forward to seeing him on this show since I got my copy of "I Like You" by Amy Sedaris. He did the photography for her book. Just knowing that he is her friend makes me like him. I hope she makes an appearance on the show.

katarzyna

katarzyna

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 7:38 AM

He totally reminded me of Mister Rogers. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...."

stlouischili

stlouischili

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 8:03 AM

That might explain my newfound love for Todd Oldham. I used to looove Mr. Rogers as a child. I use to answer him back when he asked questions on TV.

Mr. Rogers: How are you today boys and girls?

Little Chili: I'm fine.

My family still laughs about that. As long as I don't start talking to TO onTV, I'll be OK.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 8:08 AM

Todd Oldham's Bravo Blog - The Time Frame

TV Guide Interview - Is Top Design's Todd Oldham the Next Tim Gunn?

Edited by LizDC, Feb 2, 2007 @ 8:51 AM.

YellowKid

YellowKid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 9:29 AM

Todd Oldham isn't worthy to polish Tim Gunn's shoes. Did anyone else notice how many times his voice was dubbed in?

Shanimal

Shanimal

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 12:48 PM

I am struck by the sudden realization, never before imagined, that underneath all the Prince of Darkness makeup, Marilyn Manson and Todd Oldham are, in fact, identical twins.

WhatTheElle

WhatTheElle

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 4:24 PM

You have to check out Jonathon's blog. He refers to Todd's style of dress as Adult-Toddler-Chic. That's so funny and so true. My three year old nephew sports the same look on a regular basis. Bold color sweater with untucked shirt OR striped polo over long sleeve T with cute trousers or cargos and adorable little fashiony gym shoes. Love it!

Edited by WhatTheElle, Feb 2, 2007 @ 4:24 PM.

rubberwilli

rubberwilli

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 5:16 PM

LizDC: Thanks for the link to the TV Guide Article. Very informative!

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 7:38 PM

I was also bugged by the voice and although it was most notable with Todd I think it plagued others as well, mostly Adler, you know Grace's cousin.

There was some weird inflection that sure was Todd imposed but I really think there was something wrong with Bravo's audio mixing. About half the episode sounded like it was screamed from a muffling box.

I agree that he is much more relaxed in individual chat with the designers. I was also a bit dissapointed that he didn't tell anyone to change anything up too much. I want him to be nice mostly but a critical thinker. I want him to walk into someone's set and say 'oh no'. I can't wait for him to freak out over some horrible design.

Edited by radicalmoderate, Feb 2, 2007 @ 7:39 PM.

moonchildbeast

moonchildbeast

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 12:16 AM

Todd reminds me of Haley Joel Osment, specifically in Forrest Gump. A poster upthread said his clothes were Toddler Chic and BOOM, little Haley Joel popped in my mind!

I mean this in a good way :)

Christi

Christi

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 4:40 PM

I'm glad I found this thread, and that I'm not the only one that was wierded out by his rubber face and bad tour guide voice. It was just all so odd!!

I do like him. Im really hoping it was just first show jitters, and he will relax and get with the program, literally.

Honestly, I dont think he will, and I'll have to get used to the new and botoxed TO, but a girl can dream!

Edited by Christi, Feb 3, 2007 @ 10:37 PM.

Penelope6

Penelope6

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 1:55 AM

Todd Oldham isn't worthy to polish Tim Gunn's shoes.

Ya got that right.

peonybabe

peonybabe

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 4:28 AM

Todd seems like a nice, mellow guy, but boy should lay off self-tanner and Botox. It's too visible with the Botox'ed face which makes your low face frozen.

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

I don't expect anyone to measure up to Tim Gunn; after all Tim has been a teacher for years and is his own unique self. He does what comes to him naturally. I think trying to copy him would be a huge mistake. However,

I want him to be nice mostly but a critical thinker.

This is dead on. At first I was disappointed that Todd isn't one of the judges, but I think that frees him up to take on that critic/mentor role during the design process, and I hope that as the show progresses, that happens.

Edited by Ashforth, Feb 4, 2007 @ 11:31 AM.

wbnl

wbnl

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

I thought he was fine on the show. I have never been too impressed with his design work.

I like the layed back, positive, persona.

The only distraction I had was he came off as a fey Gilligan, which was okay after a moment.

Edited by Mr. Sobell, Feb 4, 2007 @ 11:26 PM.

nanasez

nanasez

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 10:54 PM

Its like, he's not a real person, but something Bravo bred.

Seriously! I can't decide if he's more RoboHost, CyborgHost, or HoloHost. If he was a hologram, though, maybe they could reprogram him to fix the voice.

TDRock

TDRock

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 11:58 PM

I amazed at how not helpful he was as someone who is supposed to be in a mentorship role. As someone posted earlier, Tim Gunn is an educator and maybe that's the difference. 'Cause I can't imagine that Todd walking through and telling everyone that they're room looked great was particularly helpful to any of the contestants. Why didn't he mention the fact that some of them had no humour/whimsy in the room despite the 5 objects? Why didn't he say anything to the pair that had an OK room, but inexplicably had 5,000,000 pillows? I mean???? As with PR, the designers can take it or leave it, but isn't it the role of the mentor to say something?. That was way more weird to me than his voice or bad makeup... (although those were weird too, don't get me wrong ;) )

magpye29

magpye29

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 10:21 AM

I think Todd goes tanning with Jay Manuel.

YellowKid

YellowKid

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 11:00 AM

My only knowledge of Todd Oldham is when he had a show on MTV, helping kids decorate dorm rooms or something. "You can make a couch by throwing a sheet over this pile of laundry." That sort of thing...

salamancarana

salamancarana

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 3:54 PM

I do think it's the voice! I had a hard time with it too. Poor Todd, it's not his fault, he's designer (???help??) after all. It's interesting to watch this new contest that i nothing about.

Hey Shaun

Hey Shaun

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Buh.

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 7:17 PM

I love Todd Oldham's designs. The retro-chic/50's mod thing is not my preference, but he does it beautifully.

armadillo228

armadillo228

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:00 PM

Hee!

He really does sound like the presenter on a children's program. I'm finding it endearing rather than annoying. For now.

Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hippos, Classical Singing, Shopping

Posted Feb 7, 2007 @ 10:06 AM

I see Bravo trying to make Todd into the anti-Katie Lee. In an effort to avoid roboticism, he comes across as the worst overemoter in a bad amateur theater production. And comparing him to Mr. Rogers is an insult to the late, lamented Fred.