Top Design in the Media

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

38 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Jan 28, 2007 @ 1:48 PM

Media-y!

bmb654

bmb654

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2007 @ 3:05 PM

I'll get the ball rolling here...Two blogs from our favorite Project Runway bloggers:

Blogging Top Design from the bloggers of Blogging Project Runway

Project: Top Design from the bloggers of Project: Rungay

greybear

greybear

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:47 AM

I'm afraid that I might forget the premiere because Bravo just isn't advertising the show enough. I mean, every 4-1/2 minutes will NOT get the word out.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 9:04 AM

A review of the first episode from the NY Daily News. Mild spoilers, such as a description of the challenge, how it is structured and a description of some of the designs.

Design: Rooms with a View

Edited by BeanyMalone, Jan 29, 2007 @ 9:06 AM.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 4:27 PM

From the geniuses behind Amuse Biatch comes Pink Navy.

Watch. Hilarity. Happen.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2007 @ 9:27 AM

Apparently we'll be able to look forward to a poll question every episode. Here's to hoping the questions are more creative than "Who hates [fill in the blank] the most?"

“The interactivity which Motricity enables us to offer is a key factor in attracting new viewers, and maintaining a loyal base of fans,” said Lisa Hsia, Senior Vice President, New Media, Bravo. “Motricity’s technology enables us to announce results on the immediate show so viewers don’t have to wait until the following program for results. Their vote and their influence are in ‘real time.’”

Interactive Programming

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

I'm up in Canada, and don't get the US Bravo channel, though I do get a whole bunch of others which show Top Chef and Project Runway a few weeks after Bravo airs them. I've seached around, and haven't been able to find any Canadian channels that's picked up Top Design. Does anyone know if one has?

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2007 @ 8:17 AM

The Assistant's Bravo Blog - Copy This and 10-4 That

ideefixe

ideefixe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2007 @ 2:53 PM

Mediabistro's Fishbowl LA is going to have a weekly feature with Andrea Keller:

Top Design: FBLA Goes to the Party

Ashton pointed out that the call on judgment day was 6 am, and by the time the scene was shot at 4:30am, everyone was exhausted. Keller told everyone within earshot that Ralphie-look alike Michael Erik, and Goil are super-nice, amazing people, the most wonderful people in the universe. One of the winning designers, who dreamed up the litter box, Elizabeth Moore, had been a stylist for Prince. Someone, can't recall who exactly, told us that if we thought Kelly Wearstler's tutu and leggings get-up was odd, keep watching.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

• Interests:binder clips (large), Body Pump (minus lunges), coffee, the color wheel, crafting, crosswords, design, diet soda, DIY, Edward Gorey, Google Reader, elliptical machines, ephemera, exfoliation, Hello Kitty, the hot glue gun, kawaii, kittens (most especially Zooey Grace), Locks of Love, Martha Stewart, McSweeney’s, Milton Glaser, mockery, naps, Readymade, Scrabble, silhouettes, sushi, This American Life, TV, TWoP, Urban Decay, worry dolls, writing, yarn, yoga, 42, '80s night

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 4:25 PM

The Five Reasons She Should Love 'Top Design'

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2007 @ 5:05 PM

This USA Today article is already in the John Gray thread, but I thought it should be here as well.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 8:26 AM

The Assistant's Blog - Kids Frighten Me

Design Blog - Episode 2: Child's Play

Invictus

Invictus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

From the USA Today article:

Gray told producers of his condition during casting; producers say there were no plans to disclose it.

I'm a little confused about why Bravo would not disclose this to the other contestants. I mean, even though there are better treatments for HIV these days, wasn't there still a small (admittedly small) risk to the other contestants?

Say, John and Michael are hanging a picture, John pounds a nail into his finger, Michael runs to get something to help stem the bleeding--wouldn't Michael want to know beforehand that John was HIV positive, so as to take proper precautions (e.g., not touching the blood)?

Again, probably not likely to happen. Still, is it ethical to withhold that information in an environment where the possibility of blood contact, however slight, is still there?

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 1:09 PM

Perhaps I'm not being sufficiently imaginative, but under what circumstances would there be blood contact?

the only risk I can see (and I see it as tremendously remote) would be sexual contact, and in that case, I would think John would have the sense to speak up.

BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 1:25 PM

With so many health privacy laws, maybe the producers weren't able to tell the other participants. But even if they were, I don't see any moral obligation to tell. John was a blow hard, but didn't seem irresponsible. After thirteen years of living with AIDS, I would suppose he knows how to interact with other people, and I'm sure the producers did whatever due diligence and imposed whatever conditions they thought were necessary.

It was in some ways considerate of John to explain why his emotions were exaggerated, but if he had taken the "nobody's business" approach, that would have been fine, too.

whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

Oh, my. After reading his blog and the Assistant blog, I heart Jonathan. How fun that he's having so much fun with the show? I wish we could see more of that sense of fun in the show...maybe it's coming up in future episodes?

rubberwilli

rubberwilli

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2007 @ 5:14 PM

Still, is it ethical to withhold that information in an environment where the possibility of blood contact, however slight, is still there?

Invictus: What's not ethical about it? It is his private healthcare issue. They aren't having sex with each other. You walk out your door and there is a slight possibility of blood contact from each person you meet and with every step you take into the world. I'd be more worried about Resistant Staph than random blood contact. If each individual had to disclose every healthcare issue to interact with people we'd never get anything done in life.

I'm an HIV+ individual myself, and a Chicago resident like John. One of the reasons I moved to Chicago was that there are more HIV careproviders and a larger HIV+ population than my hometown. I wouldn't be alone in this. Most HIV+ individuals I have found are avid readers of the healthcare literature and try to be as on-top of the current trends and treatements as possible as their life depends on it. I've asked my doctor in my old hometown many times about something I read about and he hadn't heard of the treatment yet.

I'm pretty sure John's first response had there been any blood spilled at any point would be "STOP" or something explaining what his status was and what needs to happen to protect others.

I'm fine with my own status, and in many senses it's been a great awaking in my life to focus on what is important in life. But my biggest fear, and I think the biggest fear of many people living with HIV, is that someone is going to get infected from me. I just couldn't live with that.

All of these reality shows require a full health disclosure so that the producers know what they are dealing with if someone collapses or something goes wrong. Wasn't there a near death on Survivor a while ago?

Finally, there is also something called "universal precautions" that are to be used in any situation when dealing with a bodily fluid spill of any kind. Most janitorial staffs are very familiar with it and implement it whenever cleaning up a situation such as blood. When I take a new job I always tell my immediate supervisor, confidentially, of my status within the first week and ask who on staff is trained in "universal precautions."

That's my view, YMMV.

Edited by rubberwilli, Feb 8, 2007 @ 5:19 PM.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 12:12 AM

The Assistant's Bravo Blog - Any Student of the Genre Knows

Design Bravo Blog - Episode 3: Design's a Beach

Dennis Hensley OutzoneTV.com Blog - Top Design Episode 3: The Best of Cabana-Rama

rubberwilli

rubberwilli

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 3:26 AM

Ok, I can't resist this. Look at page 7 of the Assistants blog and tell me who that is a picture of....When did Wendy Pepper make the move from Project Runway to Top Design?!? What one reality debacle wasn't enough for her?

Oh, my mistake it's Elizabeth.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 10:17 AM

Reality Blurred Rips Into The Judges

mickif

mickif

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2007 @ 5:22 PM

I think the main thing that struck me from the Reality Blurred article was how wrong it is to describe Michael Kors as "hysterically bitchy". That aside, I agree with what the writer said regarding Jonathan Adler's catch phrase and attitude in general. And I hate Adler even more (if that's even possible) for referring to said catch phrase as "tres controversial" [insert eyeroll here]. He's just not as cute as he thinks he is.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 12:11 AM

The Assistant's Blog - The Devil's Work

Design Blog - Episode 4: Treasure Chest

Dennis Hensley OutzoneTV.com Blog - Top Design 4: Don't Crimp My Style

FourGOM

FourGOM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 7:43 AM

The Assistant's Blog might be the funniest thing about the show (or any Bravo show, save Santino's Tim-pressions):

One thing's for sure: I did NOT think Felicia was going home. But when I saw the judges in the space I started to get concerned. Did you see how Felicia's leopard trimmed drapes coldly slipped from Margaret's hand? That's when I knew she was in trouble. It's like when "The Profiler" holds a piece of evidence from the crime scene and gets overwhelmed with brutal visions. That's how I picture the inside of Margaret Russell's beautiful mind. Honestly, I think she might have synesthesia. Margaret, if you're reading this, please visit synesthete.org/ for more information and a diagnostic test. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to get checked.

In the meantime, questions abound. Will the camera operator and the mystery contestant consummate their forbidden relationship? What carpenter will Carisa pick for the next challenge? Will Goil use a yellow pepper in next week's design? Guess you'll have to tune in to find out.

lindseyquinn

lindseyquinn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2007 @ 11:39 AM

After you spend enough time with a show, you start to notice the little things. How Michael likes to play with his cuticles during an interview. Or how Goil does a man-curtsy when he meets new people (watch as he arrives at the first garage sale...). Is there a drinking game here?

Per the assistant's suggestion, I'm in for next week. Curtsy! Salud! Goil-like-gargoyle! Salud!

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2007 @ 12:52 AM

AfterElton.com - Interview with Goil and Erik (warning - could be a little spoilery)

Kolohe

Kolohe

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 7, 2007 @ 11:46 AM

Here's the PRGayBoys' latest ideas for redoing the TD franchise: Project: Top Design (see March 7th entry).

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2007 @ 12:14 AM

The Assistant's Blog - The Alpha-Male

Dennis Hensley's Outzone Blog - Garage of The Damned

Lizrd

Lizrd

Video Archivist

• Interests:Escapist lit (fantasy/sci-fi, detective fiction, historical costume drama) and corresponding TV.

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

This is more a comment on the whole Top Something-verse:
New Yorker cartoon

ritalinsmoothie

ritalinsmoothie

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 4:04 PM

Top Fug, no doubt about it.

Mother Hubbard

Mother Hubbard

Couch Potato

• Interests:Hippos, Classical Singing, Shopping

Posted Mar 16, 2007 @ 10:06 AM

Lizrd—
Thanks for the New Yorker cartoon link! My office is sharing it, and now we can't get any work done because we're laughing so hard!