Rules of Engagement: What Does Puddy's Jacket Predict?

• Please log in to reply

518 replies to this topic

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 11:33 AM

Not sure if anyone started discussion before the boards went down, but I'm hoping that this comedy will be worth watching. I like the dynamic of the single guy bragging about how great life is without being tied down...sounds alot like how some of my friends act, but they're generally not as funny as David Spade.

Of course, I'm really hoping that Patrick Warburton can get back to how funny he was on Seinfeld.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 12:34 PM

If the show makes me laugh as much as your thread title did, I'll be watching!!!!!

DrSnark

DrSnark

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 12:58 PM

I'd probably watch this if David Spade wasn't in it. It seems like he's trying to be Barney 2.0. And Barney Stinson he ain't.

LAgator77

LAgator77

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 1:40 PM

Yeah, isn't David Spade like 50? Time to hang it up bro.

Also, that stupid "shimmy" that he does in the promos makes me want to puke.

leew261

leew261

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 1:58 PM

"Outlook not so good"

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 2:26 PM

I manage to keep my dinner down; but I do want to take a shower.

Patrick Warburton has one of the great deadpan comic deliveries in all of television, and he deserves to be front and center of a huge hit. I don't think this is it.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 3:09 PM

Without looking on IMDb, the only TV role that comes to mind for me that Warburton has had was the ill-fated The Tick. I think now that he's back doing a sitcom, I think he'll probably get back to his Puddy days.

I don't mind Spade at all either. Maybe dancing isn't what what we need to see, but I love his banter from his "Hollywood Minute" days, so I'm willing to give him a break.

fuzzbear

fuzzbear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2007 @ 3:58 PM

Tivo gave me an eight-minute preview of the show today. I'm not at all impressed -- it's yet another "Being married sucks for guys" show, which I can't stand. It's a lot like 'Til Death (the Brad Garrett show on Fox), actually, but the women aren't nearly as entertaining as Joely Fisher. They're really shallow characters in the preview.

That really makes me sad, because Patrick Warburton's character's wife is played by Megyn Price, whom I stage-managed in a couple of shows at Stanford. I feel obligated to watch it because of her, though I didn't watch her last show, Grounded For Life, very much.

I also am a fan of Warburton from his Tick days, but this preview didn't even make me half-smile once. His character at least isn't as angry as Garrett's in 'Til Death, and Price's character seems to enjoy being married, so it's not as hateful as TD.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2007 @ 4:11 PM

There is only one reason I won't be watching. David Spade. All the Puddy love in the world isn't enough to make me sit through 30 minutes of David's same old single guy routine.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2007 @ 6:33 PM

Same here. I like Warburton and there's something appealing about Oliver Hudson in the commercials, but one glimpse of that sleazy, hateful bad actor Spade and I reach for my garlic necklace and turn the channel.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

I enjoyed the TiVo preview, but I just can't imagine being able to stand David Spade. He's not believable in this role. And he has an absolutely annoying shtick. I might still give it a shot, as I like Hudson and Warburton, but I don't know how it'll turn out.

c3k

c3k

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2007 @ 3:38 PM

if nothing else, I'm willing to give it a shot. I did enjoy Spade's schtick in Tommy Boy and Black sheep, so maybe he can channel some of that humor.

RodeoMonkey

RodeoMonkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 7:34 PM

Warburton has had a fairly busy voiceover career of late, his best work being Joe on Family Guy & Brock Samson on Venture Brothers. It will be nice to actually see him again, though.

AvengingAngel

AvengingAngel

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2007 @ 11:54 PM

The premise seems pretty tired. Plus, it has David Spade as a regular. Count me out.

alynn

alynn

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 2:47 AM

I liked this show the first time when it was called "For Your Love" and was full of black people.

Lu Bu

Lu Bu

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 12:55 PM

Patrick Warburton, David Spade and the other guy (can't remember his name) were at the Super Bowl yesterday probably just so CBS could do one of those "stars at the game" bits/promos. Anyway, Phil Simms -- the color commentator -- didn't get the memo. After the shot of Puddy and Spade, Simms said something like: "If those guys were on a hit show, they'd be in a luxury suite and not out in the rain getting soaked."

Pretty funny stuff.

Stuckinowhere

Stuckinowhere

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 1:02 PM

I saw that too. They would have been good seats if it hadn't started raining. I've liked Warburton even before he was Puddy on Seinfeld, when he had a recurring role on Dave's World(hey, it starred Judge Harry). I'm still mad that The Tick got canceled but I might give this show a try.

Hello Ball

Hello Ball

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 1:43 PM

My best hope to cling to is that this will end up as "The Emperor's New Groove LIVE."

Stuckinowhere

Stuckinowhere

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 1:54 PM

Holy crap I forgot about that movie! Thanks Hello Ball! I did enjoy that one as a rare funny Disney animated movie.

Edited by Stuckinowhere, Feb 5, 2007 @ 1:55 PM.

bartleby301

bartleby301

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 2:04 PM

That is the "two wild and crazy guys" dance Dan Ackryod (when he was thin) and Steve Martin (when he didn't have silver...oh wait, he always had silver hair) did from SNL from, like, 30 years ago -- they were the Eastern European "swingers" always trying to score American chicks.

Gotta go with avoiding this one because of David Spade. He was amusing in "Just Shoot Me," less so in the John Ritter comedy (can't remember the name), and now he's just craptacular.

Aimee Myers

Aimee Myers

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2007 @ 9:47 PM

I love Spade. I have a video that my friend made for me of all of his good clips on SNL. Good stuff.

Warburton is amazing. He single handedly stole The Emperors New Groove. I enjoyed him on Less Than Perfect too. Plus he's pretty.

I think I'm going to like this show

Ionadryer

Ionadryer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 2:39 AM

When did David Spade get fat?

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 8:22 AM

I watched the show last night. Horrid. I just hope it doesn't ruin "Old Christine", the way that one show with Jenna Elfman ruined "Out of Practice", when it was temporarily moved.

Newly-engaged couple and longer-married couple? That's original (sarcasm) - but I knew that going in. I also know this is the pilot episode, and it takes some time for the acting and writing to jell. However, there was not one thing funny here. Where do TV writers get their ideas about relationships?

I like Patrick Warburton, and he isn't horrible here; he just doesn't have anything interesting to do. It makes sense to do the role deadpan, since there is nothing interesting going on. However, I'm already ignoring Brad Garrett play the same role, the exact same way, over on FOX.

I have no idea who this scuzzy-looking Oliver Hudson is, but was completely uninterested in his role. Points for not making the newbie into some kind of wide-eyed nerd, akin to Steve on "Married with Children" (who I liked, but the role has become cliché), but nothing. The whole business with the cake plate? Really? And did he really think he would be able to hang his sports gear in her apartment? Does he not own a television? Has he not seen his play out in every single show about a couple?

And I get that, in real life, David Spade is Charlie Sheen without the family pedigree. For some reason, he can't pull it off on TV. And he keeps trying. Obviously, he wants to avoid the clean-cut, ambiguously gay image that he rode to glory on "SNL" and "Just Shoot Me" and in "Tommy Boy". Yet this image doesn't work. Much worse, it's boring.

This leaves the women. That's right - they aren't even worth naming, as they are just so generic. The "I'm not going to tell him why I'm angry", "I registered for a cake plate, but don't expect me to bake" lines they get - plus the fact that they aren't in the promos - prove that they could be played by cut-outs without anyone noticing. And I love Megyn Price; she is so much better than this role. As for the other one? Well, you'll just have to tell me when they get to the episode when she sends Mr. Hudson out to buy feminine hygiene products for the first time (shouldn't be too far away).

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

As others have noted, Spade's character is off partially because it's already being played by the younger and better-looking Neil Patrick Harris on a show that's one of the best written currently on television.

But I do really like Patrick Warbuton and thought he was hilarious. Oliver Hudson was hit-or-miss, but I'm more than willing to give him some time to get into the sitcom groove.

The show fell into cliche a few too many times, but it still has some real potential. I'll keep watching.

SanDiego

SanDiego

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

I will keep watching, but will probably mute and fast forward through every scene that doesn't have Puddy in it. Oh, and the laugh track MUST DIE.

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:28 AM

It's a lot like 'Til Death (the Brad Garrett show on Fox), actually, but the women aren't nearly as entertaining as Joely Fisher.

Heh, pretty much. And part of the plot was almost the same as the plot of the only episode of Til Death I ever watched... Young Couple wants to compromise on stuff... man finds out that woman gets her way.... hibbity bibbity flibbity jibbity... a plot so old I think I heard it's hip snap.

I did love that line from Warburton though... even though it was in the promos... "She wanted to get a cat. I didn't want to get a cat. So we compromised. And we got a cat."

That's a pretty great line and Warburton is hilarious with it. He kills me, even though I see enough cartoons (directly and indirectly) that it seems as if I hear his voice all the damn time.

Not real sold on catching this show again, but maybe. Weird to see Spade play the charming-cad type... Not totally annoyed by him yet though.

Edited by Wacoshade, Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:29 AM.

andme

andme

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:32 AM

The show fell into cliche a few too many times, but it still has some real potential. I'll keep watching.

I agree. There were some points where i laughed out loud, but there were also some very tired, cliched points. Hopefully they'll work out the kinks.

I like David Spade, but I have to agree that he's miscast in this. Good lord, he's a shrimp and has the same hairdo I had in junior high. Yeah right, the chicks are falling all over him.

HAB

HAB

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

I have no idea who this scuzzy-looking Oliver Hudson is,

Goldie Hawn's son.

winolisa

winolisa

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 9:47 AM

I will give it another chance even though I was not "wowed" by anything specifically.

I too love Warburton who will forever be known to me as Puddy. I can take or leave David Spade but the engaged couple, both of them, were just completely boring and superfluous. I realize that the entire premise revolves around them but I think it would be much better without them or at least with better actors in their roles.

Actually, I think the whole show would be better if the writing wasn't so substandard. I like Puddy and Megyn Price and they did wonders with what they had to work with but I think the writing is mostly to blame. Great writing can sometimes overcome tired cliches.

Favorite line of the night: "Mongo like art."

thatsforsure

thatsforsure

Posted Feb 6, 2007 @ 11:09 AM

Dawson's Creek fans might have found it interesting that Eddie Doling (Joey's waiter bf) and the beautiful, gorgeous Natasha (star of film Dawson directed) are a couple in this crapfest. I can't believe how poor the writing was on this show. One cliche after another. Yeah we get it. Women are always right, men give in or they'll never get sex again, and this is why people want to get married. Except the last part. God if marriage was like it is on TV, what guy in their right mind would ever take the plunge.