6-6: "My Musical" 2007.01.18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

263 replies to this topic

sometimes

sometimes

Fanatic

• Interests:Boston, MA

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

off topic

Mech5

Mech5

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:29 PM

It was pretty good for a musical, but it needed more Ted. And more Todd. And more Janitor.

MechaAlice

MechaAlice

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:30 PM

Interesting idea... but I'm not sure how I liked it. I need to watch it again to be sure. . I did really like Carla's dominican song, and I liked how the cast used their own voices, even if some of them aren't the best singers. But not sure how I liked it for an entire episode. I've felt the same way about most show's musical eps though, so maybe its just me.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:30 PM

Very cute episode, sweet ending. But the only time I laughed out loud (or rather, snorted out loud) was Doug just shrugging and leaving the corpse after the opening number.

Bob Kelso cracks me up. He is totally Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast.

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Now that was a GREAT ep.

My top three songs...

1 - GUY LOVE! "The only man who's ever been inside of meeeeeee........"

2 - Poo Song

3 - Cox' JD drives me crazy

sometimes

sometimes

Fanatic

• Interests:Boston, MA

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:32 PM

I thought it was fitting that the last few strains reminded me of that Mary Poppins song, a spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down, in the most delightful way.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:34 PM

As J.D. said when he came back from the carnival with the Spiderman face....

THAT WAS AWESOME!!!

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:36 PM

I really liked it. I thought the way they set up the actual singing part was pretty good, it made sense. I can't really say which ones I liked best. The "Poo" song and "Guy Love" I heard online a couple of times so I'm leaving them out. "I'm Dominican" and the Rent-like song were pretty good.

What I found most interesting was seeing who had good voices. Kelso of course cause Ken Jenkins done musicals, Ted, Turk, Carla, and JD I also wasn't surprised about, but I didn't know Neil Flynn had such a good voice. And I didn't think Sarah Chalke's voice was bad.

rock lobster

rock lobster

Loyal Viewer

I usually hate it when shows do musicals, but I found this oddly fitting. And the songs were catchy! Carla's Dominican song is still stuck in my head.

Arion

Arion

Video Archivist

Well it seems I have a new favorite Scrubs episode. To me, that was maybe the best half hour of television I've seen. Sure it wasn't laugh out loud funny, but it came together beautifully and I was smiling throughout the whole thing.

My favorite song had to be Carla and Turk's Dominican song. Judy Reyes has a great voice, so does the actor that plays Ted.

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:39 PM

He is totally Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast

Ahh, that reminded my of Jerry Orbach. Now i'm sad.

The whole episode was alright, but "Guy Love" was one of the greatest sitcom inventions of all time.

ajcollin

ajcollin

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:40 PM

I really liked it. I only had one problem, and it was that "Guy Love" (great as it was) came out of nowhere. What spurred Turk and J.D. to talk about their love for each other?

Looooooved the last song, though. It was so touching. Oh, and I'm totally buying the soundtrack on iTunes tomorrow.

Edited by ajcollin, Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:42 PM.

BluesBassist

BluesBassist

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:41 PM

INSTANT CLASSIC!

I broke three ribs, soaked thru the sleeves of two sweatshirts wiping tears of laughter out of my eyes, and yes, peed a little.

If that isn't an Emmy, if only for the ambition, we need to pitch in and buy our own island so we don't have to deal with the lesser beings anymore.

Man, I'm rough on them sometimes, but tonight I bow to the southwest.

The only quibble, and it's minor, is that Johnny C. can't lip sync worth a damn. But then again, his rant flew by so quick, you pretty much have to give him a pass.

Hell, even Sarah hit her notes, and she's not supposed to be able to sing a lick (I'm sure the 'Hell Is For Children' joke was a tip o' the cap to realsies.

kzoogal

kzoogal

Couch Potato

• Interests:(besides tv and TWoP): knitting, spinning, killing interloper plant life forms in my yard, the world of Mac computers

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

Just had to note: TiVo sometimes adds links to little commercial videos to the end of shows, and at the end of this epi, the TiVo ad tag line at the bottom of the credits was "Puerto Rico: you don't need a passport." (or something very similar). Don't mention this to Carla.

Ooh, ooh--and didja notice in the big Welcome to Sacred Heart number, the guy with the STD was a ringer for Joey Tribbiani, when he did the STD public service poster? Can't wait to find a guide with all the in-jokes and allusions.

Edited by kzoogal, Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:51 PM.

snowfall

snowfall

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:50 PM

That just rocked! I thought it would be cheesy cause it was when Chicago Hope did it but it worked for Scrubs. Probably because Scrubs is a comedy unlike CH. So that helped.

ronnie889

ronnie889

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:50 PM

I don't know - It was okay, it wasn't my favorite Scrubs episode ever - but I like how it was done. The lighting changes specifically.

I liked Turk and J.D's song along with Dr. Cox's and Carla's songs as well.

I like my Scrubs best when it's serious, so I love that it had a little drama in it.

It was a cute episode which I enjoyed.

Where was the guest star from? Was she ever on broadway?

jedicaboose

jedicaboose

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

Thursdays truly are awesome.

My Name is Earl posts on TWoP for realsies during the show, The Office gives us A Manager and a Salesmen, and then we get "Guy Love" on Scrubs.

My brain's about to melt from juicy overload.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

Absolutely. Stephanie D'Abruzzo was one of the two original stars of Avenue Q (she's a Sesame Street puppeteer as well as a hell of a singer), was nominated for a Tony award for it, and was recently in an off-Broadway musical. Some of the songs for this episode were coincidentally also written by the Avenue Q writers.

Edited by Rinaldo, Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:58 PM.

MisMichie

MisMichie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Holy f**king cr*p!!!

Did you see that?

I have never laughed so hard in my life. All that hype (over two months worth) did NOT disappoint.

These lyrics must be memorized. Especially Dr. Cox's Rant Song.

It. Was. F***ing. AMAZING.

THAT is how you do a musical episode..

I was so sad for the character. When they showed her bald head, I thought that the diagnosis had been cancer and she was getting chemo. It was so sad.

The opening sequence made a big leap into the musical really quickly, which jolted me a bit but they didn't exactly have a lot of time to lead into the musical stuff.

Genius. I was singing along with "Everything Comes Down To Poo" and "Guy Love" and I was eager to keep up with Cox's rant.
Hee. The Janitor was AMAZING!!
The Dominican Tango was hilarious and so well done. The 'Welcome to Sacred Heart' was great though I am not sure if they were going for an Annie "I think I'm gonna like it here" jab or a jab at "Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast. I think it's the latter

Love. Love. Love.

Oh, and Sarah Chalke CAN sing.

Edited by MisMichie, Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:58 PM.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:59 PM

That would be the adorable Stephanie D'Abruzzo, who worked with Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx on Avenue Q.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:06 PM

Is there anyplace that lists the full song credits for the show? That was a lot of songs, and although some were written by the Avenue Q guys, there were other writers as well.

There's also a commentary track available at the NBC website (I haven't heard it yet).

snav0561

snav0561

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:10 PM

While I loved the songs, it was the dancing that got me smiling. I musical just isn't a musical without the fancy steppin, and I was fairly impressed with much of the dancing, particularly Turk's.

Overall I loved the whole thing, particularly the different styles they used. In the begging I half expected the Muppets to pop out and start singing Happiness Hotel.

MisMichie

MisMichie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:12 PM

I don't know if there are full song credits...I didn't see any.

I believe though, that (according to the Avenue Q guy in a video blog) a lot of the lyrics were written by one of the writers (I forget who) as rough outlines for the script, and most of her lyrics stuck.

I have a feeling that the Avenue Q guys, in addition to fine-tuning some of the lyrics and probably writing a few numbers, they were mainly responsible for putting the lyrics into the music.

Which was the "Rent" song? Was that the last song with "You'll Be Okay"? And what was that song with all the intermittent lines (when each character voiced their worries in their heads..."How will I tell him..How will I tell him...How will I tell her...")??

Loandbehold

Loandbehold

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

Deborah (sp?) Foreman was the writer and did most of the songs. She and Sarah Chalke did the podcast.

riffola

riffola

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

I loved this episode a lot. Every single song was good and it great seeing even Doug getting into the singing thing.

BluesBassist

BluesBassist

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:28 PM

Deb Fordham wrote the ep, and the songs are in the credits if you let your TiVo or VCR run long enough.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:32 PM

I thought the songs were all really good, and they did a great job with it, but I wish it had been an hour long, or at least 45 minutes, because I think it needed a bit more recovery time between songs.

help me lucy

help me lucy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

Okay, over the course of this season, I've been gradually losing enthusiasm for Scrubs and was beginning to feel such despair that I would never get the love back, but that? That was brilliance. So worth the hype!

The Dominican song was by far my favorite, but that's saying a lot because there wasn't a moment in that half hour I didn't love. Oh, Scrubs, how could I ever think you'd let me down?!

tone

tone

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:36 PM

When I heard about the musical, jumping the shark did come to mind. Glad I was wrong. They did a good job. I guess the only semi-regulars that didn't appear and add their voices were Jordan and Keith. A Jordan moment could have been fun.

There was also no mention of Keith moving in with Elliot. I guess it's a given he will be.

lillipad

lillipad

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:37 PM

Things to love:
-Doug's hair
-Ted's band is always loved, but the toupee was hilarious. You can't have a musical without The Worthless Peons. And with the toupee that one guy who was going to leave won't be the only one with hair. (Sorry, thanks to Comedy Central and WGN, I've been on Scrubs overload)
-Cox's rant, especially how he mimed rocking a baby when he mentioned JD wanting to be his son
-how seamlessly they would go from regularScrubs to musicalScrubs when the patient of the week would go by

AH! I know there was so much more, but the three NBC sitcoms I watch hit it out the park tonight and I've having trouble concentrating.