The DVD That Isn't (Yet)

• Please log in to reply

130 replies to this topic

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2011 @ 1:43 AM

Does anyone know if the early (first nine) seasons will ever be available for purchase on iTunes?

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2011 @ 7:15 PM

So I bought the first ten seasons on DVD, and am glad I did. The picture quality is much better than the iTunes seasons, and it looks like there are plenty of commentaries and special features, which I'll revisit after I've watched all of the seasons. Except, one thing: why do several seasons (the first two plus Vanuatu, at least) announce the boot order right on the DVD case? Borneo literally has right on the back of the DVD cases, "Episode 1 - Sonja voted out", and so forth; Vanuatu and Australia just have pictures of the contestants on the fronts of the cases, placed in the order they're voted out, but that's worse, in a way, because it's harder to ignore.

I was looking forward to watching Vanuatu semi-unspoiled---I know Chris wins, I know Eliza and Ami either play wel enough or are "characters" enough to be invited back, and I remember hearing the names "Twila" and "Scout", which could mean either that they do well and are memorable Survivor characters, or it could mean that when you hear there's a grown adult named "Scout" on national TV, you remember that even if they come seventeenth. Now my semi-unspoiledness has been ruined by these pictures.

I'm going to have to take Pearl Islands, Amazon, and All-Stars out of their packaging without looking at the fronts, because I'm even less spoiled for those, and want to stay that way (I know the winners, I know Rupert's from Pearl Islands, and I know that one of them has Rob Cesternino and one of them has Jonny Fairplay, but I don't even know which is on which). I guess it's not fair to expect a DVD that doesn't spoil the show for you when it's from fourteen seasons ago and when probably most DVD-buyers are superfans and not first-time watchers, but still.

AgentLex

AgentLex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

Survivor Guatemala and Survivor Exile Island are available for preorder on Amazon.com.

TMO

TMO

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:44 AM

If I'm reading this correctly, these are the official box sets from CBS and not the Amazon-styled products like S6/S20?

Blue Stingray

Blue Stingray

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, these are the official box sets from CBS and not the Amazon-styled products like S6/S20?

TMO, it looks just the opposite to me. They say "DVD-R Note: This product is manufactured on demand when ordered from Amazon.com." I'm pretty annoyed by this gimmick - I was all set to order some of the older seasons to re-watch before I realized several of them are cheap DVD-R crap I could get from eBay, for the same price as actual DVD box sets.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

I'm pretty annoyed by this gimmick - I was all set to order some of the older seasons to re-watch before I realized several of them are cheap DVD-R crap I could get from eBay, for the same price as actual DVD box sets.

Have you never seen one of the CreateSpace sets yet? I wouldn't call them cheap DVD-R crap. The things that lack, I'll admit, are non-specific chapter stops and maybe the overall packaging (i.e. no slip cases). And yes, they don't put the money into getting commentaries and retrospective special features. But the actual episodes and disc art are as good as the store-bought sets and for seasons I haven't seen in good quality in several years, that's good enough for me. I'm just glad to have the shows -- beggars can't be greedy.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

Is there any difference at all between this sort of DVD and what you can buy on iTunes? (Even if there isn't, I'm seriously considering buying Panama, because the higher the sales are, the likelier it is they'll bring Aras back someday. A boy can dream.)

Blue Stingray

Blue Stingray

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

I'm pretty annoyed by this gimmick - I was all set to order some of the older seasons to re-watch before I realized several of them are cheap DVD-R crap I could get from eBay, for the same price as actual DVD box sets.

Have you never seen one of the CreateSpace sets yet? I wouldn't call them cheap DVD-R crap. The things that lack, I'll admit, are non-specific chapter stops and maybe the overall packaging (i.e. no slip cases). And yes, they don't put the money into getting commentaries and retrospective special features. But the actual episodes and disc art are as good as the store-bought sets and for seasons I haven't seen in good quality in several years, that's good enough for me. I'm just glad to have the shows -- beggars can't be greedy.

I don't care about commentaries or specials, but they're charging as much (and in some cases more) than for the seasons that are actual box sets. I don't think I'm the one being greedy here.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

... but they're charging as much (and in some cases more) than for the seasons that are actual box sets.

In terms of episode quality, they're as good as the actual box sets. That's why I don't mind. In my previous post, I was the greedy beggar in question.

Edited by Bob Sambob, Mar 29, 2012 @ 11:58 PM.

AgentLex

AgentLex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

Pretty much what Sambob said. Before the DVD-R releases, it was almost impossible to watch S3-S6 in any good quality. Personally, I don't see a big difference in the official box sets and the DVD-R sets other than the lack of extras, which I could care less about.

Blue Stingray

Blue Stingray

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

In terms of episode quality, they're as good as the actual box sets. That's why I don't mind. In my previous post, I was the greedy beggar in question.

No, that's cool, I actually meant "we're" (the ones buying the stuff) aren't the greedy beggars ;) I wouldn't have an issue if they charged less for the on demand discs than for the full blown box sets. I have the first All Stars season on DVD and it's the traditional boxed set of 6 discs, extras, etc. I think it currently costs $19.99 on Amazon. It was probably about $35 on release. Last time I checked, the Africa season, MOD with no box, is $31.99, which is more in line with box set prices. It obviously costs them less to produce it than All Stars, but is about 75% more. That's what I object to.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

I've always bought Survivor sets the first week of release, and pretty much all of the store-bought seasons were between $30 and $35, based on the discounts most media gets after initial release, and then went up afterward. I don't remember exactly, but the "All-Star" set was more expensive than that at the time of release, probably because it had 8 discs. And all of the store-bought seasons have dropped in price drastically over the last five years, as have most full-season TV sets.

For what it's worth, these Amazon/CreateSpace sets always list at over $30 for pre-order, but they've all dropped to something like $24 or $25 by the week they come out. I truly believe it's the best option. The only real question is whether they'll be able to release everything post-Gabon on Blu-ray since they were shot in HD (HvV is already out, but not in hi-def, so if you bought on iTunes in hi-def, hold on to them until a Blu-ray becomes an option).

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:25 PM

Amazon has dropped the preorder prices for the new sets to $23.99 each.
Here's the link for Guatemala.
Here's the link for Exile Island.

AgentLex

AgentLex

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Guatemala now has a release date of May 22nd. No date on Exile Island yet.

ratherbereading

ratherbereading

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 12:08 AM

Exile Island is also May 22nd. I just put in my pre-order.

I've also been on somewhat of an ordering frenzy getting Cook Islands, Micronesia, Fiji, Tocanitins and Redemption Islands on Instant Video. (I own a Kindle Fire so I love the option of being able to watch these via the Fire, my computer or my TV that I have hooked up to my laptop.)

Giesela1000

Giesela1000

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 29, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I'm not savvy on the tv series thing. Generally I understand that some shows have never been officially released by the official authority. Or if they have not necessarily at original show quality, like Northern Exposure for example. The actual 'official' versions don't have original music and a lot of fans don't like them.
Am just starting to try to figure out what's going on with Survivor. I'd like to watch the older seasons I never saw but am a little too impatient to do it one disk at a time on Netflix. However I'm not sure I'm a big enough fan to pay 36.00 a season.
What are DVD-R that is being discussed above? What are the 1-23 seasons offered on ioffer for 103.00? Are these someone's own home product?
Guess I'm trying to figure out what my choices here are.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

I don't know anything about the ioffer DVDs, but I assume those are bootleg copies since not all the seasons have been released yet.

A few of the seasons have traditional DVD releases. Borneo, Outback, All-Stars, Pearl Islands, Vanuatu, and Palau are the only ones, I think.

The DVD-R seasons are those that are being offered through Amazon only and are manufactured on demand. Right now, they have Africa, Marquesas, Thailand, Amazon, Guatemala, Exile Island, and Heroes vs. Villians. Some of the Amazon reviewers have complained about the quality and appearance of the disks, but I have both the Africa and Marquesas seasons, and they're fine. The disks and packaging look the same as the standard DVD releases, but there are only two episodes per disk so you end up with nine disks instead of the usual four. From the way some of the reviewers described their disks, it sounds like they may have bought from private sellers through Amazon Marketplace and not from Amazon itself and then ended up with homemade copies.

Amazon also offers a lot of the later seasons via streaming video. I think iTunes still does this as well.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 3:13 AM

A few of the seasons have traditional DVD releases. Borneo, Outback, All-Stars, Pearl Islands, Vanuatu, and Palau are the only ones, I think.

As one person who does own all these seasons, I can confirm this is correct; the first two seasons then seasons 7 through 10.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the official Survivor DVD releases, which does include the Amazon On-Demand DVD-R sets. (Amazon also has box art for the next two seasons, but no release date yet.) Any season not on that list is an unofficial/bootleg release.

A note about a couple releases on that list. There are 2 items listed for each of the first 2 seasons; one full season set, and a "Greatest Hits" disc. The Greatest Hits discs were released years before CBS/Mark Burnett realized there was a section of the audience that would watch the entire season over again. So they made a compilation disc of the overall season, highlighting each player (in boot order) by showing snippets of their audition reels, memorable moments from the show (including bonus footage), and exit interviews.

So they're a bit like the recap episodes in the later seasons, but covering the entire show. Or like a separate disc of special features that come in some DVD releases. So it makes a hell of a lot of sense that they included these pre-existing DVDs in the full season sets once they decided to make those.

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

The disks and packaging look the same as the standard DVD releases, but there are only two episodes per disk so you end up with nine disks instead of the usual four.

The Africa, Marquesas and HvV sets have two episodes per disc for a total of nine discs in three cases with no slipcase. The Thailand, Amazon, Guatemala and Exile island sets have gone back to the four episodes per disc and just one case. Word is they are redoing those first three sets for conformity, and I've heard they plan to fix the HvV set to include the last Ponderosa episode that was left off the original release (the one where the finalists return).

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 3, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

I think they've got to get back to really loading these DVD releases with special features. That's the only reason that a new-content crowd would even buy them. That, and all the Survivor Youtube channels that stood undisturbed for years all got wiped out randomly at one time. I don't even care if they had to bring people back 5 years after they've played their season just to provide commentary, it's worth it.

I would honestly pay $75 or more for a box set of one of the premier seasons of the show that crossed into unknown territory for box sets by putting commentary on every single episode. I have no idea why a show hasn't gotten smart about doing that yet, they're all sticking to the conventional wisdom that one commentary per disc is satisfactory. One of these days there's going to be a remastered, series box set of a show like The Sopranos or 24 that's finally going to offer comprehensive commentary.

That, and the YEARS worth of footage of these seasons that have never seen the light of day, is what could actually get these DVDs to sale at serious levels. The ratings indicate that the show is winding down and might only have a handful of seasons left so they should really get everything they can out of the franchise by pushing quality box sets that just don't exist yet in competition-based reality TV.

Yogurt Baron

Yogurt Baron

Fanatic

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I assume they must have done market research of some kind and deemed it inefficient. I mean, you'd pay $75 for a quality box set. So would I. But such a thing would probably cost more than $150 to produce, right? The "superfan" community is a small one.

Unconditional

Unconditional

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

It costs nowhere near that much money to manufacture mass-produced media like DVD box sets. It costs them absolutely nothing to slap the bare-bones content that they already have edited onto the DVDs like all the episodes, the secret scenes, and the unedited TC voting/comments. They wouldn't even have to pay the cast that much to provide commentary, as most shows have already figured out they can add commentary to their DVDs by using Skype from their homes. The only costs they'd have to incur are whatever they'd have to pay in editing to go back and separate everything into episodic form if they wanted to do that.

Some of the best DVD box sets that shows have put out (Lost, 24) were done with a very small budget. If Survivor wanted to go down that road they absolutely could with as much money as they blow on other things that viewers get absolutely nothing out of.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

Just got an email today from Amazon that Cook Islands and Fiji are now available for pre-order.

AgentLex

AgentLex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Cook Islands and Fiji will be available December 11th.

Armistead

Armistead

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

I just watch it on youtube. One guy had every season up, but got took down. Still, you can find most seasons if you look hard enough. I know Gabon, Cook, Samoa, Borneo, are still up.

mojoween

mojoween

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

I'm so excited for Cook Islands I cannot even tell you. I will be getting it next Tuesday as soon as I get out of work. Thanks for the Christmas gift, Survivor!

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

Just got the Fiji set and each episode is missing the opening theme song and tribe photos. I suppose it's some sort of rights issue, but why Fiji and none of the other previous 13 sets? The episodes themselves look great and all the usual bonus features are there, BUT I WANT MY SURVIVOR THEME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Sambob

Bob Sambob

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

Wasn't Fiji the first season that went with the shorter credit sequence in the first place? Pretty sure. I was outraged when it happened on TV from week to week. But it's not just a DVD thing.

Edited by Bob Sambob, Dec 18, 2012 @ 9:35 AM.

Resmudge

Resmudge

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

I've only seen the first episode so far on DVD and also noticed that the opening theme song was missing, but I played the beginning of the second episode and it's there. What I thought was strange though is that the picture is so bright. It's not like normal remastering; it looks like it was recorded on video rather than film. I might have to find my old VHS tapes of Fiji to see if it had a different look when it first aired, but I don't think it did.

discorules

discorules

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

I'm surprised Amazon didn't release the next 2 volumes on DVD this spring in conjunction with Caramoan. Anybody got any info or updates on DVDs?