The DVD That Isn't (Yet)

• Please log in to reply

130 replies to this topic

Waitohooru

Waitohooru

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

Hey, there was a topic like this in the Amazing Race forum, so I thought we should have one for Survivor.

I think we need to talk about the seasons of Survivor that aren't on DVD yet... in other words: Africa, Marquesas, Thailand, Amazon, Guatemala, Exile Island, and Cook Islands. Oh, and Fiji, even though it isn't even on the air yet!

Bruce the Duck

Bruce the Duck

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 9:56 PM

Yeah, it really annoys me that they keep skipping over the older seasons, like Africa. I don't need to see "Palau" on DVD. It just aired a couple years ago. Let's have "Africa" finally!

I don't really care much about the releases of Marquesas, Thailand, or Amazon (unless it's the uncensored version ;) ), but I definately want to see Africa again. That has to be the only TV series that releases its seasons out of order. It's so dumb.

Waitohooru

Waitohooru

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2007 @ 8:30 AM

There's also "The Real World". Only two seasons I know have been released --- the first season, and the twelfth season. I purchased the first season.

Seriously, skipping over the older seasons is annoying, and, to my knowledge, alienates longtime fans of the series. Why release Vanuatu, the SECOND "battle of the sexes" season on DVD, but not Amazon, which started the whole "battle of the sexes" concept, and was watched by more people?

FlippinChipmunk

FlippinChipmunk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 7:12 PM

I really, really want them to release Africa, Marquesas, or Amazon next. When do you guys think we'll hear of any news about the next DVD?

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 2:24 PM

I really want to see Africa as well. The only seasons that I have never watched were Africa and Marquesas (I saw a few episodes of Thailand but did not watch the full season) and I would like to see Africa the most. And my main reason is to see Lex fail much like he did in All-Stars. I know he was pretty much in charge during the Africa season and he still did not win. So that has to be funny. Even if he does not talk about greenbacks.

Nich337

Nich337

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 3:46 PM

I'd personally love to see Amazon on DVD. Rob Cesternino was the first player to do well by playing a really individualistic game as opposed to sticking to a solid alliance, and I think the season was much more fun to watch as a result. There were hints of that spirit in Marquesas, when the Rotu 4 were overthrown, but after that it was basically an alliance of five pushing towards the end. Of course, with the ever-increasing media exposure of Romber, that one might be more likely to be released soon.

FlippinChipmunk

FlippinChipmunk

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 4:05 PM

I'd be good with Marquesas being next, but I guess I want Amazon the most. I read at Sucks, Jenna Morasca said that she isn't sure what the next DVD is gonna be, or when it will be. We should be hearing something soon, though, so they could release it around summer time.

BK1978

BK1978

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2007 @ 4:32 PM

Where as I perfer that Africa would come out next. I would have no problem with Amazon coming out next. That was the first season that I watched from start to finish and it will always have a special place in my heart.

mfull1991

mfull1991

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

I sent an e-mail to Lex, and he said that he had heard some rumblings about a combine Africa-Marquesas DVD which he would of course be commenting on. He also said that he was not for sure about it.

FlippinChipmunk

FlippinChipmunk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2007 @ 11:48 AM

That would be amazing. I would rather them be seperate, but just as long as they get released, I'm all good!

Halloween Mojo

Halloween Mojo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

I want "Cook Islands" to come out next. That's the only Survivor that I could watch all the way through because I liked who the winner was.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

I don't want Cook Islands because I can still watch all the episodes on CBS's website.

I want either the Amazon (never seen it) or Guatemala (go Danni!) to come out next.

FlippinChipmunk

FlippinChipmunk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 3:16 PM

I'm going through withdrawals, so I'd take freakin' Thailand at this point! Come on & give us a new DVD, people!

Coach37

Coach37

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 27, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

I'll take any of the early seasons as the gap on my shelf that goes 1,2......7,8,9,10 needs to be filled.

Latsmile

Latsmile

Video Archivist

Posted May 4, 2007 @ 3:14 PM

All I want is Amazon. I've seen all of the seasons, I'm still a faithful viewer and I've never bought a Survivor DVD.

I adore Christy Smith, for me that season was all about her. I have a DVD of her talking (actually, signing) about her Survivor experience and when I look at that once in awhile all the love comes rushing back. I happened to be in a Linguistics class when Amazon aired, as part of a Deaf Studies Program. I did my semester long project on Christie and language in the Amazon. So because I was analyzing it, I feel like I have most of her scenes memorized. I'd loooove to see extra footage, maybe of her teaching Butch sign, etc. I'll have to remember to check back here to see if an Amazon DVD is ever released.

Coach37

Coach37

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 25, 2007 @ 12:45 PM

It's not even been a month since Fiji ended and I already have Survivor withdrawal. I've been looking for information on the next DVD release and found nothing. I was expecting a summer release for at least one of the earlier seasons but all the DVD release charts that go to September have nothing on Survivor. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2007 @ 1:32 PM

I bet the next one will be Cook Islands, just because it was controversial and lovable. Although I don't want that to be the next one.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2007 @ 6:54 AM

I too wish they'd have something new out soon. I'm about through with the last set of DVDs with commentary I haven't seen (Palau) and then I really will go through withdrawals.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Jun 17, 2007 @ 11:16 PM

I do wish they'd have done commentary on all the episodes, not just a few of them. I love hearing from Ian and Katie and Gregg, in particular. Steph doesn't have much to say except, "Oh, my gawwwwwwwwwwwwwwd, what a nightmare!" and Bobby Jon, while sweet, hasn't shared any real strategic insights in the first few I've seen. And Caryn is. . .Caryn, and Tom is kind of boring. But Ian and Katie are hilarious.

Edited by hegellite, Jun 17, 2007 @ 11:17 PM.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Jun 18, 2007 @ 9:41 AM

I'd love to see S3-Africa on DVD, since its the only season that I missed part of (the whole first half before the merge) and then missed it again when OLN was doing the repeats. They'd probably have to muzzle Lex if he was part of the commentary on the "know your teammates" challenge, since I understand there was a big mess up by the producers on that.

After S3, I'd love to see S11-Guatamala on DVD. They'd absolutely have to include Brian on the commentaries, he's so funny on his Strike-back blog.

Capricorn75

Capricorn75

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 3, 2007 @ 4:53 PM

Here would be my order of unreleased Survivor Seasons to be... well... released:

1. Marquesis
2. Cook Islands
3. Thailand
4. Guatemala
5. Africa
6. Exile Island
7. Amazon
8. Fiji
9. China

Stardancer2001

Stardancer2001

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 8:43 PM

I want Cook Islands so I can squee over Yul anytime I want.

ChiJeff

ChiJeff

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 7, 2007 @ 5:22 PM

Amazon would be my first choice for the next release but I will run out and buy what ever season is the next on dvd. I really thought we might get at least one season released this December what with Christmas and all. I keep checking Amazon but so far no new Survivor releases.

UngersPride

UngersPride

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2007 @ 7:31 PM

I am also looking forward to seeing past seasons of survivor on DVD.

CBS listens to its customers (note that Jericho was brought back from the dead because of fan requests).

So, if you want to see past seasons of survivor on DVD email CBS.

CBS EMAIL:

http://www.cbs.com/i...obal_form.shtml

Remember that to station executives:

One email represents 1,000 viewers.

So let your voice be heard.

Eponah

Eponah

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

I'd love for S3 to be released, as its the only season that I haven't seen all the way through (only saw it after the merge on the old OLN channel). Besides, hearing Lex's commentary after all this time should be pretty funny.

UngersPride

UngersPride

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2008 @ 7:00 PM

It does seem odd that the longest running, and most popular, reality show on TV (still garnering over 15 million viewers per episode) still has not released more seasons on dvd:

http://tinyurl.com/23rh6k

Currently, many of the past seasons are available only at iTunes:

http://www.survivordvd.com/

lapniappe

lapniappe

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2008 @ 1:16 AM

I'd love Africa - this was the season that brought into the fold of Survivor. If it had been any other season, (even Marqueases, which I loved or Amazon, also quite liked) I would never have tuned in - to be on dvd.

But for whatever reason my dvd player hates anything manufactured by CBS or Paramount so maybe it's a good thing LOL. but as some has said, really strange that they haven't made more. I know for at least the Seasons before All Stars should get them a LOT of coin. I'm not sure if I'd get anything else other than Cook Islands (for Jonathon) or Guatemala (MAYBE)

gunkulator

gunkulator

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:18 AM

I think the lack of DVDs is due to a lack of demand.

Although it's classed as a reality show, Survivor is ultimately a competition. As such it has much in common with televised sporting events. While The Superbowl may be the most watched program on television, there is pretty much zero market for DVDs of past Superbowls or other sporting events. Sure the camp life and drama of Survivor can be fun to see again, but a lot of the show focuses on challenges and they just aren't all that interesting to watch a second time.

Edited by gunkulator, Feb 19, 2008 @ 11:19 AM.

khaavren

khaavren

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 7:56 AM

lots of other "competitive" reality shows are released on DVD, though. Even shows with much poorer ratings, such as The Mole.

rhody

rhody

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2008 @ 12:08 PM

While The Superbowl may be the most watched program on television, there is pretty much zero market for DVDs of past Superbowls or other sporting events.

Check out NFL Films sometime. The NFL, and to a lesser extent the NBA, has done an excellent job marketing its archives. NFL Films has been around for more than 40 years.
Back on topic, I'd say lack of demand reflects the quality of the season we're discussing.