Ninja Warrior (Sasuke)

• Please log in to reply

817 replies to this topic

lambie

lambie

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 3:26 AM

That was embarrassingly stacked in US Team's favor. The Japanese team seemed to have a difficulty with timing where it was obvious all the US competitors have worked extensively on transitions and technique. They said that one of the Japanese competitors had built a replica course to practice on but I wondered how feasible that was in Japan. They showed at least one Japanese member working out in a traditional gym while the US team members were shown practicing on full-size obstacles. I also wondered when the Japanese team was flown in and if they had enough time to acclimate to the time change and weather. 

Dee Clutter

Dee Clutter

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 8:45 AM

I have no doubt in my mind that every Japanese competitor in this farce was paid to take a dive.

It would not be honorable in Japan to have taken a dive in an international competition where you are acknowledged as the superior performers.  It would destroy their credibility in Japan.  Besides, wouldn't the Japanese have said, let us win enough to "save face"?  

It could have been overconfidence … 

They showed at least one Japanese member working out in a traditional gym

Of course!  You think they are going to show their secret practice techniques? 

Edited by Dee Clutter, Jan 14, 2014 @ 8:49 AM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 9:23 AM

Chuck Norris wears Nagano PJs.

Ha!  I want some too.

I'm undecided on whether the Japanese were in some form of cahoots.  It seemed way too coincidental that they could have tied it on the 3rd obstacle course but the American's who have had limited success there won it on that and the decider on two of those races were nano-second wins.

In any event, this version of ANW was much preferred over the prior versions where they dragged tit out showing the regional competitions et al.

Taeolas

Taeolas

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

I don't mind the regional competitions, since you get a bit of variety in the course challenges that way. I do mind all the epic sob stories they clog things up with. Just introduce Joe Blow, then show how far he can make it on the course. I don't need to know how he's been training since his dad was born and his family was so poor he grew up on a dirt farm and so forth. Just let his actions speak for himself. (And that goes for Every Damn Game Show and Competition Show Out There.)

I started watching my recording around 11:20, and fast forwarding through the bios, I was done by 12:30 or so.

I don't think there were any intentional dives, though there might have been some tricky clockwork. Had there been any intentional shenanigans, they would have forced a tie to get onto the 4th course's tiebreaker. As it was, once I realized the second to the last 3rd Round runner was starting at 11:55 (on the PVR timer), I knew it was a wrap. 

That all said, it was an interesting run and overall challenge. I would've preferred less "Underdog! Masters!" talk, but for the most part the effort seemed honest (even if the Japanese team seemed a bit jetlagged).

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

I can't see that (taking a dive) happening. These guys are Sasuke diehards . . . no way would any of them accept a cent to make the Americans look better by comparison.

Is Ninja Warrior playing anywhere? I mean the real show, not ANW.

Edited by Lantern7, Jan 14, 2014 @ 2:00 PM.

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

Apparently the Japanese competitors arrived on a Friday night, and the event was taped that Sunday. Keep in mind that ANW5 was taped on Friday and Saturday, so the Americans essentially had practice runs just before the USA vs Japan competition (of course, you could also say that meant they were more tired).

As much as I love Shingo Yamamoto, he's way past his prime and hasn't even made it to the 3rd stage since Sasuke 23 in 2009. Levi Meeuwenberg or Brian Orosco would've been the closest American analogs in that they started off fantastically but have fizzled out a bit recently. 

According to reports from people who attended the taping, there was also a lot of creative editing involved in last night's broadcast. NBC apparently showed the matchups out of order to create more drama. Arsenette will be posting more details on her blog: http://ramblingrican.blogspot.com/  For now, the post dated January 10 has an adorable photo of Kanno wearing a Team Brent shirt while feeding his newbown.

General Guy

General Guy

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 14, 2014 @ 5:51 PM

I think the calls of people taking a dive or it being rigged are going way too far. I would say it's possible that the Japanese athletes just weren't as used to the course, since the Americans had just run it, or maybe they were still adjusting from the trip, but I'd also believe it was just the way it goes. It's Ninja Warrior. Even the most experience contestants can go out in surprising ways.

Little_Mac

Little_Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 11:51 AM

The Americans definitely had an advantage in that all of them ran the first two stages before. I remember how slippery the course was and having an extra day to get the right shoes was a huge advantage. Also, that salmon ladder bar messed up a lot of the elite stars before. Home field advantage was huge in this case.

The best part was seeing Arnold repeat his performance on the third stage. That was very impressive.