Ninja Warrior (Sasuke)

• Please log in to reply

817 replies to this topic

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 1:31 AM

I forgot about ANW. I think more fans wouldn't want a separation between the American and Japanese runs. If this was a network show? Okay, I could see it . . . but not G4.

Caught up with S27 last night. Happy that Nagano finally got the failure monkey off his broad back. But I wasn't paying attention when Lee Yen Chin (the Taiwanese guy) wiped out. Did he screw up on the first obstacle?

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

But I wasn't paying attention when Lee Yen Chin (the Taiwanese guy) wiped out. Did he screw up on the first obstacle?

Pretty much. He let one of his legs dangle a shade too low at the end of the step slider so that he drug a toe through the water as he slid on the rope.

I just really hope that we have new announcers. No offense to the guys that do it now, but they just sound like they're reading 3x5 cards. They just don't seem invested.

ANW could stand to have a bit more cheese and ridiculousness and enthusiasm. Sasuke is suppose to be fun! ANW seems a bit too serious for me.

Cosigned. I think if we could get to somewhere around an Alton Brown on ICA or John Anderson (The 'straight man') on Wipeout, I think ANW would present a lot better.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Thank you G4 for showing the seasons where someone was Kanzenseiha. I've never seen those eps before.

I forgot about ANW. I think more fans wouldn't want a separation between the American and Japanese runs. If this was a network show? Okay, I could see it . . . but not G4.

I personally wouldn't want a separation, but if they aren't featureing ANW competitors on Sasuke anyway, then ANW needs to be bigger than just featuring ten competitors.

Not to be insensitive there's only so many times I can hear about a guy competing in memory of his girlfriend before I'm rolling my eyes and changing the channel.

I think if we could get to somewhere around an Alton Brown on ICA or John Anderson (The 'straight man') on Wipeout, I think ANW would present a lot better.

I would LOVE Alton Brown as a commentator! He really makes Iron Chef America.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 3:01 AM

From what I've read, ANW Vegas is going to be a network show. NBC is supposed to air the run of the 100 regional finalists. G4 may be airing the regionals, and since the parent show is actually airing on their network, they're doing the advertising.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Being grandchampion just once is amazing but twice is incredible, and to do it two times out of four competitions is unreal. I admit it got a little dusty in my apartment when that happened.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

Wow. Congrats to Urushihara Yuuji (whose name I had to look up, sad to say) for the second title.

I gotta ask: was the Cliff Hanger dumbed down a little? Suddenly, three guys were able to clear it. The way it was in past tourneys, Spider-Man would be sweating the tiny handholds. Or have the challengers finally evolved to the point where the obstacles have to be even more hellish?

If Yuuji's double-victory was the headline, Mokoto Nagano's rebirth has to be story #2 or #3. Great that he finally made it back to the third stage, but sucks that he couldn't pass the Cliff Hanger. Does that mean that the evolution of the All-Stars has stalled out, and they're not going to be a factor in future tourneys?

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I gotta ask: was the Cliff Hanger dumbed down a little? Suddenly, three guys were able to clear it. The way it was in past tourneys, Spider-Man would be sweating the tiny handholds. Or have the challengers finally evolved to the point where the obstacles have to be even more hellish?

That's what happens when you have competitors building their own courses so they can constantly prepare/pratice at it. That's why there was a time we'd be lucky to see five guys complete the first stage and now we have a dozen or so competitors do it. Which is why I also disagree with the notion that it's just fun and that we Americans take it too seriously. No, the Japanese competitors are serious about this too. But I do agree they are going to have to add some new challenges that people haven't practiced or prepared for although even that won't be completely effective. This current course had a couple of things that Urushihara hadn't faced before but he was so well trained for the other challenges that it didn't matter.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 13, 2012 @ 12:38 PM.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

If Yuuji's double-victory was the headline, Mokoto Nagano's rebirth has to be story #2 or #3.

Agreed. The big 3 stories of this tournament were the 3 men in the final US episode; Urushihara's Double Kansenseiha, Matachi's mini-course leading to Stage 4, and Nagano's return to Stage 3. With #4 going to Hashimoto being the first man to beat the Ultimate Cliffhanger. And #5 going to the American contingent.

Does that mean that the evolution of the All-Stars has stalled out, and they're not going to be a factor in future tourneys?

Well, Yamamoto is still going to show up at every tourney until he's older than the Octopus is now. And Nagano is still going to try. As for the rest? Unknown.

It may be time to rename the groups; the New Stars becoming the All-Stars, and the current All-Stars becoming...what? Teachers? Legends? I'm sure there's an appropriate word in Japanese....

Edited by SVNBob, Mar 14, 2012 @ 2:23 AM.

Mooncake76

Mooncake76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 4:19 AM

I was wondering about the ultimate cliff hanger and why no one from the US team cleared it when they seemed to do well on a different version during the ANW boot camp. After watching S27, it seems that the guys who ended up completing it were swinging a bit more, letting their momentum help them across the gaps. I don't recall the guys from ANW doing that? Or am I remembering wrong? They all seemed to have really good upper body strength. I find myself wondering what the ideal body type would be do complete one of these. Yuuji is only 5'3 and 120 lbs and looks like a bean pole. There has to be some ideal ratio of muscle strength and weight.

Lantern7

Lantern7

Stalker

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

About the comments I made earlier . . . I just want to clarify that I don't want to see the Americans compete, then wait however long for the rest of the field. Can you imagine if NBC did that during the Olympics? Even in this jingoistic society, it wouldn't stand.

Matachi's mini-course

Even if he wipes out every time in Stage One, he's got a future in sales. "Are you dying to be on Sasuke? But you live in a broom closet? Well, have I got the solution for you!!"

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:14 PM

I was wondering about the ultimate cliff hanger and why no one from the US team cleared it when they seemed to do well on a different version during the ANW boot camp.

I think the ANW Boot Camp version of the ultimate cliff hanger was easier in that the handholds were deeper, so that you could get more than a fingertip hold on the obstacle.

Mooncake76

Mooncake76

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:45 AM

I think the ANW Boot Camp version of the ultimate cliff hanger was easier in that the handholds were deeper, so that you could get more than a fingertip hold on the obstacle.

That makes sense. They should start working on finger strength.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 3:18 AM

I just want to clarify that I don't want to see the Americans compete, then wait however long for the rest of the field.

That's definitely not going to happen this next ANW.

That and there were two small grips instead of just the one in the same space between the two final long bars. More grips and smaller gaps. Unlike the Boot Camp Warped Wall being harder for the trainees, the Boot Camp Cliffhanger was easier.

For fun, I went back in the thread and looked at some of our early (as in 4 years ago) speculation about a hypothetical American version of this show, as compared to what's coming up later this year. We didn't predict Vegas as the location, but it seems obvious now. And we were worried that the sense of camaraderie wouldn't translate. However, now that there's the American regulars Levi, Brian, David, and all the others that have actually competed alongside the All-Stars, there's probably going to be the foundation.

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

They did make the Ultimate Cliffhanger itself a tad easier from its initial appearance: http://sasukepedia.w...SUKE_25.7E27.29

However, I think the reason it was finally cleared is because they changed it from the fourth obstacle to the third, and made the previous obstacles much easier. The Roulette Cylinder was very taxing on the arms, but the Arm Bike has been a staple on obstacle shows since American Gladiators, so was comparatively a cinch to complete.

Anyway, congratulations to Al Bundy for a second win. If Sasuke never comes back, it was a great way to finish the run. I do hope ANW flies over a few Sasuke All-Stars to try the American course, but knowing NBC they'll probably act like they invented Ninja Warrior.

lostinube

lostinube

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 1:17 AM

At least for the application process (i.e. the regional try-outs), non-Americans are not allowed to compete.

For the final 100, there are going to be 10 wildcard slots. Who they go to is up to G4/NBC. It's a good way to cover for just in case if any of the "names" don't get in via the application process.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

For the final 100, there are going to be 10 wildcard slots.

Then, by math, there's 90 open slots. With six regionals, that means, also by math, that the top 15 per region should advance. (And reading the rules states that specifically.)

Further looking at the rules, it seems like they're continuing with the selection method they've used in the previous ANWs: the top 30 of the day (per region) advance to a second day, where the top 15 make the finals.

The first four sets of regionals have apparently run, with just the NE and SE runs in Miami to go next week. Which means 60 people are already in the Vegas finals (plus a handful on standby as wildcards and/or alternates for injuries/rule infractions).

The Vegas run is scheduled for one month from now. The audience for the regionals is/was free to the public, so I would assume that the same applies to the finals. Anyone going to be in the area around that time?

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 1:40 AM

Saw the first release date promo for ANW earlier today. And like most G4 programming promos, it's only a vague release date. All they've said so far is: May.

Now some speculation. I'd predict a minimum of 3 episodes per regional: 2 to get to the 30, then 1 more to cut them to the 15. With 6 regions, that'd be 18 episodes. But G4 would probably air 3 episodes in a row, as they did with NW27. So that's 6 weeks of programming. And also based on when they aired NW27, it'll be Sunday premiers.

Looking at a calendar, starting airing in the latter half of May would put the final episodes in June, with the extreme likelihood of NBC airing the finals immediately after. And how appropriate would it be to air the finals of the first wholly American Sasuke run around the 4th of July?

Based on all that, I'll wager that G4 will start airing ANW on May 20th.

lostinube

lostinube

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

American Ninja Warrior, which will launch its season on G4 on Sunday, May 20, will debut on NBC the following night, May 21, from 9-11 PM. It will then begin its regular airing pattern on NBC with hourlong episodes in the Monday 9 PM slot, while also airing originals on G4.

http://www.deadline....-ninja-warrior/

Summer 2012:

Monday, May 21, 2012
9-11PM American Ninja (two-hour season premiere)

Mondays, May 28 July 23 , 2012
9:00PM American Ninja
(On June 18 American Ninja will air 9-11PM and on June 25 American Ninja will air at 10PM.)

Thursday, June 7, 2012
8-10PM Love in the Wild (two-hour season premiere)

Thursday, June 14 July 26, 2012
9:00PM Love in the Wild

Thursdays, June 7 July 26, 2012
10:00PM Saving Hope (new drama)

http://www.sitcomson...20&postcount=67

H/T the SASUKE Maniac Forums

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

So, I called the premiere date. Just not the schedule.

From the article:

G4 will carry qualifying regional rounds that originate from six different areas within the U.S., while NBC will carry regional finals from each of the six regions, plus the finals from Las Vegas. In all, NBC will carry 9 episodes of American Ninja Warrior.

As I read it, G4 Sundays will supply the regional 30. Then NBC cuts them to 15 on Monday. Then the Vegas finals will cover the remaining 3 hour-long episodes. So the actual course will air in as much time as an airing of Sasuke, just spread out over 3 weeks.

And I'm sure G4 will re-air the NBC episodes at a later date.

designmerc

designmerc

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

So I'm a little annoyed that the finals already happened and I missed/had no clue about the taping.

Here are some photos from the event. Spoilery in that they do clearly show competitors running stage 1 of the course but no shots of anything beyond stage 1.

pcthegreat

pcthegreat

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

I went to the taping in Vegas. The only reason I knew it was happening was because I am on the email list for "on camera audiences." http://on-camera-audiences.com/ I actually flew in from out of town to see it happen.

A lot of the people in attendance were friends and family of the competitors, some people were getting paid to be there in the audience, and it seemed like only a small portion of the spectators were like me and got the free tickets from "on camera audiences."

I am not really sure what I can and can't say about the taping and not get in trouble with NBC, but I don't understand why the tapings had to be in the dark and not start in the day time like they do in Japan. Maybe they were worried too many people would see and ruin it during the day?

Makoto Nagano was in Vegas, but I never actually saw him there myself. You can see him there in the photos linked above.

pcthegreat

pcthegreat

Channel Surfer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

If any of you watch TLC, that commercial they have with various TLC "stars" standing on a dirt lot with the Vegas strip behind them... that is the same lot that they shot the American Ninja Warrior 4 finals on.

Only one week til ANW4 premiers!!

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 4:40 AM

Premiere Night! And in the 2 hours (!) of the SouthWest Regional competition, there were quite a few of the people we've seen compete in the ANWs. Plus a lot of newcomers, which is probably a result having 6 regionals in the first place.

The new blood did well. Lots of guys that stand good chances of becoming the next wave of American All-Stars.

Gotta have respect for a 53-year-old who calls himself "Grandpa Ninja" making it into the 30. I don't think he'll make the cut to 15, but mad respect to him.

I still don't like Brent Steffensen (there's just something about his face that makes me want to punch it; I feel the same about the Bulgarian Olympian, Jordan Jovtchev.), but I will admit he's got skills.

Levi...working on the latest Bourne movie in the Philippines, flies in for the competition literally 24 hours prior...only to turn in that performance. Sad, dude. But at least he seemed to be in good spirits afterward.

So, the SW regional finals on NBC tomorrow, then something back on G4 on Tuesday. The re-airing from NBC? The entire regional run (300 to 30 to 15)? No matter what, it's Ninja overload time!

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Hey, guys, did you know William Moseley from The Chronicles of Narnia was in the movie, The Chronicles of Narnia? I was impressed by the performance of the star of The Chronicles of Narnia.

Also really impressed with Luci's performance. Whose idea was it to use a stage 3 obstacle for the qualifiers, though? The devil steps practically guarantee that no women will make it through these first rounds.

Levi...working on the latest Bourne movie in the Philippines, flies in for the competition literally 24 hours prior...only to turn in that performance. Sad, dude. But at least he seemed to be in good spirits afterward.

Heh, as I've noted in the past, Levi's track record has been 3, 2, 1, 3, 2. I joked to my brother that he was due to lose in the first stage again, and I told him it'd be funny if he failed in the Quad Steps. I never imagined he actually would fail on the first obstacle.

However, I wonder if he still has a chance to compete in the finals. It's 6 region * 15 contestants = 90, so that leaves 10 slots. I wonder if those 10 are reserved for the American "All-stars" just in case they don't make it through the qualifying rounds.

osc630

osc630

Just Tuned In

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

It's pretty sick that they've combined obstacles from three stages to make a qualifying round. I mean, really - Salmon Ladder into the Arm Rings?! That's bananas.

I'd love to see Urushihara give the American courses a serious go. I know he (and Okuyama and Nagano) have done the American course as sort of 'featured guests', but I'd be quite happy for any of them to actually run the course... and be shown on TV. :)

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I wonder if those 10 are reserved for the American "All-stars" just in case they don't make it through the qualifying rounds.

I'd wager that those 10 spots will go to people that made the top 30 in a region, but not the 15. And since it's network, it'll be people with good stories. For example, Grandpa Ninja's practically a lock for one of the spots, as is David Money with his blind father. And Ryan Thompson's story about his sister-in-law would have netted him a wildcard spot if he hadn't finished in the top 15.

I'd also guess that if a regional final ends up with more than 15 people actually finishing the course, the ones after 15 would also be in contention for a wildcard spot. But if Levi were to get one of those spots after that piss-poor performance, or anyone that bombed out in the qualifying round for that matter, I'd cry foul. Except maybe if it were a woman.

I mean, really - Salmon Ladder into the Arm Rings?! That's bananas.

No more bananas than Salmon Ladder into the Unstable Bridge.

osc630

osc630

Just Tuned In

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

No more bananas than Salmon Ladder into the Unstable Bridge.

True. It's just whenever I see the Arm Rings, I always picture Yamamoto separating his shoulder. I suppose without the momentum from the running start, it's a whole lot more like the Unstable Bridge, innit...

yellowcat

yellowcat

Video Archivist

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

I know it's unlikely but it would be pretty cool to see those 10 spots go to Japanese competitors.

diznee

diznee

Couch Potato

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

Ah, I just checked Arsenette's blog, and she said, "Joining them in the finals were 10 more wildcard spots that were awarded to round out the competition (mostly women, costumed people.. that sort of thing)." I honestly don't mind that, considering that the Japanese version always had its fair share of interesting characters.

Ratings are in for the NBC showing: http://tvbythenumber...e-slide/135310/ It was up 2 million viewers over last year's airing, so it's off to a really strong start.

NBC's airing was predictably heavy with the competitor profiles, though I can't tell if it was any more or less than the G4 airing. I just hate that they fast-forward through runs just so they can fit the sob stories in. That said, I was glad that they at least spent a bit more time on certain people (namely Evan) that didn't get the spotlight during the G4 qualifiers.

Shimmergloom

Shimmergloom

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

So wait, there's going to be 90 serious competitors and only 10 wildcards? Part of the fun of Ninja Warrior is the people who don't have much chance to finish stage 1, but are great for the character of the show and on the occasions when one of them does make it past stage 1, it feels like a real accomplishment. If they have like 50 people make it past stage 1, then that's not really Ninja Warrior.

I was thinking they would narrow that 90 down to like 30 for the Main Event.