Here's a quick list of Dos and Don'ts for the TWoP forums. This isn't exhaustive but it does cover most of the general forum rules and code of conduct. This is not a replacement for reading the FAQ but a refresher and a good place to point people new to the forum if they are breaking rules or confused.
Good Manners and Respect Dos and Don'ts
- DON'T use "um," be snotty to another poster, or make the argument personal
- DON'T talk about the boards on the boards
- DO know the difference between differences of opinion and personal attacks
- DON'T present your opinions as facts
- DON'T post the same opinion over and over in the hopes of wearing other people down or "winning" a discussion; just move on
Starting New Threads Dos and Don'ts
- DO search for existing topics before starting new threads
- DO start new episode-specific threads with the proper format at the right time
- DON'T use all-caps or excessive punctuation in thread titles
- DON'T start a new thread unless you have something of substance to say yourself
- DON'T start threads that amount to simple lists; only reasoned/meaty lists are allowed
Posting Messages Dos and Don'ts
- DON'T post in a thread until you've read at least the last fifteen pages or days of content
- DON'T post "Me Too!" messages; add something of substance to the conversation
- DON'T sign your posts
- DO use proper spelling, capitalization, punctuation, et cetera
- DON'T pimp your site or product, et cetera
- DON'T post copyrighted articles; link to them
- DON'T post the same thing in multiple areas; pick a spot and go with it
- DON'T post about an episode while it's still airing.
Spoilers and Speculation Dos and Don'ts
- DO put spoilers in spoiler tags
- DO know what is and isn't a spoiler
- DO be aware of show-specific spoiler policies
- DO double check your spoiler tags after you post to make sure they worked
- DON'T use spoilers tags for anything but spoilers
- DON'T discuss the previews for the next episode in the current episode topic; take it to speculation.
Warnings, Bans and Trolls Dos and Don'ts
- DO take any mod warnings you get seriously
- DON'T bug the mods to remove warnings
- DO help us out and report trolls, flame wars, and troublemakers by clicking on the Report link at the bottom right corner of a post.
Edited by TWoP Pembleton, Yesterday, 09:57 PM.