Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

A sneak with Arizona and Nick was added here:

http://www.tvovermin...ZVQqtZk.twitter

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

Last time I checked Derek was a big boy. If he hated it as much as some people here seem to he could do something about it. but he doesn't. Except for a few words several seasons ago he seems fine with the living situation.

Yes, he's an adult and could walk out of his marriage over the living situation instead of putting up with it until the house is finished. Absolutely the case. That fact doesn't change anything about the lack of consideration shown to him in this clip over the moving issue. His spouse fucked up his career less than a year ago (show timeline) and he has been nothing but supportive of her prospects for future employment, even willing to forgo the dream house (clearly not important to Meredith as she shows practically zero interest in it) and uproot his life. He gets an offer in the city she said was her first choice. And now she decides "we're staying"? Just as she gave no consideration to him when she screwed up his trial she's giving none again. Once again for her "family", the friends/family she has often given priority to over him. He and Zola are her family yet in this promo she's all about her soulmate Cristina and the half sister she barely has a relationship with. I was glad to hear him say "we're going". Its been 8 seasons, at least Derek finally gets an opinion even if its extremely doubtful it will stick.

A sneak with Arizona and Nick was added here

Thanks for posting CED9. I'm hoping for more scenes between Nick and Arizona to give us some more depth with her. As with most sick relatives/friends of SGH doctors I doubt he'll make it but one scene prior to the likely (pure speculation) death would be nice.

Edited by WindSprints, May 8, 2012 @ 3:36 PM.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Thanks for posting CED9. I'm hoping for more scenes between Nick and Arizona to give us some more depth with her. As with most sick relatives/friends of SGH doctors I doubt he'll make it but one scene prior to the likely (pure speculation) death would be nice.

Are sneaks always full scenes?

I'm asking because this one felt unfinished to me for some reason.

I'm wondering why with this SL for AZ now. Is it merely to learn more about AZ in general, since she's gotten the short end of the stick POV wise for so long, or is it building towards something.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

He and Zola are her family yet in this promo she's all about her soulmate Cristina and the half sister she barely has a relationship with.

I saw none of that in the promo. I did see Meredith talk about the family she has at SGH which also included mentions of Bailey and Richard, so to say its all about Cristina and Lexie is unfair. Merediths main story has always been about her self made family she has created for herself at this hospital, her family will always include more that Derek and Zola. She has the deepest history to that hospital and was always going to be the one to find it hardest to walk away from it.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

does anyone have youtube links for those sneaks cause that site doesn't play very well for me. I get sound but no picture.

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

does anyone have youtube links for those sneaks cause that site doesn't play very well for me. I get sound but no picture.

YouTube Links:

Sneak Peek #1-Ben & Bailey
Sneak Peek #2-Ben & Bailey
Sneak Peek #3-Derek & Meredith
Sneak Peek #4-Meredith, Cristina, Alex, Jackson & April
Sneak Peek #5-Arizona & Nick

Edited by HappyGoLucky, May 8, 2012 @ 4:19 PM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

her family will always include more that Derek and Zola. She has the deepest history to that hospital and was always going to be the one to find it hardest to walk away from it.

Which is absolutely normal for a person who has such a deep history with the hospital and its staff, however, my issue is that this is too one sided and Derek is ignored in the process, with the fact that he has also a family and ambitions for himself, and I don't understand why. Yes, it's a plot device but I wish that they had gone some other path, not the one going right now. Or at least make each other see the other's POV, not just keep this one-sided.

I did see Meredith talk about the family she has at SGH which also included mentions of Bailey and Richard, so to say its all about Cristina and Lexie is unfair.

What about Derek's family?

We know they will stay in Seattle, but for once, I would just like to see Meredith acknowledge what Derek's giving up for her. That Harvard job (from what Derek says about it) should be one of the most prestigious jobs in medicine as well as the idea of him seeing his family more often seemed important to him. If they move, I'd like to see the opposite (Derek acknowledging what Meredith is giving up), but that won't be the case. And I bet Derek will be the one that will come out as the "evil" guy in the situation.

Edited by AnitaMC86, May 8, 2012 @ 4:13 PM.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

Are sneaks always full scenes?

No, there could be more to it when it airs.

my issue is that this is too one sided and Derek is ignored in the process, with the fact that he has also a family and ambitions for himself, and I don't understand why.

Thank you, the lack of consideration was my point and you said it better. IMO, its almost always one sided but I do understand why. There are people IRL that are not considerate of their spouse's ambition, etc. and that is Meredith. I'm not basing that opinion solely on this brief clip but over the multiple seasons. The clinical trial is an example.

That Harvard job (from what Derek says about it) should be one of the most prestigious jobs in medicine as well as the idea of him seeing his family more often seemed important to him.

Again, I haven't seen very much on screen throughout their history to suggest Meredith considers Derek's family and its value to him. She did appear to show some awareness when Amelia was around but the list of not showing almost none in regards to his family is long (no point in rehashing it all at this point).

Re: The Ben/Bailey sneak - I wonder if something ends up happening to Ben in the finale. This episode looks like it could be a happy one for Bailey and happy on Grey's usually doesn't last more than an episode or 2.

Edited by WindSprints, May 8, 2012 @ 4:31 PM.

Tuleh2

Tuleh2

Just Tuned In

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

All of Shonda's "husband" characters are either cheaters (Richard, Alex), or weak (Thatcher, Tucker), or both (Owen). Those are the only choices for Derek too.

(Except Henry, but he would have turned into one or the other if she hadn't offed him.)

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

Again, I haven't seen very much on screen throughout their history to suggest Meredith considers Derek's family and its value to him.

Well, to be fair, I haven't seen Derek consider his own family very much either. I actually laughed when Derek mentioned being close to his family in the sneak peek. Does he ever mention his family, EVER? Not even when his youngest sister relapses, loses her fiance and ends up in rehab. I don't fault Meredith for not considering Derek's family when we've never seen Derek reach out to them or long to be in their lives. He has a daughter now, and yet we never saw him mention Zola to his sister. We've never heard a throwaway line about Grandma. From what we've seen on screen, I'm not even sure Derek's family knows he's a father. And I blame Shonda for that.

I do agree that Meredith sometimes fails to consider Derek in her decision-making, but I'm gonna wait to see the episode until I judge. Isn't this the episode where we see the inside of the house? I wonder if that comes into play for Meredith not wanting to leave.

Edited by calidub, May 8, 2012 @ 4:53 PM.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

His spouse fucked up his career less than a year ago (show timeline) and

If his career is so fucked up by Meredith--then why does such a prestigious hospital like Harvard want him?

What about Derek's family?

What about them? He barely speaks of them. He doesn't seem to care that much about keeping close to them. Besides it is so hard to tell from sneaks what is really happening.

littlefini1

littlefini1

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Derek doesn't seem to need people other than Meredith and Zola but Meredith does. He has always understood and gone along with this but maybe now he feels its time to branch out. Can't blame him for that, with the opportunity that he has now I think it would be selfish of Meredith to stop him.
All I have read about Owen being selfish to want Cristina to give up something for him, I think its about time some man won at something on this show.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:06 PM

What about them? He barely speaks of them. He doesn't seem to care that much about keeping close to them

It seems the times the sisters & mom have visited, they know several details of Derek's life that unless Derek has talked to them, they should not have any idea of. Since the crossover episode started with them watching the films already and not Derek receiving Amelia, or hell, even the call before that, I don't put past it that there was a prior conversation, where Amelia came clean to Derek about her drug relapse or even the fact that she is an aunt.

In general, men tend to be less "communicative" with their families but that doesn't mean they don't talk to them or ignore them. I can believe that more with Alex, as it seems he is more disconnected with his family, but it doesn't seem the case with Derek. Would the same be said about Jackson? No.

And again, that would require having Derek backstory a more proper treatment (or more availability of Tyne Daly to have Carolyn return) but nothing has led me to believe that because he is not talking about them 24/7, that he doesn't want to be with them. And why is it be so horrible that he wants to reconnect? What is so bad about wanting to go home with his family more often?

Isn't this the episode where we see the inside of the house? I wonder if that comes into play for Meredith not wanting to leave.

According to SR, yes it is. And I don't know why the house would come in play as Meredith hasn't been involved in anything other than the candle version of it. I think it's more people related. But like you said, it's hard to judge on the sneak alone.

ETA: TV Guide posted another sneak.

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Video: Which Doctors Will Be Leaving Seattle Grace?

Edited by AnitaMC86, May 8, 2012 @ 6:23 PM.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:22 PM

Thanks HappyGoLucky I was having the hardest time with that. I don't really get where Arizona's friend is coming from but like someone said perhaps the scene is cut off and it seems to be taken from the middle of the episode.

LolaCoaster

LolaCoaster

Just Tuned In

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

Again, I haven't seen very much on screen throughout their history to suggest Meredith considers Derek's family and its value to him. She did appear to show some awareness when Amelia was around but the list of not showing almost none in regards to his family is long (no point in rehashing it all at this point).

Derek was shot, got married, adopted a child and noone from his family bothered showing up nor was there any reference from him mentioning wanting to include them. You can't blame that on Meredith. Her super powers aren't that strong. If Derek wanted them around then that's on him. His sister had an intervention that he was not even included in. Meredith showed plenty of regard for his mother and Amelia. Nancy was a nasty bitch and didn't deserve the time of day. Derek is the one that apparently doesn't consider his family being included in his life whereas from the beginning, Meredith has made it very obvious, her people matter. Don't put Derek's being absent with HIS family on Meredith. He's an adult with the means to call and travel when he wants.

And why is it be so horrible that he wants to reconnect?

I don't recall anyone saying it was horrible. There has been nothing all season about Derek wanting to reconnect.

And I don't know why the house would come in play as Meredith hasn't been involved in anything other than the candle version of it.

My husband and I had our dream house built while I was getting my 2nd Masters and that was nothing compared to finishing a residency. I cared less about floors, windows, tile, carpet, etc. What I cared about was my family and getting thru school. Just because Meredith isn't involved in house particulars in no way means she doesn't care about what that house represents. It's very far fetched to just assume she could care less. My husband and his family certainly never once acted as though it was wrong of me that I wasn't involved in the process. Material things have never been Meredith's focus.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

Don't put Derek's being absent with HIS family on Meredith. Derek is the one that apparently doesn't consider his family being included in his life.

And we know he doesn't want them included...how? He's saying it right now he wants to. Or before, when they were having the conversation we won't see. But Meredith is dismissing it. There is no verification Derek is being absent because he is not in physical presence. There are telephones, Skype, emails...how are you sure he hasn't been in contact with them? Because we can't see it onscreen?

His sister had an intervention that he was not even included in. Meredith showed plenty of regard for his mother and Amelia.

Amelia, yes. His mother...she ran away from her.

Blame Addison for not calling Derek during Amelia's intervention. She organized the intervention without him. If you recall, when Amelia was leaving, she said she was going to call him as a threat. Derek's superpowers are not that strong to know she was having an intervention.

Edited by AnitaMC86, May 8, 2012 @ 7:18 PM.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:29 PM

Please.Derek is not that close to his family. When Nancy showed up years back he tried to get rid of her! She said "you don't call, don't visit" so no he clearly is NOT that close to them. And please, his sisters don't seem to like Meredith. Nancy was downright rude to her. Amelia seems to like her but we don't know about the other sisters. His mother was nice but seemed overly pushy and Derek again could not wait to get rid of her.

After he was shot, Amelia came to visit and said "you get shot and don't bother to call me?" so based on that he didn't tell his family about that. The last time that Amelia visited she never said "How's my niece" or anything either. So I have seen NO evidence that he is that close to his family. The last time he talked to his mom was when she came to meet Meredith and all she seemed to do was annoy Derek.

LolaCoaster

LolaCoaster

Just Tuned In

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

how are you sure he hasn't been in contact with them? Because we can't see it onscreen?

We can only go by what we see onscreen. Once one has to start making stories up in your head about what supposedly Derek does communication wise with his family that isn't specifically shown or at the very least mentioned, then one is basically turning the story to fan fiction and what you want to see happen. Obviously he was absent. His own sister didn't even know he'd been shot so he certainly wasn't communicating then. Amelia and Derek had a case together a few epis back and Amelia had no mention of his child. There was never a conversation of him calling anyone no a brief mention from him hinting of a conversation he shared his wonderful news. We as viewers can't make up scenes in our heads about telephones, skype, emails.

From that brief promo we saw, all of a sudden in the middle of the hospital floor he announces on spur of the moment he could drive a few hours to see his family....... It was a lol moment for me. Really Derek? Now? Just as I couldn't take Meredith seriously with that stupid excuse of staying, I couldn't take him very seriously either. All of a sudden they both played the family card, just no.

His mother...she ran away from her

She certainly did! Lol, it's easy to remember the negative but there was also a positive and that was Meredith actually ended up sitting down and conversing and Derek's mother actually liking her. It's not like she hid from her and refused to meet her thereby Carolyn leaving Seattle without knowing Meredith.

Back on topic, the promo was short and for me, unsatisfactory as a Merder fan but I mostly laughed it off as the continuity fairies obviously just took a giant dose of stupid pills as before Meredith said Boston was her 1st choice and Derek was all about being supportive of her. Now the switcharoo flipped everything and obviously that has Shonda written all over it. I have learned to expect no less in regards to Merder. All it could've taken over the last several seasons was a casual mention of grandma wanting to see Zola, aunt or uncle asking after them etc but nothing, we got nothing and for that I blame Shonda. This mess is her vision, not that of Merder fans imo.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Back in season 3, Nancy came after him and said "I was sent to check up on. You don't write. You don't call. We thought you were dead" So obviously she is not that close to his family! Every time Amelia comes to see him for whatever reason he acts annoyed with her and calls her an addict. And while she is one, he is not that supportive of her at all! She was sober and he won't even acknowledge that!

zenyatta

zenyatta

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:52 PM

We can only go by what we see onscreen.

I agree. Ignoring what is on screen or making up alternatives is basically fanfiction and not canon to the show.

I mostly laughed it off as the continuity fairies obviously just took a giant dose of stupid pills as before Meredith said Boston was her 1st choice and Derek was all about being supportive of her.

I go by what is shown on screen and on screen Meredith said Boston was her first choice. Derek was also supportive of that. The continuity fairy isn't a factor as it doesn't change what is on the screen. In this promo what I saw was Meredith not even acknowledging that the Harvard offer was a big deal for Derek in any meaningful way.

Derek has not been shown to be close to his family since he's been in Seattle. When his mother visited though I felt there was a closeness to their relationship and now that he has a child I can absolutely see him wanting to be closer in proximity to his mother. Generally speaking, its not odd for people who have a good relationship with their parent(s) to want to include them in their child's life and be hopeful their child can have a relationship with his or her grandparent.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:46 PM

I think this whole mer/der clip is just set up for how torn Meredith is about actually leaving Seattle. If Meredith was pushing to leave and Derek pushing to leave -- well where is the drama in that. SHonda said Meredith would have trouble pulling the trigger on this because the reality of leaving her "family" is very difficult.

As I side note and since Derek did mention his family, I do find it completely bizarre that Derek apparently has a sister in LA who has been going through all kinds of horrific things and he is nowhere to be found. I don't quite understand why Shonda created this character in LA if she didn't intend to exploit it in some fashion. Oh well.

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

ABC 8x24 Promo

http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:34 PM

Okay that promo has me pumped for next week!

Derek always has a bad SF lol

They should do the whole of S9 with them stuck on the Island (Cristina would be in charge)

Edited by Have At It, May 10, 2012 @ 9:35 PM.

dmdell119

dmdell119

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:43 PM

Welp, Arizona and Lexie have giant plane parts on them and Lexie is seriously bleeding out of her mouth...

Not looking good...

I wonder if that is a total fakeout though? The whole promo is the plane crash...doesn't that seem like it would have to be one of the others? The promos never tell us what is really going on. LOL

calidub

calidub

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

I can't figure out if Derek is in the promo at all. Is that him in the very beginning? Or is that Mark? And after Cristina tells Meredith that he was "sucked out of the side," is that Cristina hugging/holding what looks like a limping Derek from a distance?

As over-the-top and unnecessary as these episodes are, I forget how good Ellen Pompeo is at playing crying, hysterical, emotional, terrified Meredith. Just please no miscarriage this time.

Edited by calidub, May 10, 2012 @ 9:48 PM.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

Well, if Lexie dies, Kepner has a spot at the hospital back.

cassyinjax

cassyinjax

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

That was definitely Mark at the beginning. I didn't see Derek anywhere in the promo.

Suz84

Suz84

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

I honestly can't see them releasing any sneaks next week after this week...they could also be throwing in red herrings...I mean we don't know who dies. I wish no one was..Shame on shonda for killing someone off..you could've had them just leave.

Yellow42758

Yellow42758

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

Cristina was comforting Mark. No Derek in the promo.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:49 PM

Arizona wasn't trapped. The bulkhead was just hidding her baby bump. In one part she is sitting up against the plane. I think maybe her legs are broken.