S3: Beyond Bad Wolf Bay (UK) (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5092 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 2:36 PM

This thread is for Doctor Who Season 3 episodes that have already aired in the UK, including the 2006 Christmas special "Runaway Bride", and unspoiled speculation of upcoming S3 episodes. Spoilers for unaired S3 episodes go in Into Time! And Space! S3 Spoilers & Speculation.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Oct 8, 2007 @ 11:13 AM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 5:29 PM

No thread has suffered as this one from the retcon overdose...

And I typed nothing else. I certainly didn't momentarily think this was the spoiler thread. No sireeee....

Edited by Nuallain, Jan 16, 2007 @ 5:49 PM.

Zulfiya

Zulfiya

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:04 PM

I'm sure someone just said something, but... I can't remember...

airylli

airylli

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:08 PM

I think there was a bride involved. One who may or may not have run away.

Melewen

Melewen

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:21 PM

So, big episode. Lots happened. The Doctor finally said "Gallifrey" and looked really sad when he talked about Rose.

Also, the "taxi" signs on the cabs looked like the Doctor Who logo.

I'm sure someone just said something, but... I can't remember...

I remember saying something, in regards to the "Jump" sequence, that Donna said she was "getting married, not jumping." I thought that was pretty indicative of her character, especially in contrast to Rose, as Rose didn't need to be told to jump but Donna didn't even know what jumping was.

Also, a series of deep, thoughtful and insightful posts by various posters led me to observe that, like the TARDIS, the show is bigger on the inside.

Edited by Melewen, Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:26 PM.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:50 PM

And the preview showed us that there are talking cats, a hot Shakespeare, the Face of Boe (!), and a (Not!) posh, lesbian ninja named Martha in our near future.

Edited by chic_girl85, Jan 16, 2007 @ 8:50 PM.

Siobhan C

Siobhan C

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Heroes, Supernatural, Skins, Torchwood.

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 2:51 PM

Man, I'm so evil, when Donna says "Where is she then gone out for a spacewalk" and The Doc's acting Emo, I burst out laughing, and I liked Rose, and DT did very well with the emo!manpain, but that was just funny the way she said it. :)

I loved Donna, I wish she could have stayed.

I also enjoyed Ten being like Jack and standing on tall buildings *snigger

I have now watched TRB abut 20 times I love it so darn much! :)

I know Martha is going to be awesome from the trailer "Her name was Rose ... not that you're replacing her" and then she's like "I never said I was" Heh!

And of course an Irish accented cat by none other than Ardal O' Hanlon!

Oh, and Hot!Shakespeare:)

Edited by Siobhan C, Jan 18, 2007 @ 2:55 AM.

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

• Interests:House, The Doctor Who universe, Buffyverse, good fanfic

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

Ah well at least now I can read this thread. I told myself in no uncertain terms that it was too big to catch up on since I didnt watch the Xmas special until over a week later and have too much work.
I thought the Bride was excellent. I didnt expect to like her but I did. I liked how she was a bit thick - kind of old style Companion. I loved the way Ten was sad about Rose and his touching request for Donna to join. I liked how she was too scared because he could make it snow!

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2007 @ 10:26 PM

I think it was more his cold execution of the Racnoss that caused Donna to say no.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 2:50 AM

And of course and Irish accented Cat by none ther than Ardal O' Hanlon!

I actually think he's trying to do an American accent. Which no American will slag off, obviously, because you owe us after Boreanaz.

Siobhan C

Siobhan C

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Harry Potter, Doctor Who, Robin Hood, Heroes, Supernatural, Skins, Torchwood.

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 2:54 AM

I actually think he's trying to do an American accent. Which no American will slag off, obviously, because you owe us after Boreanaz.

Hmm, sounds irish to me, he sounds just about the same as he does the rest of the time, and I'm someone who's seen just about every episode of 'Father Ted'.

Although I know someone who thinks it was a scottish accent.

Edited by Siobhan C, Jan 18, 2007 @ 2:57 AM.

LeFae

LeFae

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:01 AM

sounds irish to me

I don't care if it's meant to be Spanish, it's Father Dougal! If they can work a mention of a spider baby in there, I'm going to be wetting myself.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

I'll answer that over in the spoiler thread.

lacorelli

lacorelli

Couch Potato

• Interests:Doctor Who, Scarecrow & Mrs King, The Shadow (pulp and radio), Doc Savage, Old Time Radio and British Radio Drama (especially mysteries), Doctor Fu Manchu, Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Lord Peter Wimsey, Marie Corelli, Terry Pratchett, P.G. Wodehouse, Jane Austen, The Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, Zorro.

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 11:24 AM

I did love the Runaway Bride, and I think somewhere in the missing month someone said it was like she ran through Tegan's entire character arc in one episode, and I completely agree with it, and as I couldn't abide Tegan, one episode worth is the perfect amount.

This is also the first time I've found Ten to be scarier than Nine, and I think he carries off quiet menace much, much better than shouty threats. And yea for Gallifrey! At last and about time.

I must admit I love Donna slapping him about, and there was just the right amount of angst. I'm not a shipper (and am actually glad Rose is gone and really wish the next female companion would be an older woman), but I would have found it more bizarre than usual if he'd just shrugged everything off immediately.

Anyway, bring on series 3.

RackOff

RackOff

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 2:48 PM

I thought that was pretty indicative of her character, especially in contrast to Rose, as Rose didn't need to be told to jump but Donna didn't even know what jumping was.

Aw, Melewen, that's ...beautiful. Can someone pass me a tissue, please?

when Donna says "Where is she then gone out for a spacewalk" and The Doc's acting Emo, I burst out laughing

Hee! I really enjoyed CT in this. And for all you Catherine Tate fans out there, and I know you are legion, have you seen this? On a more random note, Donna's mother at the back there seems also to be Caroline Todd's mother in Green Wing. Only in a slightly different outfit.

I know Martha is going to be awesome from the trailer "Her name was Rose ... not that you're replacing her" and then she's like "I never said I was" Heh!

I know Martha is going to be awesome because even though her lips say "I never said I was" her eyes say "Yes! Yes I am! I totally am replacing her! Rose who? I'm even wearing her hooped earrings right now! See?"

She seems to immediately have a 'gloves are off, bitches' attitude and impishness that could be fun.

I don't care if it's meant to be Spanish, it's Father Dougal! If they can work a mention of a spider baby in there, I'm going to be wetting myself.

Ardal O'Catnun Dougal learns about perspective; "This TARDIS is small. Those are faaar away."

MatthewMcIntyre

MatthewMcIntyre

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2007 @ 6:14 PM

Ardal O'Catnun Dougal learns about perspective; "This TARDIS is small. Those are faaar away."

Which is pretty much how Four explained the TARDIS to Leela:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=jV-agn2gDgs

HummingRose

HummingRose

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

I don't know if this thought belongs in this thread or the one for TIL, but I just watched that episode again, and the line about "Now no power in the universe can stop me," when Rose loses her face resonated completely differently after Donna's speech about how he needs someone to stop him. Maybe it wasn't the cheesy declaration it seemed to be--maybe it was his knowledge that Rose was all that was keeping him from a cold-eyed lack of mercy.

Just a thought, but one I'm pretty sure I didn't see before the archive disappeared.

Albion19

Albion19

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 19, 2007 @ 10:06 AM

I don't think Rose ever said to Ten,'No you shouldn't do that' mainly because she didn't really see him like that. He's the newnew Doctor who likes to lick things & listen to Elvis.Genocidal? Yeah right.

I think that it was Ten that was reining himself in, for the benefit of Rose.Don't think he would like her to think that he has that darkness.

Makes you wonder if Rose would have said stop. Or maybe he wouldn't have acted like that if she'd been there.Hmm....

HummingRose

HummingRose

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 19, 2007 @ 4:32 PM

I think that it was Ten that was reining himself in, for the benefit of Rose.Don't think he would like her to think that he has that darkness.

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant, as opposed to there ever being a moment where she would have actively said something. I think the idea works, contextually--there's something interesting in the idea of the Doctor wanting to punish the bad guys they run across in a far more painful manner than he does, but not doing it because it will change Rose's idea of him (though since he does manage to kill the Villain of the Week in almost every episode, I can't imagine what more painful punishment might be).

But as much as I love both characters, I'm not really into the shippiness this idea implies, so I'm not sure I can run with it any further. Just throwing it out there.

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

• Interests:House, The Doctor Who universe, Buffyverse, good fanfic

Posted Jan 20, 2007 @ 4:54 AM

I like this idea..but what about he now inflicts pain because he is in pain. It is a scary thought a hurt Timelord lashing out. Then Martha while not replacing Rose can help reign him in again - make him reconnect with his humanity so to speak. Bringing it full circle.

Hyggerific

Hyggerific

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 7:32 PM

Regarding "He said 'Gallifrey'!"...when he said it, the first thing I thought of was, "Rose never got to hear it." They were so close, but there was still so much he never shared with her. And he's not going to be traveling with Donna, so I wonder if we're ever going to hear it again, or if it's one of those things that will get buried again in the Doctor's heart.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 7:40 PM

And of course and Irish accented Cat by none ther than Ardal O' Hanlon!

We're sorry. We're so sorry.[/Doctor]

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 8:30 PM

..but what about he now inflicts pain because he is in pain.

I remember an interview with Anderson Cooper (or maybe his book) where he once said that he ran off to a war after his brother committed suicide because he wanted to be surrounded by the same amount of pain that he felt. I could easily see where Ten would want to maybe indulge his pain the same way and wander off into darker territories. I know everyone is talking about how no one can replace Rose, which I agree with, but I think Martha's role will be to keep the Doctor from going too far over the edge rather than filling in that void that Rose will have left (to quote a fanfic, "Companions could never be replaced, only remembered."). He's going to be hurting, and he's going to want to indulge in it at some point.

...because you owe us after Boreanaz.

Wait, David Boreanaz? Will taking David Beckham and Posh Spice off your hands be enough? Of course, we still probably owe you for Madonna.

Edited by arizonamyrie, Jan 21, 2007 @ 8:33 PM.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 8:40 PM

Watching Season 2 on DVD, I'm struck by how much leaving there is--Nine's just left as the season opens; Sara Jane's upset about The Doctor's earlier leaving and there's a kind of "taking leave" ritual between them; Ten just takes off and leaves Mickey and Rose for Reinette; Mickey leaves to hunt cybermen; Rose leaves at the end of the season, albeit unwillingly. That's got to be leading up to something in Season 3. Though I wonder if it's less pain that we're going to see than callousness.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 9:48 PM

See, I was wondering if that had anything to do with the ending of Doomsday.

Though I wonder if it's less pain that we're going to see than callousness.

There's got to be something relating to the stages of grief for him, for us the viewers even. I can't see TPTB just jumping in as if the Doctor's suddenly healed from Rose's loss and is ready to go about is usual business again, to employ a companion.

Tiamat Henri

Tiamat Henri

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 11:49 PM

I only just saw Runaway Bride, so didn't visit this forum until now, so I have no knowledge of previous lost discussions...but here I go, plunging in with a comment.

In regards to "Gallifrey", my first impression (after a tiny squee!) was that it was tremendously disturbing that The Doctor had run across one of the few sentient beings in the Universe that would recognize the word, and then set about destroying her. It smacked of self-annhilation, to me.

I guess I'm agreeing with arizonamyrie's Anderson Cooper comparison. Dark times may lie ahead.

can't wait.

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 2:48 AM

Regarding "He said 'Gallifrey'!"...when he said it, the first thing I thought of was, "Rose never got to hear it." They were so close, but there was still so much he never shared with her. And he's not going to be traveling with Donna, so I wonder if we're ever going to hear it again, or if it's one of those things that will get buried again in the Doctor's heart.

Actually I figured when I watched The Runaway Bride that because of the mention of Gallifrey in the Christmas Special, it will be mentioned again or play some kind of role in season 3. It seemed like set up to me. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

chalkdust

chalkdust

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 10:34 AM

There's got to be something relating to the stages of grief for him, for us the viewers even. I can't see TPTB just jumping in as if the Doctor's suddenly healed from Rose's loss

I think they will do some of that, according to the previews. I don't want it to get too much, it's not fair for Martha. OTOH, they didn't deal with the Doctor's regeneration and the emotional fallout from that, and I believe that had been promised. I understand the whole "he's the same guy, but different" thing in the show (and the need to sell a new Doctor), but in the new, supposedly more emotionally realistic landscape of DW, that was a huge, gaping, glaring error for me. If Rose really did "recover" that quickly, then it doesn't reflect all that well on her. I hope they do some of it with Jack.

JillieRose

JillieRose

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 3:32 PM

TRB rocked. In a rocking kind of way. DUDE! Dark!Doctor, and emo up the yinyang, and Rose!Is!Gone!Angst. And yet...with the tears still drying on his cheeks, the Doctor launches himself headfirst into this adventure, because that's just how you move on when you're 900 and used to people leaving. It still hurts though.

Christmas trees, people dressed as Santas and (thanks to Ugly Betty) perfectly innocuous music box tunes now freak me out. Thanks, television!

Hee. I still love it though.

Poor Doctor.

CordeliaGray

CordeliaGray

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 3:40 PM

Actually I figured when I watched The Runaway Bride that because of the mention of Gallifrey in the Christmas Special, it will be mentioned again or play some kind of role in season 3. It seemed like set up to me. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I agree. That's my prediction: Gallifrey will be the "Bad Wolf" of Series 3.