Cycle 8 Spoilers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1763 replies to this topic

shins

shins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:15 PM

Thanks for that link to the CW thread, sweet potato. That sounds thoroughly nightmarish. Literally not knowing what hit you. She probably does have brain damage more than just short-term memory loss but she's learned to deal. It's amazing she's as laidback, chill, sweet, and seemingly intelligent as she is. Maybe this accounts for why she can be emotional.

What is wrong with people who are so critical and thinking she's all the sudden making this up now? Brittany's sister, a high school classmate, and now HawaiiHarmony have all verified the story.

OK, it's giving me chills thinking about that incident. [long long shuddering pause]

Now, I'm really mad at Whitney and Diana for being such bitches to her. (At least Renee seems to be nicer to her now, since they're sharing Darth Maul headscarves and all.) It's not like Brittany's roomate or boyfriend was shot... but she herself was hit and run by a car, as a helpless pedestrian, rendered unconscious and severely hurt. That'd be something to cry about.

Edited by shins, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:16 PM.

JAZ853

JAZ853

Fanatic

• Interests:http://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:27 PM

Now, I'm really mad at Whitney and Diana for being such bitches to her. (At least Renee seems to be nicer to her now, since they're sharing Darth Maul headscarves and all.)

It's not really fair to them if they didn't know, and I'm sure if Brittany had mentioned it before this upcoming episode, it would have been exploited, err, shown.

As tragic as that is, I don't think it increases her chance at winning. They're focusing very heavily on Renee's family and Natasha's struggle without her husband and daughter, their sob stories are in competition as well. Add that to the winner's edit Dionne is apparently getting, and Jaslene as the possible first latina winner, and there's still no clear guess at winner. Well, except that pretty much nothing could get Jael the win right now.

So how does her short term memory loss affect her? From what I recall in psychology, I thought something that serious would damage her ability to make long term memories, and thus make it impossible for her to move past the day she was hit by the car.

Edited by JAZ853, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:26 PM.

sweet potato

sweet potato

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:28 PM

You're Welcome Shins.
Did you notice there were like three people on that one thread claiming to know Brittany.
All of them backed the story about the hit and run.

Aside from the horrible incident with the car, did you pay attention to what the poster "Banana24" wrote??
This is one of the posters who claims they know Brittany, and supposedly Brittany told her friend, "Banana, you're going to be mad at me" when the friend asked about the show...however Brittany would not elaborate.

It says to me Brittany was telling her friend she screwed up and did not win with that comment.

Edited by sweet potato, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:29 PM.

RabbitRun

RabbitRun

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:29 PM

Since I'm all about the baseless speculation tonight, I do wonder if her weeping jags are also from the brain trauma. It's not an uncommon side-effect.

If so, it just makes Whitelle and Diana to be even pettier bitches.

Edited by RabbitRun, Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:41 PM.

sweet potato

sweet potato

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:38 PM

So how does her short term memory loss affect her? From what I recall in psychology, I thought something that serious would damage her ability to make long term memories, and thus make it impossible for her to move past the day she was hit by the car.

The brain is yet to be completely figured out when it comes to issues like this.
My cousin had a significant brain injury and was in shock trauma for weeks.
He also suffers from short term memory loss, but he can remember things in the past, including right up to the minute be got smacked in the forehead with a baseball bat.

charmena

charmena

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:42 PM

It says to me Brittany was telling her friend she screwed up and did not win with that comment.

Or maybe that Banana would hate her since she's going to be living every girl's dream of being a CoverGirl!!!! *gaspshockawe*

sweet potato

sweet potato

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:50 PM

yea..riiiight.
lol

shins

shins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:02 AM

sweet potato, you know what's kind of funny? The fact that Brit's friends (on the CW board) are spelling her name "Britt" when she explicitly said on national TV it's one "T" not two. :)

She probably didn't win, based on that comment she told her friend. But hey, it's so vague to us, and we don't know the context or expectations of her friend, so it's a no-lead at this point.

Jaz853, I'm not saying that this story will be the winning storyline for Brittany, but I don't think that's really relevant. It's just nuts with after all that happened to her, she's kicking ass in this competition. You're right that maybe Whitney and Diana didn't know about Brittany's car accident history, but they were still bitchy hypocrites to her. Acting all self-righteous about it. People like that infuriate me.

About the commercial, who cares? One of those spiteful idiots on the CW thread was mentioning that Brittany was using this as an excuse, since she knew she'd suck at the commercial. That is completely untrue, based on what we see in the preview clip. She had no idea what the commercial would entail, until Jay laid out the plan, then she merely sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

This was posted in the FORT Brittany thread, scroll down to see her high school pic (a little blurry).

This is what her senior profile said (courtesy of hottiegurl at FORT)
Activities: Volunteer Jenkintown Day Care (11) Springfield live on tape
(10,11) Hit by Car Productions
Quote: "When I sell out, I'm gonna sell out, all kinds of sold out. It gonna be great" Ryan Adams
Most Memorable Moment: That time...heh...yea remeber that time. And then there was when I got hit by that car...but the other time was better.
Future Plans: College, make movies, write a book.

Funny that she turned her tragedy into a tale of irony, in naming the production company.

sweet potato

sweet potato

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:31 AM

ETA. I posted a direct link to Brittany's highschool yearbook pics in her thread.

Edited by sweet potato, Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:36 AM.

shins

shins

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:33 AM

Actually, posts #269 and #276. It pulls to the page of the thread, just not the specific post, I believe.

Edited by shins, Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:34 AM.

FathomsBelow

FathomsBelow

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 7:35 AM

http://tv.yahoo.com/...y47E7jLXwSIo9EF

idk if that'll work, but basically the clip shows that she at least mentions the car incident in tonight's episode. We'll see how that works? I would want to say it means she's not going home because they're showing this beforehand, but you never know.

vallegirl

vallegirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 9:34 AM

although, can I just say that having a non-Aussie fake an Aussie accent (no matter how well it's done) is just stupid? And kind of offensive. But isn't that exactly what we've come to know and despise most about Tyra and her production values?

Stupid, certainly but I odn't get how it's offensive, when Anthony LaPaglia has made an entire career out of convincing Americans he's American by affecting an actual regional accent rather than the generic mid-Atlantic one that Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts and Simon Baker assume when they want to play American.

GoodThings

GoodThings

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:01 AM

I don't know if I'd say "offensive" either, however it's a totally different comparison to say that the Aussies who act here adopt American accents. To take on an American character, they should indeed have American accents (for example, didn't anyone ever think it was weird that Haley Mills played characters raised in CA and Boston, and yet spoke with a British accent in Parent Trap?!?). However, we have plenty of commercials here in US that have models with their native accents (Horsey Foreign Model, Giselle, Heidi). It doesn't matter, as long as we can clearly understand what they are saying, since it's the product and how it looks on them that matters.

For a commercial in Australia, they could even use the slang without having to adopt an accent. But, since they don't have a different language to learn, they (ANTM) had to do something to make them seem stupid.

(Remember when they didn't have to do commercials in other languages, back when the show was legitimate?)

Edited by GoodThings, Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:05 AM.

Dolphincorn

Dolphincorn

Fanatic

• Interests:Laughing at misfortune, rooting for the villians, egging on the bitches.

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:27 AM

In Canada we get a lot of awful Aussie commercials that have been overdubbed with Canadian voices. It's actually quite common for British/Canadian/Aussie/New Zealand/etc. commercials to make the rounds in other English-speaking countries. HOWEVER, the models just have to move their lips so that someone else can take on the role of the voice talent. Doing a commercial in a fake accent is a reality show tactic, not an advertising convention. Still, it's going to be a laugh.

Agnes Gooch

Agnes Gooch

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 10:58 AM

I should have explained that I'm saying it was kind of offensive, to have the girls affect Aussie accents, because a lot of the people we met when we were living in Australia did seem to bristle a bit if non-Aussies tried to do an accent (and it's a hard one to get right). They seemed to feel that people were making fun of them because Aussies do get slagged a lot by other Commonwealth natives for their accent. It's not considered a very posh or proper accent. Most Aussies revel in their non-posh-ness, but there was also an undercurrent of insecurity about it, too. The people we met didn't mind us adopting their slang, as long as we used it correctly, but they respected us more for using it in our flat, ugly American tones!

cathychameleon

cathychameleon

Couch Potato

• Interests:TV!

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 11:59 AM

Hi everyone.I'm a long time lurker here. Hope you don't mind if I join the conversation. Just wanted to comment on the accent issue. I think it depends on how the whole thing is appraoched. If someone is genuinely attempting to present themsevles as being from a particular country and takes it sort of seriously then I don't think its offensive. It's a different story if you are just mimicking the way people speak to be funny or cute because I guess most times it comes out sounding all stereotypical and cartoonish. I'm from the Caribbean and although 'offended' might be too strong a word it does irk me when people try to mimic a Caribbean accent in an exaggerated or stereotypical way e.g. by adding 'mon' to the end of every sentence because we don't really speak like that.

mylittlefriend

mylittlefriend

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 12:49 PM

Actually, that's a damn good accent she's affecting. And I say that as someone who's lived there. And, as usual, Brittany looks fabulous. I think (hope) they're red-herring us and will splice and dice a suitable commercial together by the end.

although, can I just say that having a non-Aussie fake an Aussie accent (no matter how well it's done) is just stupid? And kind of offensive. But isn't that exactly what we've come to know and despise most about Tyra and her production values?

I've been lurking and I thought I'd put in my two cents...

Agnes Gooch, you're kind of right. As an Australian living in the United States and an avid fan of the show...its not offensive as such when people try and do our accent, it just makes me cringe like hell. Like how my American partner cringes everytime my mother tries to do an American accent. The challenge is to use Aussie slang, not talk like an Aussie. Aussie accents, along with South African are the hardest to imitate, and when you do, you either sound British (like Brit does) or just strange.

On another note, I thought it was kind of rude how all the girls (especially Jaslene) were just staring at Erika Heynatz like a pack of idiots. I'm pretty sure that if they were in Japan, or Italy, or any other country they wouldn't have been doing that....Erika isn't THAT hard to understand, and words that she was using were part of the challenge. But maybe I'm just biased.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:12 PM

mylittlefriend, you don't have to use spoiler tags in the spoiler thread. But in response to your comment, these girls are a pack of idiots, so maybe that's the only look they could give. ;)

cadoph

cadoph

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:25 PM

I was shocked by their incomprehension. I didn't think the woman's accent was particularly
thick nor the idioms she was using particularly arcane if one is not Australian. Jaslene's
expression of incomprehension was painful to watch.

I'll be listening closely for "root." Approx. noun and verb equivalent of screw. And rooting
for ... ???

KelliLeanne

KelliLeanne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:44 PM

I was shocked by their incomprehension. I didn't think the woman's accent was particularly
thick nor the idioms she was using particularly arcane if one is not Australian. Jaslene's
expression of incomprehension was painful to watch.

I completely understood her, Aussie slang and all. I don't understand why the girls didn't understand what she was saying. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the hamsters.

About accents, one thing I hate is when non-southerners try to use a southern accent. It is usually overly stereotypical and borders on mocking. However, I don't think that was the intent here; I just think that this was the closest thing that ANTM could get to the foreign language challenge that they do every season. Also, it's a good way to make the girls look like idiots.

Kapsberger

Kapsberger

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

I was shocked by their incomprehension. I didn't think the woman's accent was particularly thick nor the idioms she was using particularly arcane if one is not Australian. Jaslene's expression of incomprehension was painful to watch.

I found it both unsurprising and hilarious. I agree with everyone else that Erika wasn't particularly difficult to understand.

I don't want to come off as ridiculing brain damage in general or Brit's car accident in specific, but I do have to do one thing...

Tyra: Sometimes, as model, you have to be able to perform while you're brain damaged. You all have probably seen the clip of me when I was "flamenco" "dancing." It's obvious that my crazy, ants-in-my-pants antics were a result of brain damage, but I modeled through it.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

Tyra: Sometimes, as model, you have to be able to perform while you're brain damaged. You all have probably seen the clip of me when I was "flamenco" "dancing." It's obvious that my crazy, ants-in-my-pants antics were a result of brain damage, but I modeled through it.

See also the music video for "Shake Ya Body."

23 Skiddoo

23 Skiddoo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 2:15 PM

I know we're all distracted by the fake accent, car accident, and apparent struggles with cue cards, but where on earth did those hair extensions come from? Did she get another weave or is tacking her old weave to her head part of the challenge?

Agnes Gooch

Agnes Gooch

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 2:13 PM

thanks for the perspectives on accents, cathychameleon and mylittlefriend! And I totally agree on the assinine reactions of the girls to Erika's greeting -- but don't you think, by this point in the filming, that the hamsters know that if you want screen time, you have to over-react to everything? And they may well have been coached to do so, too, because, for sure, the slang Erika was using barely even touched the surface of how deep she could have gone.

sweet potato

sweet potato

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 3:02 PM

23 Skiddoo, it could just be a clip on hair piece.

AnnaBanana83

AnnaBanana83

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 3:29 PM

Dammit Kapsberger. Once again:) You owe me keybord no. 300

mylittlefriend

mylittlefriend

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 3:34 PM

I found it both unsurprising and hilarious. I agree with everyone else that Erika wasn't particularly difficult to understand.

And also, us Aussies don't even use that kind of slang every day! Yeah, I do say 'mate' and other little things, but the kind of slang Erika was using, we only use as a joke. The only exception to this is people from rural Australia and the older generation.

I'll be listening closely for "root." Approx. noun and verb equivalent of screw. And rooting
for ... ???

Haha, I'm gonna laugh my ass off if they say that!

milkyaqua

milkyaqua

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 5:59 PM

Serioulsy, these twits scream anytime Tyra or some low level celeb comes around them. It's not surprising that they would all look completely dumbstruck by what the Aussie lady was saying. Although, I also wondered why they all seemed so stunned, except for the slang she made sense to me. I thought something was going on that we couldn't see off camera but nope, just typical ANTM hamster behavior. Sad, very sad.

Bard Sinister

Bard Sinister

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

That preview was hilarious. Erika is not difficult to understand. If Tyra truly wanted to challenge the hamsters' comprehension skills, she should have had Eboni from OzNTM Cycle 2 come to greet them.

I wonder how Jael knew in advance that the interview would be about Amercian fashion faux pas? She certainly dressed for the role.

sinisterabbey

sinisterabbey

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2007 @ 7:26 PM

I think the thing about the slang and the accent is that people assume that us Australian's all speak with one accent, when actually like any country there is a huge range in the level of accent we use. On T.V. and in movies, it always tends to be the most extreme example of slang and accent there is. Erika actually never spoke like that or used that slang during her time on Australian's Next Top Model. I live in Japan now and every single time people find out I'm from Japan people say "G'day Mate!", when I have never said that in my life. People also tell me al the time that I don't sound Australian, but I think I have a pretty standard accent.

But I do think its affectionate, not necessarily offensive. And on a few words I thought Brittany did pretty well with the accent. Tyra has consistantly made fun of girls with accents, so if Nigel and Twiggy can put up with Tyra's bullshit crappy cockney shenanigans I'm down with it. And I can't wait for this episode

Edited by sinisterabbey, Apr 18, 2007 @ 7:49 PM.