Army Wives

• Please log in to reply

3773 replies to this topic

aliconehead

aliconehead

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 7:54 PM

As with anything some military guys do not want their wives to work, some don't care. Depends on the guys. all ego driven

amazing grace03

amazing grace03

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 7:58 PM

The other thing I wondered about: I know there is a heirarchy pretty much everywhere on the post, but I couldn't quite believe they wouldn't take care of a young child that was throwing up constantly at the post hospital. It set up the scene between Roxy and Kim Delaney's character, but it just seemed weird to me. But if someone who knows more than I do says that would happen then I'll be happy to change my opinion (though not thrilled that that could happen).

In my case, there wasn't heirarchy, but I took my son to the BAMC ER with a migraine last summer and no lie, we sat there with him continually vomiting for ten hours before we finally left. We were triaged three hours after we got there, but after that, it was like they totally forgot we were there. Nine hours into the visit, the nurse was handing out tylenol to those who needed it while they were waiting. I ended up asking her to give my son a suppository for the pain. After we got that, we took him home and he slept it off. There was no Kim Delaney offering to give us her spot. When we complained, we were on our own.

Edited by amazing grace03, Jun 4, 2007 @ 7:59 PM.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 8:49 PM

There was no Kim Delaney offering to give us her spot.

That totally sucks. Maybe there'll be a "Kim Delaney" out there watching somewhere who'll give up their spot next time.

amazing grace03

amazing grace03

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:07 PM

Some day I'd like the be someone's Kim Delaney.

sunandsand

sunandsand

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:18 PM

"In my case, there wasn't heirarchy, but I took my son to the BAMC ER with a migraine last summer and no lie, we sat there with him continually vomiting for ten hours before we finally left. We were triaged three hours after we got there, but after that, it was like they totally forgot we were there. Nine hours into the visit, the nurse was handing out tylenol to those who needed it while they were waiting. I ended up asking her to give my son a suppository for the pain. After we got that, we took him home and he slept it off. There was no Kim Delaney offering to give us her spot. When we complained, we were on our own."

Brooke at Ft. Sam? Yeah, I've been there too! : ) -- I think the scene here applies more to the "old" stereotype of the Army and RHIP (rank has its privileges). I really don't think you'd see that today. Like a lot of hospitals, Army ones are understaffed and crowded too. But I don't think you'd have a Kim Delaney character getting preferential treatment, unless maybe her husband was on the hospital staff!

The Evil One

The Evil One

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:43 PM

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot, since I generally dismiss Lifetime series without so much as giving them a chance, and I'll be tuning in next week. I have my mom and sister tuning in as well (since my mom will watch anything with Kim Delaney in it).

I wasn't totally surprised by the plot development of Catherine Bell's son being the one who smacked her around, but the surrogacy development did surprise me, so for all of its melodramaticness, it worked. I liked the Roxy character; she's a rear spitfire and she provides that "outsider looking in" perspective of someone this is all new to.

And I appreciate the insights that those of you who have been on post, on base or on an equivalent provide on what elements are somewhat realistic versus total BS. Clearly, as someone mentioned upthread, this is TV-world and the hands that created Grey's Anatomy are involved in this too. I don't take Grey's to be a realistic portrayal of doctors or residency, but I'm always interested to hear when they get something right (in fact or in spirit!) Plus, while there are and have been countless medical shows, it does strike me that this shows a group of people not normally depicted on TV, other than in very minor roles, so I find that interesting, as well.

Edited by The Evil One, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:43 PM.

Nilo

Nilo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

My husband and I both really enjoyed it! I'd read a bit about the episode in advance - enough to know there was going to be physical abuse involving some sort of twist. However, my husband didn't know this. I was shocked when he knew it was the son from the start; especially given the fact that my husband has never struck me as being terribly observant of familial behavior!

Anyway, we're an Army family and I identified with a great deal of it. Exaggerated? Yeah, parts of it, no doubt. But really nothing egregious, I didn't think. I think we'll both be tuning in next week...

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 11:02 PM

Did the preview for next week hint at more than physical abuse or am I reading it wrong? I certainly hope so.

Femvamp

Femvamp

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 10:12 AM

I was pleasantly surprised by the pilot, since I generally dismiss Lifetime series without so much as giving them a chance, and I'll be tuning in next week. I have my mom and sister tuning in as well (since my mom will watch anything with Kim Delaney in it).

Everyone is probably going to lose all respect for me after I say this, but Lifetime has improved a great deal. Yes everything it did in the past was six kinds of awful but in recent years it has improved ALOT. OK it still has its issues, but Army Wives isn't the first series I've actually liked on Lifetime and its movies have improved.

Ok everyone can hate me now.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 10:31 AM

Everyone is probably going to lose all respect for me after I say this, but Lifetime has improved a great deal. Yes everything it did in the past was six kinds of awful but in recent years it has improved ALOT. OK it still has its issues, but Army Wives isn't the first series I've actually liked on Lifetime and its movies have improved.

Ok everyone can hate me now.

Awwww, this thread is the Love Thread! Can't you tell?

The fact that the show was actually watchable was the biggest surprise of all and I think it was echoed again and again. So, bask in the love... ~this time~!

KTngirl2006

KTngirl2006

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 12:06 PM

Re Catherine Bell- She is an awesome actress. Loved her as Mac on JAG. Give it time, I think you will like her.

Yeah Drew Fuller does ned to lay off the accent. I have only seen him as Chris on Charmed, and he def is not southern. lol

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 2:17 PM

Did the preview for next week hint at more than physical abuse or am I reading it wrong? I certainly hope so.

I didn't read any more into it than physical abuse but I'd have to see it again and I didn't DVR the show since I could watch it OnDemand.

I also certainly hope that you read that wrong too. However, having said that I did get some kind of weird vibe coming from her son even before the husband left so that might not be too far out of left field.

But yeah, I hope we're BOTH reading way too much into that.

Edited by SanLynn, Jun 5, 2007 @ 2:17 PM.

dimples1

dimples1

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 3:15 PM

I also certainly hope that you read that wrong too. However, having said that I did get some kind of weird vibe coming from her son even before the husband left so that might not be too far out of left field.

I got the same vibe as well. IMO, the son looked like he was jealous of his parents' relationship with each other. Like, he's the "other man". I wanted Kim Delaney's tv show husband to give him a beatdown in front of the daughter.

Nikki528

Nikki528

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 3:29 PM

I got the same vibe as well. IMO, the son looked like he was jealous of his parents' relationship with each other. Like, he's the "other man".

At least I'm not alone because I kinda got that vibe too. I really hope that we are all mistaken--that would be a weird way to start the show and it would forever skeeve me out.

L star

L star

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 4:51 PM

I really enjoyed the premiere. I don't watch Lifetime and just happened to catch the show because a relative left the channel on when she left. Now I'm glad she did! And I was glad to find out it's a show and not a movie, and that I'm coming in at the beginning. It even comes on at a convenient time LOL. I found it interesting how much character information they're giving us this early. I love it because it helps me get into the show more if I know basic info about the characters earlier (I've watched shows where it was halfway through the season before I ever heard all the adults' last names much less their random kids' names and never their educational background), but I just found it unusual.

MSN TV has a brief article about the show and a bit of an interview with Kim Delaney.

nikitakitty

nikitakitty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 4:55 PM

As someone who wouldn't watch a Lifetime series on a bet, I found myself drawn to this one with strong expectations of being disappointed. And I wasn't. The writing is pretty good and the casting was great. I had no idea who was in it and was surprised by the quality of the cast. Catherine Bell is so fantastic, I think it's harder to portray reserved and pained than it would be to 'chew the scenery' with the overdramatics (like every other shlocky Lifetime movie or tv show I've seen, women in peril etc does). She's being abused but she's also ashamed. She's raised a son who abuses her and suffers silently rather than admit to it. I totally get that. When she finally confided in her friends and sought help I thought that was well done and very realistic.

All in all I think this one is a good one to watch and I hope it stays around and gets even better. If it devolves into just another Lifetime dreckfest I'll be really disappointed. Time will tell.

TheExaultedOne

TheExaultedOne

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 7:32 PM

Wow, I'm kind of confused and disturbed by the fact that I genuinely liked a show airing on Lifetime (don't look at me like that Blood Ties, I said genuinely liked).

I never watched JAG so the only thing I'd seen Catherine Bell in - that I can recall - before this was that really bad TV movie called Triangle, which was really bad and about the Bermuda Triangle eating people or something. So this is the first time I've seen Catherine Bell in something that didn't suck, and I do declare that she is lovely and amazing and luminous and I kind of love her. She did an amazing job with Denise, it's a difficult task sometimes to make quiet more reserved characters compelling but she totally did it, and Denise is now one of my favorite wives.

Next, I used to love Kim Delany, then she wasn't working for me so much, and now she's back to being awesome. This is Kim Delany is a form I haven't seen her in in a while, and I'm digging it. She really pulled off the classy, pulled together, well-educated, caring, respected den mother of the post thing with aplomb. She had a regal kind of elegance and grace mixed with genuine decency and steel that really worked for me. I like this Claudia Joy Holden, in fact I even like that Claudia Joy Holden has three names and that people say it all together like that.

I'm also totally interested in the storyline in Roland and Rolan's wife.

I got the same vibe as well. IMO, the son looked like he was jealous of his parents' relationship with each other. Like, he's the "other man".

Somehow I don't think they're going to go there, but thank goodness I wasn't the only one who thought this. I don't feel so alone now, lol.

twtd

twtd

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 9:20 PM

I'm going to add my voice to those that were surprised by the quality of Army Wives. I only watched it because my gf and I ran into one of the guys that works in the art department while we were at a local Charlestonian coffee house and we told him we'd give it a go. It's kinda a weird feeling have pseudo inside information, none of which is of a particularly surprising nature. He said something about how all of wives have Secrets, but that they just found out one of them and he didn't see what the big deal was. He also said that all of the art guys were laughing about how they've had to dress a set for some kind of party every week for the past sevenish weeks. I'm pretty sure that neither of those bit of information are spoiler worthy. I'm waiting to see if any of the actresses show up in said coffee house, since it seems like it's becoming the place to go in Charleston.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2007 @ 10:28 PM

I started watching the show when it already began, but I suspected the son of abusing his mother when he ordered her to leave with him instead of watching the bus take his father away. That was some bullying that screamed something wasn't right. A few minutes earlier, his father reminded his son that while he was away that he would be the man of the house. And the son replied he has been the man of the house since he was 7 years old. I hope the mother hasn't been letting little shit telling her what to do.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 6:47 PM

Damn, I missed this show! Maybe because I was travelling home from San Antonio, in a car, with my kids-and no AC.
I hope to catch the re-airing, whenever that is. I read the article that L_star linked to, and was stunned to read that Kim Delaney "husband" was going for a 3 month tour to Iraq. I would kill for my husband to have a 3 month rotation, rather than the 15 month one he has upcoming. And after only 9 months back, too <last time was only a year though>.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 7:10 PM

...was stunned to read that Kim Delaney "husband" was going for a 3 month tour to Iraq.

Unless there's something I don't know, I think you're thinking of Catherine Bell's character's husband who they said left for three months in the Middle East (I don't think they even specified Iraq). IIRC, as far as we know Kim Delaney's character's husband will be around for awhile.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2007 @ 8:41 PM

Unless there's something I don't know, I think you're thinking of Catherine Bell's character's husband who they said left for three months in the Middle East (I don't think they even specified Iraq). IIRC, as far as we know Kim Delaney's character's husband will be around for awhile.

You're right-I got confused by the photo of Kim Delaney at the head of the article. The "Middle East" implies Iraq, to me anyhow, as even the Kuwait rotations of the late 1990s were 4 months. The only 3 month rotation I was ever on was a joint training exercise in Egypt <Bright Star> in 1997. Even the MFO in the Sinai is 6 months. Are they supposed to be SF or something? I know that the base is supposed to be Bragg (or possibly Campbell-the red beret on the female).

Edited by cissyboo, Jun 6, 2007 @ 8:45 PM.

brightman73

brightman73

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

Oh my gosh - I love this show! This show is what I thought THE UNIT was going to be, but it geared itself more violent. This show really IS about that wives. It is SO Steel Magnolias! LOVE IT!

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 1:59 PM

Apparently Army Wives did pretty good in the ratings for Lifetime. From zap2it.com:

"Army Wives," meanwhile, brought in 3.5 million viewers for Lifetime on Sunday -- the best premiere for an original series in the network's history. (The previous record of 3.3 million belonged to "Missing" in 2003.) It also did well among the female viewers Lifetime targets; its women 18-49 rating was the tops on all of cable in the time period and Lifetime's best in that hour since early 2004. Among women 18-34 it did better than anything in the timeslot since May 2002.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 3:56 PM

Holy crap. That's outstanding. It'll be interesting to see how many viewers hang around for episode two.

prican58

prican58

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2007 @ 6:20 PM

During the first 20 minutes or so, I thought that I probably wouldn't last through this show. But it miraculously got better and found myself looking forward to the next episode.
"Roxy" *is* Kyra-lite. Real down-home girl that Roxy. I love her little four eyed boy ( I say that with much affection). Seems a tad ethnic, which kinda proves Roxy may be more interesting than most.

I'm digging this.

DolfinWings

DolfinWings

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 2:38 AM

Army Wives was actually pretty good. I thought that all the characters were sympathetic, and reasonably based in reality.

The only thing that would turn me off is the Oedipal vibe I'm getting from Catherine Bell and son. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. while I love the story line, I think the boy's acting choices are kinda skeeving me out. (Catherine Bell can do no wrong in my book)

I agree with people up thread that says that the Rolan character seems to be too perfect, but (going along wiht GA references) I don't want him turning into a Dr. Burke or a McDreamy, cuz those men turned into assholes. Hell, it would be nice to have a sensitive guy on tv who wasn't portrayed as a wuss.

Overall, I love Roxy, but I don't quite get the Drew Fuller character yet. Hopefully he will flesh out nicely. though they were very cute together.

I also really wish that the red head would tear one into her husband, what a dick!

Harmony2000

Harmony2000

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:24 PM

I was prepared to dislike this show because I have never liked any shows with this sort of premise. However, since I love Catherine Bell and Delaney I decided to give this show a chance and I'm glad I did!

It was actually good and the acting was spot on and for the most part the show was based in reality.

I also did not like the whole thing with the son but it was a nice twist since I was positive that it was the husband doing it.

I loved Roxy! She reminded me of so many Army wives I had met on various bases. I had to giggle about the gossiping wives, that also was spot on with a lot of the stuff I have witnessed from years as first a army wife and now a navy wife (with a few years active navy on my own part thrown in to confuse the issue lol)

I've already emailed a bunch of my friends and told them to check the show out, hope they can keep it up.

Editted to respond to a couple of things up thread.

They are not Special Forces or they would have green berets (or black if they are delta force) also at this time women are only allowed into SF units on a very limited admin/office support basis if at all. The maroon berets are airborn or air assault which would make them either Ft. Bragg, NC or Ft. Campbell, KY or Ft. Drum, NY. I believe that I read somewhere that this is a fictional base in SC? Not sure if I remember that right and I may have missed some places that have troops with maroon berets because its been over 8 years since I have been around the Army.

Edited by Harmony2000, Jun 8, 2007 @ 4:29 PM.

MizSurguri

MizSurguri

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 5:04 PM

I thought it was pretty good. I loved the actor who played Roland, such a different part than he played in Supernatural.

I wonder why they chose the black woman to be in the army instead of her being an army wife.

I went to a college near West Point in the late 1970's; when I was a freshman one of my friends got engaged and she received the "Army Wive's Handbook" which had to have been written twenty years before 1977; it had little tidbits like, wearing white gloves when you went to a tea (I never saw any of the officer's wives wearing white gloves and I went to plenty of teas at West Point) and that if you played card's with the general's wife you had to let her win.

Many of my friends who married West Point graduates complained of how lonely they were (many of those marriages didn't last a year) because they were expected to associate with officer's wives and most of them were some twenty years older than they were, while it was frowned upon to associate with enlisted men's wives even though most of them were their age. The friends I had who didn't get divorced after the first year, got pregnant very quickly because they were so lonely.

Speaking of babies, I thought the giving birth scene in the bar was as funny as all hell, especially when the babies came out and Roland said, "It wasn't me."

Nova

Nova

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

I was slightly confused about the pregnancy storyline -- her husband knows about the pregnancy, right? And that it is a surrogacy rather than his kids? When she mentioned that she'd planned to report the baby died, I started wondering if I misinterpreted something. She was just talking about a fiction for the benefit of the military community, right? Personally, I don't know why she can't just say she had the kids for a close friend who is infertile, rather than having to pretend to a baby's death.

The only thing that would turn me off is the Oedipal vibe I'm getting from Catherine Bell and son.

I was trying to figure out what it was in the promo that squicked me out, and I think it was the flavor of the son's intensity, how he was in his mom's space, among other things. The most ick-worthy moment was when the promo showed someone getting Bad News and then a shocked CB put her hand over her stomach in either the Universal Symbol of 'oh shit' pregnancy, or too much Thai food. It just made my mind go to some scary places.