Army Wives

• Please log in to reply

3773 replies to this topic

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Dec 3, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

This show won't be debuting until March 2007, but I just saw an article at zap2it.com about it. I may actually tune in, at least at first, because it will be starring Catherine Bell who used to be on one of my favorite show, JAG. Presumably she will be one of the Army wives, but since the article mentioned that there will be at least one Army husband, she could be in the Army I guess. I doubt it since I think the show is going to focus on home life back in the states, but she does have a lot of experience wearing a uniform and whatnot.

cissyboo

cissyboo

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2006 @ 1:28 PM

As an Army wife, and former military member myself, I may tune in to this show-mainly to see if it accurately portrays the culture of military wives as I know it.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 3:30 PM

The trailers/commercials for this show are interesting to me. Interesting enough to at least get me to tune in. June seems a long time away right now.

Cat Kicker

Cat Kicker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2007 @ 6:59 PM

As a veteran and a military spouse, I won't be tuning in because it looks like ass.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 9:11 AM

Isn't this show supposed to finally be premiering tonight? We'll see if I actually remember to tune in, but I vaguely remember hearing a radio commerical for it the other day. What I thought was weird is that the only actor whose name they mentioned in the commercial was Kim Delaney and I would never tune into something just for her whereas if I hadn't heard of the show before and they had mentioned Catherine Bell then I would have been more inclined to watch.

sugarjay

sugarjay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 5:06 PM

The first episode is already available on Lifetime On Demand for Comcast customers. I watched it and it wasn't too bad, it's basically a drama about different women who all happen to be married to men in the army. I"ll probably start watching it for the simple fact that all of my shows are over for summer anyway.

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 7:02 PM

I caught it via OnDemand this A.M. I have to say as someone with zero expectations I thought it was pretty well done. The characters were all, save Bell and her family, pretty engaging. I liked the way the ĎWivesí have some common traits despite being very dissimilar people. I donít have one clue if its authentic to Army wives experiences but Strong Medicine was never remotely similar to real medicine and I floved that show.

Nikki528

Nikki528

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

Yea I had no expectations and I was pretty damn pleased with the show. I definitely did a double take when I found out it was Bell's character's son who was abusing her.

And given the previews, I'm hoping that her husband didn't die and she's stuck with that monster of a son w/o any deflection from the hubby

Roxy is a bad ass chic, love her so far.

Greta

Greta

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 10:39 PM

I loved it and, ahem, my taste is impeccable, if eclectic. :)

My absolute favorite scene was the one between Catherine Bell (Denise?) and her husband. Just the way they interacted as he was leaving told me there was no way in hell he was the one hitting her. That little punk-ass bitch of a son needs an ass-whooping.

It is actually filmed in Charleston, correct? I hope they get out and about in the city; it's a lovely one.

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 11:12 PM

I figured it was the son, as soon as she put on that long sleeved shirt to go talk to her husband. But it was still a shock when he actually hit her.

The baby delivery was borderline cheese, but I will forgive that fact, because I loved everything else. There isn't ONE army wife that I don't like, as of yet, so we will see.

And Kim D looks FABULOUS.

littlecaesar

littlecaesar

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 11:34 PM

I am madly in love with Roxy, Trevor, and their kids. Could they be any cuter?

It really wasn't bad at all. Especially for a pilot episode.

I like how the majority of the couples seem to actually like each other and have happy marriages (for now, anyway-I'm sure that will change as the show goes on).

Edited by littlecaesar, Jun 3, 2007 @ 11:34 PM.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 3, 2007 @ 11:35 PM

I like this too. It'll be great to see how everything unfolds.

I didn't suspect the son as the abuser until we actually saw him strike his mother.

strengththroughpeace

strengththroughpeace

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 12:44 AM

I thought it was bad, offensively bad. It makes Army wives seem like extreme freaks...this show will not humanize them or allow non-military people to identify with their problems. Instead it packs every wildly implausible, trashy scenario possible into a sleazy soap opera that exploits the community it ought to be honoring.
I'm not a military person, but have friends who are. I'm ashamed of this show on their behalf.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 12:56 AM

I know this show is probably in no way true to life, but I'll admit... I enjoyed it.

Part of that is because I love Catherine Bell, but I think this will be a good summer show.

Tears of Flame

Tears of Flame

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 12:59 AM

I really liked this surprisingly. I liked almost everyone. And let me add that Kim Delaney looks fucking GREAT and she looked like shit on L&O: SVU. I like Roxie a lot and the red head Pamela, I like that she used to be a cop. Basically everyone engaged me and I was interested in their story. Now Catherine Bell I've never seen her in anything not even in all ten years JAG was on. She seemed a little wooden to me. Hopefully she'll loosen up and I'll start to like her. I will make sure to record the next episode. That Lt. Colonel has me intrigued about what happened to her.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 5:56 AM

It makes Army wives seem like extreme freaks...

Yeah, but no different than how any other show displays a group of people. My street is nothing like Desp. Housewives either.

Like most of you, I was pleasantly surprised and will watch again.

sunandsand

sunandsand

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 6:41 AM

I loved this show! It's perfect for summer, with school out. I was an Army wife and found it realistic. Some of the storylines are riveting, especially the parent abuse one and the LTC back from Afghanistan. I used to go to those "teas"! And the girls going to the bar - I knew some wives like that too. I can't wait until the next episode! I would have watched it anyway, but it was a special treat to see Kim Delaney again. I enjoy this group of 5 people - they'll be interesting to watch!

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 8:54 AM

I was suprised at how much I didn't think last night's premiere sucked. And that was with me coming in prejudiced against it just because it was a Lifetime show.

And it's funny that even with it being a Lifetime show, one of my favorite characters so far is actually the Army husband, not one of the Army wives. Roland (if I remember his name correctly) was just too perfect. Although, if the previews are to be believed, maybe he is too perfect.

The things that grated were small. Drew Fuller should not try to pull off a southern accent. And I have never had any personal connection to the military and all my knowledge comes from books/TV/movies/etc., but I don't think if Trevor just married Roxy that they would be able to swing a house on the base (sorry, post) already. Also, I'm pretty sure Trevor would have been told sooner than the night before that he would be training to become a paratrooper.

But I'm willing to give this show a chance for awhile. As for the other new shows that Lifetime was pushing during commercial breaks, I don't think I'll touch them with a ten foot pole.

stellargirl

stellargirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

I also liked it...I don't know how true-to-life it was because I've never lived on base or I guess in the army, on post. It was pretty familiar though when they showed the army lady "getting back" and when the one guy had to leave. All too familiar with my DH being a Marine now for 14 years. It about choked me up in both instances. I'll keep watching...

Shooflypie

Shooflypie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:09 AM

I liked this show so far. The women interact so nicely, even with the rank differences. I was a Navy wife for 24 years, and went to lots of those teas also. I was surprised to see that both officer and enlisted wives were invited to the tea, as there usually isn't much interaction between the ranks socially. There wasn't, at least, during our time in the Navy, and the Army was always much more uptight. Of course, my husband retired in '95, so I am pretty out of touch.

I was really bothered by Pamela's husband. What a dick! He didn't want her to work, and didn't want anyone to know about the surrogacy cause it would "ruin" him, but he was all too happy to spend the money it brought in. Those 2 wives who gossiped about her were vicious. Everyone of similar ranks know what the other makes money wise, so suspicion of too much money would raise eyebrows, but assuming drugs are involved and spreading that around is vile. Usually the answer is that all credit cards are maxxed out. You do same a good bit of money living on post, but these days nuthin is cheap.

The LTC's husband is a great addition to the group. He was so cute with the gals during the delivery of the twins.

stellargirl

stellargirl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

The LTC's husband is a great addition to the group. He was so cute with the gals during the delivery of the twins.

I kept trying to figure out who the actor was...like I've seen him before. Anyone know?

eta: clicked on spoiler instand of quote

Edited by stellargirl, Jun 4, 2007 @ 9:19 AM.

Whosures

Whosures

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 12:53 PM

I actually still was lost. I was like, "DAMN, her son beats her too??" When he said, "You won't tell him" I thought he would finish with "Because you don't say anything when he smacks you around." Then I thought it odd that she jumped when her hubby touched her arm, but I figured it was because she didn't want him to hit her again. LOL! I didn't figure it out until she was telling her friends.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 1:26 PM

That was a pretty good debut. I'll admit that I had no great interest in the premise other than that I'm willing to overlook bad TV if it gives me a little Drew Fuller to gaze at, but the rest of the storylines were interesting enough to hold my attention. The actress who plays Roxy reminds me of Kyra Sedgewick. If Brenda ever needs a sister on 'The Closer", she'd work well. Ironing never appealed to me before, but I may reconsider.

sunandsand

sunandsand

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:01 PM

"but I don't think if Trevor just married Roxy that they would be able to swing a house on the base (sorry, post) already. Also, I'm pretty sure Trevor would have been told sooner than the night before that he would be training to become a paratrooper."

Yes, he would get post housing if he was married. I assumed they had been married for a while when they pulled up in front of the house. He would have to apply to get her "military privileges" - PX, commissary, hospital, etc. The Army would recognize her as his wife. And depending on the circumstances, the paratrooper thing could have been last minute too.

Edited by sunandsand, Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:02 PM.

Guitargal

Guitargal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:05 PM

The actress who plays Roxy reminds me of Kyra Sedgewick.

I kept thinking the same thing.

I loved her line "Remember me? Thong?" Lol!

I liked Roland too. And when they said he had a big...car.

He's been in a bunch of stuff. Pick your Poison.

mybabyaidan

mybabyaidan

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

Then I thought it odd that she jumped when her hubby touched her arm, but I figured it was because she didn't want him to hit her again.

I think she flinched because it was the spot where the bruises were, so it hurt to the touch. I attribute my pick up on the son to CB's facial expressions. When the husband took her arm, I saw a flinch of pain as opposed to fear.

Zoned Out

Zoned Out

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:50 PM

but I don't think if Trevor just married Roxy that they would be able to swing a house on the base (sorry, post) already. Also, I'm pretty sure Trevor would have been told sooner than the night before that he would be training to become a paratrooper.

Yes, he would get post housing if he was married. I assumed they had been married for a while when they pulled up in front of the house.

At the tea party Roxy said they had either known each other or been married for 17 days. By the tea party they had already been to the promotion dinner and she had gotten the job, so at the very most they might have been married two weeks by the time they pulled onto the base. However, when Trevor proposed to her she said something about his leave being over so I assumed they had to leave pretty quickly to get back to the base and that they had only been married a few days when they pulled up to the house. I know he would get post housing, I just doubt he could swing it that quickly.

The other thing I wondered about: I know there is a heirarchy pretty much everywhere on the post, but I couldn't quite believe they wouldn't take care of a young child that was throwing up constantly at the post hospital. It set up the scene between Roxy and Kim Delaney's character, but it just seemed weird to me. But if someone who knows more than I do says that would happen then I'll be happy to change my opinion (though not thrilled that that could happen).

Edited by Zoned Out, Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:52 PM.

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 2:53 PM

Didn't Roxy say she had only known her husband for 17 days? So they would have been married even fewer days than that. Unless there is a bunch of surplus housing on this post, there's no way a couple could get on base housing in 2 weeks. I love that he's a great guy though! He's good with the kids and really seems to love her.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. I recorded the 1st one just to make sure it wasn't worth recording - and now I want to keep watching!

Although I think I would have preferred to keep driving instead of having a baby in a bar. At least you're that much closer to the hospital when it's over.

"It wasn't me!"

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 3:12 PM

I kept trying to figure out who the actor was...like I've seen him before. Anyone know?

If it helps any the first time I saw him I could of sworn it was Dule Hill, especially with the sunglasses.

Of course as soon as he took the sunglasses off I thought I was an idiot for thinking it was Dule.

The actor is actually Sterling K. Brown and he's guest starred on quite a few shows I watch. Among them being Supernatural and Third Watch.

I actually also really liked this show. I'd watched it earlier in the week OnDemand and was particularly taken by a scene mentioned earlier, with Catherine Bell's character and her husband saying goodbye. I'm glad she finally told Kim Delaney's character the truth. And I really really like Roxy.

I'll keep tuning in and I have to say I disagree with the way some feel it portrays Army wives. Some of the secondary characters indeed did go to those extremes but I felt overall (with the exception of Brigid Bannah's character) that the main wives were quite well rounded and portrayed in a very positive way.

And to echo GuitarGal's point everyone on tv is portrayed in the extremes. We also have to remember this is from one of the minds responsible for Grey's Anatomay (according to the commercials) and look how they portray doctors.

I'll definitely watch it again but I really hope they don't kill off Catherine Bell's character's husband. They implied in the coming attractions and that relationship is one of the one's I like best.

Edited by SanLynn, Jun 5, 2007 @ 2:12 PM.

Nikki528

Nikki528

Fanatic

Posted Jun 4, 2007 @ 7:23 PM

Do soldiers really not like their wives to work? (Going off of what Pamela said).