ACTOR/WRITER: Mindy Kaling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

235 replies to this topic

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 14, 2008 @ 2:44 AM

"BJ Novak and Friends & One Mortal Enemy, Mindy Kaling" is a great title! I'd totally go see that.

She recalled, “Just before the season started, I came out to audition. They didn't offer me a part, but the audition went pretty well and that night, they were like, 'Do you want to come write for the show?' Greg [Daniels; “The Office” executive producer] used to write for 'SNL,' and he had known that being on 'SNL' was my great dream. He said, 'Listen, if you get cast on the show, I'll let you break your contract and go do it. But if they ask you to write, I can't, because you have a job writing here, plus you're on the show.'

'So I'm not going to let you leave the show so you can go be in New York.' At that time, I missed New York so badly. I hated L.A. for a long time and I wanted to leave it. I had these fantasies of going to 'SNL' and falling in love with some writer on 'SNL,' of getting married and living in New York. That was really heartbreaking to have to turn down, but then I got to guest write in the spring.”

Edited by spicycurry, Dec 5, 2008 @ 1:49 PM.

dcalley

dcalley

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 7:44 PM

Mindy is going to participate in a live chat on washingtonpost.com. You can submit questions now or during the chat, which starts at 11 a.m. ET tomorrow. I don't have anything to ask her but will definitely read this later!

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2009 @ 12:57 PM

Great job by Mindy writing last night's ep!

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

I just started watching this show regularly, but I didn't even know she was a writer for this show. She did a great job last night. One of the best episodes of the season.

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2009 @ 3:50 PM

Mindy on OfficeTally Chat

Mindy Kaling: BJ and I were joking today that, at this point, it might be believable that we just come back one episode and Ryan and Kelly got married.

Also, when was this?

Edited by spicycurry, Apr 12, 2009 @ 1:56 PM.

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2009 @ 8:35 PM

via Variety

NBC has Tina Fey-style plans for "The Office's" Mindy Kaling, signing the multihyphenate to an overall deal with the Peacock and Universal Media Studios. Under terms of the two-year, seven-figure deal, Kaling will continue to write for and appear on "The Office" next season while simultaneously developing a comedy in which she would also star. "This is my first step in a Transformers-style way to take over the whole world," Kaling quipped. "I've only ever worked for NBC, and I've felt an enormous amount of support from the executives there."

NBC primetime entertainment prexy Angela Bromstad called Kaling "a rare and unique talent." "Her comic sensibility is perfect for what we stand for in NBC comedy," Bromstad said. Kaling, who notes that her time at "The Office" has been akin to going through "the Greg Daniels Graduate School of Writing," said her tastes now skew in the single-camera comedy direction -- but that she isn't opposed to writing a multicamera laffer. In kicking around different development ideas, Kaling said she's drawn to workplace comedies but is also interested in buddy shows in the vein of "Flight of the Conchords." "I've always wanted to do another show about women," said Kaling, whose past credits include writing the WB pilot "Mindy and Brenda," along with Brenda Withers, for Carsey-Werner and Steve Martin.

frannyglass

frannyglass

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 23, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

Mindy was on Craig Ferguson last night. Here's the link on Youtube: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6BiOP5poGN8

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2009 @ 1:08 AM

In which Mindy says her favorite album is Graceland but her last concert was Arcade Fire at the Hollywood Bowl:

What's your dream concert lineup?
Jenny Lewis and Liz Phair together. [Rilo Kiley's] "Portions for Foxes" and [Phair's] "Fuck and Run" are smart, fucked-up songs about making terrible mistakes with men in your mid-20s. I'm attracted to that.

Who on The Office has musical taste that's most similar to yours?
I'd say my best friend, B.J. Novak. We both can talk at length about why we like Justin Timberlake a lot.

Also, she danced for Jimmy Fallon over webcam.

Edited by spicycurry, Jul 21, 2009 @ 12:47 AM.

goodlucinda

goodlucinda

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

Is MK pregnant? She looked rounder last night. Gorgeous girl in any case . . .

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2009 @ 4:22 AM

Mindy's gold birthday cake

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

She was on Saturday Night Live. She didn't get to do much. She didn't even get to dance. What a waste.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

The "team behind Juno" are making a Mindy Kaling/Brent Forrester script.

Research Girl

Research Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

I just read somewhere that Mindy Kaling and BJ Novak used to date, is that true? If so, it gives a whole new spin to Kelly/Ryan.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Dec 17, 2009 @ 2:35 PM

Is Mindy departing the show, at least as an actor? Kelly's barely been onscreen all season.

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 21, 2009 @ 2:19 PM

Mindy's Unbelievable Holiday Tale at the New York Times:

This time, the family that I assumed the parking attendant was referring to included a dark-haired agnostic architect husband named Alex who liked ethnic food and zombie movies. (For the record, Alex is a product of my imagination. I realize that no real people are actually architects, and that it is a profession that exists entirely in movies, like art gallery owner or children’s bookshop proprietor.) Anyway, back to Alex. He was ethereal and dressed terribly because he didn’t care about clothes, but I kind of liked that about him. He did little things that drove me crazy like leaving his suitcase in the middle of the room when he returned from a business trip, an idiosyncrasy I once heard Michelle Obama attribute to her husband.

Alex and I lived in Hancock Park — a hip Los Angeles neighborhood — and I loved him so much that I was in a perpetual state of grinning. The kids were, I don’t know, kids. Really cute, etc. I have less experience with cute kids than I do with cute guys, so I’m not able to describe them as well, but trust me — super cute. The problem with being a writer of romance and romantic situations is that my capacity for creating and believing in fantasy is huge. Nothing can ever be as amazing as Harry & Sally or, in my book, Joe Fox & Kathleen Kelly from the movie “You’ve Got Mail.

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2010 @ 12:10 AM

Someone tell Mindy that the domain for Things I Bought That I Love expired almost a week and a half ago!

spicycurry

spicycurry

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2010 @ 12:35 AM

The Crown Publishing Group said on Thursday that it had acquired a book from Ms. Kaling called “The Contents of My Purse,” planned for a fall 2011 release, which the publisher described as a cross between “Love, Loss and What I Wore,” and Ms. Kaling’s blog, Things I’ve Bought That I Love. But in a telephone interview Ms. Kaling indicated she might have other plans. “What they bought was a funny book of comedy essays,” she said, “but maybe I’ll just turn it into a Jon Krakauer piece about murder in Siberia and perilous adventure to find details about that. I don’t want to be boxed in.”

Assuming she does stick to the original plan, Ms. Kaling said the book would probably be “stories about my life and my opinions.”

“But,” she continued, “I have such a rich fantasy life, I can’t help it. I do make up a lot of romantic stories in my head. I bet that will be in the book. Who knows? I could turn in a pulpy detective novel. The way that I think things work is that they don’t really check in with you until you turn something in.”

Either way, she said: “I’ve already spent the money that I sold it for. I’m really under the gun here to produce something.”. “The Contents of My Purse” was acquired by Suzanne O’Neill, senior editor of Crown Publishing Group. Ms. Kaling is represented by Richard Abate and Howard Klein of 3 Arts Entertainment. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2010 @ 12:34 PM

Mindy was a guest on Craig Ferguson's show last night - available from the usual sources.

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2011 @ 10:31 AM

Last Night, Mindy was a guest on Lopez tonight and she said her contract expires at the end of the season. She didn't say she was leaving for sure, but it did sound like she was done with the show. I wish George Lopez would have asked more questions, but that's all I know.

She's one of the best writers the show has, and she's been there since the beginning.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Oct 3, 2011 @ 9:57 AM

Mindy is blogging again!

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Oct 6, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

She's a fun blogger. I think the 140 limit of twitter holds back her Mindy-ness. Glad to see she's back at it again.

ninakix

ninakix

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2011 @ 10:11 AM

Anyone read Mindy's book? She has some good Office anecdotes.

Said she really, really, didn't want Kevin to drop the bucket of Chili in one episode. Wonder what that was about. It's the first question I would ask her in person.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2012 @ 4:46 PM

I hope to dig into Mindy's book soon. ninakix, I'm interested to find out about Kevin and the bucket of chili as well. I didn't like that bit too much either.

I saw this nbc.com link today - gotta love the "You've Got Mail" mini poster and the "gravestone" placard on the wall behind her desk. Also, I actually saw "No Strings Attached" a few months ago. (thank you, I'm fine now, I must have been delusional there for two hours.) Mindy's part was fun as the BFF.

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2012 @ 4:59 PM

I read her book. It's a pretty easy read and I finished it in one night. I've become a Mindy Kaling super-fan over the couple months since the book came out. I now read every article she is mentioned in.

Ikar, you will love the book. The stuff about Greg Daniels and the early days of The Office are very interesting.

Edited by BoogieBurns, Jan 10, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2012 @ 5:51 AM

Mindy's pilot picked up by Fox

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

The Mindy Project - I'll watch!

And apparently we'll see Kelly Kapoor one or two times this year.