ACTOR/WRITER: Mindy Kaling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

235 replies to this topic

krishnaa

krishnaa

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 6:36 PM

She's the author who wrote "The Injury", among others. She also plays Kelly in the office (and has cute bangs and hair extensions), the chatty girl who wants Ryan's babies.

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a thread for her. I know she doesn't play a big role on the show, but her writing is amazing.
She also has a lot of memorable Ryan/Michael parts, which are always hilarious ;)

Here, we can ponder about the similarities between her and Kelly, how cute she looked in that outfit versus the time she was on gofugyourself.com, and what she does on our tv.

Should I mention she was in a recent interview with Angela Kinsey, who remarked on her singing skills as well? Fascinating.

Edited by krishnaa, Nov 15, 2006 @ 6:36 PM.

forwhatpurpose

forwhatpurpose

Posted Nov 17, 2006 @ 12:20 AM

My favorite Kelly line:

"Who invented cupcakes!? I want to kill 'em!"

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 11:54 PM

I saw her in NYC in a play called Matt & Ben, where she played, no lie, Ben Affleck. She was quite funny and her character on The Office is a complete 180.

Professor K

Professor K

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 23, 2007 @ 11:51 PM

My husband and I sat across from her in JFK airport a few weeks ago. We were so excited but didn't want to bother her -- so we whispered to each other and shot her sidelong glances for 20 minutes. I'm sure that wasn't annoying at all.

She has a blog called Things I've bought That I Love where she along with some other Office writers post.

ETA: sneakynin -- she is very tiny. I don't know if they pad her, or if she's lost some weight, or both, but she is seriously small. There's a pic on her blog of her in a bikini -- tiny, tiny, tiny.

Edited by Professor K, Jan 23, 2007 @ 11:57 PM.

sneakynin

sneakynin

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 23, 2007 @ 11:53 PM

Does she really have a little junk in the trunk? She looks quite tiny to me...maybe even like they pad her up a bit on the show.

GreenFish

GreenFish

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 12:12 AM

I saw her in NYC in a play called Matt & Ben, where she played, no lie, Ben Affleck.

WOW! I totally remember reading about that a long time ago, and I never made the connection that she was one of the co-creators. Awesome. Here's the official website in case anyone's interested.

I really love Mindy. And we're the same age. Man. I feel like such a slacker now. Wow.

Linds20

Linds20

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 12:25 AM

Her blog is hilarious. I love how flagrantly materialistic she is.

withwonderly

withwonderly

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 1:06 AM

I saw her in NYC in a play called Matt & Ben, where she played, no lie, Ben Affleck. She was quite funny and her character on The Office is a complete 180.

Another example of how The Office reunites old co-stars: The Matt to Mindy's Ben was played by Brenda Withers, who played Brenda in "Booze Cruise." I love connections like that!

Her blog is hilarious. I love how flagrantly materialistic she is.

Ditto that, my brother (er, sister?)! I love how she says things like, "My love is like whoa" regarding Beyonce and J. Lo.

Edited by withwonderly, Jan 24, 2007 @ 1:07 AM.

halfbaked

halfbaked

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 1:08 AM

Another example of how The Office reunites old co-stars: The Matt to Mindy's Ben was played by Brenda Withers, who played Brenda in "Booze Cruise."

Not only co-stars but co-writers as well.

Bitter pill

Bitter pill

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 6:25 PM

I was reading this story about Ed Helms posted in the media thread and there is a mention of other NBC stars including Parminder Nagra from ER. This little bit of info reminded me of the recent posts in this thread:

(Parminder's nickname is "Mindy", by the way)

and it prodded me into going to imdb to retrieve the trivia I referred to earlier:

Mindy is a given nickname that came from television show "Mork & Mindy"

Remember that imdb isn't always correct, so do what you will with that.

Saffron

Saffron

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 6:39 PM

Ben Affleck was hanging all over The Office folk at the Golden Globes, particularly his fellow Bostoners--I wonder if he had any interaction with Mindy and what that was like.

CountChoculitis

CountChoculitis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2007 @ 11:49 PM

I recently read Killer Heels, one the Molly Forrester novels by Sheryl J. Anderson. I bought it based on Mindy's recommendation in her blog, and it was a great book. So clearly, in addition to all her other talents, Mindy has great taste in chick lit.

Willow

Willow

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 26, 2007 @ 2:31 AM

Mindy is my #1 girlcrush, and I sooo wish she was my best friend. Shopping and boys and yummy food and cocktails -- we share all the same interests!

Regarding her size, yes, she is tiny by real world standards. Any references to her "junk" are very much a reflection of the fucked-up standards of Hollywood and the fact that most successful actresses have bones sticking out where they shouldn't. JMO.

Melina Detroit

Melina Detroit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2007 @ 9:00 AM

Watched an Office re-run last night, and now I can't get out of my head the sound of Mindy clapping, "Fashion show! Fashion show! Fashion show at lunch!" (encouraging Pam to try on her new red top.)

I love how anytime someone has to call Mindy they have to hold the phone away from their ear to escape the high-pitched, super-enthusiastic squealing. That always makes me laugh.

BeetFarmGirl

BeetFarmGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2007 @ 11:12 AM

I'd love Mindy Kaling for the sole reason that she wrote Pam's Dundie acceptance speech "I feel God in this Chili's"

In the DVD commentary She also gave major props to just about anyone who contributed to the episode, I love how it becomes a running gag throughout the commentary, everytime Mindy mentions "so-and-so added this line or this bit" the other commentators are like "Mindy, how much 'writing' did you actually do?"

Bitter pill

Bitter pill

Posted Jan 28, 2007 @ 11:26 PM

Mindy at the SAG Awards.

CountChoculitis

CountChoculitis

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

Thanks, Bitter pill. Mindy looks very cute, although her dress seems to be a little translucent from the waist down!

Regarding her size, yes, she is tiny by real world standards.

Agree, I also think that she sometimes looks less slender than she actually is because she has a round face.

filthpunkdammit

filthpunkdammit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2007 @ 11:33 PM

Mindy is my #1 girlcrush, and I sooo wish she was my best friend.

Seriously, I think I'm developing a mad girlcrush, too.

I downloaded the M.I.A. song she reccomended on her blog and it's like my new favorite song now...

And thanks Bitter pill for the photo. She looks great. Love the mismatched nail polish!

Edited by filthpunkdammit, Jan 28, 2007 @ 11:33 PM.

kariak

kariak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:22 AM

Her shoes are red. Not sure how I feel about that (because, my opinion matters so much).

I'm excited for Ben Franklin. I love Mindy episodes.

Bitter pill

Bitter pill

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:28 AM

Her shoes are red. Not sure how I feel about that

I think I like them. I like "splashes of color" (how's that for red carpet fashion-ese?). I liked Helen Mirren's bright yellow bag against the navy dress.

I think I like her GG dress from last year out of all her event dresses, though I haven't seen a great picture of it. It was white and beaded and in her blog she made a joke about it being a Las Vegas wedding dress. I'm a fan of white on darker complexions (it's a bit of envy, really, since I'm so pale), but it was more than that - it was really not fussy and she is so tiny that she easily gets overpowered by too many details and accessories.

Edited by Bitter pill, Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:29 AM.

withwonderly

withwonderly

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:32 AM

Minus the sheerness of the dress, I think Mindy looks really good! I like the red shoes, although I'm not crazy about the high platformness of them. I really like the earrings, and I love her new haircut! I think it's really fresh and fun (I sound like a commercial).

Ooh, I should go get the M.I.A. song. I only know "Galang," and it's pretty fun.

GreenEyes284

GreenEyes284

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:34 AM

Adore Mindy's short hair!! I think it looks too cute with her round face and big, pretty eyes! Loved her dress at the SAG awards; what a pretty color on her! She is a doll.

kariak

kariak

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:34 AM

My issue with the shoes wasn't that they are red, but that they are red and her dress is purple. Not colours that traditionally should be worn together. Honestly though, who cares? She looks really nice.

Bitter pill

Bitter pill

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 2:43 AM

My issue with the shoes wasn't that they are red, but that they are red and her dress is purple.

I understood your concern. But, I still like the those combination. Purple and red actually do go quite well together.

And, I agree. She does look nice.

nocturnelle

nocturnelle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 4:36 AM

Love the mismatched nail polish!

Me too! I wonder if it's OPI I'm Not Really A Waitress on the toes and Chanel Madness on the nails, shades endorsed by her blog.

And I too think purple and red go together well, in a random non-matchy-matchy type of way. Plus, Mindy can pretty much do no wrong in my eyes.

filthpunkdammit

filthpunkdammit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 4:51 AM

Me too! I wonder if it's OPI I'm Not Really A Waitress on the toes and Chanel Madness on the nails, shades endorsed by her blog.

LOL - I bet it is.

BurntSiena

BurntSiena

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 5:45 AM

Mindy is really funny in both "Valentine's Day" and "The Carpet." In fact, I love pretty much any scene featuring JKras and Mindy. They work very well together. I mean, they're no Jim and Pam, but who knows?

I would just be so psyched if Ryan and Kelly could date, like, forever. But maybe that belongs on the Kapoor thread.

Plus "Diwali" was the episode that finally got me out of my "Office" funk this season. I love it unconditionally.

Prof K I am very envious of the Mindy sighting. Is it sad that I harbor fantasies about being stopped on the street and asked for directions... by JKras and Rashida Jones?

Professor K

Professor K

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 9:06 AM

BurntSiena: yes, but only because I'm such a JAM shipper. ;)

I think it's pretty funny how Mindy has reinvented Kelly's wardrobe (there's a HUGE difference between Kelly's season one costumes and season three costumes). Maybe Kelly has started reading Mindy's blog. ("Fashion show! Fashion show! Fashion show at lunch!")

I also remember hearing somewhere (maybe on the DVD commentaries?) that Mindy tried to get Greg Daniels to approve & pay for hair extensions for Kelly. Of course, those extensions would HAVE to be applied to Mindy's hair.

filthpunkdammit

filthpunkdammit

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 9:42 AM

Here's another great photo of Mindy from the red carpet. She's sporting the Betsy Johnson handbag she mentioned on her blog. I soooo wanna raid this girl's closet...

nocturnelle

nocturnelle

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 29, 2007 @ 10:27 AM

Here's another great photo of Mindy from the red carpet.

I love it! How awesome it is it that she carries a clutch that sells for only like, 65 dollars, on the red carpet?! She rocks. And she's is so tiny too, you can really notice it in that picture. And yay, that weird sheerness we were seeing earlier isn't so obvious in this one. Mindy is seriously my number one girl crush right now.