Championship Boxing on HBO: Average Boxing Elsewhere

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

131 replies to this topic

ClosingTime

ClosingTime

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 12:50 AM

I will say though the man does know how to entertain. I can't believe he called out that interviewer for being biased and said HBO should fire him. And then the guy says something about wishing he was 50 years younger so he could knock Mayweather out. Too funny. It seemed a bit staged....but funny nonetheless.

I think Floyd and Merchant have had bad blood for awhile now and this isn't the first time that Floyd has accused Merchant of not liking him. I always love it when they have Merchant interview Floyd because you know it will be entertaining.

I do think we will get a Mayweather/Ortiz rematch before Floyd ever accepts a fight with Pac Man.

Eh, I don't think Mayweather/Pac Man will ever happen (or if it does, it will be past both of their primes), but I doubt Ortiz wants anymore with Floyd. He got his payday and while his win over Berto was impressive, he really doesn't have the ring intelligence to stand in there with Floyd. I'm not really a Mayweather fan (guy is a major asshole), but he is one hell of a boxer.

With what happened tonight, it can be argued that Mayweather should have been a better sport, this is boxing and you do protect yourself at all times. Pacquiao or ODL or even Mosley might have hugged it out and let Ortiz regain his position, but Floyd got him back for the headbutt and took advantage of Ortiz dropping his gloves like an amateur.

I actually like Ortiz and he's young, so I'm sure he can rebuild and hopefully he'll be a great fighter.

PoeticJustice32

PoeticJustice32

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2011 @ 10:01 AM

I think Floyd and Merchant have had bad blood for awhile now and this isn't the first time that Floyd has accused Merchant of not liking him.

I'm fairly new to boxing. I know some big names but don't really watch the fights. This was actually the first one I was willing to sit through. I have no doubt that Floyd and Merchant (is that his real name?) have bad blood, but with Floyd you just never know. The guy is a master manipulator. Some of the commentators were saying Floyd was not at all like that "villain" he tries to portray...and that might very well be true.

he really doesn't have the ring intelligence to stand in there with Floyd.

He really doesn't. I kept hearing that Ortiz will never "outbox" Floyd. He would have to just turn it into a brawl and basically hope for the best. I thought he was on his way to doing that until everything unfolded.

I would actually like to see a rematch between them (if the Pacquiao thing doesn't happen).

but Floyd got him back for the headbutt and took advantage of Ortiz dropping his gloves like an amateur.

That is what had me shaking my head. Mayweather got him with the first shot and instead of getting in his stance or moving away, he looks at the ref? OMG. My natural reaction would be to get back in defensive mode and think about the ref later. If what Mayweather did was illegal then the ref would call it either way, but I'd protect myself first.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 7:27 AM

Respectfully, I just wanted to note the passing of former Heavyweight boxing champion 'Smokin' Joe Frazier who passed away yesterday, Monday night (11/7/2011) after a brief bout with liver cancer. He was the main rival of Muhammad Ali and together they gave boxing some of it's most epic battles.

RIP Joe

Edited by getawayjordan, Nov 8, 2011 @ 7:30 AM.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2011 @ 8:41 AM

His trilogy of fights with Ali was one of the best in boxing history. He wasn't as smooth as Ali, in or out of the ring, but boy could he hit.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Coverage of the death of Angelo Dundee has reminded me of how insanely popular Ali was at his height. Now it's easy for anyone to become a celebrity, but back in a pre-internet, pre-ESPN, four broadcast channel world, even those associated with Ali (Pacheco, Dundee, Brown) managed to become famous.

As a kid, I though Bundini was the coolest name ever.

Edited by xaxat, Feb 2, 2012 @ 5:00 PM.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 5:35 PM

Kudos to Epix for carrying the Klitschko fight and not pulling the plug on it when the moron he fought delayed the fight for 53 minutes after complaining first that they wouldn't let him come in to his rap song and then when that was settled complained about the gauze or the wraps or the gloves or something else. If I never hear Dereck's name again, it'll be three days too soon. This after the fool slapped Klitchko during weigh-in (and then ran like a little girl) and then spit water in Klitschko's face during the instructions, center ring. Ya just don't poke at the bear. Ya just don't.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

That was bad.

The group I was with was actually losing interest in the fight as it went on because we thought it was it was clear that Pacquiao was racking up the rounds and Bradley didn't have the power to win in a knockout. I was shocked when I heard the first score (115-113 Pacquiao) and assumed that was the incompetent judge.

It's pretty sad when part of the pre-event analysis is discussing whether the judges are qualified to do their job.

B2H

B2H

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Boxing can't go on for too much longer with the kind of shennanigans that went on in Vegas on Saturday night. I wonder how long until HBO and Showtime decide to no longer broadcast the fights. Without the PPV revenue, the sport will just die and they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Oct 25, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Emanuel Steward dead at 68.
As good a trainer as he was, he was just as good commentating on HBO. I always regretted when he had a fighter competing on a HBO card, because that meant he wouldn't be in the booth. RIP Manny.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Oct 25, 2012 @ 6:04 PM.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Former boxing champion Hector "Macho" Camacho on life support.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

And to wrap up the year in boxing: Pacquiao-Marquez 4, or Mama Said Knock You Out.

xaxat

xaxat

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

Finally, a Mayweather fight I am actually looking forward to. Floyd Mayweather- Canelo Alvarez to fight at 152