Proved Me Wrong: Actors That Have You Second-Guessing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

268 replies to this topic

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 3:06 PM

I saw Shattered Glass before the Star Wars "prequels" (I hate that word), and I think I over-estimated Christensen's ability. He's surrounded by very good actors in Shattered Glass and that makes a big difference. Either they force him to bring whatever A-game he has, or they just raise the tone of the proceedings, but I don't think he's been as good since. He's kind of whiny and unlikeable in My Life as House, too; Jumper was awful - Anakin Lite. The boy hasn't got much range.

Maybe he's devoting all his acting talent to convincing us that he and Rachael Bilson are actually a couple?

Patricia Heaton has really made my opinion of her do a 180° on The Middle. Her Frankie Heck is so warm and likable there, in complete contrast to Debra Barone.

just watching2

just watching2

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2010 @ 5:22 PM

Fringe's John Noble, whether as Dr. Bishop or Secretary Bishop he rocks my world with great acting and keeps me second-guessing as a result.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 6:48 PM

I have always disliked Christopher McDonald as an actor - in all fairness, because the characters I've seen him play, especially Thelma's truly awful husband in Thelma and Louise,were so sleazy that I'd cross the street to avoid them in real life.

When I first saw him as Harry's Law's Tommy Jefferson, I figured I was in for more of the same - an arrogant, shallow blowhard with questionable ethics. Imagine my surprise to discover that Tommy had plenty of layers, some of them quite intriguing, and that McDonald was, in fact, likable and appealing in the role.

I now smile when I see him enter a scene, and can only say, in proper legalese.... mea culpa

thuganomics85

thuganomics85

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Sadly, a bad kind of second-guessing for me lately is Summer Glau. I thought she was good in Firefly and I completely loved her in Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. But I'm finding her kind of awful on The Cape. Sure, part of it is the writing is pretty bad, but while other actors like Keith David and James Frain managed to get by without any damage, she just come off very bland and boring. So, now I'm wondering is this just an one time thing, or she someone who is great at playing crazy or robotic, but sucks at everything else.

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 12:58 AM

Who thought that J. K. Simmons would be so deadpan funny in those Farmers Insurance commercials after years of seeing him as Verne Schillinger?

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 1:02 AM

Schillinger did get a few funny moments. Also, Simmons is the voice of one of the M&M's, and J Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man movies. He's pretty good at funny. But I suppose if you're not familiar with those other works, it can be disconcerting, yeah.

Kev

Kev

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 1:54 AM

I'm now picturing Vern as one of those M&Ms.

"Take my chocolate, bitch"!

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 6:41 AM

Oh god, that's a horrible mental image.

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 1:07 PM

What about Dean Withers doing Allstate ads. If Verne Schillinger as a college dean is unnerving, Ryan O'Reilly doing physical and other comedy would be even more so (he is very funny imitating a broken-hearted teenage girl driving and texting).

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Feb 20, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

What about Dean Withers doing Allstate ads. If Verne Schillinger as a college dean is unnerving, Ryan O'Reilly doing physical and other comedy would be even more so (he is very funny imitating a broken-hearted teenage girl driving and texting).

I knew he was funny from his stint on 30 Rock. I hope they keep finding more ways to bring him back.

HopeWings16

HopeWings16

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 25, 2011 @ 12:12 AM

I couldn't stand Claire Danes on My So-Called Life (back in the day!), but her performance as Temple Grandin solidified her, in my view, as a talented actress...even if she has been winning awards for this role since God was a boy!

The other one is (and I may get totally slammed for this, but so be it,) Eva Longoria-no-longer-Parker. I watched her on Young and the Restless and thought her performance was, at best, mediocre. However, THIS season of Desperate Housewives has given her a chance to show her stuff, and I'm impressed.

Batman Beatles

Batman Beatles

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2011 @ 2:00 PM

I couldn't stand Claire Danes on My So-Called Life (back in the day!), but her performance as Temple Grandin solidified her, in my view, as a talented actress...even if she has been winning awards for this role since God was a boy!

Tell me about it. The real Temple was impressed by her portrayal.

HandBanana

HandBanana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I have seen the Sopranos in reruns, and I just HATED Michael Imperioli's character, to the point where I wrongly thought I disliked him as an actor. I was kind of reluctant to watch Detroit 187, but I'm glad I did, he is awesome.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2011 @ 11:37 PM

Mariska Hargitay makes me second guess my second guess; I absolutely loathed her in ER, thought she was a bit awkward but markedly improved when L&O: SVU first started and then came to quite like her for the rest of the time I watched the show (which was only through season six or so). But when I rest upon a recent episode for a few minutes during my channel surfing, I find her pretty awful. I think it's the Botox; it's pretty hard to act when one has forsaken the physical ability to emote.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 1:16 PM

The first time I ever saw Jim Carrey was in a movie called Doing Time on Maple Drive where he played the alcoholic son in the family. I thought he was a serious actor and I liked his portrayal quite a bit.

I keep waiting for him to have another serious dramatic role, but his performance in the not-quite-as-funny stuff never reaches that same level.

supernaturalove

supernaturalove

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

Sam Witwar on Being Human. When I first saw him on Smallville he was a decent actor who made me like Davis, but I found him just another actor with good chemistry with AM, but on Being Human, SW is the acting standout for me. He plays Aiden so well and does such an awesome job at balancing, the meance, humor and edge to his character without making him a misunderstood woobie. I see no Davis in Aiden, nor Sam and I honestly was not sure SW had it in him, so his acting on BH has been the welcome surprise.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2011 @ 12:37 AM

I really liked Jim Carrey in "Love at First Bite", but only his performance in "The Truman Show" has made me think that his performances have been anything other than ridiculous.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Sadly, a bad kind of second-guessing for me lately is Summer Glau. I thought she was good in Firefly and I completely loved her in Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles. But I'm finding her kind of awful on The Cape.So, now I'm wondering is this just an one time thing, or she someone who is great at playing crazy or robotic, but sucks at everything else.

As an actress, Summer Glau is a great dancer. She's done a great job parlaying her gig as a Whedon nerd/fanboy pinup girl into a career playing...well, nerd/fanboy pinup girls on TSCC, Dollhouse, and now The Cape*. Can't say I blame her, though, especially when another actor of very limited talents who got his break, such as it was, through Firefly, is making a career out of playing himself, essentially. (Nor do I consider Adam Baldwin to be an actor of great range, either, while we're talking about Firefly alums. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think any members of the Firefly cast were great or even necessarily good actors, so it's not as if Summer Glau was the weak link on that show.)

...Speaking of second-guessing Whedon alums, I know Eliza Dushku gets slammed left and right for her wooden acting in her star vehicles, like Tru Calling and Dollhouse. However, I was rewatching Bring It On the other day, and she is effortlessly magnetic as the sassy, snarky, femslash-y sidekick. Maybe she needs to find a role like that to shine, one that wouldn't involve the strain of melodramatic heavy lifting.

I always thought Sam Witwer had it in him. He took a ridiculous, thankless role on Smallville and made it substantially less ridiculous and even compelling at points, so he deserves commendation for that. It's good to see him front and centre on a show, where he belongs.

*To be fair, if you've made a name for yourself in the genre TV ghetto, it's pretty hard to get out. Alyson Hannigan managed it with How I Met Your Mother, and David Boreanaz transitioned nicely to a lead on a successful (dressed-up) procedural, but the list of successful escapees is pretty short.

Edited by Blue32, Mar 13, 2011 @ 8:20 PM.

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 3:44 PM

She's done a great job parlaying her gig as a Whedon nerd/fanboy pinup girl into a career playing...well, nerd/fanboy pinup girls on TSCC, Dollhouse, and now The Cape

And on Big Bang Theory, where she played herself. Ironically, Eliza Dushku was on that as well, not playing herself.

<emabarrassed to admit it>I like Bring it On. I fell in love with Gabrielle Union in that.</embarrassed to admit it>

Simbas Uncle

Simbas Uncle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2011 @ 1:14 AM

I have to say that two Wheedonverse actors have left their previous personas behind. Nathan Fillion in Castle and David Boreantz (sp?) in Bones. The former did well on One Life To Live before moving West as well. Anyway, the former puts a little bit of James Rockford's humor into his mystery writer character, while the latter does great as a straight man for the scientists and as a quirky, but very competent, FBI agent. Very little trace of either Mal Reynolds or Angel (the prototype for all the current vampire heartthrobs in movies and TV) in either actor.

mnementh

mnementh

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 5, 2011 @ 11:20 PM

When I started watching Kings, I thought Sebastian Stan was awful. He was so wooden and bland, especially when Ian McShane was in the same scene. Then as the series went along and you learned more about Jack and what he was going through, you found out that there were reasons that he was like that at the beginning. By the end, Jack was my favorite character and his "punishment" just about broke my heart for him.

I was reminded of this when after seeing all the promotional stuff about Captain America, it was finding out Sebastian Stan was in it that actually made me interested in seeing it.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Aug 6, 2011 @ 11:03 PM

Sebastian Stan as Carter on Gossip Girl didn't register with me much, but then I saw him in Hot Tub Time Machine. He was actually pretty hysterical as the Evil 1980's Jock movie archtype, and I really enjoyed his character. I thought he did a pretty bang-up job with Bucky in Captain America, with the little he was given.

Chris Evans always seemed like the smart-aleck or goofy jock, and I was glad to see that he pulled off Cap's sincerity well. I honestly wasn't sure he could do it.

Finally, I had written Kristen Stewart off as a child actress who's skills didn't translate to adulthood, but then I saw her in Adventureland and The Runaways. She was good in Adventureland, and absolutely fantastic in The Runaways.

zomb

zomb

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2011 @ 3:48 PM

Sebastian Roché.

I've only seen him in Supernatural and Criminal Minds (though it appears he's been on Fringe too) but I can never tell whether he's a good guy or a bad guy until the character he plays reveals himself as such.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Aug 22, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

To Mark Pellegrino

Dear Sir,

I hated you the minute I saw you as Jacob on Lost. The character makes the witch-hunting villagers in Monty Python & the Holy Grail look like geniuses and part of my deep loathing for him stems from that. But a lot of it, sir, was your insipid performance. Really, you sucked, dude. It also baffled me that a number of posters in the Lost forum thought you were hot.

However, your participation in Totally Lost very nearly salvaged "Across the Sea" for me, and the conversation with Barry was very funny. Since Lost, I've also seen you in Being Human, a couple of other things I've forgotten, and The Closer and I am forced to admit you did not, in fact, suck in any of them. I thought you were really good, the characters were different, and I did not throw anything at my TV because "Jacob" ruined another show.

Mr. Pellegrino, you have proved me wrong and I thank you for it. I actually look forward to seeing you in other things.

P.S. I still don't think you're at all hot, though.

Beware

Beware

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

Lauren Ambrose.

I did think she proved herself as a talented actress in Six feet under, and I kinda liked her, but I pictured her doing artsy things on stage afterwards, not as material for big and popular stuff. Now she is one of the rare highlights of Torchwood: Miracle Day, exploding charm and wit all over the screen. Awesome.

The biggest conversion in my past life was Leonardo di Caprio, though. Took him as a pretty face for a long time, but then I saw Gilbert Grape, and afterwards waited impatiently for him to return to an role requiring actual acting skills. Finally happened years later.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2011 @ 2:59 PM

Lauren Ambrose fans - and I am one - should prepare to have their assumptions expanded again: she's been chosen to star in a rare revival of the musical play Funny Girl. And while I would have thought Lea Michelle or Idina Menzel would have been ideal (though not necessarily age appropriate to what the producers had in mind, maybe?) I think Ambrose is talented and striking enough that I'd actually love to see her in it.

getawayjordan

getawayjordan

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2011 @ 12:17 AM

I remember seeing Jamie Foxx and Vivica A. Fox in Booty Call and thought; What horrible actors they are. What an awful movie.

Some years later I saw Vivica in Why Do Fools Fall in Love and couldn't believe how much range she had as an actress. And of course Jamie won the Oscar for playing musical genius Ray Charles in Ray. I was very wrong about both of them.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

I owe Lucy Liu an apology. The only 2 expressions I'd ever seen on her face were bitchy and bitchier. IMO, a Holmes story succeeds or fails based on its Watson so I was dreading the result when she was cast in Elementary. I was wrong. She's very good and I'm very glad I was wrong.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

• Interests:hockey, horror, science fiction, mythology, food

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Yeah, Southland turned my opinion of her around and convinced me she's actually a talented actress who can portray a wide range of emotions beyond "smug." She's just been horribly, horribly limited by writing and direction up until the last couple of years.