ABC's This Week

• Please log in to reply

104 replies to this topic

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 8:41 PM

There isn't already a thread for this show, right? I've been looking for a few weeks now.

Michael J. Fox's appearance this week was fantastic -- seeing how the disease has really ravaged his entire body put Rush Limbaugh even more to shame, if possible. It looked as though Fox had indeed tried to mitigate the movement, not accentuate it, for those campaign ads. However, I did think that perhaps This Week should have used subtitles for parts of Fox's interview -- some of his points, especially the part about in vitro fertilization resulting in all those discarded embryos anyway, were lost due to his mumbling/talking too fast.

cette1965

cette1965

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 29, 2006 @ 9:14 PM

I saw part of his interview this morning also. I was struck by how much he was sweating and then they had to take a break until his medication kicked in. His movements were noticeably less spastic, but still jerky. I am completely sympathetic to Michael J. Fox and his cause. My husband has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis since 1990 and I know personally that the effects of these diseases are unpredictable and can manifest themselves in ways beyond the control of those afflicted. I think Rush Limbaugh was being a hyprocrite to criticize Fox for being honest about his hope for a cure for Parkinson's. If there had been a sufferer who felt differently, I have no doubt that the other side would have rushed to put them on the air.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 5, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

Nice to see Vice confirm that public opinion and even the opinion of other Republicans has absolutely no influence on this administration, in Iraq and anywhere else. Isn't an American president supposed to work for the people, representing the people? I wish George has asked him something like, "Is there anything that the American people or the Republican party or anyone could say or do that would influence this president's actions? And if not, why not?"

ETA: I watched kind of quickly today, but did George not talk about Ted Haggard at all? If not, wonder why.... I'm always interested in George's angle on religious issues, given his father's job (Greek Orthodox priest).

Edited by NicoleMN6, Nov 5, 2006 @ 9:42 PM.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

Isn't an American president supposed to work for the people

Yes, this is why he needs to be fired.

I liked how Cheney flat out said he would talk to the Senate if subpoena. Not that I thought this administration would. It has to be the most secretive bunch of people ever. Gee wonder why?

Corcat

Corcat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2006 @ 7:57 AM

Today, somewhere in Michigan or NYC Michael Moore is squeeing. I sort of want This Week to cover it, yet not.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2006 @ 5:25 PM

I wish George had gotten even tougher with Josh Bolten on the timing of the dumping of Rumsfeld. Bush's excuse in dumping him AFTER the elections was because he didn't want to make the Defense Secretary decision before the elections because it shouldn't be a political decision -- does that mean he wouldn't have dumped Rumsfeld if the Republicans had held Congress, or that he was planning to do it either way but just didn't want anyone to know about it? And isn't it unethical, at the very least, to withhold information from the public in order to essentially prevent voters from making educated decisions?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Nov 12, 2006 @ 5:26 PM.

Eliot

Eliot

Stalker

Posted Nov 12, 2006 @ 6:28 PM

Bush's excuse in dumping him AFTER the elections was because he didn't want to make the Defense Secretary decision before the elections because it shouldn't be a political decision.

That doesn't even make sense to me, and I wish George had pressed harder on that. If it "shouldn't be a political decision," doesn't that stand to reason that the timing shouldn't be a consideration at all? In which case, why wait until after the election?

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2006 @ 7:56 PM

Man, McCain has really gone back on a lot of his principles, I suppose in pursuit of the presidency. (I wonder if he'll finally lose it when the Bush team backs Jeb instead of him!) I'm glad George asked him some pretty pointed questions, notably on how he can say he didn't support the tax cuts but now thinks they have to be extended because, to paraphrase, "the American people have already planned their budgets based on the current tax cuts." It's just so sad -- I miss the straight-talker. Now he's just the talking-pointer.

parrotslave

parrotslave

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 8:04 AM

ITA, NicoleMN6. It was very disappointing. He's trying to suck up to the far right wing of his party, but he is alienating the moderates and independents in the process.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 1:18 PM

This show gets better and better. Normally I fast forward through the roundtable, but they made some great points this week. Maybe it was a combination of the topics being interesting and the four panelists being especially coherent. I never thought I'd say that about a Sam Donaldson panel -- he's not usually my favorite -- but it was a good mix.

BlueFish55

BlueFish55

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

NicoleMN6--How can you mention bad panelist hair and fail to mention Cokie's? Yipes!

I agree -- it was lively this morning. It needs to get even livelier because this country needs to figure out how to get out of the incredible mess W and Co. have made for us.

George Will's comments about the Congress were amusing also.

I guess if we couldn't laugh, we'd all be crying 24/7 these days.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2006 @ 9:13 AM

I've taken to muting Cokie.
But the woman never shuts up.
She interupts everyone and I wish George Will would lean over and punch her.

Ashforth

Ashforth

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2007 @ 10:34 AM

Oops, posted during the show because I was done watching it. Sorry!

Edited by Ashforth, Feb 11, 2007 @ 10:35 AM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2007 @ 12:55 PM

FINALLY, someone talks about the fact that this war has many more casualties than the technical number of deaths, because thousands of the "wounded" soldiers would have been dead in previous wars. The only reason they are (barely) alive is because of how much medical technology has advanced in the last 10, 20 years. If this war were taking place in the 1970s, we'd have three times the casualties. Modern medicine has made the war toll extremely misleading. Now, if only a newspaper or news magazine would figure out the real statistics here.

Donatella

Donatella

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2007 @ 6:31 PM

I'm late with this comment. But oh my, Bob Dole used the same plastic surgeon that his wife did. His eyes are so tight, he can barely blink. He has that look of perpetual surprise. <widens eyes> George looks great. It was quite a contrast to see George's more relaxed eyes and it felt more comfortable.

Paws

Paws

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

Has George had work done himself? Cuz I was watching GMA, I think in hi-def, while he co-hosted this morning and George looked smoking. It could just be these pregnancy hormones, though--- it's surprising how many men have started looking more attractive to me!

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2007 @ 6:57 PM

Hmm.... pretty tough interview today with John Edwards. I'd pay to see George ask those same questions of all the candidates -- Democrat and Republican -- but specifically Hillary. Any word on if she's coming on the show? Would be a real slap in his face if she doesn't -- if it's a conflict of interest problem, maybe another ABC reporter could do the interview itself.

Edited by NicoleMN6, May 6, 2007 @ 7:00 PM.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:53 AM

Why the heck was Bay Buchanan on the round table today? Three journalists and a Republican commentator? (One who looks like Pat Buchanan and Katherine Harris had a baby, I might add, given that this is Television Without Pity.) Did George have a cancellation at the last minute? I was excited at first that it was an all-female panel (were all the usual suspects barbecuing?), but she was totally inappropriate for this panel, and continuously held the discourse back by pumping up the Republican angle. Ugh.

I'm still wondering whether Hillary will come on this show. It would be a conflict of interest for George, but wouldn't it be more problematic for This Week to NOT interview a Democratic frontrunner?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Jul 1, 2007 @ 9:54 AM.

OLucy

OLucy

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2008 @ 1:50 PM

I just wanted to note that it would be sad to see the weekly "In Memorium" recognizing the passing of Tim Russert. Because there's no network boundaries when it comes to something like this.

But I had to go all the way to Page 11 and find the last post almost a year old? WTH?

Fetch

Fetch

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

Was anyone else watching this today? It was a lackluster presentation in general, but worse, they seemed to take joy in discussing the possible catastrophe of Hurricane Gustav. I was shocked when they said that it was the best thing for the Republican convention without even a hint as to why-- because it will devastate thousands of people! Thankfully, Cokie Roberts at least acknowledged that simple fact.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 31, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

George and Wolf Blitzer are both deliriously happy instructing the Republicans that their national convention needs to be cancelled as quickly as possible. The liberal bias is so transparent. It's laughable, good for comedy, but I cannot take these people seriously.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 5:46 AM

Wolf Blitzer liberal? That's a laughable assertion in my opinion.

Bless Cokie for telling the frat boys to shut it. I think it's really easy to see how this tragedy *plays* both ways, the liberals are giddy because of the foolish move by the Dobson Focus on the Family guy that was praying for it to rain on Obama's Invesco Field acceptance speech and the conservatives are giddy because Bush and Cheney have canceled their appearances in St. Paul and McCain gets to turn the convention into a PSA and or telethon for public service to assist hurricane victims. It's all ugly because Katrina was such a tragic example of neglect and there are at least two more storms headed this way.

I wasn't too impressed by Cindy McCain in her interview either she needs to harden her sensibilities, this is the hard boil politics.

Edited by EagerContrarian, Sep 1, 2008 @ 6:09 AM.

Coppercat

Coppercat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 9:56 AM

Word. She was "offended" by Obama's remarks about the multiple houses. If that offends her, she should try standing in Michelle Obama's shoes and being parsed for every syllable she says, to see if it's patriotically acceptable. Or Barack's shoes, for having the unfortunate luck of his middle name, which rightwing pundits gleefully use against him as if it were an epithet. And it's interesting how easily McCain slid out from under the cloud of his political-only choice of "spiritual advisors," while the Obamas are denounced as attending a "radical" church for 20 years while in the next breath Barack is still being suspected of being a Muslim. That's a pretty contorted set of co-existing suspicions, imo.

I can't believe Mrs. McCain had a straight face while expressing her wounded feelings. Her hothouse flower routine is a little precious for someone who believes she's from a tradition of hard work and gritty determination.

Boston Baked

Boston Baked

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 10:29 AM

I wasn't too impressed by Cindy McCain in her interview either she needs to harden her sensibilities, this is the hard boil politics.

But she gave such an impassioned argument of Sarah Palin's foreign policy acumen. She's experience cause you Alaska is just so close to Russia. So you know foreign policy experience through proximity.

I can't believe Mrs. McCain had a straight face while expressing her wounded feelings. Her hothouse flower routine is a little precious for someone who believes she's from a tradition of hard work and gritty determination.

She's vile. I can't believe she tried to make the argument that her story is somehow indicative of the "American Dream", and that she hopes all Americans can do the same. Bitch please! People are losing their damn houses and your husband doesn't even know how many he owns. Out of touch, much? Yeah, we know John McCain's American dream, discard your crippled first wife and find the richest, youngest woman you can find.

Jaclynovascotia

Jaclynovascotia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

I really like Cindy McCain. It's not her fault that a lot of people have made less than wise decisions about what they can afford in terms of housing. I like George's handling of people he disagrees with. He has a lot of class.

Edited by Jaclynovascotia, Sep 1, 2008 @ 11:12 AM.

Detective

Detective

Fanatic

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 12:00 PM

I've always found Cindy McCain very vapid (at best), but I did admire her generosity in adopting a needy child from Bangladesh. Sadly, in interviews she is the epitome of privileged trophy wife and it is NOT to her credit. It is also not her "fault" or to her "credit" that she is fabulously wealthy and wouldn't know how to work hard and arrange childcare, and try to save money for a down payment to afford a single home. I don't fault her for being rich but she needs to grow the hell up and realize that she has been extremely lucky and privileged. She needs to toughen up.

Edited by Detective, Sep 1, 2008 @ 12:01 PM.

Boston Baked

Boston Baked

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 1, 2008 @ 12:22 PM

I really like Cindy McCain. It's not her fault that a lot of people have made less than wise decisions about what they can afford in terms of housing.

While people should always try to make wise decisions, exactly how wise is it for mortgage companies to give loans to people who clearly had no way of paying for them. Where exactly is their responsibility? Not to mention the rampant fraud many of them engaged in.

Sadly, in interviews she is the epitome of privileged trophy wife and it is NOT to her credit. It is also not her "fault" or to her "credit" that she is fabulously wealthy and wouldn't know how to work hard and arrange childcare, and try to save money for a down payment to afford a single home. I don't fault her for being rich but she needs to grow the hell up and realize that she has been extremely lucky and privileged. She needs to toughen up.

Exactly. Would it kill Miss "Private plane is the only way to get around Arizona" to have an ounce of compassion for those who are not heirs to multi-million dollar beer distributorships. She's really just not a good spokesperson for the campaign, they really should just use her sparingly.

radicalmoderate

radicalmoderate

Fanatic

Posted Sep 2, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

This bit of Cindy McCain trying to pretend Palin has foreign relations experience is a hoot. For starters, Alaska is close to Russia, isn't the best argument, but it is the only full thought she made in that clip. I couldn't understand what the hell she was trying to get at.

Kudos to George for holding it together.

Edited by radicalmoderate, Sep 2, 2008 @ 11:45 AM.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 12:49 PM

Yes, that Alaska's close to Russia thing was pretty ridiculous and sadly made Cindy really give the term bimbo to blondes real relavence.

Coppercat

Coppercat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 3, 2008 @ 11:18 PM

Loved Jon Stewart's reaction to that on TDS when he heard it: "Alaska's also close to the North Pole, that must mean she knows Santa!"

Thanks, Jon, for punctuating the patently absurd with an exclamation point!