Property Virgins

• Please log in to reply

2791 replies to this topic

Dinya

Dinya

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 5:53 PM

I'm starting to hate my HGTV. The shows are so quiet I have to turn the tv up and then I get blasted on the commercials!

Me too! I think we should all write in.

I missed the beginning of the Toronto boys too. I don't know what their construction / flipping background was, but I certainly wondered if they bit off more than they could chew with that house. I'm sure they would have had a thorough property inspection done since I'm curious why it was selling less than what it could be.

And what was the deal with the upstairs bathroom in the second house? To have to climb over the toilet to get to the sink was just strange!

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 1:58 AM

I'm not sure they were going into it looking for a flip, they said at the beginning that they grew up together and wanted to move out of their respective parents places. So they decided that since they spend so much time together anyhow--they may as well move in together for the next 2-5 years.

They also expressed interest in renting out a space to help with the mortgage.

I agree though that I think they might be in for a shock with the potential renovation involved with the place they bought. Renovations are stressful and take far longer than expected. Not to mention, almost always go over budget. I think they'd have to throw in more than $50,000 to bring that place up to snuff. $50,000 ain't what it used to be. Unfortunately.

The bathroom in the second place was utterly bizarre! How does one get to that sink? You'd have to be very thin and very bendy. Odd.

The guys had almost $400,000--I'm surprised they didn't consider the 'burbs. I'm sure they could have got a new build for around that in some areas. Maybe a townhouse? I hate new builds myself, but it seemed a better fit for them.

michaeldh8

michaeldh8

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 7:19 AM

Tonight is the debut of this program in the US.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 11:17 AM

Ohhh have fun Americans with "our" show.

About the sound, I wouldn't have too much of a problem but when I watch in my room at night and do the turn up thing and blast on other channels my sister yells at me to turn it down. No duh.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 6:19 PM

The guys had almost $400,000--I'm surprised they didn't consider the 'burbs. I'm sure they could have got a new build for around that in some areas. Maybe a townhouse? I hate new builds myself, but it seemed a better fit for them.

They were looking for a place that would be an investment, as well as looking to move out of their parents' houses. All the places Sandra showed them needed some renovation or reworking. And the last one looked like it needed the least structural change and had the most potential for a good profit since it was in a trendy area.

I wonder how much of the work they are capable of doing themselves since their profit would depend on them making a good job of the renovations.

MonyMony

MonyMony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2007 @ 10:38 PM

I caught the first episode airing in the US tonight. I like the premise, but unfortunately, I spent the entire episode fixated on the poor animal that had to die to create the collar on Sandra's coat...

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 5:17 AM

Which episode was the first American taste of Sandra?

MonyMony

MonyMony

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 9:16 AM

Which episode was the first American taste of Sandra?

Couple, wearing dueling leather jackets in every scene, based in the Toronto area, that could only afford $225k due to their combined debt (motorcycle/car payments/$10k in credit cards). They were forced to look way East of the city. They hated the first two properties and loved the last, although Sandra seemed a bit put out that the woman wanted to bring her mom through for approval before making an offer.

LurkerNoMore

LurkerNoMore

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 2:17 PM

Hello to our friends up north! Knew this show was Canadian from the accents before they started showing landmarks.

I'll stick to House Hunters ... even though it is sort of fun to see a real estate agent bring the 'virgins' back to reality. I was wondering if the agent showed the couple in the leather jackets 2 homes that she knew they wouldn't like first, in order to get them to realize that the loved the 3rd home.

Their debt? Yeah, could you at least try to get out of credit card debt before taking on a mortage? These are the folks who will take out an interest-only ARM, and then ask for a bailout in 5 years when they can't afford the payments.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 24, 2007 @ 6:41 PM

Ohhh I didn't like them. They were rather rude.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 1, 2007 @ 5:47 PM

I saw my first episode last night. It's the one with the couple who worked in the bar on alternating shifts - he's the manager and she's a bartender. My husband and I laughed when they walked into their first choice neighborhood and thought they could afford the homes that turned out to be in the $500,000 - $1M range.

sunnyzwei

sunnyzwei

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 9:54 AM

I saw my first episode last night. It's the one with the couple who worked in the bar on alternating shifts - he's the manager and she's a bartender. My husband and I laughed when they walked into their first choice neighborhood and thought they could afford the homes that turned out to be in the $500,000 - $1M range.

Um, yeah. I thought that most folks research the prices in a neighborhood before they set their sights on house in ONLY that location. They REALLY were property virgins!!!!

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 1:27 PM

We bought our first house recently, so it's fun to see how other people handle their first home purchases. We researched the price ranges in different areas and got pre-approved for a mortgage before we even called a real estate agent. Based on this show and Buy Me, we must be a rare breed.

Marla Singer

Marla Singer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 2:19 PM

I saw my first episode last night. It's the one with the couple who worked in the bar on alternating shifts - he's the manager and she's a bartender.

The wife really irritated me at the end when she wanted to submit another counteroffer over a $5K difference. Part of me was hoping the seller would get pissed off and reject them.

We researched the price ranges in different areas and got pre-approved for a mortgage before we even called a real estate agent.

Everyone I know does this. I got the feeling this couple decided on Monday morning that they wanted a house and called the show that afternoon.

SnowDog

SnowDog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2007 @ 7:45 PM

The wife really irritated me at the end when she wanted to submit another counteroffer over a $5K difference.

That made me roll my eyes. It's a $275,000 purchase. Did she really want to risk losing the house they wanted just to save 1.8%?

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 8, 2007 @ 11:20 AM

I caught an episode of this last night and was surprised to see this year-old forum here. From the way HGTV promoted the show, I thought it was premiering last night.

But I did enjoy the episode, which was the one described below:

Couple, wearing dueling leather jackets in every scene, based in the Toronto area, that could only afford $225k due to their combined debt (motorcycle/car payments/$10k in credit cards). They were forced to look way East of the city. They hated the first two properties and loved the last, although Sandra seemed a bit put out that the woman wanted to bring her mom through for approval before making an offer.

My first reaction to the couple was on the negative side. They didn't seem all that committed to each other, making vague mentions of marriage in the future, maybe. Now, I realize some people just aren't into the whole marriage thing, which is fine, but quite honestly, these two didn't even seem committed to the living together thing. So I did wonder at why they wanted to sink $226K into a house that neither one of them could afford on their own. Heck, they probably found it really hard to afford it together.

Overall, I thought the show was a snarking good time. Clueless buyers, "tell it like it is" expert. All in all a recipe for a great show.

However, something about it just struck me as sad. I kept picturing the bank foreclosing on these two once they realized that buying more house than you can afford is not really a good idea, ever. Pencil in an hour (isn't that what was said?) commute both ways, and I can picture one or both of them bailing in less than a year, leaving the bank with this dream home. Lord, watching these real estate shows is depressing.

Of course, a "cup is full" person is probably reading this saying, dear lord Henry's Mom, why are you so darn negative? I'm sure those two go-getters did just fine!

But somehow I can't picture two people with something like $16K in credit card debt (he had over $10K alone) and brand new cars and a new motorcycle deciding that tightening their belts is a good thing. Call me cynical, but I kept picturing a little storm cloud hovering over their dream house, just waiting for the right moment to ruin their dreams.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Oct 16, 2007 @ 11:01 PM

I'm really not liking these episodes based outside of Toronto. I don't know the areas and I am losing the ability to feel high and mighty for not spending the ridiculous amounts to live in the city.
Just not as interested in the US episodes, but boy I wish I could get a house with that big of a backyard for around $120k (Cincinnati episode).

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2007 @ 4:15 PM

I don't like the episodes outside of Toronto so much either.

I also don't like that HGTV isn't showing Property Virgins at 6pm on Sundays anymore - that was pretty much the only time I could watch it.

Edited because I can't keep my shows straight.

Edited by Trey, Oct 19, 2007 @ 5:06 PM.

nutgoodie

nutgoodie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 25, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

Just caught these folks in a rerun. Wow did that agent have a strong Canadian accent or what? I agree with the agent that they were "typical first time buyers": Carrying loads of credit card debt yet wanting a house with bells and whistles. And they were also typical in that they needed a parental approval to buy a house. I know a few people whose parents ruined a first time realty purchase by putting the kabosh on the whole deal. Why I don't know. TBut this mom gave her blessing. I just hope they don't lose the mortgage - they seemed a bit stretched in the mortgage department.

GGMinn

GGMinn

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 26, 2007 @ 9:35 AM

I caught this re-run, also. I was seriously annoyed with this couple - would it have been so hard for the guy to give up his motorcycle for a while, until they get on their feet? They reminded me of the NASCAR hick demographic with the hang up on the new cars and motorcycles.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2007 @ 4:31 PM

I caught the matching leather jacket couple as well and wow around $700 (forgot exact numbers) a month for the car payments alone, plus the motorcycle and now a mortgage? I really do feel like they are way over their heads.
I like the show and like Sandra so will definetely keep watching--eventhough I have no idea when this show is supposed to be on.

Edited by blondie69, Oct 26, 2007 @ 4:32 PM.

nutgoodie

nutgoodie

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2007 @ 5:25 PM

And the Canada motorcycle couple: I wanted to tell that woman to be careful about marrying him and starting a family.....kids are expensive (even with buying only used stuff.....trust me that's 90% of what I buy) cause if he won't give up the cycle for a few years I don't want to be around when junior needs new shoes....and pants and school supplies and braces and sports fees, etc. I can see them in a few years with her sitting at home all weekend w/ the baby while he is off cycling. But hey at lest she'll have her mom!

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 8:07 AM

I can see them in a few years with her sitting at home all weekend w/ the baby while he is off cycling. But hey at lest she'll have her mom!

You have more faith in them than I did. I pictured them breaking up two weeks after they bought the house when they realized they needed to buy a lawnmower and one of them insisted on getting a top of the line riding mower while the other one suddenly realized that owning a house was going to barrel them even further into debt. Sometimes I just want to shake people and tell them that home ownership is <expensive>, way more expensive than renting. And time consuming. But nobody wants to hear about my fun filled weekend spent cleaning the gutters and raking leaves, so I'll talk about the episode I caught Sunday afternoon.

It was the one with the couple that had been together twelve years. He had numerous facial piercings, she had a cute gap in her teeth. I kept getting the feeling that the guy did not want to buy a house. He saw a need for it, for a place to do his sewing and play with his toys, but my gut feeling was that he was just going along with it and really hoped nothing would come of it. And in the end nothing did.

They looked at the three houses Sandra picked out for them, he didn't really like any of them. I think his phrase was that they weren't his taste. In other words, he wasn't going to go through the effort of actually picturing himself living in any of them because in his mind, it wasn't going to happen. So Sandra's harassing them to try to get hold of them, and they've gone off on their own to find a house. My thought was that the woman (Irene?) had gone off on her own to find the house, and showed it to the pierced guy as sort of a done deal.

But in the end, they didn't get that house either because they lost it in a bidding war. And I swear the pierced guy looked relieved. I can't say I blame him. If you don't want to buy a house, don't buy a house.

forsberg

forsberg

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 3:23 PM

I did admire the couple for not wanting to change their lifestyle and overspend for a house. Too many times on these shows, potential homeowners say they'll need to cut back on this and that and watch their spending in order to afford a home.

blondie69

blondie69

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

I caught an episode last night where a couple, tall guy and girl who had the hat on, that wanted an apartment attached to rent out. They seemed like an adorable couple and bought the last house.

Grommet

Grommet

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 7:56 AM

I saw that episode too. They were a very likable couple, and seemed quite reasonable. This show seems less staged than House Hunters, except for that opening scene in every episode where the buyers discover they can't afford the mansion by the water - shocking!

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2007 @ 7:58 AM

blondie69, was that the couple who had just moved here from France? They seemed like a nice couple who knew exactly what they wanted.

Last night's episode (possibly a rerun but I hadn't seen it before) was set in Cincinnati - that girl was so high on something! "Oh, I LOVE it" about just about everything. But she was cute and not too grating and respectful of her fiance's opinions - they were approved for $220,000 but he only wanted to spend $130,000. Of course reality changed his mind and they ended up with a house for about $165,000 and she was so happy with the house.

henrysmom

henrysmom

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 11:31 AM

I caught an episode last night that I'm assuming was a rerun. The buyer was Yusef, a young man looking to buy a house to convert into a duplex, so he could rent out half. He seemed like a nice guy, though a bit vague at times. I did enjoy how he insisted he was going to do most of the work himself, though his sister said she had never seen him pick up a hammer.

My favorite part of the show, though, was the end, where he has gone and bought the house without getting Sandra to help. She is obviously annoyed at his audacity and proceeds to pick apart his purchase until she finds something she can snipe about (not having a home inspection) and then does her best to trample all over his dreams. I really felt sorry for the guy. Yeah, he should have had a home inspection but she really did lay into him over it, I think more because she was annoyed at not being in on the purchase than out of any concern for him.

phylannoyse

phylannoyse

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 11:45 AM

That's why I like this show, it doesn't follow the formula where three houses are shown (are you listening "House Hunters"?) and they choose the best one and everybody's happy, amen.
Last nights show, they totally changed their mind, didn't buy anything and even broke up (temporarily, I hope) over the whole deal.
I always wonder how many HO's on "House Hunters" stay married. Some of those buyers look like a train wreck waiting to happen.

purplemonkey

purplemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2007 @ 12:19 PM

I didn't get to watch last night, but the promo says something like "Sandra teaches them the unwritten rules of homebuying". Really? 'Cause everything I've heard her suggest is pretty standard stuff. I just wish the execs would think a little when they write these things.