Property Virgins

• Please log in to reply

2792 replies to this topic

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Oct 25, 2006 @ 10:39 PM

I think this series is pretty new on HGTV Canada. I'm quite enjoying it for a few reasons - the snarky host ("typical property virgin!" she seems to say every epsidode), the fact that I know the locations and can gasp at the prices, and the fact that most of the buyers so far have been dolts and gone out and done their own thing without the host's help which leads to more snarkiness.

Looks like a promising addition to real estate Wednesdays.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 6:47 AM

I like this show too. One of the things I like the most (beyond the fact that I might possibly maybe actually be in the position to be on it) is that at the end they don't always buy. There was even a couple who broke up and ducked the host's trying to contact them!

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2007 @ 10:05 PM

New show today in the "Buying and Selling Houses" marathon.

Couple who've been together a year and a half, not married but ready to buy a house together. Masses of debt but hes not willing to give any of his man toys up. Pick out a house from Sandra's list and then need mom to check it out too. Wanna bet mom was co-singer?

I really do enjoy this show. I think Sandra has a good style. :D

Circus Poodle

Circus Poodle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

Is this show set in Canada or the U.S.? Because if it's set in Canada, it would be nice to be able to view various locations there.

I love when home-selling or home-searching shows list the price ranges. It makes watching the show feel like it has a purpose!

I daydream sometimes about living in Canada (but doubt I would, family is all here in the U.S.). This type of show could be the next best thing.

jpaik5520

jpaik5520

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2007 @ 10:54 AM

The show is in Canada, and from all of the episodes I have seen, they are all done in Toronto.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2007 @ 11:23 PM

Yes, all episodes are done in Toronto as that is where Sandra works. Darn, I missed a new episode?! I've been watching the same six for a while now, so glad there's more to come. Love Sandra!

RedRabbit

RedRabbit

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2007 @ 4:12 PM

I love Sandra too, shes so sassy and snarky but she knows her stuff!

I also like its set here in Canada.

But boy some of those people on there can be a might be picky, seriously paint can be changed OY

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jul 15, 2007 @ 5:13 PM

I'm watching one I haven't seen before thinking "those are odd Toronto accents". Its Fort Worth Texas. Wow Sandra!

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 16, 2007 @ 5:20 PM

Yeah, I was a little ticked it was in Fort Worth, Texas. I really enjoy the Toronto episodes because I am familiar with at least some of the areas they go into.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

The Texas episodes threw me off as well. I came in a bit late and she was showing this young guy a large ranch style home and asking him (and his parents) how much he thought it was going for--oh, maybe $140,000. I almost choked. This cannot be the GTA. Good luck getting a detached house under $300,000. Much less $200,000. The prices in the the Fort Forth area were quite shocking. They're actually affordable. I wish it was like that here.

But I do enjoy the GTA episodes much more, it helps get a sense of areas that are up-and-coming and ones to just dream about.

I cannot fathom the reactions of some people when faced with what their money can (and cannot) buy in this market. Not much. Get used to it or move further out. Simple as that.

Edited by oakgal, Jul 31, 2007 @ 12:33 PM.

Dinya

Dinya

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

I viewed into an episode late this past weekend, I think, and it was definitely not in Toronto either. I didn't notice accents, and I don't think it was in Texas, as it looked like a city with a real Canadian winter going on. Anyway, it was a young woman moving out of her Mom's house, and the house prices (for nice ranchers) was in the low to mid $100G (hence I knew it wasn't in Toronto or anywhere near I live -- Victoria). I don't think she ended up buying a house in the end.

Did anybody see the African-Canadian girl in a Toronto episode that was looking to buy a condo who was an absolute diva? She wouldn't even look at any places that required a little work. She eventually purchased a remodeled condo -- but just barely. Sandra had to tell her about the 35 year mortgage option so she could afford payments.

ETA: Anybody seen any of the British version of this show?

Edited by Dinya, Jul 31, 2007 @ 3:18 PM.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2007 @ 5:34 PM

Haven't seen any other versions, British, or Sandra in the US. Not sure what to make of them, as part of the appeal of the show to me is knowing the areas.
Yes, the condo girl was a treat. I think she was the one who got a bad feeling about the place and refused to look at it. Ugh.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Jul 31, 2007 @ 6:04 PM

Anyway, it was a young woman moving out of her Mom's house, and the house prices (for nice ranchers) was in the low to mid $100G (hence I knew it wasn't in Toronto or anywhere near I live -- Victoria). I don't think she ended up buying a house in the end.

and the one house that was pretty much perfect was rejected because it was too close to a "bad street". That was Texas too.

They are currently casting in the Southern Ontario, Cincinnati and the New York Tri-State area. My sister and her fiance are looking in the Niagara Falls area and I sooooo want them to apply but they said no.

http://www.hgtv.ca/h...roperty_virgins

madjad

madjad

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 7, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

I love watching this show for the snark and for the useful information.

My favourite features:

- Sandra's glee at the beginning of each show when she has the virgin(s) take her on a walk and show her the type of houses that they want - usually at least $100,000 out of their price range - at taking them back to reality.

- when Sandra shows the virgin(s) something that meets all of their criteria, is in their price range, but will take work to make it perfect and they cringe while she snarks.

- when Sandra starts honing in on the REAL reason why the person is having so much trouble finding a property (i.e. - they don't really want to leave mom, they aren't really sure about moving in with their intended S.O.)

- when Sandra inevitably takes the ones who are nasty and difficult to a property that is out of their initial price range just to watch their little faces fall when she tells them the price.

- learning so much about how to look at property - and how not to: i.e. paint is easy to fix, curtains are easy to fix, structure is HARD to fix!

- the looks Sandra gives the camera when people do something stupid and won't listen to her advice about why they are doing something stupid. (i.e. offering $50,000 below asking price).

I have the same love for Location, Location, Location - especially because they are even more snarky and with British accents to boot.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 7, 2007 @ 10:00 PM

- Sandra's glee at the beginning of each show when she has the virgin(s) take her on a walk and show her the type of houses that they want - usually at least $100,000 out of their price range - at taking them back to reality.

Something tells me that is Sandra's favourite feature too.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 11:30 AM

Dinya:

I viewed into an episode late this past weekend, I think, and it was definitely not in Toronto either. I didn't notice accents, and I don't think it was in Texas, as it looked like a city with a real Canadian winter going on. Anyway, it was a young woman moving out of her Mom's house, and the house prices (for nice ranchers) was in the low to mid $100G (hence I knew it wasn't in Toronto or anywhere near I live -- Victoria). I don't think she ended up buying a house in the end.

Was that the one who was looking for a house that had a rental unit in it too so the house would pay for itself? If so, that was set in Kitchener-Waterloo, near the universities. One house even had cute guy tenants already:) I don't believe she did buy any of the houses.

This week's episode was back in Fort Worth Texas area. Prices were reasonable but the houses were fairly ordinary but the woman did buy the nicest of the houses shown.

jpaik5520

jpaik5520

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 1:47 PM

Heh, Kitchener-Waterloo, my neck of the woods. I am not surpised she did not buy a house near the universities. A lot of them are very rundown (I lived in a couple when I went to school there). Many of them are now being torn down to make way for newer multi-apartment housing. I think the expense of fixing one up would be more than the offset of having a tenant.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 13, 2007 @ 10:15 PM

I think if I had that property virgin as a landlord, I'd be looking for a new place to live. She was quite happy, overly so, to be looking for a house. Prices are pretty good in KW, too bad it doesn't have better commuter trains, etc to Toronto. Plus I always get lost on highway 7 or 8, or both.

jpaik5520

jpaik5520

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 8:28 AM

Yeah, after years of renting I have just bought a house in KW. The prices are very good compared with Toronto and the GTA. The funny thing is that the small post-war brick bungalows that I thought would be my starter home are actually more expensive than the newer subdivisions closer to the edge of the city (but still well within city limits and on bus routes).

Dinya

Dinya

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2007 @ 1:13 PM

Was that the one who was looking for a house that had a rental unit in it too so the house would pay for itself? If so, that was set in Kitchener-Waterloo, near the universities. One house even had cute guy tenants already:) I don't believe she did buy any of the houses.

Nope. I saw this one too. This 'property virgin' actually seemed to have a level head on her shoulders, not that she actually purchased a house with an already constructed suite in it. I saw so little of the previous episode, that I really have no idea where it was. I looked like the Prairies, but then everything east of the Rockies does to me.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2007 @ 3:38 PM

The one I watched today is in my neck of the woods. Thorold/St Catharines. (I'm in Welland) One of the houses presented, but not bought, was in a friend's neighbourhood. I'm actually surprised they got the house for the price they did. St Cathrines isn't known for detached houses under $150.

They were a nice couple but in for some reality soon. Getting married in June and hes at his parents with mommy doing everything and shes renting.

Trey

Trey

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 6:13 PM

millk, I just watched this episode - I really liked it and thought the couple were really cute. I am so glad they did not buy the 3rd house with that eyesore across the road. I liked the first house better than the one they did buy but I can see that they were looking for a house that didn't need any work. Also liked that they were willing to look at ordinary type houses unlike so many newly marrieds who seem to think they should have an executive type house right from the start. Which house was in your friend's neighbourhood?

BTW, is there a thread anywhere for "Location, Location, Location" a British show with pretty much the same premise? I watched an episode of it yesterday but didn't get to see the end, with a couple looking for fish & chip or tea shop with attached living premises.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2007 @ 8:48 PM

My friend was in the last house's neighbourhood. (the big wall is something of a tip off though my friend is a street over)

Location Location Location

Edited by millk, Aug 19, 2007 @ 8:48 PM.

purplemonkey

purplemonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 11:27 AM

Aw, I'm not in Canada - this show sounds awesome. Does this article mean this will be airing in the US? The article doesn't mention Canada.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2007 @ 10:13 PM

Yes, they are shooting American episodes so I would assume it will start airing on HGTV in the US as well.

kbcubed

kbcubed

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 23, 2007 @ 11:32 PM

I recently saw what must be another of the Texas shows. The give-away (beside the accents and them mentioning Dallas) was the price of the "cute" houses. $80k!!

Ok - so they aren't much more than boxes with shared walls but when you live in a city where the rent on a 1-bedroom close to downtown is $1200 a month this is just laughable. Apartments and condos without land are minimum $250k and that's not even close to downtown. You hope for a decent walk to transit.

And the buyer thought she was approved for a no down-payment mortgage for the $80k?... and wasn't? Hoo Boy that was a great episode to play against the ones from metro TO.

Wonder if Sandra will ever make it to the wet coast and see what she can get for her virgins over here.

Edited by kbcubed, Aug 23, 2007 @ 11:33 PM.

gabby929

gabby929

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 24, 2007 @ 11:10 AM

I'm happy to have found this thread - have been loving this show since it started airing.

I have to say the Texas episodes have thrown me - I noticed most of the people on the show are looking to buy with 100% financing? Is that common in the US?

My favorite episode was the diva-girl who had the "hardwood floors, granite countertops, stainless steel appliances" mantra. She was so clueless! (and rude to Sandra, I thought). The funny thing was that she ended up in a condo that I know (I grew up about 5 min. away from it). She probably snagged the nicest in the building. I was hoping she'd be one of those that end up not buying - the only good thing is that she's in a mortgage up to her eyeballs for 35 years to come.

Edited by gabby929, Aug 24, 2007 @ 11:25 AM.

BuffyNut

BuffyNut

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 25, 2007 @ 2:58 PM

I love this show too, and can't believe how low the house prices have been in the US city shows. My favourite episode to date is the one with the flight attendant and her husband, from last season.

millk

millk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 4:59 AM

Ahhh, back to Toronto and the $400 000 fixer uppers.

I missed the first bit, were those guys all friends or a friends/brothers combo?

I'm starting to hate my HGTV. The shows are so quiet I have to turn the tv up and then I get blasted on the commercials!

sunnyzwei

sunnyzwei

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 20, 2007 @ 4:45 PM

millk I'm having the same prob with HGTV too! I have to put in on so loud then when I change the channel I get blasted out of the room cause the volume's up so high! How annoying.....but I'm addicted to HGTV so I guess I'll have to suck it up and deal with it! :)